PDA

View Full Version : Bright cycle lights?

rastuscat
16th June 2014, 21:13
I've been given a complaint to deal with.

A concerned motorist is complaining about how bright some cycle lights are. He's dazzled daily, apparently.

Any thoughts?

2smokes
16th June 2014, 21:18
Can't you beat him to death with your truncheon :Police:

rastuscat
16th June 2014, 21:28
Can't you beat him to death with your truncheon :Police:

My first thoughts too.

Potentially cyclists wouldn't use mega bright lights if people paid more attention to them.

I still have an old wooden truncheon too. Might take you up.

swarfie
16th June 2014, 21:31
Last Friday my wife was driving my daughters car and hit a girl cyclist who didn't have any lights on her bike. The silly bovine had dark clothing on and there were no street lights. Thank Christ she was okay, with only minimal damage to the cage. I ride a pushy to work, mostly in the dark (I start work @ 6.30am) and IMO pushy lights can't be bright enough. Having said that some of them can be a bit piercing though :crazy:

More tickets for those that don't have lights please.

husaberg
16th June 2014, 21:33
My first thoughts too.

Potentially cyclists wouldn't use mega bright lights if people paid more attention to them.

I still have an old wooden truncheon too. Might take you up.

What I thought your first go to instinct was a beating with a phone book.
shit do you even have a moustache;)

Kickaha
16th June 2014, 21:41

A concerned motorist is complaining about how bright some cycle lights are. He's dazzled daily, apparently.

Any thoughts?

Tell him to take a different route and to not be such a whinging cunt

jellywrestler
16th June 2014, 21:45

Any thoughts?

yeah i like bright especially flashing rear ones but just tonight in wellington traffic i had two head height led ones in my face, confusing, yes, and i consider myself a lot more alert on the road than i'm sure others were but one dazzled me so i couldn't see shit. get onto it or they'll all end up this bright. we have rules so my vehicles light doesn't dazzle someone else and they run off the raod eh...

AllanB
16th June 2014, 21:47
Hmmmmm a genuine issue unfortunately. I've been 'blinded' or at least distracted numerous times by cyclists with helmet mounted LED lights. The worst ones are those fucking flashing led helmet mounted cycle lights, Jesus they mess with your head.

From a law enforcement point of view it is interesting - I've also seen too many knobs riding without lights in the dark on my way to work, I suspect they are import construction workers to NZ based on their hi-viz (not in the dark, doh!) vests, work boots etc. On the other hand those firkin head mounted cycle lights.

Add to the list new 4wd's with projector lights riding my bumper. The lights appear to be designed to align perfectly with my rear vision mirror.

Is it legal to carry a baseball bat in ones boot to take out offending drivers/riders?

Speaking of which the knob on a motorcycle in Halswell passing without noticing a pedestrian island gave me much amusement a couple weeks back - ended up very much on the wrong side of the road facing on-coming traffic. Must have missed his 6.00am coffee.

R650R
16th June 2014, 21:57

Any thoughts?

Well in the truck where as a night driver you covet your night vision the ones on HB expressway used to annoy the hell out of me.
Yes you can look away and use various methods to shield your vision same as if blinded by a car. But there does exist a situation where it could cause a genuine hazard.
Also the wavelength of light is very narrow and sits somewhere halfway between normal lights and laser. Prolonged exposure can be harmful and maybe the eye takes longer to recover from such a strong source.
I see CAT trucks are now using them in headlights and no complaints from other drivers yet...

I find the use if red rear light in strobe mode perplexing and discussed this with guy in cycle shop while getting mtb parts. To my brain the flashing strobe signals perhaps a fire engine far away/roadside equipment/reflection from another source rather than hey this is a road user in same lane. Made him think a bit. Similar with front strobe mode although just annoying and distracting.

I have 2 x 900 lumens LED (one on bike, one on helmet for contrast to create shadows/perspective to see roots and stumps/drop-offs etc) for night mountainbiking in forest (its damn crazy fun and adds another dimension to the park). They are plenty bright on high and two of these plus main beam would be your legal limit for daytime running lamp setup sum total of light emission. But there are brighter lights, 1200 lumens and more and I expect there are plenty of these in use.

Really overall I'd prob rate it as an annoyance issue but there exists the situation where Lycra Lance dazzles Supergran pulling out of New World in the rain and her aging eyes don't see the motorbike behind him etc...
On this note I think you should shoot on site any fecker using a rear red fog light in the rain...

http://www.bikelights.co.nz/

http://www.bikelights.co.nz/bikelights/fluxient-bike-light-3800-lumen

Mr Revhead
16th June 2014, 22:06
This is a serious annoyance and becoming an issue here in Nelson. We have quite a few shared cycle/footpaths and cycle lanes.
A lot are laid out so a cyclist can be on your side of the road as well.

These inconsiderate idiots that fit massive LED flood lamps to their heads need shooting.
What does a cyclist do when a car/motorcycle is near? They look at it. Directing that light straight at the driver/rider.
A bright light mounted on the bike pointing mostly down is fine and not a bad idea. A huge light designed for off road mountain biking has NO place on the road.

Think of it this way, are you allowed to use your highbeam in the face of on coming traffic? NO. So why should a cyclist?

pritch
16th June 2014, 22:38
I used to have a somewhat old fashioned lamp on the front of the pushbike it definitely wouldn't dazzle anybody. One dark night, while riding down a hill at what passes for speed when I'm cycling, I hit an unseen beer bottle. Momentarily disconcertting to put it mildly.

When shopping for a somewhat brighter lamp, one that would give me a sporting chance of seeing a beer bottle or other inopportune obstruction, the salesman pulled out his best and brightest.
"We call this the fuck-the-car-drivers headlight."
Sold.

There was a recent thread on KB that contained complaints about bright cycle lights, but also an account whereby a cyclist was only narrowly avoided because the bike light was allegedly insufficiently bright.

Basically I don't think that the lights are too bright, trains have a big arse headlight and muppets still hit them. The problem, however, may be partially attributed to incorrect adjustment, most cycle lamps seem to be held on with a rubber band.

It could also be that your complainant needs to get their eyes tested? Some people have difficulty seeing after dark and as far as I recall that isn't part of the standard eye test.

Gremlin
16th June 2014, 22:58
Thoughts, sure, decision, no. :msn-wink:

I can see both sides. Cars have to dip their beams when around other traffic as it can dazzle or blind. Same thing can happen with bicycle lights as some of them are seriously bright. Red aren't quite so bad due to the colour, but the white ones and more particularly the really fast flashing ones, can be really bright. As far as I know, there are no limits on the power of the lights? As we argue with motorcycle lights for those that say ride on high beam... if the driver can't see you because they're blinded, are you really safe?

That said, cyclists use them because they want to be seen. If you can't see a seriously bright light on an LSD-trip pattern, then you probably shouldn't be driving. I think flashing is important to set them apart from other vehicles on the road (plus street lights etc) because generally, their speed has a big difference to other road traffic.

Ultimately, how many road users can throw whatever lights they like on their vehicles and to hell with what other road users think? As usual, off road use, no limit and away you go.

wharekura
16th June 2014, 23:10
Been a good read before bed thanks ppl. Im a cyclist as well as car and motorbike rider. I wear hiz viz if I really must ride at nite and two front handle bar lights and one rear red strobe. I take the point about the strobe and will change the setting to steady lite and wont wear helmet lites, albeit a lot of the racing compadre do.

When the wife and I go cycling its ALWAYS single file unless we are on a closed road.

The Waikato expressway is one hell of a trip to cycle on.

nzspokes
16th June 2014, 23:13

Any thoughts?

Quiet day then?

Berries
16th June 2014, 23:19
Burn them. And burn all motorcyclists who ride around with full beam for the same reason.

We are small, we won't always be seen. People need to deal with that particular reality or go and buy a truck.

HenryDorsetCase
16th June 2014, 23:27
I used to do quite a bit of night mtb riding a few years ago. The hot setup was a halogen 50W 12V bulb (like in your downlights at home) and a motorcycle battery. Good for a couple hours blat round the forest. Hell of a lot of fun and makes a boring track quite interesting. Protip: always carry a wee torch with you.

The big change a few years ago was LED's: the lumen output went up massively and the battery size decreased substantially. So what we used to use night riding now comes in a thing you can stick on your helmet.

I only ever used on helmet mount but a few guys swore by a handlebar mount for flood and a head mount for punch.

