PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 L3

Hitcher
24th July 2014, 18:29
Today marked another first in my experience of riding motorcycles: I rode a Suzuki with great brakes and 21st century electronics. I also reacquainted myself with my love of v-twins.

Let’s talk about this particular v-twin. It’s a 1,037cc, 90-degree mill, churning out a bit more than 90 brake horsepower but with great torque peaking at a whisker under 4,000rpm. It has nothing at all in common with the v-twin that was bolted into the previous V-Strom, which is good news because, while reliable and willing, that old engine really didn’t deliver anything special. The new 1,037 is responsive, smooth and luggy. It doesn’t mind getting revved but with such a huge mid-range, there’s really little need to wring its neck.

A comprehensive model change isn’t surprising. