PDA

View Full Version : TradeMe grumbles....

kerryg
7th September 2005, 11:13
Probably like most members here I use TradeMe a bit (actually quite a bit) to buy and sell odds and ends. Have done so for 2 or 3 years and have close to 200 trades now. In the past couple of months I have had several really annoying experiences, when I had only one bad trade for the first couple of years. There seems to be a new and unscrupulous element on TradeMe these days. Thing that pisses me off the most is the poxy feedback system TradeMe use. A dishonest trader can post bad feedback against a decent trader, so if I buy something and it turns out to be broken/ not as described/whatever, the seller who cheated me can post nasty feedback about me, without any need for proof. I have made several purchases where I have decided not to post bad feedback because the prick who cheated me threatened to post bad feedback against me if I did (and I value my reputation). So the thieves get to keep on trading...

Anybody else had these sorts of problems?

I see one coming up now for me, which is what made me think of it. I sold a bike jacket to a guy who now wants to return it because it doesn't fit. Too tight. Guy reckons it's not really an XL even though it is labelled XL 'cos other XL jackets (even L jackets) he's tried fit him. Odd thing is I'm 6'1" and 95kgs (and usually take an XL or even an XXL which is the size of the Spyke jacket I bought when I upgraded) and it fitted me fine, while he's 5'9" and 88kgs and it's too small. WTF?? Maybe he's a strange shape, I dunno. :no:

Anyway I've said no, he can't have his money back in this situation. Different if it was faulty etc. So I'm bound to get bad feedback from this joker, when I've done an honest trade. It sucks.

I would love to know a good way of overcoming this sort of unfair situation

MSTRS
7th September 2005, 11:18
Ask the guy for his address. Just so you can go round to confirm his claims etc, you understand.

kerryg
7th September 2005, 11:38
Ask the guy for his address. Just so you can go round to confirm his claims etc, you understand.

Yeah...but I'd have to go to Wellington to do it :argh:

MSTRS
7th September 2005, 11:45
Yeah...but I'd have to go to Wellington to do it :argh:
nah...you send an agent (or two) of his local KBers to give the guy an impartial report on his sizing claims. And to advise him not to buy clothes over the net if he wants it to fit perfectly before paying for it.
I mean, the guy must be retarded if he thinks these sort of deals are money-back if not satisfied.

ManDownUnder
7th September 2005, 11:52
My suggestion is to simply take it on the chin, and explain the situation in the feedback response notes. Be calm and polite about it, but explain why you think you're in the right.

Email Trademe about the situationa nd see if they can (or are willing to...) do anything about it.

Anyone with 1/2 a brain is going to see the way that story unfolded.

Adds a whole new dimension to buyer beware though... like "seller beware".

Good luck chap
MDU

dhunt
7th September 2005, 11:54
Yeah my flatmate has often complained about, but doesn't post bad feedback as that effects his record. And you can change your feedback too I think so if someone writes something nasty about you. You can change your feedback to something nasty is well which is quite stupid. I think trademe needs to change how the feedback system works but I really think they don't care as long as they get money.

Patrick
7th September 2005, 11:57
My suggestion is to simply take it on the chin, and explain the situation in the feedback response notes. Be calm and polite about it, but explain why you think you're in the right.

Email Trademe about the situationa nd see if they can (or are willing to...) do anything about it.

Anyone with 1/2 a brain is going to see the way that story unfolded.

Adds a whole new dimension to buyer beware though... like "seller beware".

Good luck chap
MDU

Good call...if bad feedback is posted against you, you can reply after it to explain the real situation. Makes them look real stupid when every one else thinks the sun shines out your....

crshbndct
7th September 2005, 11:57
i have 1 negative feedback becasue some bitch bought something off me, didnt put money in, i emailed her nmerous times, never heard an answer, so i left it, figuring that the 0.45c fees was not worth arguing over.

i emailed her a couple of weeks ago and asked if she still wanted whatever it was, cant remember, and voila! bad feed back.

trademe's feed back system is a piece of shit

crshbndct
7th September 2005, 11:59
Good call...if bad feedback is posted against you, you can reply after it to explain the real situation. Makes them look real stupid when every one else thinks the sun shines out your....

but it still looks bad on your feedback.

there are some people who go around paosting bad feedback just to get free stuff. because honest traders will often send an item free just to get feed back reversed, if it is under a $10 item

Pathos
7th September 2005, 12:09
The problem is not the feedback system, it can't be improved without reducing the rights of traders to provide their opinions.

The problem is peoples conception of feedback being . I say take the hit. Many traders will probably start doing the same and buyers will begin to realise that the bad feedback is not true.

These cheats are not being weeded out because everyone is hiding them by giving into their demands. If no one gave in then they would be loaded with bad feedback and no one would trade with them.

kerryg
7th September 2005, 12:32
I say take the hit. Many traders will probably start doing the same and buyers will begin to realise that the bad feedback is not true.