My point is if the light is a head mount and it is dazzling car drivers it is most likely because the cyclist is looking at the fuckwit car driver and wondering if today is a good day to die.

My view is that the only response is "Good you have seen the cyclist now dont target fixate and kill them".

And as for the rear red? More is better, more strobe-y and flashy the better. I do not accept that any competent driver could mistake a flashing light far away for a bike rear light close in. Unless, of course they are from Craggy Island. In which case they shouldnt be driving at all.

TL;DR: MORE IS BETTER. BRIGHTER IS BETTER.

Just so we are clear on the difference, this applies to cycle lights and cows:
GFTgkibl7DU

Mr Revhead
16th June 2014, 23:30
My point is if the light is a head mount and it is dazzling car drivers it is most likely because the cyclist is looking at the fuckwit car driver and wondering if today is a good day to die.

My view is that the only response is "Good you have seen the cyclist now dont target fixate and kill them".

TL;DR: MORE IS BETTER. BRIGHTER IS BETTER.

So you don't mind if I shine my LED torch in your face as you drive along?
I'd do it, but I wouldn't want to be in the car with you.

Why are some drivers/riders such fucktards? That's the real problem. Doesn't matter if you drive/ride or walk. You can be a fucktard either way.
And mounting a huge light to your head and directing it in peoples faces makes you a fucktard in just the same way not dipping your full beam makes you a fucktard.

HenryDorsetCase
16th June 2014, 23:33
So you don't mind if I shine my LED torch in your face as you drive along?
I'd do it, but I wouldn't want to be in the car with you.

Why are some drivers/riders such fucktards? That's the real problem. Doesn't matter if you drive/ride or walk. You can be a fucktard either way.
And mounting a huge light to your head and directing it in peoples faces makes you a fucktard in just the same way not dipping your full beam makes you a fucktard.

Just dont bring your fleshlight: as long as it IS a torch this time.

or, you know, using 2 1/2 tons of steel and rubber as an offensive weapon does.

Mr Revhead
16th June 2014, 23:35
I don't see how that is a valid defence of your attitude?

I'm not going to show you my fleshlight for free....

Erelyes
17th June 2014, 01:00

Any thoughts?

Send him this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW3MIixEps4

Big Dog
17th June 2014, 02:16
I found my little wind up 3 led setup perfect for commuting. Leave it on flash where the street lights are good ( to preserve power and improve visibility.) and steady beam in poorly lit areas. But then i have better than average eyesight.
One auto red les at the back. Vigorous riding it goes solid. Flashes slowly normally. And for two minutes after last movement except where uv is present.
Riders need the freedom to choose the lighting option that is right for them, but they also need to be responsible enough to align them safely. Anything up from level is unnecessary unless you are going very fast. I found the optimum angle to be down about 5-10 degrees.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

pzkpfw
17th June 2014, 07:43
It's the same as arses who ride their motorcycles on high beam all the time for "their safety".

Phooey. Some cycle lights are disturbingly bright. One day someone'll be dazzled by one cyclist and run over the one near him who had no lights on.

On a sciency note - assuming anyone actually tests/approves bicycle lights; I wonder if the flashing ones "cheat"? That is, if the measuring devices have an unintended effect of averaging the lights on and off (rather than measuring peak), they could pass lights that while on are over the allowed brightness.

Paul in NZ
17th June 2014, 08:03
We have some cheap chinese Cree LED lamps for our mountain bikes...

I would not use them at night on the road as I mount it on my helmet and its hard to avoid blinding oncoming traffic that way. These things are seriously bright... There is no reflector or lens science to make them acceptable for road use (like a car or a motorcycle) they are just there to throw as much light down the road as possible... They are friggin awesome...but not for the street.

Mike.Gayner
17th June 2014, 08:08
When motorists stop not seeing me, I'll know my lights are bright enough. Until then...

Mike.Gayner
17th June 2014, 08:12
yeah i like bright especially flashing rear ones but just tonight in wellington traffic i had two head height led ones in my face, confusing, yes

If a bright light renders you confused, you don't have the mental fortitude to drive on our roads.

willytheekid
17th June 2014, 08:31
I actually had an issue with a cyclist's STROBE LIGHT this morning :wacko:
...Don't mind bright lights etc, but this thing was rediculasly bright and would cause fucking epileptic seizures in a godam nightclub!!...should NOT be on a road going vehicle...full stop!.

....but once again, all other road users are forced to used approved lighting and lens covers etc(and for good reason!), while road going cyclists are just left free to ride around completely unchecked...while packing a terawatt of strobe lights!

In reply to ya question Ras-
Its Road going vehicle...So how bout stopping it and checking it*!<_<

(*But you have already admitted on here that your mate tried to deal with cyclists and there dangerous "habits"...and gave up!, due to most of them not carring ID and being beligerant fuck tards towards authority & Road rules...maybe its time to shift focus to another set of two wheeled road users for a while Rastus)

ps...and yes...I high beemed the prick! (But sadly, it was just my headlight vs his "disco strobe"...I was the only one who left completely blinded!:wacko:)

nodrog
17th June 2014, 08:38
Bright lights are fine, its the homos that fit strobing spotlights that light up the buildings either side of a 4 lane road and blind you from over 200m away that are the problem. Oh how i laughed when the fuckwit was pushed off his bike by an angry pedestrian.

Kiwi Graham
17th June 2014, 08:41
A static light doesn't bother me, the flashing type do. When they are flashing it disgises the distance the cyclist may be and ruins any sense of depth of field (fr want of a better description).

SMOKEU
17th June 2014, 08:58
I've got quite a bright front light on my push bike, it does flashing or steady mode. In flashing mode, it's so bright at night that the flashing actually trips me out too much, which is why I don't use that mode at night, only during the day in rainy or otherwise poorly lit conditions.

I want to get a light that's even brighter. With the number of stupid, dopey cagers around who have no sense of situational awareness, brighter = better. I imported my lights off dx.com, but unfortunately they don't stock that model any more.

nodrog
17th June 2014, 09:09
I've got quite a bright front light on my push bike, it does flashing or steady mode. In flashing mode, it's so bright at night that the flashing actually trips me out too much, which is why I don't use that mode at night, only during the day in rainy or otherwise poorly lit conditions.

I want to get a light that's even brighter. With the number of stupid, dopey cagers around who have no sense of situational awareness, brighter = better. I imported my lights off dx.com, but unfortunately they don't stock that model any more.

So you would rather have retarded drivers who are now blind sharing the road with you? Dumbass.

Id run you over just for shits and giggles.

SMOKEU
17th June 2014, 09:20
So you would rather have retarded drivers who are now blind sharing the road with you? Dumbass.

I never said anything about them being blind.

I'd really like to run you over too when I'm driving a cage. It would be funny to see you smeared all over the road. :lol:

HenryDorsetCase
17th June 2014, 09:36

Some might say they're blind anyways..... so a bit of dazzle won't hurt except hopefully they will crash into something and die.

imdying
17th June 2014, 09:36

Any thoughts?

If you're on your bike, and you dazzle me, and in my blinded state I run you over, who gets in trouble? If it's the car driver/motorcyclist, then there's a problem. If not, I can't see a problem.

nodrog
17th June 2014, 09:52
I never said anything about them being blind.

I'd really like to run you over too when I'm driving a cage. It would be funny to see you smeared all over the road. :lol:

If i was ever stupid/poor/fat/upmyownarse enough to ride a pushbike on the road, i would want to be run over.

breakaway
17th June 2014, 10:03
It was only a matter of time before this type of complaint surfaced.

LED technology has come miles in the last 5 years and is very affordable. Even shit tier chiense torches can easily blind people. Now, self righteous cyclists attach them to their bicycles with zero regard for proper alignment etc.

The beam pattern is very focused with some of them. To the sod on the other end, it feels similar to staring into high beam HIDs.

ellipsis
17th June 2014, 10:05
...I would have punched the wanker with a 50 gazillion candle power light that was staring straight at me while I turned off the highway onto a totally dark side road recently, but I was that blinded I could not see where he was, cunt...I knew there was a bridge down the road a bit, but I could not see a fucken thing...had to wait for the white lights in my brain to stop flashing for a half minute before I could continue...

rastuscat
17th June 2014, 10:28
Okay folks, seems it is an issue.

