PDA

View Full Version : Lego trends

awa355
8th July 2014, 21:52
My 8yr old grandson has been staying for a few days. Being autistic, he seems to relate to computers better than people. He is currently hooked on Lego. We rented the latest lego movie for him over the weekend, and he's found lots of lego games etc on you tube. He asked me to download a few for him. I stopped after the first one. The graphics are well done but the themes are all about violence, shooting, fighting, blowing up, destroying buildings etc.

I used to think lego was a modern version of meccano where kids built things. The lego sets in the toy shops are about creating things, but most of the online stuff isn't. I downloaded a junior lego game app onto the tablet which is simple fun for the 3 yr old grand daughter. Everything else seems to be super heros and action scenes.

Has anyone else found this? or knows of lego ( or similar ) games that are better suited to young children?

Have found some junior games to download. Even I can play them:niceone:

AllanB
8th July 2014, 22:18
Buy the blocks. My son has spent many many years and hours building cool things with Lego. Alas turning soon the almight electronic devices such as tablets, i-pods and play stations have taken over :facepalm: The blocks can be expensive but at 8 well worth buying to expand his mind.

Farking electronics - a constant battle now, and yes, my fault as I have purchased most of them.

I may as well Trademe the lego - sad. Be fucked if he spends the earnings on game though

Tazz
8th July 2014, 23:39
Get him some of the blocks (we had Torro as well as lego which was cooler for building structures and a bit softer on the hands and feet when trod on haha) and if he's up to it the vehicles and electrics kits are pretty cool. I got my bro an electric digger thing when he was about 9 which he turned into all sorts of stuff that had nothing to do with diggers :laugh: It's a bit spendy though.

And plenty of the Lego in the shops has changed as well, not just the net. City is one of the themes again at the minute but they've had these Aztec type fighting things and all sorts in the last decade.

Urano
9th July 2014, 05:26
he seems to relate to computers better than people.

who doesn't? :confused:

Buy the blocks.

+1
best game ever for kids.

willytheekid
9th July 2014, 07:28
He Likes lego & computers?

...combine both then ;)

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Toys/LEGO-Technic-42006-Excavator-UK-Toys/5702014974210

http://media.iqtoys.co.nz/images/original/4339cb2052b3e57bb65f0c1457a57748.jpg

These advanced lego sets are great for adults and kids who like to super creative....motorized lego!:drool:(And you can get programmable moduals now for running automated commands...possibilities are nearly limitless!)

bogan
9th July 2014, 07:54
I may as well Trademe the lego - sad. Be fucked if he spends the earnings on game though

I think Willy's idea is better...

Will endevour to keep the legos 'on tap' for de_nephew; shit makes you smart.

Perhaps give him wee challenges, make this thingo then you can play spacies. Some spacies are fairly edumacational too, like Kerbal Space program...

BuzzardNZ
9th July 2014, 08:48
I still have some old meccano ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meccano ) sets stored about somewhere. Damn that stuff was fun to play with when I was a nipper.

mashman
9th July 2014, 08:56
My 8yr old grandson has been staying for a few days. Being autistic, he seems to relate to computers better than people. He is currently hooked on Lego. We rented the latest lego movie for him over the weekend, and he's found lots of lego games etc on you tube. He asked me to download a few for him. I stopped after the first one. The graphics are well done but the themes are all about violence, shooting, fighting, blowing up, destroying buildings etc.

I used to think lego was a modern version of meccano where kids built things. The lego sets in the toy shops are about creating things, but most of the online stuff isn't. I downloaded a junior lego game app onto the tablet which is simple fun for the 3 yr old grand daughter. Everything else seems to be super heros and action scenes.

Has anyone else found this? or knows of lego ( or similar ) games that are better suited to young children?

