PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian of Chinese & Indian descent living in Singapore moving to Auckland (rijac)

rijac
30th May 2014, 19:13
hello there. been lurking a bit while working the paperwork for my transfer and visa. now that its all firmed up, decided to join up!

Taking a job transfer to Auckland and will be starting work July 1. Plan on arriving last week of June.

Looking forward to (eventually) meeting up with bikers in NZ. Used to ride a Honda Fame 90 cc in the early 90s when I was a uni student and for a while after starting work in Kuala Lumpur. Back then you could get an L license, stick and L plate on a bike and off you go for 2 years without needing any tests or training... so i never bothered with the full license. Eventually moved to Singapore and wasn't able to ride. After many years decided to go through the process of getting a Sgp License. It took 9 months! and i got my license in january. Now i qualify for riding bikes up to 200 cc only. I have an Aprilia RS125 which will be gone in about a weeks time. But i found out Sgp licenses cannot be converted in NZ and I'll have to take a test!

So it will be a while before i can ride, i reckon but any advise on what's the shortest route to a license in NZ will be welcomed!

Photo attached is "Fiero" my soon to be sold RS.

oneblackflag
30th May 2014, 21:59
hello there. been lurking a bit while working the paperwork for my transfer and visa. now that its all firmed up, decided to join up!

Taking a job transfer to Auckland and will be starting work July 1. Plan on arriving last week of June.

Looking forward to (eventually) meeting up with bikers in NZ. Used to ride a Honda Fame 90 cc in the early 90s when I was a uni student and for a while after starting work in Kuala Lumpur. Back then you could get an L license, stick and L plate on a bike and off you go for 2 years without needing any tests or training... so i never bothered with the full license. Eventually moved to Singapore and wasn't able to ride. After many years decided to go through the process of getting a Sgp License. It took 9 months! and i got my license in january. Now i qualify for riding bikes up to 200 cc only. I have an Aprilia RS125 which will be gone in about a weeks time. But i found out Sgp licenses cannot be converted in NZ and I'll have to take a test!

So it will be a while before i can ride, i reckon but any advise on what's the shortest route to a license in NZ will be welcomed

Photo attached is "Fiero" my soon to be sold RS.

Hi welcome,

NZ license system http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/motorcycles/motorcycle-licence.html

If you do the new CBTA training you could have a full license in 12 months, and any bike you can afford

Look up the LAMS motorcycle list, you can have any of these once you get your learners, up to 650cc... Not fast sport bikes though.

nodrog
30th May 2014, 22:34
"Malaysian of Chinese & Indian descent living in Singapore ...."

walks into a bar....

rijac
30th May 2014, 23:03
And the bartender kept quiet lol

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

rijac
30th May 2014, 23:05
@oneblackflag thanks. I seen that. I W's the just wondering if I could skip the restricted phase since I have a foreign license. Seems like I can't

oneblackflag
30th May 2014, 23:36
@oneblackflag thanks. I seen that. I W's the just wondering if I could skip the restricted phase since I have a foreign license. Seems like I can't

Thinking about it more...you sure you can't? Cause a little trick some do is go to Rarotonga get a license then just sit the full test here... Would be stange if you couldn't just sit the full license test, dig some more. Have you talked to the NZTA about it?

rijac
30th May 2014, 23:37
I'll give them a call when I get there I guess. Thanks.

rijac
31st May 2014, 00:15
For what it's worth, let me share the painful Singapore licence process. 1st you got to sign up with a school. You have to take 8 compulsory modules. Each lesson is 90 minutes and in theory you could pass each module in 1 lesson but in reality it takes 2 or 3 tries for some modules. The modules are for circuits and road practicals. For example doing figures 8 in under 11 seconds and starting of on a slope without rolling back is part of 2 module. Others are things like balancing on a narrow lane for more than 6 seconds and ebrake etc. Due to limited classes it can take 2 to 3 weeks to clear a module. Getting through all 8 can take 3 to 6 months. Only after module 8 can you book your test. The waiting time for test is 2 months. If you fail you wait another 2 months. If you pass you get class 2b which allows you to ride bikes up to 200 cc. After 12 months on this you can then book into school again for 3 more compulsory modules. Basically the same as class 2b but only the circuit part. No road component. If you clear the 3 modules you can book the test and wait 2 more months. Then you get class 2a which allows you to ride up to 400cc. After 12 months you repeat the 3 modules for class 2 which is open and full and you can ride your hayabusa. I only got my class 2b in Jan so I'm psyched that I can skip 2a...

rijac
31st May 2014, 00:16
As far as I am concerned cbta rawks!