Now, wtf can I do about it?

jellywrestler
17th June 2014, 10:29
...I would have punched the wanker with a 50 gazillion candle power light that was staring straight at me while I turned off the highway onto a totally dark side road recently, but I was that blinded I could not see where he was, cunt...I knew there was a bridge down the road a bit, but I could not see a fucken thing...had to wait for the white lights in my brain to stop flashing for a half minute before I could continue...

you didn't get a n anal probing too if so report it to the UFO people

Mike.Gayner
17th June 2014, 10:29

Look out everyone, we've got a bad-ass over here.

unstuck
17th June 2014, 10:37
Most of the bikes around here are still using kerosene tilly lamps, so not really a problem. :2thumbsup

rastuscat
17th June 2014, 10:40
Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004

Use of motor vehicle lighting equipment on road
(1)
A person must not use vehicle lighting equipment in such a way that it dazzles, confuses, or distracts so as to endanger the safety of other road users.

So, that's what the law is. I wonder how it'll go down when we start writing $150 tickets for it.

Wouldn't that be revenue collecting?

Troll.

ellipsis
17th June 2014, 10:40
Look out everyone, we've got a bad-ass over here.

...I dont recall ever having shown you my (ass)...or my donkey, or my lizard...

bogan
17th June 2014, 10:42

With light output on those fuckers approaching or exceeding motorsickle headlight power output; seems they should be subject to the same beam pattern constraints. Guess that requires a legislation update though...

buggerit
17th June 2014, 10:47

Ban helmet mounted lights and front facing strobes and book repeat offenders for being an arsehole in a public place

pritch
17th June 2014, 10:49

(1)
A person must not use vehicle lighting equipment in such a way that it dazzles, confuses, or distracts so as to endanger the safety of other road users.

So, that's what the law is. I wonder how it'll go down when we start writing $150 tickets for it.

Troll.

No, that'd be bloody dim. A bicycle is not a motor vehicle. Thinking like that, next thing you'll be working for the Government. Oh hang on...

rastuscat
17th June 2014, 10:50
Ban helmet mounted lights and front facing strobes and book repeat offenders for being an arsehole in a public place

Sounds like a plan. Apart from the last bit. Not terribly legal.

Paul in NZ
17th June 2014, 10:52

(1)

Troll.

Is a cycle a motor vehicle?

The problem will be how do you set these things? The ones I have are not suitable for street use IMHO. Mounted on a helmet (ie a non fixed mount) they could cause serious issues... On full whack its like 3800 Lumen (small chinese lumens I suspect) They are right up there with motorcycle headlights.

HenryDorsetCase
17th June 2014, 10:56

The problem will be how do you set these things? The ones I have are not suitable for street use IMHO. Mounted on a helmet (ie a non fixed mount) they could cause serious issues... On full whack its like 3800 Lumen (small chinese lumens I suspect) They are right up there with motorcycle headlights.

want some chunky Kiwi lumens? These guys make great kit.

http://www.nightlightning.co.nz/

rastuscat
17th June 2014, 11:09

Funny you should ask.

Some laws refer to vehicle, some to motor vehicle. If you have a look at this one, the title says motor vehicle, the text refers to vehicle. I'm picking that it applies to vehicles.

It's an offence to operate a vehicle when using a cellphone. It's only an offence to drink drive when using a motor vehicle.

A bicycle is a vehicle, but not a motor vehicle.

No fecking wonder folk confuse the two.

rastuscat
17th June 2014, 11:11
I might pop a post onto my Vorb account, see what cyclists think. It seems clear what KBers think.

SMOKEU
17th June 2014, 11:21
If i was ever stupid/poor/fat/upmyownarse enough to ride a pushbike on the road, i would want to be run over.

You're honestly a fuckwit of the highest level. Not everyone is rich enough to afford motorized transport every where.

HenryDorsetCase
17th June 2014, 11:28
You're honestly a fuckwit of the highest level. Not everyone is rich enough to afford motorized transport every where.

Michael status: extracted.

Nodrog 1, SMOKEU: O.

Advantage Nodrog.

Pray continue gentlemen.

HenryDorsetCase
17th June 2014, 11:28
I might pop a post onto my Vorb account, see what cyclists think. It seems clear what KBers think.

ooooh. do the HOG one too.

wharekura
17th June 2014, 11:31
I cycle for fitness. Regardless, fight u bitches - fight. :girlfight:

bogan
17th June 2014, 11:33
I cycle for fitness. Regardless, fight u bitches - fight. :girlfight:

Same here, when it isn't too chilly that is. Sounds like smokey is on the menstrual cycle though...

Mike.Gayner
17th June 2014, 11:33

You're all out of real crime to deal with?

rastuscat
17th June 2014, 11:50
You're all out of real crime to deal with?

Dude. I'm a road policing branch Popo.

Have I really gotta repeat all the reasons why I do what I do?

HenryDorsetCase
17th June 2014, 11:53
Dude. I'm a road policing branch Popo.

blowjobs from grateful motorists?

swarfie
17th June 2014, 12:07
It's an offence to operate a vehicle when using a cellphone. It's only an offence to drink drive when using a motor vehicle. A bicycle is a vehicle, but not a motor vehicle.

So does that mean we can get pissed to bits and still legally ride a pushy on the road? Not that I'd do that mind :killingme

rastuscat
17th June 2014, 12:43
blowjobs from grateful motorists?

That dude no longer works for us.

rastuscat
17th June 2014, 12:43
So does that mean we can get pissed to bits and still legally ride a pushy on the road? Not that I'd do that mind :killingme

Yes actually. Just don't get locked up for disorderly behaviour.

caspernz
17th June 2014, 12:58

Whatever the letter of the law suggests.

As a night time trucker I find the strobing lights a nuisance, makes it hard to tell distance for starters. On the whole it's a non-issue to me, for when I feel suitably aggrieved I've got lots more lights and a set of air horns to signal my temporary insanity brought on by a multitude of strobing lights...just kidding haha.

It's probably the mis-application, or illegal use I should say, of lights that's the most annoying. An example being a cyclist with four white forward lights coming towards me whilst riding on the left hand side of the road. But then on the whole I find a cyclist with no lights or reflective gear is more of a hazard to my safe passage than one who has gone overboard at the $2 shop and fitted enough lights to qualify as a Fulton Hogan beacon truck.

So yeah, my recollection of the road code was one rearward facing red light and one white forward light for a push bike. And of course the road code predates the invention of cheaply available LED lights...perhaps you could rewrite it Pete?

nodrog
17th June 2014, 13:22

Maybe they should try driving to work.

swarfie
17th June 2014, 14:36
Yes actually. Just don't get locked up for disorderly behaviour.

Maybe the law should be changed in this instance then. I don't think anyone should be on the road pissed...walking, driving, riding or cycling. Can't believe the law actually allows it.
As for the lights issue I think there should be only one on the front and back. Strobing is ok at the back but not the front IMO. The depth perception thing is a problem, especially with really bright front strobing lights but not so much with a red at the rear.

neels
17th June 2014, 14:56
I've got a couple of 900 lumen led lights for cycling, off road helmet mounted, on road bar mounted so I can see the broken glass and other crap before I run over it.

I can't see a reason for using a helmet mounted light in traffic, and I don't know how anyone can use the flashing mode at night without their eyeballs exploding.

Anyway, seems from the nzta website flashing lights are allowed, ones that dazzle other road users are not, they are a real pain in the arse so police away.......

When cycling at night or when visibility is poor, cycles must have the following:

C.One or more steady or flashing rear-facing red lights that can be seen at night from a distance of 100 metres.
D.One or two white or yellow headlights that can be seen at night from a distance of 100 metres. Only one of these headlights may flash.
E.Pedal retroreflectors on the forward and rearward facing surfaces of each pedal. If the cycle does not have these, you must wear reflective material.
Cycle lights
There are many cycle lights on the market – some are designed to help cyclists be seen by other road users during times of low light, and some lights are designed to help cyclists see where they are going, like a headlight.

When considering lights it is important to be mindful that:

•Headlights should be attached to handlebars and pointing down.
•Your lights can be a hazard if used incorrectly. You must not use cycle lighting equipment in such a way that it dazzles, confuses, or distracts so as to endanger the safety of other road users.

cynna
17th June 2014, 15:18
Last Friday my wife was driving my daughters car and hit a girl cyclist who didn't have any lights on her bike. The silly bovine had dark clothing on and there were no street lights. Thank Christ she was okay, with only minimal damage to the cage. I ride a pushy to work, mostly in the dark (I start work @ 6.30am) and IMO pushy lights can't be bright enough. Having said that some of them can be a bit piercing though :crazy:

More tickets for those that don't have lights please.

more tickets for blind drivers too please

Paul in NZ
17th June 2014, 16:05
Awesome - you can order 9800 lumen units now.... Feck...

