PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the fine for riding a bike outside your licence CC restriction?

fpsware
23rd January 2004, 13:09
And if anyone has been caught doing so, have you been able to talk your way out of it?

bungbung
23rd January 2004, 13:52
I think there is a flat fine for breaking licence conditions. This can include stuff like time limits, whether you need to wear glasses etc.

This (for correcting lenses) is $400.

wkid_one
23rd January 2004, 14:08
And an extension to your license restriction

Motoracer
23rd January 2004, 14:12
What fine? :innocent:

I have been pulled over countless number of times and no one seems to know about the rule that says you can't ride a 400 with out your full. If you ride a R1 on your ristricted then that might be obvious enough but you can get away with a 400 almost every time. I've been on the ZXR 400 for about 4 years now and I still haven't got around to getting my full yet. :o

jrandom
23rd January 2004, 14:18
Yes, the fixed penalty for breaking license restrictions is $400 and 25 license points a pop. This means that, say, if you're pulled over while carrying a pillion on a 400cc with no L-plate, on a learner license, down the motorway at 100kph, you could be out $1600 and an instant 100 points (and therefore no license for three months).

In my limited experience the cops are pretty reasonable with these rules, though... generally if you've been pulled over on some other generic thing the license restrictions will get you an earful but they won't bother ticketing you on both so you'll (hopefully) get off with the standard $150 traffic fine for crooking your little finger in the wrong direction as you go round a corner, or whatever.

Lesson is to get onto the restricted and then full as fast as possible, and try not to get pulled over in the meantime.

Slim
23rd January 2004, 14:25
From the LTSA Site: (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz)

What if I break the conditions of my learner or restricted licence?
Each time you are caught offending you will get 25 demerit points and a $400 fine or a fine of up to $1,000 if you are summoned to appear in court. If you crash, your insurance claim could be delayed or declined. Licences are suspended for three months if a driver gets 100 or more demerit points within two years (and in addition to more court appearances, vehicles can be impounded for 28 days if a person is caught driving with a suspended licence.

Motoracer: I have a strange feeling that your learner or restricted licence (whichever applies) may expire. Might pay to check before you have to start the whole process again! :eek5:

Motoracer
23rd January 2004, 14:35
After you alrmed me for a sec there slim, I just had a quick look at my licence. Turns out I have another 6 years till it expires:cool:. I should get my full sometime this year hopefully anyway. Its just about haveing to spend another $180 (car+bike) for yet another thing.

Slim
23rd January 2004, 15:07
After you alrmed me for a sec there slim, I just had a quick look at my licence. Turns out I have another 6 years till it expires:cool:. I should get my full sometime this year hopefully anyway. Its just about haveing to spend another $180 (car+bike) for yet another thing.
I just rang the LTSA to check. Even if your current licence expires & you then renew it, you will still be on learner/restricted that you were on previously.

Dunno where I got the idea you had to get the next step in your licence done within a certain period of time. :shutup:

Hitcher
23rd January 2004, 15:35
This is one area where the LTSA and Police are prepared to cut riders some slack. The reason: there are many bikers out there on NZ roads who have been riding bikes for years -- some over 25 -- who don't have class 6 licences!! (yes possums, it's true!). Both the LTSA and the cops are keen to get these guys (they're pretty much exclusively boys) licenced and legal, hence the slack cutting to riders on restricted tickets (unless they're younger than 25 years).

This programme is one of the drivers behind the competency-based class 6 restricted licence exemption programme being pilotted in Wellington and Auckland (through accredited LTSA instructors). You can even apply for an exemption to do the formal parts of this programme on "the bike you normally ride". Get a full class 6 green licence in four months!!

But remember that cops generally pull riders over for a reason other than wanting to look at their licence (speeding, dangerous riding, failure to stop, indicate, yada yada yada) so you're probably going to get pinged for that offence anyway.

So if slack is being cut, don't abuse the priviledge and f*** things up for everybody else!!
:Oops:

Slim
23rd January 2004, 16:04
Talking about slack being cut .....

I was t-boned by a lady in a Triumph Spitfire who'd only had her licence taken off her a week before she "met" me for dangerous driving, and at the time I only had a restricted c@r licence. The time of the accident was after 10pm.

The officer who attended was most apologetic when he visited me in the A+E later that evening, saying that he had to write me a ticket because of all the other paperwork that had been done, so he gave me a Wrong Class of Licence ticket for a whopping $50!!! :niceone:

Some weeks later when the owner of the bike was trying to drag money out of the lady who'd hit me, she did a big bleat about me not having a motorcycle licence, so he turned around & told her flat out that at least I had some sort of licence, which was more than she could say! :mad:

Andrew
23rd January 2004, 20:04
I have a full car license and a restricted motorcycle license. The trouble is that my license says "Restricted license" at the top. This means that you have to read the fine print on my license in order to determine that it is also a full car license.

