PDA

View Full Version : Slipping for a split second at 6000rpm in third gear only

jrad
22nd June 2014, 16:04
Hi guys,

Ive got a very frustrating problem with my GN250.
As per the title its slipping for a split second at 6000rpm in third gear only then continues as normal.
Ive brought it to a mechanic and he did a full service and tune up but its still doing it although not as bad as before.
Im bringing it back to him but he is reluctant to have another look because I couldnt find anything wrong with it the first time.
It does it uphills and also on the flat and its driving me nuts and I believe it could be quite dangerous if it happened on a turn or what not.

Anyone every hear of anything like this happening or have it happen to them and was it fixable??
Id appreciate any feedback.....apart from feedback about GN250 being rubbish.
Thanks

jellywrestler
22nd June 2014, 16:10
Hi guys,

As per the title its slipping for a split second at 6000rpm in third gear only then continues as normal.
Ive brought it to a mechanic and he did a full service and tune up but its still doing it although not as bad as before.
Im bringing it back to him but he is reluctant to have another look because I couldnt find anything wrong with it the first time.
It does it uphills and also on the flat and its driving me nuts and I believe it could be quite dangerous if it happened on a turn or what not.

Anyone every hear of anything like this happening or have it happen to them and was it fixable??
Thanks
what's slipping, the tyre or the clutch?

jrad
22nd June 2014, 16:13

Not the tyre and according to the mechanic not the clutch either.
Its as though the drive spins without transfering to the wheel.

swbarnett
22nd June 2014, 16:14
Hi guys,

Thanks
How many ks are on it? I had one for a while. After about 20,000km from new I'd worn out the clutch plates. What you describe is pretty much how the problem stated to make itself known.

jrad
22nd June 2014, 16:30
How many ks are on it? I had one for a while. After about 20,000km from new I'd worn out the clutch plates. What you describe is pretty much how the problem stated to make itself known.

Theres 23,000k on it.
I originally feared clutch plates alright but the mechanic assured me that if the clutch was going there would have been a lot less power going to the back wheel and the front wouldnt have lifted up when you accelerated hard.

Did yours slip on every gear at the start or just certain ones to begin with?

FJRider
22nd June 2014, 16:54

It's a GN250 ... :facepalm:

even at 6000 rpm .. :laugh:

Not the tyre and according to the mechanic not the clutch either.
Its as though the drive spins without transfering to the wheel.

I'm guessing it's NOT a badly adjusted headlight that's the cause ... stop using Car oil to top up the oil level ...

Clutch springs or plates (or both) is my guess.

BUT ...

It COULD be the chain jumping a cog ... ??? check chain tension / condition ...

swbarnett
22nd June 2014, 17:41
Theres 23,000k on it.
I originally feared clutch plates alright but the mechanic assured me that if the clutch was going there would have been a lot less power going to the back wheel and the front wouldnt have lifted up when you accelerated hard.

Did yours slip on every gear at the start or just certain ones to begin with?
Mine did it in every gear and before I got the plates replaced it was quite bad. If yours has the same problem it will get worse as the plates wear more. Then it will be more easily detectable.

AllanB
22nd June 2014, 17:47
Sounds like clutch. Keep riding and it will get worse and confirm the clutch is done.

Or the chain - farking GN owners neglect their chains something awful from what I see rattling along.

skinman
22nd June 2014, 18:20
sounds like clutch, plates may still be ok but springs may be weak which the mechanic will not be able to check. Probably be relativily cheap to replace clutch on one of them. surprised it isnt happening in higher gears as well but if it is the clutch it will eventually, maybe not enough power

Akzle
22nd June 2014, 18:55
the front wouldnt have lifted up when you accelerated hard.

a gn! Funny guy!

Chain, oil, clutch. In that order.

jrad
22nd June 2014, 19:49
Thanks guys, sounds like i should just keep riding it until the clutch craps out.
Appreciate the comments and advice

ducatilover
22nd June 2014, 20:06
Adjust the clutch first...

FJRider
22nd June 2014, 20:12
Thanks guys, sounds like i should just keep riding it until the clutch craps out.
Appreciate the comments and advice

Good idea .. just don't go far from home (civilization) until it does.

The recovery costs may exceed the bike's worth ..

Big Dog
22nd June 2014, 20:16
Simplest check, is your clutch cable properly adjusted?

My wife's old gn had a similar issue. Turned out that very occasionally the cable would not fully return making the bike prone to slips near the redline in top two gears only. Right about where peak torque is? Usually only if clutching the shift.

Fix was to correctly adjust the cable, degrease and grease the cable. For us that meant bending the adjuster at the clutch end into the proper alignment. Bent from a previous lie down. That 5 degrees meant the clutch lever went all the way home.

If that is sell operational. My money is on clutch plates worn or contaminated with car oil.

For the price difference get a kit not just the plates. Go aftermarket if you can. It should: Cost you less for a better quality kit than for genuine plates.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

ducatilover
22nd June 2014, 20:23
Good idea .. just don't go far from home (civilization) until it does.

The recovery costs may exceed the bike's worth ..