Big Dog
17th June 2014, 16:07

Snipers.

ellipsis
17th June 2014, 17:12
Snipers.

...with the luck that some of these lycraknobs seem to have, the only things that would be hit, would be cows or children or cassina, following closely behind...

Yow Ling
17th June 2014, 17:24

(1)

Troll.
naa revenue collecting is when you give me a ticket

Asher
17th June 2014, 17:29
I have actually noticed this a few times of the last couple of weeks.
The typical culprits are those with bright helmet mounted lights, all you can see is a cornea burning light that you cant judge speed or distance off.
If they mounted them on their handle bars and aimed them lower they would be much easier to see.

Reckless
17th June 2014, 17:30
•Headlights should be attached to handlebars and pointing down.

There it is! anything else gets a ticket.
The crux of the matter is Helmet mounted lights can be shone into the eyes of another motorist just by looking to see where the opposing traffic is going. Illegal and dangerous!
Isn't not dipping your headlights an offence surely shining them into someones face is?

If they are as above legal, Helmet mounted illegal, simple.
Maybe handlebar mounted but not adjusted correctly a nice chat?
done next Donut

Edit: Or a chat for all of the above seeing as they prob would be unknowing of the law at that time.

Big Dog
17th June 2014, 17:47

(1)

Troll.

No, that is good police work.
Headlamp dazzling driver has to be at least as dangerous as 4km over on her majesties birthday.

Big Dog
17th June 2014, 17:58
...with the luck that some of these lycraknobs seem to have, the only things that would be hit, would be cows or children or cassina, following closely behind...

So start the program with paintball guns until the snipers get their eye in and can deliver the "good news" effectively. I suspect
People would learn bright smart if transgressions of this calibre attracted snipers.
You know, red light runners, cell phone uses and other miscreants that put other peoples lives in danger for their own convenience.

Big Dog
17th June 2014, 18:03
The crux of the matter is Helmet mounted lights can be shone into the eyes of another motorist just by looking to see where the opposing traffic is going. Illegal and dangerous!
Isn't not dipping your headlights an offence surely shining them into someones face is?

done next Donut

The legislation seems clear around bicycle mounting but is there actually anything against helmet mount specifically? Or not affixed to the vehicle less explicitly?

An ex got pulled over form flashing alternate blue LEDs at cars pretending to be pulling them over in her white Fairlane. 2nd or 3rd car she tried it on was an unmarked car. :rofl:

Big Dog
17th June 2014, 18:04

done next Donut

+1

SMOKEU
17th June 2014, 18:20
Maybe they should try driving to work.

And be stuck in heavy traffic like the rest of the muppets who are too fat and lazy to cycle?

I cycle for fitness.

Same. And because it's better to have a $1000 push bike stolen than a comparatively expensive motor vehicle. And the cops can't do fuck all if I ride a push bike as wasted as I want, as long as I can still follow the road rules and ride in a straight line. It saves a fortune in taxi fares over the weekends, so much so that my push bikes have paid for themselves. Multiple times.

More money to spend on motorbikes too, I can't afford a cage and a motorbike.

Kickaha
17th June 2014, 18:36
Kill them all

Yes, because a lot of people on here are very slow learners

Big Dog
17th June 2014, 18:41
Yes, because a lot of people on here are very slow learners
Maybe they would learn quicker if you handcuffed them to a chair and had them "read the phone book" until it was clear?
Just kidding. I appreciate the efforts of those police who ought to be police.

nodrog
17th June 2014, 19:01
And be stuck in heavy traffic like the rest of the muppets who are too fat and lazy to cycle?

_________

SMOKEU
17th June 2014, 19:14
_________

Have you run out of silly little ideas to troll?

nodrog
17th June 2014, 19:20
Have you run out of silly little ideas to troll?

Not at all, but it went right over your head, so I give up.

SMOKEU
17th June 2014, 19:33
so I give up.

Because you know that you have nothing of value to add to this thread.

AllanB
17th June 2014, 19:34
Number plates and registration on push bikes .......... then you can ticket the buggers ;)

Voltaire
17th June 2014, 19:37

Quite right, this is a serious discussion on people who can't afford cars and their efforts to get to work anyway.

wharekura
17th June 2014, 19:38
There is value - entertainment value...

:corn:

nodrog
17th June 2014, 19:38

Fuck you are thick.

No wonder you don't get paid enough to run a motor vehicle.

Oh look some lycra fag has made a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tprm7BjQOD4

neels
17th June 2014, 20:14
Number plates and registration on push bikes .......... then you can ticket the buggers ;)
Bugger off, I've got enough to keep up with now, without adding 9 pushbikes to the list of rego bills.

rastuscat
17th June 2014, 20:28

We don't need plates or reg to enforce the rules against cyclists.

The thing missing most is the intestinal fortitude. Trying to motivate Popos to write tickets for cyclists is a challenge.

husaberg
17th June 2014, 20:39

The thing missing most is the intestinal fortitude. Trying to motivate Popos to write tickets for cyclists is a challenge.

What if they are not wearing a helmet surely they would leap to write a ticket then.........
If the pushbikes had to go through a Warrant the roads would be safer, as the lights would be adjusted properly.
My biggest peeve is the 2 and three abreast on winding roads with blind corners........

R650R
17th June 2014, 21:01
If the pushbikes had to go through a Warrant the roads would be safer, as the lights would be adjusted properly.

Yeah that has SSOOOOOOOOO worked for cars/trucks and motorbikes.... :blink:

AllanB
17th June 2014, 22:56
Bugger off, I've got enough to keep up with now, without adding 9 pushbikes to the list of rego bills.

All that lovely revenue - and ACC charges. After all lots of cyclists get hurt.

willytheekid
18th June 2014, 08:01

I thought your use of the peddlys the other month was a good idea Rastus (cept your knees in public! :crazy:...there are laws)...gets you right amongst the cyclists and lets them know your watching there actions and other motorists towords them

We have motorcycle popo...so why not cyclist popo? (Im sure they can add a donut & coffee cup holder)

Paul in NZ
18th June 2014, 08:11

Indeed. Cycling is one of those 'posh' sports with a holier than thou attitude about it. Some of them really feel 'above the law'... And thats speaking as a guy that has more cycles in the shed than motorcycles...

nzspokes
18th June 2014, 08:28
Shame the Popo will have to spend time looking at cyclists lights rather than shit driving. You know, like a real problem.

Maybe some random drug testing of truck drivers would be a start.

SMOKEU
18th June 2014, 17:37
Fuck you are thick.

No wonder you don't get paid enough to run a motor vehicle.

Oh look some lycra fag has made a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tprm7BjQOD4

That's very rich coming from a complete retard like you.

I get paid more than enough to run a motor vehicle actually.

nodrog
18th June 2014, 18:36
That's very rich coming from a complete retard like you.

I get paid more than enough to run a motor vehicle actually.

ouch

______

SMOKEU
18th June 2014, 18:46
ouch

______

I expected a more well thought out childish retort from you. Maybe next time.

SMOKEU
18th June 2014, 18:47
We have motorcycle popo...so why not cyclist popo? (Im sure they can add a donut & coffee cup holder)

I remember some of the central Christchurch cops used to cycle around on duty back in the day.

nodrog
18th June 2014, 19:01
I expected a more well thought out childish retort from you. Maybe next time.

sorry.

.......I get paid more than enough to run a motor vehicle actually.

Richie Rich.

......., I can't afford a cage and a motorbike.

Oh, you're just a Giganaire.

rastuscat
18th June 2014, 20:54
I remember some of the central Christchurch cops used to cycle around on duty back in the day.

There's 6 Popo cycles sitting in the yard at the new Donut Central. Don't get used much. I use one from tiem to time, for the reasons Wheely mentioned. Great for engaging with cyclists.

:2thumbsup

SMOKEU
18th June 2014, 21:52
There's 6 Popo cycles sitting in the yard at the new Donut Central. Don't get used much. I use one from tiem to time, for the reasons Wheely mentioned. Great for engaging with cyclists.

:2thumbsup

I'd actually be happy to see some police officers on push bikes during their day to day duties. It certainly gets my vote.

husaberg
18th June 2014, 22:03
I'd actually be happy to see some police officers on push bikes during their day to day duties. It certainly gets my vote.

Speedo cops...........

At least they have moes...