russd7
7th June 2014, 08:36
For what it's worth, let me share the painful Singapore licence process. 1st you got to sign up with a school. You have to take 8 compulsory modules. Each lesson is 90 minutes and in theory you could pass each module in 1 lesson but in reality it takes 2 or 3 tries for some modules. The modules are for circuits and road practicals. For example doing figures 8 in under 11 seconds and starting of on a slope without rolling back is part of 2 module. Others are things like balancing on a narrow lane for more than 6 seconds and ebrake etc. Due to limited classes it can take 2 to 3 weeks to clear a module. Getting through all 8 can take 3 to 6 months. Only after module 8 can you book your test. The waiting time for test is 2 months. If you fail you wait another 2 months. If you pass you get class 2b which allows you to ride bikes up to 200 cc. After 12 months on this you can then book into school again for 3 more compulsory modules. Basically the same as class 2b but only the circuit part. No road component. If you clear the 3 modules you can book the test and wait 2 more months. Then you get class 2a which allows you to ride up to 400cc. After 12 months you repeat the 3 modules for class 2 which is open and full and you can ride your hayabusa. I only got my class 2b in Jan so I'm psyched that I can skip 2a...

hell, i wish it were that easy in NZ, here ya have to first go do a basic handling skills test with a driving instructor (takes around ten minutes) then ya go do the theory test (dont need to know the road code, just buy the practise tests and learn them) then ya get ya L Plate and ya good to go on any lams approved bike up to 660cc, ride that for six months and then o do the practical test ( about an hour ) then you get ya restricted still only allowed lams bikes, ya on that for eighteen months then ya can go do ya full and ya good to go, not on a hyabusa tho, better off with a zx14. all this can be shortened by doing the CBTA which has been mentioned which means in theory you could have ya full in 12 months from doing ya basic handling test

rijac
8th June 2014, 04:09
Thanks. I'll be leapfrogging my peers who took the first test with me. When I'm on full they will still only be able to ride up to 400cc.

gammaguy
8th June 2014, 06:06
Thanks. I'll be leapfrogging my peers who took the first test with me. When I'm on full they will still only be able to ride up to 400cc.

Only one problem

Open up a hayabusa on the pie or ecp and what happens... Either run out of road or get ticketed or hit a truck lah

Thats why I keep my toys in new Zealand...singapura is for scooters

rijac
11th June 2014, 03:24
Only one problem

Open up a hayabusa on the pie or ecp and what happens... Either run out of road or get ticketed or hit a truck lah

Thats why I keep my toys in new Zealand...singapura is for scooters

Well there's always the run up to kl or Thailand. My friend just did a trip to chiengmai from Singapore on a vfr 800

rijac
15th June 2014, 20:36
So.. I was reading that the rs250 is not lams approved. Does that mean the rs125 is?

sidecar bob
15th June 2014, 21:17
Cool, I have the exact same RS125. I first saw them (dozens of them) at Mah Motorcycles in Serangoon Rd while I was in & out of there frequently a few years ago.
At that point, Importing one proved too difficult, Kevin Mah wanted to do a deal on half a dozen, & so I got a new one locally.
I assume you have dug a hole in the back of the CDI box & cut the bridge to get rid of the flat spot just as it comes onto the pipe?

rijac
23rd June 2014, 21:45
I've arrived in auckland! @sidecar I decided to sell it in the end. No time for biking for now. Need to find a house!

ikov
5th July 2014, 17:02
Hey matey,

Best way to get around to a NZ license is simple. If they wont let you convert then dont sweat it. If you're in the Auckland region, look up ProRider. They do practically everythin u need to know and do.

Step 1: do basic handling. (Requirement)
Step 2: do theory test. (Requirement + always good to know the road rules of a new place... cant hurt)
Step 3: buy bike (there might even be a Aprilia 125rs at colemans suzuki from memory)
Step 4: get in touch with ProRider and tell them what you want to do (They'll sort you out with CBTA instruction and testing)
Step 5: do Ride Forever courses (These are $20 full day courses subsidised by accidents claims and compensation <ACC>)

I did my bronze course before my full licence test for practice and it was thoroughly enjoyable and total overkill for the conventional test, but the CBTA does things like on the course simply because the CBTA system now judges you by skill and not how long you've held a license.

I reckon you could bash it out pretty quick.:2thumbsup

rijac
10th July 2014, 23:12
Thanks @ikov

rijac
28th August 2014, 09:44
so i finally got round to contacting NZTA. my Singapore class 2B license (up to 200cc) can be used in NZ for the first 12 months but i must adhere to the restriction on engine capacity. but the good news is i can convert straight to Class 6F and skip the 12 months restricted phase but i still must do a test.

Thanks all for the inputs.