PDA

View Full Version : Best 18" tyres for a bucket

dangerous
8th September 2005, 14:59
Right a rubber thread, at least it isent oil.... or petrol prices :violin:

Ok so my latest bucket is a .... well I dont know what it is (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=16650) actually now but we will call it a MTgp.
It has 18" wire wheels on it I cant render the cost of spoking up 17"rims to the hubs so I think I'll leave it as is.... besides pipe might touch down if I go to 17's

What in your view is the best tyres to get..... the rear rim is a DID 18 x 2.15 (wide) the frount a narrow cheapie..... give me the answer people :spudflip:

stanko
8th September 2005, 16:08
do you want a race tyre or a good road tyre. BT45 bridgestone, or GT501 dunlop Ive gotthem on my LC they are ok (bt45's). Not quite the big range of choices you get with 17"

bungbung
8th September 2005, 16:12
The free kind?

1. Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.

wtf?

bums

White trash
8th September 2005, 16:37
Yokohama used to do the micky rubber in skinny 18 inch sizes. I think there's still some Dunlops available. Call a Dunlop stockist and get them to check it out.

dangerous
8th September 2005, 16:51
do you want a race tyre or a good road tyre. BT45 bridgestone, or GT501 dunlop Ive gotthem on my LC they are ok (bt45's). Not quite the big range of choices you get with 17"
ummm how do you mean race? slicks??? as far as I know you cant get them in 18" but if you dont mean slicks then year the stickiest possible tyre for racing. :ride:

stanko
8th September 2005, 17:21
Have you rung Don at Cycletreads? I meant if you wanted slicks I dont know anything about them , BT45 and gt501s I have used and think they should be alright. Smallest fronts I could find were 100/90-18 (GT501's) 100/80-18 (bt45's) smallest rear 110/80-18 (GT501's)

TonyB
8th September 2005, 18:28
I second that. Ring Don. No such thing as an 18" slick now. The ones that are still lurking in sheds are veeeeeeeeeery old. Can cause problems.

Don recommended something to me- sounded like crap but they are supposed to be sticky $56

Kickaha
8th September 2005, 19:04
Cheng Shin do a 18 tyre which is the best one to use ask Diesel pig what one it is

dangerous
8th September 2005, 19:41
Cheng Shin do a 18 tyre which is the best one to use ask Diesel pig what one it is
Cheng Shin....... thers just something about that name that dosent sound right, but if it keeps my arse of the pavement then that will be fine.

speedpro
8th September 2005, 21:59
Cheng Shin....... thers just something about that name that dosent sound right, but if it keeps my arse of the pavement then that will be fine.
I was very impressed with a South Islander on a small Ching Shin, it was something like a 519 and cost about $35. If you can find them I think Dunlop TT900GPs (sticky version) are the go. Bit pricier than the Cheng Shins though.

gav
9th September 2005, 19:00
Not sure if available here but Pirelli list a MT75 in a 90/90 x 18 which could be ok.
http://www.pirellimoto.com/en_96/tires/template_categorie.jhtml?catid=96STCOM&productid=16899
or these Michelins!
http://totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Michelin-PilotSporty.htm

FROSTY
10th September 2005, 11:02
theres a product you can buy through Kart shops that brings old slick back to life. Dunno exactly how it works but I used it on my old XL125 based bucket and I had no tyre grip issues all day

gav
10th September 2005, 22:13
theres a product you can buy through Kart shops that brings old slick back to life. Dunno exactly how it works but I used it on my old XL125 based bucket and I had no tyre grip issues all day
I think the no tyre grip issue is what he's trying to avoid! :motu:

thealmightytaco
16th September 2005, 20:46

Yeah I remember that stuff from my old karting days. As the tyres got older, getting hot then cold, hot, cold... they'd harden, and the magic juice would soften them up again. I don't understand the chemistry of it but I can vouch for it workin'. Probably to do with just increasing the oil level in the rubber, turning the solid a bit more gooey etc. Was about $15 for 500ml or something.

But it aint no good if the tyre was schlock to begin with, or if there's no tread or depth holes left and there's bits of ply pokin' out.

Kickaha
16th September 2005, 20:48
They just call it "dope" you used to paint it on then wrap the tyres in gladwrap to stop it evaporating off

speights_bud
16th September 2005, 21:29
I was very impressed with a South Islander on a small Ching Shin, it was something like a 519 and cost about $35. If you can find them I think Dunlop TT900GPs (sticky version) are the go. Bit pricier than the Cheng Shins though.
I'm currently runnung cheng shins. (up here in Napier) A 17x2.5 on the front and a 18x2.75 on the back. The front one only cost $34 and hasn't let me down yet. But i would suggest out on a decent track (like the wellington guys have) that finding some really sticky rubber would be a good idea.

froggyfrenchman
16th September 2005, 21:33
I'm currently runnung cheng shins. (up here in Napier) A 17x2.5 on the front and a 18x2.75 on the back. The front one only cost $34 and hasn't let me down yet. But i would suggest out on a decent track (like the wellington guys have) that finding some really sticky rubber would be a good idea.

Thats a good point bud. Nothing personal, but as a word of warning... never run a cheen shin on the road. I think its taiwaneese for "hahaha this'll fuck them!" On the road they just dont stick at all

Skunk
16th September 2005, 23:48
I've got Vee Rubber's on mine. I didn't fall off either. Both are 2.75s

speights_bud
21st September 2005, 20:44
Yep well i'm still a getting money togeather for a road legal bike, so no chen shin's on the road yet. But i fitted the front tyre off that frame you gave me to the rear rim of the a100 so i'll be seeing how that goes next practise day. She looking a little bit tidier nowdays. Next step will be engine mod's i think, if i can spare the time and money...