MVnut
18th June 2014, 22:14
About 20 years ago my mate lost his licence (and job) for careless use.....he was at a ComStop (stopped) and could not see any traffic so proceeded and a 16 year old on a pushbike ran into the offside door. My friend was a driving instructor so lost his job. There were no street lights, the cycle had no lights or reflectors, the rider was wearing all black....and was riding quickly (downhill) on the wrong side of the road. Blame on both parts I would have thought but Judge thought 100% fault of my mate in the car

unstuck
19th June 2014, 06:56

Yeah, me too. Make it harder for them to catch you.:2thumbsup

SMOKEU
19th June 2014, 07:30
Yeah, me too. Make it harder for them to catch you.:2thumbsup

I can out-pedal pretty much all cyclists except for many of the lycrafags. Some of them are fucking quick.

Berries
19th June 2014, 07:55
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but apart from the clothing material it sounds like you are one of the lycrafags.

Voltaire
19th June 2014, 08:27
My old Pom Bomb has a useless headlight, can I get one of these gazzillion lumnens headlamps to supplement Mr Lucas's feeble beam.
I'm sure car drivers wont mind being blinded by my uncontrolled light, they are just cagers after all.
Of course at WOF time I wont wear it.

Gremlin
19th June 2014, 09:24
I can out-pedal pretty much all cyclists except for many of the lycrafags. Some of them are fucking quick.
Don't worry, I've had a nice engine attached to my cycle and the bastards are still chasing me hard down hills... (probably held up the odd one slightly, mid corner they have me...)

Paul in NZ
19th June 2014, 09:41
My old Pom Bomb has a useless headlight, can I get one of these gazzillion lumnens headlamps to supplement Mr Lucas's feeble beam.
I'm sure car drivers wont mind being blinded by my uncontrolled light, they are just cagers after all.
Of course at WOF time I wont wear it.

You best bet is to upgrade Mr Lucas... and add an LED lamp or two...

SMOKEU
19th June 2014, 09:44
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but apart from the clothing material it sounds like you are one of the lycrafags.

I don't ride 2 or 3 abreast in packs holding up traffic, or dressed as a faggot. I just ride along pissed instead.

Don't worry, I've had a nice engine attached to my cycle and the bastards are still chasing me hard down hills... (probably held up the odd one slightly, mid corner they have me...)

Sounds fun!

Voltaire
19th June 2014, 10:04
You best bet is to upgrade Mr Lucas... and add an LED lamp or two...

Thats a thought.

swarfie
19th June 2014, 10:22
Thats a thought.

If I ride my pom-bombs fast enough I can run over Mr Lucas and Mr Millar :killingme:killingme

I may not catch Mr 3 Million Lumens though....:oi-grr:

caspernz
19th June 2014, 13:31
Mmmm, I can see a Youtube montage coming from my onboard camera on the truck...driver dazzled by cyclist riding illegally, followed closely by said cyclist flattened under a 30 wheel B-train combo :innocent:...all explained by John Campbell at 7pm as to why you should have your retina burners fitted to your bike frame instead of your scone protector...:Punk:

The only question might be what calibre ammo do I use to put the lycra clad fella out of his misery?

Gremlin
19th June 2014, 13:33
Mmmm, I can see a Youtube montage coming from my onboard camera on the truck...driver dazzled by cyclist riding illegally, followed closely by said cyclist flattened under a 30 wheel B-train combo :innocent:...all explained by John Campbell at 7pm as to why you should have your retina burners fitted to your bike frame instead of your scone protector...:Punk:
All you friendly truckers, no wonder I stick to mountain biking and throw myself into trees, over jumps etc. They don't fight back :lol:

caspernz
19th June 2014, 13:44
All you friendly truckers, no wonder I stick to mountain biking and throw myself into trees, over jumps etc. They don't fight back :lol:

Haha, all good really, for I don't subscribe to the vigilante approach when behind the wheel...but I do ponder sometimes...what if :crazy:

Some cyclists, and I do mean some only, have literally zero sense of self preservation. Even when they're darting out in front of big rigs :brick:

Good on Rastus for addressing the bright light yokel problem for starters :2thumbsup

Paul in NZ
19th June 2014, 14:14

I disagree.

On a trail I ride there are two particularly malevolent trees that are particularly agressive and I'm deeply suspicious about several tree roots as well. I'm considering cancelling my Forest and Bird donation as the bribes don't seem to be working.

bogan
19th June 2014, 15:07

would that make him a chafingfag then?

Paul in NZ
20th June 2014, 10:09
Went for a fairly pedestrian fang along this trail last night with a friend...

Miss Vicki politely declined our invitation to join us as she is deeply distrustful of 'those things that drop out of trees'... I make it clear that there were no vampires in those woods and she could always smoother herself in garlic... She gave me 'the look' and it turns out she was worried about 'possums... I laughed (out loud) and assured her I have NEVER seen a 'possum fall out of a tree yet unless it had been shot first.

So - Glenn and I were chortling away about this on the wider part of the trail when feck me - a bloody 'possum jumped down out of a bloody tree and ran away up and across the path - that startled a bunny that ran across the road right in front of me nearly causing me to have an unscheduled dismount at pace... (shouldnt have braked as a 29" wheel could surely roll over a bunny wabbit)

Mother Nature has a sense oh humour it appears

Big Dog
20th June 2014, 12:43
Went for a fairly pedestrian fang along this trail last night with a friend...

Miss Vicki politely declined our invitation to join us as she is deeply distrustful of 'those things that drop out of trees'... I make it clear that there were no vampires in those woods and she could always smoother herself in garlic... She gave me 'the look' and it turns out she was worried about 'possums... I laughed (out loud) and assured her I have NEVER seen a 'possum fall out of a tree yet unless it had been shot first.

So - Glenn and I were chortling away about this on the wider part of the trail when feck me - a bloody 'possum jumped down out of a bloody tree and ran away up and across the path - that startled a bunny that ran across the road right in front of me nearly causing me to have an unscheduled dismount at pace... (shouldnt have braked as a 29" wheel could surely roll over a bunny wabbit)

Mother Nature has a sense oh humour it appears

Lol, this is why I try to avoid the word never. Anything I say never about seems to come to be.

I am never going to win lotto without buying a ticket.

Autech
20th June 2014, 12:54
Here in Chch there are a few which insist on riding with head height forward facing strobe lights. I'm not talking some feeble LED here, these fuckers are really bright and I believe cause a greater hazard to the cyclist as the driver would be distracted/blinded by the light.

I *555'd one once coming home from work, don't know if the Police caught up with the chap but I believe it would be against the law to have such a thing operating near motor vehicles.

Paul in NZ
20th June 2014, 14:15
Here in Chch there are a few which insist on riding with head height forward facing strobe lights. I'm not talking some feeble LED here, these fuckers are really bright and I believe cause a greater hazard to the cyclist as the driver would be distracted/blinded by the light.

I *555'd one once coming home from work, don't know if the Police caught up with the chap but I believe it would be against the law to have such a thing operating near motor vehicles.

I was riding last night with two 3800 Lumen lights. One on my helmet and one on the front. One on the front is angled away from oncoming traffic (like on dip) and I look away from vehicles always. To cross the river we use the SH1 bridge foot path on the same side as the oncoming traffic and zero problems (ie no one got excited or died or anything etc) and both lights were set to lowest power - ie just one cree fired up. Put those buggers on strobe and aim them at traffic and i assure you you would see fuck all else... You are correct - these lights can be as dangerous to a driver as a laser is to a pilot...

Oh - I'm ordering a 9000 Lumen one this weekend - yeah baby - get em while they are legal...

Oh - this is the next step... http://www.audi.com/content/com/brand/en/vorsprung_durch_technik/content/2014/04/laser-high-beam.html

Berries
20th June 2014, 14:20
.......and I look away from vehicles.
That sounds safe.

Big Dog
20th June 2014, 15:25
I was riding last night with two 3800 Lumen lights. One on my helmet and one on the front. One on the front is angled away from oncoming traffic (like on dip) and I look away from vehicles always. To cross the river we use the SH1 bridge foot path on the same side as the oncoming traffic and zero problems (ie no one got excited or died or anything etc) and both lights were set to lowest power - ie just one cree fired up. Put those buggers on strobe and aim them at traffic and i assure you you would see fuck all else... You are correct - these lights can be as dangerous to a driver as a laser is to a pilot...

Oh - I'm ordering a 9000 Lumen one this weekend - yeah baby - get em while they are legal...