Sometimes you do not give very good advice at all.

FJRider
22nd June 2014, 20:31
Sometimes you do not give very good advice at all.

Sometimes ... you're right ... :apint:

ducatilover
22nd June 2014, 20:53
Sometimes ... you're right ... :apint:

Like fuck :brick:

nzspokes
22nd June 2014, 21:00
GNs are not rubbish. A lot start out on them.

Does sound like clutch slip. So if you ask nicely see if any member local to you can take it for a ride to confirm. Then ask said member if he will help you change the clutch. Not a big or long job. Last clutch I did was a 1 beer job. So about 40 mins, not a fast drinker.

From memory the plates for that bike (not a GN) were $70.

nodrog
22nd June 2014, 21:12
Your dogs are worn on third gear.

ducatilover
22nd June 2014, 21:13
I think I still have a spare clutch, will check when I am at my other garage in a week or so.

AllanB
22nd June 2014, 21:50
I think I still have a spare clutch, will check when I am at my other garage in a week or so.

Ow man two garages .........:clap:

jrad
23rd June 2014, 08:11
Simplest check, is your clutch cable properly adjusted?

My wife's old gn had a similar issue. Turned out that very occasionally the cable would not fully return making the bike prone to slips near the redline in top two gears only. Right about where peak torque is? Usually only if clutching the shift.

Fix was to correctly adjust the cable, degrease and grease the cable. For us that meant bending the adjuster at the clutch end into the proper alignment. Bent from a previous lie down. That 5 degrees meant the clutch lever went all the way home.

If that is sell operational. My money is on clutch plates worn or contaminated with car oil.

For the price difference get a kit not just the plates. Go aftermarket if you can. It should: Cost you less for a better quality kit than for genuine plates.

You know it has been dropped by the previous owner onto the left hand side. You could be on to something.

GNs are not rubbish. A lot start out on them.

Does sound like clutch slip. So if you ask nicely see if any member local to you can take it for a ride to confirm. Then ask said member if he will help you change the clutch. Not a big or long job. Last clutch I did was a 1 beer job. So about 40 mins, not a fast drinker.

From memory the plates for that bike (not a GN) were $70.

That would be ideal. I'm in CHCH, I took it out to the road to Akaroa to try pinpoint where it skips but as someone who is new to bikes I can only tell the problem but not whats causing it.

What are the dogs?

That would be great, please let me know.

jellywrestler
23rd June 2014, 10:18
What are the dogs?

try googling it, that way you'll learn a few things that may be important one day.

Ribit
23rd June 2014, 11:37

I'd agree with that one.
Jrad: Look up motorcycle gearbox on google...

jrad
23rd June 2014, 11:42
Yes, googled it.
Sounds very plausible

swbarnett
23rd June 2014, 13:10
Or the chain - farking GN owners neglect their chains something awful from what I see rattling along.
Especially with the crap chain they come with.

jrad
25th June 2014, 09:39
Brought it in to Suzuki and they've opened it up.
Worn gears and worn shifter is the order of the day.

Ribit
25th June 2014, 10:40
Nodrog called it! Now go and stand under the tail of your nearest cow and wait to receive your prize of a pat on the head.

nodrog
25th June 2014, 11:10
Nodrog called it! Now go and stand under the tail of your nearest cow and wait to receive your prize of a pat on the head.

It was pretty easy, the clutch couldn't give a shit what gear it was in, and it would certainly slip for more than "a split second at 6000rpm".

Plus I've fucked a few gearboxes.

swarfie
25th June 2014, 12:19
Plus I've fucked a few gearboxes.

That's cause you're a ruff cunt!!!

nodrog
25th June 2014, 14:22
That's cause you're a ruff cunt!!!

well you are half right, just choose a half.

swarfie
25th June 2014, 15:54
well you are half right, just choose a half.

Sometimes one half is usefull....which you are not :killingme

jrad
25th June 2014, 16:50
Holy shit!!
I just got a call and they wanted $2k+ to fix or $400 just for the work theyve done so far.
What the hell do I do??

flashg
25th June 2014, 17:07
I missed what year your bike is. I have a 83 model motor in the shed (made in japan) top end buggered, but gearbox sweet. If the same as yours you can have it (free) I'm in chch just swap the good bits

jrad
25th June 2014, 17:21
I missed what year your bike is. I have a 83 model motor in the shed (made in japan) top end buggered, but gearbox sweet. If the same as yours you can have it (free) I'm in chch just swap the good bits

Thanks mate, thats really good of you but Im afraid mines a 06 and I have no doubt that there will be some reason it doesnt match.
A very kind offer though.

flashg
25th June 2014, 17:33
Yes i think yours made in china and not exactly the same. My son got another motor from wreakers. Might be a lot cheaper option

Mom
25th June 2014, 21:07

That's naughty! Very funny, but naughty all the same...

I am not going with clutch or anything else. I will say it is fuel related. Probably needs a good thrashing.

Akzle
26th June 2014, 12:44
What the hell do I do??

put your big boy undies on, pay the good men, presumably they'll return it to you in one piece.