PDA

View Full Version : Sena 20S

veldthui
2nd July 2014, 09:55
Got my new Sena 20S in the post yesterday but not a good start with it.

Firstly no iPhone app as yet. Still tied up in the Apple store and seems to have been for two weeks now. Their system sucks.
Second no device manager. Click on the link on their site and it takes you to the device manager but after install the device is not recognised no matter which USB port or computer. Turns out they have not updated the manager to handle the 20S even though they released it.
Third voice commands do not work at all. Just sits there flashing a green light. Supposedly there is a new firmware update that fixes this but you can't install the update without the device manager. Catch 22.

Unit itself looks nice and speakers outside the helmet don't sound too bad. Will put it in the helmet this weekend and see how they are. Paired very easliy with my iPhone 4S and said there was an iPhone app available for the headset but when clicking the button take me too it there was nothing. Will pair it with my Garmin Zumo 390LM as well and should have the best of both worlds and can then listen to music off my iPhone.

Remembering all the different actions to get to things is taking a bit as it just has the jog dial and a phone button to control everything. Really need the software as cannot set radio frequencies through the headset unless you get to the one you want which is hard.

Have not tried out the intercom as yet.

Comes with 3 mics so should suit all different types of helmets.

Once they fix the 3 issues I have I think it will be a really nice headset. Hopefully the speaker sound is nice as well. I know my Nolan N103 had awesome sound quality, my current Scala G9 sound sucks although the automatic scaling is nice. Even if the sound is not good you can use your own buds in the Sena if needed.

veldthui
3rd July 2014, 05:33
So got home and found a reply back to my ticket about the device manager not working asking if I had tried the new software that had been uploaded a few hours before. Downloaded it and the device manager recognised my 20S. It also told me a firmware update was available which had also been released just a few hours before this. Downloaded and installed this with no issue and the 20S turned itself off and back on.
Checked on the settings and could now set up the radio stations and set the other available settings. Next was to test out the voice control.

Unplugged it from the PC and attached it back onto the unit and fired it up. Re-Paired it to my cellphone after the upgrade as recommended. Tapped the unit and it asked me to say a command. I told it "Music" and my iPhone started playing stereo music to the unit. Yeah the voice control was now working as well. Put the speakers close to my ears such as like they would be in the helmet and sound was pretty good.
Tried the FM radio and only got static but we are in a weak signal area and I only got static.

On the weekend I shall mount it into my helmet which looks to be simple to do and see what it sounds like there. If the weather is okay will take it for a spin and see how the voice commands work with a bit of wind noise.

I purchased the single unit and it came with 3 different types of mics, a ciggarette lighter style charger, a USB cable, a 2.5 - 3.5mm cable, 4 mic sponges, a mount with 3M double sided tape for mounting on the side of the helmet if you can use the clamp, and various rubber pads.

Only thing which looks a bit iffy is the USB connector cover. This is a rubber boot and it does not seem to fit in very tight. While you can't lose it there may be an issue with it coming open while riding and if raining the water may get in to the connector. Will have to see what happens.

Still waiting on Apple to release the app from validation. The app for samsungs and such has been out for a while now.