Oh - this is the next step... http://www.audi.com/content/com/brand/en/vorsprung_durch_technik/content/2014/04/laser-high-beam.html

Shirley to look away from them you must first be facing them as they come over a rise, round a corner, out from behind the bushes etc?
Double Shirley you would find I a moment of crisis you would do a possum and turn to face the threat thereby making your lot worse?

SMOKEU
20th June 2014, 15:33
would that make him a chafingfag then?

What's this whole "chafing" thing people speak so ill of? After a 50km push bike ride in jeans and a T shirt, I've never had it.

Paul in NZ
20th June 2014, 16:04
That sounds safe.

Safer than having a blinded driver hurtling towards me... Oh - well maybe not the driver so much as his car...

No - light is on helmet, just tilt head a bit while keeping an eye on the car. I'm on a raised foot path on a bridge and really not wanting to fall over the side...

Point is the lights are dangerous but in the 100M I'm a danger I'm being careful ;-)

Kickaha
20th June 2014, 19:38
I was riding last night with two 3800 Lumen lights.

Holy crap, I use 1200 lumen for night rides and don't even get close to outriding it, might need to upgrade so I can fry possums in the trees

neels
20th June 2014, 19:40
Holy crap, I use 1200 lumen for night rides and don't even get close to outriding it, might need to upgrade so I can fry possums in the trees
bugger the LED's, go straight for lasers to sort the furry buggers out.

Paul in NZ
20th June 2014, 19:50

Either that or you need to ride faster ;-) Not 100% sure the Chinese measure their lumens like others do... Its PLENTY bright and cheap as chips though.. Possibly virtual lumens

http://www.dhgate.com/product/bike-front-light-9800lm-7x-cree-xml-t6-led/182182571.html#s1-14-1|1036562849

want.....

bogan
20th June 2014, 20:10
Either that or you need to ride faster ;-) Not 100% sure the Chinese measure their lumens like others do... Its PLENTY bright and cheap as chips though.. Possibly virtual lumens

http://www.dhgate.com/product/bike-front-light-9800lm-7x-cree-xml-t6-led/182182571.html#s1-14-1|1036562849

want.....

It'll be like your PMPO ratings on speakers, the most the LEDs can handle before exploding.

Fucking rubbish optics on that one for road use too.

Paul in NZ
20th June 2014, 20:39
It'll be like your PMPO ratings on speakers, the most the LEDs can handle before exploding.

Fucking rubbish optics on that one for road use too.

Fuckin awesome for yer mountain bikin though and cheap

bogan
20th June 2014, 20:57
Fuckin awesome for yer mountain bikin though and cheap

Yeh just keep that shit off road where the hazards neither move nor see the light and we'll have no problem.

Paul in NZ
21st June 2014, 07:51
Yeh just keep that shit off road where the hazards neither move nor see the light and we'll have no problem.

That 'possum and those rabbits were moving plenty.... But yes - off road use only...

R650R
21st June 2014, 10:14
An insight into road cyclist behaviour. Now it seems in Europe they have the common sense to do this on a closed road by the looks of it.
But I expect its not far off from the NZ riders behaviour on our backroads on their weekend training/club rides. Video really shows how dangerous the pack riding is, why are cyclist exempt from the 2 second rule.
I've seen several accidents in our local rag where a car knocked off several cyclists when really if they were spread out only one would be injured. I think this domino effect creates misleading statistic also in the car/truck vs bikes numbers...

video insert thingy not working... so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13BENuYp19w

nzspokes
21st June 2014, 10:33
An insight into road cyclist behaviour. Now it seems in Europe they have the common sense to do this on a closed road by the looks of it.
But I expect its not far off from the NZ riders behaviour on our backroads on their weekend training/club rides.

Cool, grab some on board footage of a Pro Level road race finish then say all riders can do that. :killingme

You ride a motorcycle so you must ride like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY9mrKR5SkA :tugger:

R650R
21st June 2014, 11:12
Cool, grab some on board footage of a Pro Level road race finish then say all riders can do that. :killingme

You ride a motorcycle so you must ride like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY9mrKR5SkA :tugger:

Thanks you've confirmed my point. I don't ride like that on the road but there are tools out there that do including a former flatmate who was a regular knee down road rider and wrapped himself around a powerpole at 140k on the Clevedon road. But ride a motorbike like that and you are subject to enforcement action.
However conduct an official or unofficial cycle race on a public NZ road while there is still oncoming traffic and ride like the cycle video and enforcement turns a blind eye to riders at their fatigue limit riding too close and at speed.
That video look exactly like what we see our local cycle club doing, maybe i'll give you 5-10% slower as their all taking the same drugs Lance Armstrong was anyway... hmmm roadside drug testing for cyclists, some must be on speed with the way they behave in their vigilante roadrage vids...
Its clearly a set of one rules for one sector of road users and no rules for another.

nzspokes
21st June 2014, 17:38
Thanks you've confirmed my point. I don't ride like that on the road but there are tools out there that do including a former flatmate who was a regular knee down road rider and wrapped himself around a powerpole at 140k on the Clevedon road. But ride a motorbike like that and you are subject to enforcement action.
However conduct an official or unofficial cycle race on a public NZ road while there is still oncoming traffic and ride like the cycle video and enforcement turns a blind eye to riders at their fatigue limit riding too close and at speed.
That video look exactly like what we see our local cycle club doing, maybe i'll give you 5-10% slower as their all taking the same drugs Lance Armstrong was anyway... hmmm roadside drug testing for cyclists, some must be on speed with the way they behave in their vigilante roadrage vids...
Its clearly a set of one rules for one sector of road users and no rules for another.

I ride my motorcycle a lot out that way and the Yokals cant drive worth a damn.

No, club cycle races are not at all like that. Ive done a good few of them. No they aint on the drugs Armstrong took. That shit is way to expensive for your local club racer.

Slow down Rossi.

Gremlin
21st June 2014, 20:36
That video look exactly like what we see our local cycle club doing, maybe i'll give you 5-10% slower as their all taking the same drugs Lance Armstrong was anyway...
First of all, the European tours are massive, think Tour de France but on a slightly smaller scale (not much though). Yes, they are full road closures but it's on a scale we can't imagine. That's also the very end of the stage. Most stages in the tours are around 140-200km and hours of riding and it's only the end where it gets that hectic as they jostle for position (perhaps downhill where the pace picks up). Most of it is actually cruisy in comparison.

NZ has one UCI ranked event (the international cycling body) which isn't even close to the level of the Pro Tours, which has around 100 cyclists and there is a rolling road closure with the assistance of police and outriders that control bridges, junctions and the last 1-2km is closed road. Other major events (not tours) can be on closed roads as well or at the least, with warnings to public.

Having been involved in multiple events with a big variety (amateur to UCI tour), no, nothing gets close to Pro Tour level so your example isn't valid.

R650R
22nd June 2014, 14:55
Having been involved in multiple events with a big variety (amateur to UCI tour), no, nothing gets close to Pro Tour level so your example isn't valid.

I'll admit I was trolling a little but frequently the local club here has events on narrow busy country roads and they are riding close in packs. There's so much potential for a mass casualty event with these guys riding so close in packs on roads still open to other traffic. Some poor lifestyle block owner or milk tanker driver will pull out of a driveway at wrong moment and be up on a manslaughter charge all because the police/ACC/OSH ignore the clear evident hazard present. Its in complete contrast to the permits and safety conditions required for other sports events and protest marches etc.

russd7
22nd June 2014, 17:00
generally don't have an issue with cyclists but what does rip me is these tossers out there in there lycra training on our roads and riding in pods of two, three and even four abreast sometimes will have a car or van traveling slowly behind them blocking the road and then get upset when people abuse the wankers. if i come across cyclists training that are being respectful and considerate i will slow down and give them a wide berth but now when i come up behind a pod i will show them no respect at all, if they pulled their heads out of their asses and looked to the light of day and showed the other road users the respect they should then they would get respect in return.
and while i am ranting these dickheads seem to be able to get any road closed and police help for their pathetic self absorbed races but we can no longer get police help when we are doing our easter egg run and get sweet stuff all help for our toy run both of which are fundraisers for our local kids

Juniper
30th June 2014, 08:00
The flashy lights annoy me and blind me. There's a reason were not allowed them so I don't see why they should be allowed to have them.

What pisses me off is that they are getting more and more cycle lanes put in our roads and yet they don't pay any road user charges.

