View Full Version : A bit of reading on the good oil

george formby
18th July 2014, 22:10
Just stumbled on this info.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php

Which led me to this info.

http://www.sportrider.com/oils-well-ends-well-part-1

http://www.sportrider.com/oils-well-ends-well-part-2

No doubt a repost. But if I didn't see it, it didn't happen.

unstuck
19th July 2014, 07:18
Lubricity, now theres a word you don't hear everyday. :niceone:

george formby
19th July 2014, 09:29
Lubricity, now theres a word you don't hear everyday. :niceone:

Your mission today, should you choose to accept it, is to use that word in a spoken sentence.

buggerit
19th July 2014, 10:49
Your mission today, should you choose to accept it, is to use that word in a spoken sentence.
To make it more fun, you could involve the wife:blip:

unstuck
19th July 2014, 11:08
To make it more fun, you could involve the wife:blip:

Oh I plan to, dont worry about that.:msn-wink:

Flip
20th July 2014, 09:19
The one item that they did not mention was what S(n) means. (n) being the service rating of the oils. I mention this because oils after SG have been designed with low metals for use in vehicles with cats where the metals polute the cats. The metals are part of the anti-friction and detergent packages.

I suppose the advice is change it often as oils are cheap.

I use Mobil 1 V2 in the Harley. Mobil 1 car oil in the Lotus. Everything else; BMW, Landy, MG, Suzuki, Austin 7 gets Valvoline 20W40 mixed fleet diesel/petrol oil.

unstuck
20th July 2014, 09:30

Mission accomplished.:blip::blip:

kiwi cowboy
20th July 2014, 13:33
Mission accomplished.:blip::blip:

video or it never happened:facepalm:

unstuck
20th July 2014, 13:40
video or it never happened:facepalm:

You fuckin pervert. :shit:

Was dark, and I forgot to take the lens cap off.:bleh:

george formby
20th July 2014, 15:14

Is this you?

http://minyassa.deviantart.com/art/Awar-the-Angel-of-Lubricity-372706310

unstuck
20th July 2014, 15:25
Is this you?

Nope, no mohawk.:Punk::Punk:

kiwi cowboy
20th July 2014, 16:08

Be honest. It was in the woolshed with Marrrrrrrrrtha:bash::bash:

unstuck
20th July 2014, 16:15
Be honest. It was in the woolshed with Marrrrrrrrrtha:bash::bash:

Fuck off, not going anywhere near your leftovers. :bleh:

george formby
20th July 2014, 16:27
Fuck off, not going anywhere near your lubricious leftovers. :bleh:

That's betterer

caspernz
20th July 2014, 16:55
Now I'm confused fellas...for I always thought lubricity was a term that should be on the side of alcoholic drinks...:innocent:

george formby
20th July 2014, 17:10
Now I'm confused fellas...for I always thought lubricity was a term that should be on the side of alcoholic drinks...:innocent:

That's to describe the effect alcohol has on social intercourse.

caspernz
20th July 2014, 17:27
That's to describe the effect alcohol has on social intercourse.

Is that a fancy way of saying "how to help ones date into my part of the gutter" then is it? :drool:

george formby
20th July 2014, 17:35
Is that a fancy way of saying "how to help ones date into my part of the gutter" then is it? :drool:

If by date you mean a chicky babe then yeah, it's a good start to getting their knickers off.

If your using "date" to describe the "rusty sheriffs badge" then your a very twisted man.:shit:

And here's me, in my naivety, thinking some useful links on oil might come in handy for somebody.:laugh:

kiwi cowboy
20th July 2014, 18:52
Nope, no mohawk.:Punk::Punk:

Hhahahaha ya lieing coont, that is you but don't be afraid to say so cos we understand cos you are from gore:innocent::innocent::wacko:

caspernz
20th July 2014, 19:08
If by date you mean a chicky babe then yeah, it's a good start to getting their knickers off.

If your using "date" to describe the "rusty sheriffs badge" then your a very twisted man.:shit:

And here's me, in my naivety, thinking some useful links on oil might come in handy for somebody.:laugh:

That's enough sexual innuendo for one night...come in handy...oh please! :facepalm:

But yep fair enough on the oil links. Old stuff but interesting all the same. Ride more and worry less is what some folks can't seem to get :shutup:

As an aside, after 25 or so years in trucking and religious oil changes on trucks in the early days, the current rig I'm piloting runs to 60,000 kms between oil changes. At first I was rather alarmed at this, but hey, we just do a couple of top ups and it runs like a rocket. Fancy manufacturer specified synthetic oil of course.

On my bike I've just kept to the standard oil change intervals, filter each time and onto synthetic at second change :wings:

george formby
20th July 2014, 22:34
It was that hound unstuck who felled my good intentions.
Just posted coz JASO MA was news to me.

Banter is good.:yes:

AllanB
20th July 2014, 22:42
As an aside, after 25 or so years in trucking and religious oil changes on trucks in the early days, the current rig I'm piloting runs to 60,000 kms between oil changes. At first I was rather alarmed at this, but hey, we just do a couple of top ups and it runs like a rocket. Fancy manufacturer specified synthetic oil of course.

The big rigs hold a shit load of oil and run it through multiple filters. Interesting reading on some of them.

unstuck
21st July 2014, 06:14
It was that hound unstuck who felled my good intentions.
Just posted coz JASO MA was news to me.

Banter is good.:yes:

I tree what you did there.:whistle:

Flip
21st July 2014, 18:18
The big rigs hold a shit load of oil and run it through multiple filters. Interesting reading on some of them.

I had to fix up a fishing boat motor a year ago when the owner believed his "special sic" sub/micron particle oil filter would recondition his motor oil. He got a $75k bill when his oil became so acidic the entire bottom end of his motor was dissolved.

The oil was so acidic there was polermised hydrocarbon solids floating around in his crankcase. From memory the TBN was 14 times higher than the motor manuifacturers max.

If you are going to push out the oil change adopt a propper used oil analysis program.