There was this one time when I was driving in the car after 10pm with a bunch of mates in the back. I got pulled up by cops doing compulsory breath testing. The cop asked for my license and told me that I had a restricted license. He said that I was breaking my license on two accounts and that I would have a $800 fine. When he started to write out the ticket I told him to take a harder look at the license because it was actually a full car license. The cop just thought I was being smart but he looked at it anyway. After a lot of negotiating with his coworkers he gave my license back and said "sweet as drive safely".

Well I didn't seem to think that it was seet as, this rude cop didn't even apologise for taking 10 mins of messing me around to acknowledge that I WASN'T breaking the law in any shape or form.

:Offtopic: but makes me think a lot lower of cops.

Andrew
23rd January 2004, 20:09
Also when I was coming home from work today I got pulled up by a bike cop. He asked me if I knew what he pulled me up for? I thought it could be failure to stay in the lane, because I was lane splitting. This wasn't the reason, he didn't like the fact that I went over a yellow light.

He then did a rego check, WOF check, and license check. He said that if I had failed to have WOF, REGO, or an L license, that he would have ticked me $150.

If you go over a yellow light does that mean you're breaking the law? From what I could pick up he didn't seem to be able to ticket me - is this correct? Or was he just legally able to give me a ticket, but let me off with a warning? :Police:

wkid_one
23rd January 2004, 21:10
He can only if it is deemed unsafe to do so - or the cop feels you had adequate time to stop on the amber.

Here is another useless fact. In NZ, the road rules are such - that provided you have entered an intersection on a green light - you are allowed to exit the intersection regardless of the light. I had an argument with a cop that based on this - if I crept over the white line at the lines, I have theoretically entered the intersection and could therefore exit on an orange or red......and it actually worked.

Big Dog
24th January 2004, 03:29
I have a full car license and a restricted motorcycle license. The trouble is that my license says "Restricted license" at the top. This means that you have to read the fine print on my license in order to determine that it is also a full car license.
You could always demand to have the two licenses printed seperately. Cost:$10 per copy (or it was in 2000 anyway.).

That way you will get a green full license and a yellow learner. For the sake of twenty dollars it could save you a lot of hassle. Unless you normally upgrade both licenses on the same day they should have been seperate any way.

sAsLEX
24th January 2004, 08:28
With regards to holding a Full car license and learners bike, do the time restrictions still hold true??

I have had my full car license for years now and dont wish to have to wait till I get my full to ride after hours :no:

P.s. Where is a good biker friendly place around Auckland to get restricted/full license tests done??

spudchucka
24th January 2004, 10:30

There was this one time when I was driving in the car after 10pm with a bunch of mates in the back. I got pulled up by cops doing compulsory breath testing. The cop asked for my license and told me that I had a restricted license. He said that I was breaking my license on two accounts and that I would have a $800 fine. When he started to write out the ticket I told him to take a harder look at the license because it was actually a full car license. The cop just thought I was being smart but he looked at it anyway. After a lot of negotiating with his coworkers he gave my license back and said "sweet as drive safely".

Well I didn't seem to think that it was seet as, this rude cop didn't even apologise for taking 10 mins of messing me around to acknowledge that I WASN'T breaking the law in any shape or form.

:Offtopic: but makes me think a lot lower of cops.

The Land Transport Act allows the police to detain a driver at the road side for up to 15 minutes in order to establish identity and licence details etc. The cop had nothing to apologise for, if he was rude thats another matter.

spudchucka
24th January 2004, 10:36
With regards to holding a Full car license and learners bike, do the time restrictions still hold true??

I have had my full car license for years now and dont wish to have to wait till I get my full to ride after hours :no:

P.s. Where is a good biker friendly place around Auckland to get restricted/full license tests done??

The restrictions that apply to your bike licence will apply regardless of what other full licence classes you hold. Obviously they only apply to when you are riding a bike.

sAsLEX
24th January 2004, 15:02
Thats what I thought, will have to speed up the getting of a full license then :yes:

georgedubyabush
25th January 2004, 08:43
I've had the exact same situation as Andrew also

marty
25th January 2004, 09:31
And an extension to your license restriction

there is no longer an extension added to the licence - that went out in 1998 with the new Land Transport Act. It is simply a $400 fine for ANY licence breach, including 'wrong class of licence', which used to be $55.

all licence breaches carry 25 demerits.

and it is an offence to fail to stop for an amber traffic signal. generally, you will get a ticket from a traffic car, if the opposing light has turned green, and you are still in the intersection, as the phase timing is usually enough to allow someone travelling at the speed limit to enter the intersection as the light turns orange, and be exited before the opposing traffic turns green.

in reality about the only bikers that get tickets for breaching thier 6L/6R are gang members - demerits = suspension = impoundment = jail time.

Drunken Monkey
27th January 2004, 07:24
He can only if it is deemed unsafe to do so - or the cop feels you had adequate time to stop on the amber.

Here is another useless fact. In NZ, the road rules are such - that provided you have entered an intersection on a green light - you are allowed to exit the intersection regardless of the light. I had an argument with a cop that based on this - if I crept over the white line at the lines, I have theoretically entered the intersection and could therefore exit on an orange or red......and it actually worked.

This is only true in so much as you are only allowed to enter an intersection IF it is clear enough for you to pass through it without blocking the intersection...Glad you talked your way out of it tho.