Now I don't know how you would rego a bicycle but that doesn't stop my annoyance.

mikeey01
30th June 2014, 08:26
What pisses me off is that they are getting more and more cycle lanes put in our roads and yet they don't pay any road user charges. .
Cycle lanes are for cyclists safety (read how dangerous it really is (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10213239/Cyclists-hit-every-3-days)) and it's a myth to think a large majority don't pay in some way, be it rates, Vehicle registration and or road user charges.

Ruscat, I'm sure you are aware of the official NZ Road Code for Cyclists (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/cyclist-code/),

- Headlights should be attached to handlebars and pointing down.
- Your lights can be a hazard if used incorrectly. You must not use cycle lighting equipment in such a way that it dazzles, confuses, or distracts so as to endanger the safety of other road users.

Lycra & arrogance with no policing.

nzspokes
30th June 2014, 08:42
The flashy lights annoy me and blind me. There's a reason were not allowed them so I don't see why they should be allowed to have them.

What pisses me off is that they are getting more and more cycle lanes put in our roads and yet they don't pay any road user charges.

Now I don't know how you would rego a bicycle but that doesn't stop my annoyance.

Try thinking about this for a bit. Cost of compliance to get bicycles registered is far higher than return. So the cost of the tax is higher than the money they would get back. Ive seen a study on this years ago. It just doesnt work.

And while you are parked up in traffic today, think about this. If 10% of road users rode a bicycle or motorcycle to work there would be no congestion.

So hop on your peddly and ride to work.

Juniper
30th June 2014, 08:47
Try thinking about this for a bit. Cost of compliance to get bicycles registered is far higher than return. So the cost of the tax is higher than the money they would get back. Ive seen a study on this years ago. It just doesnt work.

And while you are parked up in traffic today, think about this. If 10% of road users rode a bicycle or motorcycle to work there would be no congestion.

So hop on your peddly and ride to work.

But I wasn't stuck in traffic today, I was on a motorbike lol.

Yeah as I said I can't figure out a remedy for it. Along with the whole ACC thing and the fact they don't pay it.

With the amount of people I see riding bicycles without helmets I don't think its something the police bother policing.

nzspokes
30th June 2014, 08:59
Along with the whole ACC thing and the fact they don't pay it.

Well I pay more ACC fees than you so I have right of way on the road.

Juniper
30th June 2014, 10:31
Well I pay more ACC fees than you so I have right of way on the road.

Hehe I usually give bigger bikes right of way unless I'm being playful.... or if they can't ride or are holding me up.

We all pay ACC with our jobs, its just bikes and cars pay more ACC to cover road accidents.... but cyclests have road accidents and yet dont pay extra ACC.

nzspokes
30th June 2014, 10:38
Hehe I usually give bigger bikes right of way unless I'm being playful.... or if they can't ride or are holding me up.

We all pay ACC with our jobs, its just bikes and cars pay more ACC to cover road accidents.... but cyclests have road accidents and yet dont pay extra ACC.

Again I pay more ACC than you. I pay on 2 cars, 2 bikes and a trailer. So by your thinking I have more right to be on the road.

I also cycle from time to time. So does this mean I dont pay enough?

I cant use all my vehicles at once but have to pay ACC on them all.

How much do road cycle accidents really cost? The ACC figures put in all cycle incidents as one, so off road and kids in the driveway.

You will find most commuting cyclists and recreational ones pay ACC for cars and the like.

Juniper
30th June 2014, 10:49
Again I pay more ACC than you. I pay on 2 cars, 2 bikes and a trailer. So by your thinking I have more right to be on the road.

I also cycle from time to time. So does this mean I dont pay enough?

I cant use all my vehicles at once but have to pay ACC on them all.

How much do road cycle accidents really cost? The ACC figures put in all cycle incidents as one, so off road and kids in the driveway.

You will find most commuting cyclists and recreational ones pay ACC for cars and the like.

I use the road so I pay. It's paying road ACC that's the point.

I kinda can see the point of paying ACC per unit. Some are more "dangerous" than others. Not saying I like it but hey.

I also pay for 1 bike and 1 car.

Do they lump all motorbike accidents into 1?

nzspokes
30th June 2014, 10:54

I kinda can see the point of paying ACC per unit. Some are more "dangerous" than others. Not saying I like it but hey.

I believe all motorcycle incidents are as one, includes moped and scooter. I could be wrong on this though.

The ACC levy that would apply to a cyclist would be under $5 per year. Do you really want to start a whole new process for this?

i still pay more than you to be on the road so I still have more rights. As does a mate who owns a trucking business who happens to cycle.

bogan
30th June 2014, 10:55

There's certainly a double standard, but splitting it up into more subgroups and payment plans is not the way to go. Cyclists get their road ACC payment done on their other vehicle, so why should bikers pay for their other vehicles and a jumped up charge on their bike.

On the other hand, perhaps a benefit of registering pedlies would be increased compliance or ease of enforcement of other good things, like helmets and proper lighting...

Juniper
30th June 2014, 11:15
I believe all motorcycle incidents are as one, includes moped and scooter. I could be wrong on this though.

The ACC levy that would apply to a cyclist would be under $5 per year. Do you really want to start a whole new process for this?

i still pay more than you to be on the road so I still have more rights. As does a mate who owns a trucking business who happens to cycle.

I never stated that more ROAD ACC provides more rights. I stated that we all pay a stock ACC through our employment and that road users pay an additional ACC to use the road. This covers road based incidents.

TBH ACC and Road User Charges are separate debates to a degree. They use the road and are getting cycle lanes and front of the line cycle sections on the road that are solely for them and yet don't pay to use the road.

Juniper
30th June 2014, 11:17
There's certainly a double standard, but splitting it up into more subgroups and payment plans is not the way to go. Cyclists get their road ACC payment done on their other vehicle, so why should bikers pay for their other vehicles and a jumped up charge on their bike.

On the other hand, perhaps a benefit of registering pedlies would be increased compliance or ease of enforcement of other good things, like helmets and proper lighting...

Thats just like saying I pay ACC and RUC for my car so why should I have to pay it for my motorbike too? The fact of life is that we do, so they should too.

bogan
30th June 2014, 11:21
Thats just like saying I pay ACC and RUC for my car so why should I have to pay it for my motorbike too? The fact of life is that we do, so they should too.

It's not just like that, it is exactly that which I am saying :laugh:

The other fact of life could be that they don't, so we shouldn't either :bleh: (my wallet prefers (and currently adheres to) this scenario). It's one of those glass is twice as big as it should be thingos.

Juniper
30th June 2014, 12:09
It's not just like that, it is exactly that which I am saying :laugh:

The other fact of life could be that they don't, so we shouldn't either :bleh: (my wallet prefers (and currently adheres to) this scenario). It's one of those glass is twice as big as it should be thingos.

Well I don't make the rules I just follow them (most of the time) but WOF and REGO are the rules I try to keep to. My insurance doesn't like me otherwise. And if I'm caught doing something else I don't really need to give them more of an excuse to fine me more.

neels
30th June 2014, 13:08
They use the road and are getting cycle lanes and front of the line cycle sections on the road that are solely for them and yet don't pay to use the road.
Cycle lanes, roads, footpaths are paid for by local council, so if the cyclist you are referring to resides in a house then they are paying rates, so by default they are paying for the road they are using.

In fact, I pay more rates than people whose houses are worth less than mine, does that give me more right to use of the road than them?

Juniper
30th June 2014, 13:33
Cycle lanes, roads, footpaths are paid for by local council, so if the cyclist you are referring to resides in a house then they are paying rates, so by default they are paying for the road they are using.

In fact, I pay more rates than people whose houses are worth less than mine, does that give me more right to use of the road than them?

Whats people thing with "rights"?

upkeep of the roads is a part of our rego

Vehicle licensing is the regular process through which you pay a fee to use your vehicle on public roads. The fee helps to pay for roading projects and road safety programmes.

Roading projects would be new roads, painting, changing, adding and removing of lanes.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/licensing.html

Tazz
30th June 2014, 14:11
I never stated that more ROAD ACC provides more rights. I stated that we all pay a stock ACC through our employment and that road users pay an additional ACC to use the road. This covers road based incidents.

TBH ACC and Road User Charges are separate debates to a degree. They use the road and are getting cycle lanes and front of the line cycle sections on the road that are solely for them and yet don't pay to use the road.

Hmm on the fence on this. I definitely think sports clubs should have to contribute something to ACC considering the claims, but on the whole we're all better off with more people on pushbikes (even if some are retarded enough to use off road lighting on the street :rolleyes:) and if they start bringing in more restrictive fees and crap it will put people off. After that you'll be after people walking on the footpath or national walkways to pay ACC...

