PDA

View Full Version : Review: Jakewilson Q3 tyres + Revzilla 2-piece suit & boots

jafa21
10th June 2014, 20:30
Review: Jakewilson.com - Q3 tyres
Item purchased: Q3 Dunlop Sportmax set
Size: 120/70ZR-17 + 190/55ZR-17
Bike: ZX10
Cost: $250 USD + $110 shipping = $360 USD = $437 NZD (at the time)
Shipping time: 5 days to Auckland
Customs: Didnt pay any duty or GST

Q3 tyres are awesome. I have always heard people talk about feeling how much grip you have and trusting your tyres and tyres giving more confidence, but never really knew what it meant. Q3 felt bit odd for first 100-200 kms. Must break them in. I went to coro and broke them in. On the way back they felt great. Did a track day and results were amazing. I got my knee down on the first session for the first time in my life. By the end of the day i was getting my knee down on all corners almost every lap. I dont see why i will ever try any other tyres. These are the best full stop.

Jakewilson were great. no issues with them. Placed an order online, got an email with confirmation and pretty soon after that recived the tracking number. I was amazed with the speed of the shipping. Came to Auckland in 4 days. I wanted to use Revzilla but Revzilla dont ship tyres, so ended up using Jakewilson. Will use Jakewilson again for my next set of Q3s :)

Review: Revzilla.com - Alpinestars gear
Item purchased: Alpinestars Carver 2 Piece Race Suit + Alpinestars S-MX Plus Boots. Both are on closeout sale.
Cost: $600 USD for 2 piece suit + $270 USD for boots + $100 USD shipping = Total $970 USD = $1150 NZD (at the time)
Shipping time: 7 days to Auckland + 7 days NZshop/Courier post mucking around

I went to cyclespot and tried Alpinestars gear. Different models but the jacket and pants are the same size for all models (so i have been told).
Decided on a szie and ordered through Revzilla. Same process as Jakewilson but for Revzilla you have to wait for somebody to assess your cart for international shipping and work out a price. This can take a day (max).
The order arrived in Auckland in a week. So i monitored the tracking number for another week and it just sat in Auckland with NZ post doing nothing. Decided to give them a call and turns out my details were damaged on the way so they were waiting for me to ring and give them the details. Not sure why they cant find my details through the tracking information. Anyway finally got the gear last night. Couldnt be happier. Fits really tight. Gonna break it in. Looks awesome. Happy and excited about my new gear.
I love Revzilla and tony from the videos. There videos are awesome. I am always watching the reviews, guides etc on there. Very informative and helpful. I wished we had something like that in NZ. ANyway will definitely be ordering from Revzilla again if i need to. In case you didnt know about the videos heres a link to their channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/RevZillaTV . They have reviews of almost everything.

Questions Welcome :)

Erelyes
10th June 2014, 20:34
RT, where are you? :jerry:

R650R
10th June 2014, 20:59
RT, where are you? :jerry:

Jafa just wiped a small provincial dealer of the face of the earth with that purchase ;p

Dodgy
11th June 2014, 12:46
Good stuff, thanks for this :drool:

Moise
11th June 2014, 22:40
Jafa just wiped a small provincial dealer of the face of the earth with that purchase ;p

Well this is some of my experience of buying in NZ. Bought a Shoei Raid 2 helmet from a dealer. No carton or handbooks but I did get the bag. After I'd owned it for about 2 years, checked the date of manufacture. Turned out it was 3 years old when I bought it!

Looking at boots in a dealer. Sales guy recommended one but they didn't have it in my size. Sorry it's on back order, 6 weeks.

jafa21
12th June 2014, 07:56
I agree moise. Most of the time nz shops don't have what I am looking for, and if they do they won't have my size and if they do it will be over priced.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ducatilover
12th June 2014, 09:12
How do you find those Q3s in the wet Jafa? I have heard good things about them, and at that price!

jafa21
12th June 2014, 21:09
Haven't had them for long enough to ride them on wet. Don't know sorry. But they ate great in the dry

jafa21
12th June 2014, 21:09
Are*

Rcktfsh
12th June 2014, 21:17
I went to cyclespot and tried Alpinestars gear. Different models but the jacket and pants are the same size for all models (so i have been told).
Decided on a szie and ordered through Revzilla.

I agree moise. Most of the time nz shops don't have what I am looking for, and if they do they won't have my size and if they do it will be over priced.

Lucky Cyclespot were at least able to provide a free fitting service at least. I'm sure they appreciate your generosity.

jafa21
12th June 2014, 21:18
Haha. I have given them more of my business than they deserve. Trust me.

jafa21
12th June 2014, 21:20
On another note. The girl that works there is very helpful. Much better than some of the chumps downstairs. Once I asked for price's for equivalent tyres of s20. I was told that's too much work on my face.

HenryDorsetCase
12th June 2014, 22:18
Just on this topic* a mate of mine is a relatively new rider, on his second bike a kawasaki ADV bike. Went to the local shop because it needs new tyres and was put off by the fuckwits there.

What business does that in this day and age? this guy had a bike and they had tyres yet shitty service means they lose out not only on this sale but ANY potential of making any future sales. Its like the fucking 1970's.

*i.e. a lot of motorcycle shops suck donkey cock

On topic: on what planet does it make sense that someone can privately import a set of tyres and have them landed cheaper than they can be bought off the shelf from the importer? That is just fucked, and while I might be a bit sympathetic to a retailer, their problems with their fucked supply chain are, well, their problems.

