PDA

View Full Version : Low battery voltage

SMOKEU
9th July 2014, 20:14
Due to an unfortunate electrical issue that resulted in my GSXR600 being put on a tow truck, the (lead acid) battery is at 11.8V. Someone borrowed my charger without my permission, so is the battery going to become fucked from that low voltage if it's not charged ASAP?

awayatc
9th July 2014, 20:18
if a battery remains uncharged for any length of time it will become F**ked.

How long is a bit of a gamble....

Can give you the full explanation if you wish....

BuzzardNZ
9th July 2014, 20:31
short answer, yes, it's rooted.

Akzle
9th July 2014, 21:23
fuck, so some nigger has jewed the fuck out of your shit...

Crank amps is the number that matters. Make sure you have some.

imdying
10th July 2014, 10:26
At 11.8v it is already poked, it's missing nearly 2 volts. Why so low?

SMOKEU
10th July 2014, 10:47
At 11.8v it is already poked, it's missing nearly 2 volts. Why so low?

I went for a ride and the same thing happened as when the alternator dies on a car. The gauges stopped working, then the lights and indicators, then finally the engine ran rough and quit on me. I'm guessing either the regulator rectifier, or the alternator has shat itself.

neels
10th July 2014, 11:15
At 11.8V in theory it's only a bit below 50% discharged, so it shouldn't be on it's way to an early demise being left for a bit, bike electronics tend to shut down before the battery is completely flat.

I'd be tracking down my battery charger sooner rather than later though, bike batteries are fussy little buggers that seem to be looking for any excuse to lie down and die.

If you can't find your charger I've got one you can borrow for a bit.

Akzle
10th July 2014, 11:24
I went for a ride and the same thing happened as when the alternator dies on a car. The gauges stopped working, then the lights and indicators, then finally the engine ran rough and quit on me. I'm guessing either the regulator rectifier, or the alternator has shat itself.

an alternator? Wtf are you riding?
Stator coils homie.

Charge the fuck out of the cunt, then test that shit.

p.dath
10th July 2014, 11:52
Due to an unfortunate electrical issue that resulted in my GSXR600 being put on a tow truck, the (lead acid) battery is at 11.8V. Someone borrowed my charger without my permission, so is the battery going to become fucked from that low voltage if it's not charged ASAP?

How old is the battery?

Edbear
10th July 2014, 12:49
I'd be inclined to pop it on charge ASAP and test it. Never say die until dead. :calm:

SMOKEU
10th July 2014, 16:54
At 11.8V in theory it's only a bit below 50% discharged, so it shouldn't be on it's way to an early demise being left for a bit, bike electronics tend to shut down before the battery is completely flat.

I'd be tracking down my battery charger sooner rather than later though, bike batteries are fussy little buggers that seem to be looking for any excuse to lie down and die.

If you can't find your charger I've got one you can borrow for a bit.

Thanks, I ended up tracking down a charger in the end.

an alternator? Wtf are you riding?
Stator coils homie.

Charge the fuck out of the cunt, then test that shit.

I'm not really sure what it's got!

How old is the battery?

About 9 months old since new. It's always been kept charged until now as the bike is regularly ridden.

I'd be inclined to pop it on charge ASAP and test it. Never say die until dead. :calm:

I've just taken it off the charger so it's charged up now.

p.dath
10th July 2014, 17:14
If it is only 9 months old, assuming it hasn't been flatted by an accessory on the bike, you may have a regulator/rectifier/stator on the way out.

slofox
11th July 2014, 08:28
About a year ago, I was told by an "expert" that a battery I had was fucked. I put it on the charger for a bit and it has performed without fault ever since.

So I'd try that and see. As has already been said, it ain't dead until it's dead.

bogan
11th July 2014, 08:34
If it is only 9 months old, assuming it hasn't been flatted by an accessory on the bike, you may have a regulator/rectifier/stator on the way out.

+1

http://www.offwidth.co.uk/bike/general/electrical_fault_finding.pdf

10 bung multimeter and a few iq points should see you right smokey...

Dave-
12th July 2014, 11:50
Lead acid or GEL?

pritch
16th July 2014, 13:57
Lead acid or GEL?

May I respectfully refer you to the first sentence of the OP?

Dave-
16th July 2014, 19:03
May I respectfully refer you to the first sentence of the OP?

Many people refer to lead-acid as GEL and visa-versa.

Is it a Motobatt?

R650R
12th August 2014, 21:01

Sounds right, I can look up the stator winding readings if you like in Haynes manual in morning.
I had a completely cooked battery on 750 and everything else was fine apart from random non starts. Had what you described on a truck once, the alternator brushes had worn away to nothing.

SMOKEU
18th August 2014, 16:29
It's a Motobatt battery. I might just take it to a mechanic to get it fixed and sell it quickly while it's still going before the next thing fucks out.

OllyMoto
25th August 2014, 20:47
It's a Motobatt battery. I might just take it to a mechanic to get it fixed and sell it quickly while it's still going before the next thing fucks out.

Hey if you are in Chch area PM me and i can pop out and have a look for you for a donation.

SMOKEU
29th August 2014, 07:11
Hey if you are in Chch area PM me and i can pop out and have a look for you for a donation.

I might do that actually, cheers.

drift77nz
31st August 2014, 10:09
What Battery Voltage do you have with the bike running?