These cheats are not being weeded out because everyone is hiding them by giving into their demands. If no one gave in then they would be loaded with bad feedback and no one would trade with them.

Yes, you're probably right. I've got over 170 positive feedbacks (and 1 negative and 1 neutral, both of which were unjustified) so I think I'll let my reputation speak for itself from now on. What's that saying about wickedness onlythriving when a good man does nothing...or summat???

kerryg
7th September 2005, 12:34
the guy must be retarded if he thinks these sort of deals are money-back if not satisfied.

I'm thinking he's mis-shapen too

ManDownUnder
7th September 2005, 13:53
Just lost $83 on trade me. wife saw a pilates something or rather and promptly won auction. Put money in account.. 2 months later no goods. Many many emails later. no goods, one email returned saying that the post ofice still had the product at her end.. now posted... Tui Ad.... still no goods. Biatch

What's the email address - a yahoo or hotmail one?

If not I think we should all have turns sending them a message... daily...

MSTRS
7th September 2005, 13:58
Just lost $83 on trade me. wife saw a pilates something or rather and promptly won auction. Put money in account.. 2 months later no goods. Many many emails later. no goods, one email returned saying that the post ofice still had the product at her end.. now posted... Tui Ad.... still no goods. Biatch
Yeah, some tladers just lotten pilates eh?

mattt
7th September 2005, 14:01

If your mrs put money to an account, the police will track it. Piece of piss. Trademe have people employed specificly to deal with the cops.

riffer
7th September 2005, 16:28
I know how you feel.

I felt it neccesary a couple of weeks ago to place my very first ever bad feedback after being with trademe since 1991.

On this auction (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=33375024), if you are interested.

Still - four years, 175 trades. I'm still ahead.

ManDownUnder
7th September 2005, 16:45
I know how you feel.

I felt it neccesary a couple of weeks ago to place my very first ever bad feedback after being with trademe since 1991.

On this auction (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=33375024), if you are interested.

Still - four years, 175 trades. I'm still ahead.

Love the guy's comment
"Sorry it's not mine... Someone else was using this account to place that ad. Not my fault."

So if we all sent him copies of large binary files it could be a case of "Someone else did it, so it's not my fault"?

hmmmm... LOL

branco
7th September 2005, 17:03
Don't back down on the jacket size issue. When i buy/sell with someone i check out their feedback but when you have got 170 good ones that fine with me.Don't let low lifes get to you.

Phurrball
7th September 2005, 17:17
Aye,

there are some strange people out there on trademe allright. When we purchased the Bandit through Trademe, a phantom bidder popped out of nowhere with a HUGE autobid. They did this on two other auctions at the same time. Farking scumbag! No intention of completing the purchase. Luckily, the seller was really good, and we still got the Bandit by being the highest legitimate bidders! Hurrah!

I ALWAYS read the feedbeck of people I trade with. Can tell if a negative feedback is justified usually - pays to read the responses too if any...I won't trade with even slightly dodgy traders...

Zed
7th September 2005, 17:24
Probably like most members here I use TradeMe a bit (actually quite a bit) to buy and sell odds and ends. Have done so for 2 or 3 years and have close to 200 trades now.I've traded on there for a few years now, only have (36) feedback but they're all positive and I value each and every one of them as my reputation - which it is. Sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it, I figure you would have done well to refund the jacket though...thankfully I havn't had any bad experiences whatsoever, but my family & friends have and they feel the same way as you! :brick:

The only people who can change this are TradeMe, but without litigation it is too difficult for them (and expensive, time consuming) to make the judgment call a lot of times, so the rules are the way they currently are I guess. The only thing you can do is voice an opinion to them through a letter/email and hope they hear your case and bend or change the current feedback policy. It would certainly be great if they, like our KB admins/mods, made specific changes/deletions for individual members when requested nicely. :clap:

Zed
7th September 2005, 17:32
I know how you feel.

Still - four years, 175 trades. I'm still ahead.You've been on TM for ages Simon, wasn't aware it was that old!

Hey that twit "claimh_solais (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/show_member_listings.asp?member=865916)" said some harsh words! :bash:

riffer
7th September 2005, 19:30
You've been on TM for ages Simon, wasn't aware it was that old!

Hey that twit "claimh_solais (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/show_member_listings.asp?member=865916)" said some harsh words! :bash:

D'oh! brain-fart - I meant 2001..

Patrick
7th September 2005, 23:36
but it still looks bad on your feedback.

there are some people who go around paosting bad feedback just to get free stuff. because honest traders will often send an item free just to get feed back reversed, if it is under a $10 item

Still, you have a right of reply...give your version and let the punters take what they will from it...