Slingshot
27th January 2004, 13:08
In the Dominion Post today there's an write-up about the police taking a zero-tolerence to Licence resrtrictions.
It's come about after the young lady was killed in the weekend in a car crash, she was only on her learners and was carrying passengers and had no L-Plate.
Bad news for all of us L-plate riders that chose to break the rules :mad:

Motoracer
27th January 2004, 13:28
Haha, lucky for me, I have gone from 400 to 250. Now I am all legal to ride with my restricted licence. :banana:

Redstar
27th January 2004, 18:07
cops are pretty reasonable with these rules, though... generally if you've been pulled over on some other generic thing the license restrictions will get you an earful but they won't bother ticketing you on both so you'll (hopefully) get off with the standard $150 traffic fine for crooking your little finger in the wrong direction as you go round a corner, or whatever.

:Police: I think bazarr as this it sounds they like to fine you for something wrong and bollock you for another so if you ride on a restricted on a 250plus make sure your WOF is well expired too that way you pay :shifty: $200 much cheaper

Sycophant
27th January 2004, 22:40
I currently only have an L (simply haven't had the time or money to step up) - and have been riding on it for about a year.

I have been pulled over twice, both times well outside the hours I was legally allowed to ride (after midnight both times) - the first was for an illegal right turn I performed in front of an unmarked police car - foolish me. He never even mentioned the licence thing, but fined me $150 for the turn.

The second was on the way home was working one night. I had broken my tail light moving my bike into a tight spot (long story, it was the Ports Of Auckland's fault) - a couple of hours earlier. I was pulled over and warned for it (by an unmarked traffic unit) but not fined when I explained that it had only occured. Again, the licence was not mentioned.

However my new job has me working 3pm to midnight most nights, which means I am riding outside my conditions every night. I have emailed the LTSA to ask if a work-related exemption is available, but not heard back. I will upgrade to 6R soon, but that won't change the hours.

Big Dog
28th January 2004, 16:35
However my new job has me working 3pm to midnight most nights, which means I am riding outside my conditions every night. I have emailed the LTSA to ask if a work-related exemption is available, but not heard back. I will upgrade to 6R soon, but that won't change the hours.

Go in to any ltsa licensing agent and ask for an endorsement form (generic) state your case and pay your $28 (or it was three years ago anyway.) You need something bearing your work address and your home address (so that they can see you can't just walk it) and a letter from your boss saying this is the only time you can be scheduled for work.

You will be issued with a temporary endorsement for thirty days while it is considered and then you will get a new copy of your license (bearing a permanent endorsement) in the mail in 20-30 days a letter stating your endorsment was declined and why.

If you have no luck go and see winz and tell them you will soon be unemployed if they can't help.... then they will crack the appropriate whip (unless you have a vehicle registered to you that is on a full license) :brick: .

Coldkiwi
28th January 2004, 17:13
Go in to any ltsa licensing agent and ask for an endorsement form .

errr yeah... except don't go to the AA. they couldn't organise a piss up in brewery. You have been warned!

I rate VINZ very highly for their service.

Macktheknife
31st August 2005, 21:12
Yes, the fixed penalty for breaking license restrictions is $400 and 25 license points a pop. This means that, say, if you're pulled over while carrying a pillion on a 400cc with no L-plate, on a learner license, down the motorway at 100kph, you could be out $1600 and an instant 100 points (and therefore no license for three months).

In my limited experience the cops are pretty reasonable with these rules, though... generally if you've been pulled over on some other generic thing the license restrictions will get you an earful but they won't bother ticketing you on both so you'll (hopefully) get off with the standard $150 traffic fine for crooking your little finger in the wrong direction as you go round a corner, or whatever.

Lesson is to get onto the restricted and then full as fast as possible, and try not to get pulled over in the meantime.

Correct and if you manage to piss them off enough they can impound your bike just to really piss on your parade! :devil2:

Warren
31st August 2005, 21:28
Go in to any ltsa licensing agent and ask for an endorsement form (generic) state your case and pay your $28 (or it was three years ago anyway.) You need something bearing your work address and your home address (so that they can see you can't just walk it) and a letter from your boss saying this is the only time you can be scheduled for work.

You will be issued with a temporary endorsement for thirty days while it is considered and then you will get a new copy of your license (bearing a permanent endorsement) in the mail in 20-30 days a letter stating your endorsment was declined and why.

If you have no luck go and see winz and tell them you will soon be unemployed if they can't help.... then they will crack the appropriate whip (unless you have a vehicle registered to you that is on a full license) :brick: .

I did that but they rejected it because I have had 2 speeding tickets. But there is not much traffic to crash into at 2am or 6am when I used to be travelling home anyway. I would rather be a vampire than wake up at 6am for dayshift.

steved
1st September 2005, 11:33
You guys took two years to formulate your responses?

Squiggles
1st September 2005, 11:59
they ARE onto it aye? :rofl:

what are the license exemptions u can apply for these days? is it only passengers and after 10pm...or can u apply for one to make a higher cc bike legal on ur l/r license?