Have found some junior games to download. Even I can play them:niceone:

Me old man used to take stills of what he built with lego and turned it into a movie... great stuff, but meccano entered my life and lego was never the same again. Make movies :D

http://www.3dchalkguy.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/LEGO_SHEEP_2006_12_09.jpg.w300h225.jpg

SMOKEU
9th July 2014, 08:59
Not Lego, but close enough! There's nothing wrong with a pretend meth lab for kids, might as well teach them a useful form of chemistry from a young age.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--4ubgVawO--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18wu2000saxibjpg.jpg

http://lego.gizmodo.com/finally-a-breaking-bad-lego-set-that-you-can-actually-1115406010

haydes55
9th July 2014, 09:50
Get him minecraft, I think I paid $5 for it a few years back, countless hours building stuff, the only violence is killing block zombies skeletons and creepers, but it's harmless and you can turn them off.

I've built a sky tower, an under water glass walkway to a floating castle and a roller coaster.

It is literally computer Lego. Free reign for creativity.

willytheekid
9th July 2014, 10:10
I think Willy's idea is better....

http://vuing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/pet-photography-humorous-hilarious-funny-dog-pictures-3.jpg
Nope!...goggles off, sorry for the alarm!...but that statements usually followed by an explosion of kind :laugh:

Akzle
9th July 2014, 10:50
im not sure if youve noticed, but violence and shooting people is how adults solve their problems and share freedom.

As for lego, my nephoo is into it, my girls a bit too. All the new shit is boring as fuck. Gone are 6x2 blocks, and a choice of 4 yellow faces, now every piece leaves nothing to the imaginarium. Thankfully, being a really big kid, ive got all my old shit.
As for computer games, doom2.

Akzle
9th July 2014, 10:54
oh yeah. Arduino, or lego mindstorms (fightn robots) are computer geeky.
But srsly, get him a shotgun.

buggerit
9th July 2014, 11:18
Jaycar have a heap of gizmo kits for little and big kids(grandads) ranging from $20 up, check out online or 92 Commerce St in the tron and
grab a catalogue.
Or u could just teach him to wheelie the scoot:whistle:

Hoon
9th July 2014, 11:28

Minecraft and/or blockheads. My daughter also loves watching stampylonghead youtube videos of minecraft.

Akzle
9th July 2014, 12:19
Jaycar have a heap of gizmo kits for little and big kids(grandads) ranging from $20 up, check out online or 92 Commerce St in the tron and
grab a catalogue.
Or u could just teach him to wheelie the scoot:whistle:

watch out unless your handy with a soldering iron, them fuken chinese kids cant solder for shit. Loose wires and battery terminals falling off are a buzzkill.

gjm
9th July 2014, 22:39
Lego is superb - buy that. Forget the films - it's just TV.

The Mindstorms stuff is excellent, but even back in the old (very old?) days when the technics sets first came out, there were designs that used motors and a Lego equivalent of punched paper tape to 'program' devices.

I still have my Lego. :o It keeps me young.

nzspokes
9th July 2014, 22:55
problem with Lego these days is you buy a kit to make a plane/car what ever. So the bits stay in separate boxes.

I still have my Lego from when I was young. My boy doesnt play with it because there is no instructions to follow.

bogan
10th July 2014, 07:24
problem with Lego these days is you buy a kit to make a plane/car what ever. So the bits stay in separate boxes.

Only if you have no imagination, all the best bits come from those kits, and you can mix em up to build many other things after you build the first thing.

R650R
10th July 2014, 08:44
Remember being a kid of the late 70's we had Action figures, tanks etc plenty of violence lol long before custom lego sets.
Then there was fullscale wargames in the playground at school before the PC brigade existed, 2x2 fence batton posts for guns. Always ended in blood and tears one way or another but we all lived and were better for it lol

http://www.midlandmemorabilia.co.uk/images/action_man_amoured_tank.JPG

F5 Dave
10th July 2014, 20:50
Try download Toca apps(Toca band, Toca doctor etc) they are pretty good for kids esp on spectrum, also heaps of other games like Pirate school and so forth. Talking Larry or Ben is good esp if they are struggling verbally.