I fucking love internet shopping.

R650R
13th June 2014, 06:54
Well this is some of my experience of buying in NZ. Bought a Shoei Raid 2 helmet from a dealer. No carton or handbooks but I did get the bag. After I'd owned it for about 2 years, checked the date of manufacture. Turned out it was 3 years old when I bought it!

Looking at boots in a dealer. Sales guy recommended one but they didn't have it in my size. Sorry it's on back order, 6 weeks.

I was being funny. I'm into online shopping too when its worthwhile.
Myself and Ereyles were referring to Roberts rantings in the youshop thread...

Mongolian
13th June 2014, 07:37
Cost: $250 USD + $110 shipping = $360 USD = $437 NZD (at the time)
Shipping time: 5 days to Auckland

Cost: $600 USD for 2 piece suit + $270 USD for boots + $100 USD shipping = Total $970 USD = $1150 NZD (at the time)
Shipping time: 7 days to Auckland + 7 days NZshop/Courier post mucking around

How did you manage not to pay duty on those orders I am staggered. did they list the price on the customs declaration?

jafa21
13th June 2014, 07:52
Both online shops I dealt with declare everything as they are pretty well known and big companies. I guess I was lucky

jafa21
13th June 2014, 08:04
What business does that in this day and age? this guy had a bike and they had tyres yet shitty service means they lose out not only on this sale but ANY potential of making any future sales. Its like the fucking 1970's.

Sad thing is we don't have much choice. When I was shot down by cyclespot about tyre prices I walked out thinking I am never setting foot in this place Again. Due to availability I ended up buying the tyres from them that same week and many other items since then. Because of supply and demand these guys behave like absolute assholes to their customers without any consequences. I hate them but I still go back there cos sometimes I just have to. On a positive note motomail on college hill road and motoone online shop run by Richard in manukau are both awesome. Great service.

Just on this topic* a mate of mine is a relatively new rider, on his second bike a kawasaki ADV bike. Went to the local shop because it needs new tyres and was put off by the fuckwits there.

On topic: on what planet does it make sense that someone can privately import a set of tyres and have them landed cheaper than they can be bought off the shelf from the importer? That is just fucked, and while I might be a bit sympathetic to a retailer, their problems with their fucked supply chain are, well, their problems.

aderino4
13th June 2014, 10:55
Sadly that's the world/ market we live in.

It's not the shop issue but personnel issue.

I've had my fair share of bad experiences with pretty much every shop on Barry's point road even Motomail.
It's down to the person that I have to dealt with at that point in time.

I found that if you speak to the shop owner, they are more gracious about it, serves you well and listen to your complain.
It's a shame that it's not easy for them to get their staff to do the same thing.

Nowadays I just take it with a grain of salt; if I walk into the shop and I don't get a good service, I walk away. Fire a quick email to the owner to let them know that some of their staff need to get a kick in the but.

Because if they don't know then they can't fix the problem.

The whole GST duty thing; well customs are just human they often miss things.

Good to know about jakewilson; we've been having trouble trying to source Pirelly tyres because it seems that no one in NZ has them in stock and new stock is 6 weeks away at least at 50% more expensive than what everyone else in the world pay for them.
Again this is not the fault of the shops instead this time it's the importer.

MVnut
13th June 2014, 15:10
Sadly that's the world/ market we live in.

Good to know about jakewilson; we've been having trouble trying to source Pirelly tyres because it seems that no one in NZ has them in stock and new stock is 6 weeks away at least at 50% more expensive than what everyone else in the world pay for them.
Again this is not the fault of the shops instead this time it's the importer.

Yes.....Importers.....years ago I got hold of a container of the latest Pirellis, retail NZ$329 at the time (eg rear), dealer cost was said to be $299. I could get them to the bikeshop door and make 30% profit at $117 ..................sad in a way

aderino4
13th June 2014, 15:13
Yes.....Importers.....years ago I got hold of a container of the latest Pirellis, retail NZ$329 at the time (eg rear), dealer cost was said to be $299. I could get them to the bikeshop door and make 30% profit at $117 ..................sad in a way

So cost was $90, dealer is stung with 300% margin.. nuts........

I guess the lesson here is never pay retail for anything.

Reckless
13th June 2014, 17:08

So cost was $90, dealer is stung with 300% margin.. nuts........

I guess the lesson here is never pay retail for anything.

Trouble is when we vote with our feet and buy overseas the poor bugger in the shop has to close down with his miserable $29 bucks on that tyre. About sums it up aye??
I've bought heaps of stuff overseas, especially MX, in the end you form a relationship with the likes of BTO sports.
It becomes easy to buy, you trust them and they trust you. You just start from the last email even if its 3-6 months later.
In business the majority of relationships I have are via email now days we deal in thousands of dollars and we never ever meet! Its normal now and it wont change.
At least sites like Torpedo 7 have bought the costs down enough so we can support the NZ dealer?

Even if the govt takes the $400 Gst thing off its still worth paying another 15% The importers and double margins are killing it!
It wont change, they will have to, or the retailers will have to tell the importers to get their shit together.
The worlds a small place now I've noticed a huge decrease in the costs of freight. The freight decrease alone is more than if we had to pay the GST.
Like most here I'm happy to support local by paying extra but not 100% extra.
We'd even put up with the slack service if the price was reasonable
They need to sort their shit out, Google, bankcards, internet it ain't gonna change