They can be annoying as fark and can have bullshit attitudes (someone on here said they ride more than 2 abreast in a group to stop people passing too close. Most other road users do the opposite and move to the left to make sure people can pass... :brick:) but everyone is already paying through the nose for enough crap without the need to force more costs on others just because it's not our own choice of transport and we feel sore about our costs.

Annnnnd back to the lights. Yes some dumbarses have ones that are way to bright, yes it doesn't make sense that they can have pulsing lights but other vehicles can't but they do seem to work (pulsing rear ones are awesome on a long dark straight. I like not running over people because of them.) and yes riders with clearly excessive lighting for the street should be fined like other road users. A lot of those high powered LED lights have 2 or 3 different intensity settings anyway.

neels
30th June 2014, 14:12
upkeep of the roads is a part of our rego

Part of the upkeep of the roads is part of our rego, the rest is funded from local rates.....

Tazz
30th June 2014, 15:17
Part of the upkeep of the roads is part of our rego, the rest is funded from local rates.....

Eh? That's exactly what she said/you quoted!

And while we're here I'll have you know the upkeep of the roads is part of our rego/vehicle licensing fees :lol:

MarkH
30th June 2014, 19:58
They use the road and are getting cycle lanes and front of the line cycle sections on the road that are solely for them and yet don't pay to use the road.

Those are solely for them?
Oops!
Oh well, I didn't use them front of the line cycle sections all that many times today :whistle:
Besides - a bicycle or a 1300cc motorcycle, what's the difference really?

nzspokes
30th June 2014, 21:20
Those are solely for them?
Oops!
Oh well, I didn't use them front of the line cycle sections all that many times today :whistle:
Besides - a bicycle or a 1300cc motorcycle, what's the difference really?

$150 and 20 demerits?

R650R
2nd July 2014, 18:56
Well some fully scientific real world data from tonight. Had forgotten about this thread so not looking for the problem but hello there it is.
Oncoming cyclist with two bright LED lights on handlebars not seeming to be angled down at all. All ok until he went around a parked car then his lights pointed straight at me.
Definately dazzling and a safety hazard. Was in car and they seemed pretty much at eye level to me.

Big Dog
2nd July 2014, 20:17
A vegetable this morning was cruising along on his push bike with three flashing bright LEDs.
First reaction was to poke him in the eye and ask how he liked it
Second was to high beam the bastard back.
Third was to provide him a wee lesson in why at least separating them would make him more visible, making two not flash would make him legal and or at least making them all in phase would make it less likely they will give someone a seizure.

Reality? Grit my teeth and carry on. Not worth the aggro.

bigreddog
9th July 2014, 18:33
LED's front and rear on my pushie, hi viz vest and a helmet covered in reflective tape... and still they don't see me.
Daily 3.5km commute is a nightmare, opening doors on me, passing too close...turning across In front of me and giving me abuse.....
Bunch of half asleep halfwits driving with one eye on facebook....

Power to the cyclists (not the ones in Lycra tho),and of course the bikers.

nzspokes
9th July 2014, 19:35
LED's front and rear on my pushie, hi viz vest and a helmet covered in reflective tape... and still they don't see me.
Daily 3.5km commute is a nightmare, opening doors on me, passing too close...turning across In front of me and giving me abuse.....
Bunch of half asleep halfwits driving with one eye on facebook....

Power to the cyclists (not the ones in Lycra tho),and of course the bikers.

But your from Asburton, I would have thought you know both of those with cars.:laugh:

bigreddog
10th July 2014, 13:51
Good point....we're all related.

Big Dog
10th July 2014, 17:23
In other words they say you. Recognised you.

speights_bud
8th January 2015, 22:07

Thread dredge... I am window shopping around for led lights for on a hunting rifle and rembered this thread. How did you get on with the 9000lm? And do you have an online supplier? Although 3800lm would probably be plenty for possums and such like

breakaway
9th January 2015, 11:06
Just buy from amazon -- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=9000lm&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A9000lm

Will also need some 18650 batteries. At that sort of power it will burn through them. http://www.amazon.com/TrustFire-Protected-2400mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00ABE7WB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420758460&sr=8-1&keywords=18650+trustfire

If they won't ship it to NZ, sign up a youshop account and use that.

R650R
12th September 2015, 22:11
Ohhh it seems cyclists do pay their way.... 3.75 million in fines over 5 years!!!! Not so holier and safer than thou now are they.....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/71990346/cyclists-cop-375m-in-fines

NordieBoy
14th September 2015, 09:45
Holier, yes, safer?

neels
14th September 2015, 14:58
The majority of cyclists would just be happy not to be run over/run off the road by ignorant truck drivers who don't care how much their trailers are wagging as they pass cyclists and drivers who are too busy looking at their phones to look at what's in front of them or in their mirrors.

The extremes are the militant cyclist rights campaigners, and the cyclists that don't give a fuck about road rules, as usual it's a bell curve with the silent majority of normal people in the middle.

Paul in NZ
15th September 2015, 08:38
Thread dredge... I am window shopping around for led lights for on a hunting rifle and rembered this thread. How did you get on with the 9000lm? And do you have an online supplier? Although 3800lm would probably be plenty for possums and such like

Dredge reply, d'oh... Sorry, I missed that.

In the end we decided the 9000lm would be too heavy and compromised on the 5000lm one (these are Chinese lm btw)

While it puts out more light the primitive reflector does not actually give any more distance but the spread is definitely better. So the 5000 goes on the bike and the 3800 goes on the head.

The 3800lm unit (3 cree led's) is definitely the best bang for your buck....

Cheers

bogan
15th September 2015, 08:42
In the end we decided the 9000lm would be too heavy and compromised on the 5000lm one (these are Chinese lm btw)

While it puts out more light the primitive reflector does not actually give any more distance but the spread is definitely better.

A bit slopey then? :whistle:

husaberg
19th September 2015, 19:23
A bit slopey then? :whistle:
Seen one of these the other day ran the bugger down

<marquee behavior="slide" direction="right">315933</marquee>

AllanB
20th September 2015, 18:12
I was cursing a arse cyclist the other night over this - LED light blinking like a strobe on his helmet straight into oncoming drivers eyes. Fucktard.

R650R
26th September 2015, 09:57
The majority of cyclists would just be happy not to be run over/run off the road by ignorant truck drivers who don't care how much their trailers are wagging as they pass cyclists and drivers who are too busy looking at their phones to look at what's in front of them or in their mirrors.

The extremes are the militant cyclist rights campaigners, and the cyclists that don't give a fuck about road rules, as usual it's a bell curve with the silent majority of normal people in the middle.

I agree with your last sentence but theres also a bellcurve of truck behaviour. Just like how normal people only remember their last interaction with militant cyclist, cyclists only remember that last near miss (in their opinion) with a truck.
Trailers do not waggle a s far as cylists are concerned, they will bump steer a very minor amount on some straight bumpy roads and although it looks significant to a following motorist its negligible.
Cyclists have no idea of the efforts that most truck drivers go to avoid running them over. As professional road users we're expected to operate a higher degree of caution around obvious frequent hazards. To harm or kill one where it was easily avoidable is very likely jail time and no one wants that, hence most go to much trouble an operating expense not to collide.

Driving to work on early shift other month what do I see.... a feral type cyclist wearing hoodie dimming his periphal senses, cycling no hands while using cellphone an no lights, prob txting his p dealer for next fix.
Now this one cyclist is as representative of ALL cyclists in the same proportion that ONE bad truck driver is of all other truck drivers, its just the last bad interaction you recall....

There are some 22,000 truck drivers in NZ (prob lot more those stats 10 years old), if they were as bad as cyclists make out we would have hundreds of dead cylists every year if even 1% (220) were evil devil may car bike killers..... But luckily that macabre fantasy only exists sipping lattes while 'road warriors' recount (ahem make up) their last near miss story....

Tazz
26th September 2015, 12:08

Hear hear! You see the cunts all the time pegging it right before merging lanes almost catching cars in between the truck and trailer too. Knuckle draggers.
Easy to pick out who's paying attention and whos not behind the wheel of a truck after a few corners though.

I was cursing a arse cyclist the other night over this - LED light blinking like a strobe on his helmet straight into oncoming drivers eyes. Fucktard.

I had the opposite the other night, was stoked to be able to see a cyclists LED from a good distance away in the lashing rain. Open road though.