PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft rebuilding

Mike.Gayner
29th May 2014, 08:34
Can anyone recommend someone to rebuild the crankshaft of my Kawasaki A7? I might struggle to source parts too, but I'm working on it.

iranana
29th May 2014, 13:43
Can anyone recommend someone to rebuild the crankshaft of my Kawasaki A7? I might struggle to source parts too, but I'm working on it.

Graeme Crosby. Here's a TradeMe ad for his services. Will be able to help you with parts too, I'd imagine

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=603060035

TLDV8
3rd June 2014, 00:01
Graeme Crosby.

I brought my Kawasaki H2B from Mollers in 1980,the same shop became Graeme Crosby Motorcycles in the 1990's ?
Anyway, it might have been in the 1990's sometime its a bit hazy now and I'm at his establishment asking about H2B parts.
They lent me the micro fiche (+ 73 Z1) and I end up going down town somewhere and these nuns (iirc) transferred said fiches onto paper.
I return them and some time later I go back with a list but have all the part numbers making me somewhat popular,pay for what was available on another visit.
I get the call there after of the box arriving from Japan and go and pick it up,while I am there 'The Croz (I have the book) must have heard H2 mentioned as he was going past the counter.
I end up getting a tour of the basement etc where Eric Bone was beavering away on restorations and got a NOS right hand switch block that was tucked away somewhere at cost price,legendary.
Great to see his current restorations.
If he was not a lead maybe Neville Lush in Adelaide could help,he built an H2 crank for me with billet rods etc.

Mike.Gayner
3rd June 2014, 09:22
I can source a second hand crank for a lot less than the cost of rebuilding mine. Measurements are within tolerance, but you never know what you're getting into with a used crank. A rebuilt crank would be a better solution in the long run, but a good used crank would give me a greater range of parts for future crank work. Decisions...

pete376403
3rd June 2014, 22:23
The photos you posted of the crank showed what looks like (to me) corrosion on part of the flywheels, almost like there has been water/oily acidic sludge in the bottom of the cases while the bike was sitting (acid is one of the byproducts of burning hydrocarbons, along with water.)
So possibly this has affected only one of the big end bearings (ie the one that was at BDC when it was parked up).

Not much use as far as getting another crank goes, but possibly a reason the existing one failed.

F5 Dave
5th June 2014, 19:34
And why all 2nd hand cranks are suspect. Ginger Malloy (oops spelling looks off) was the biz for older stuff. Not sure if he's still working.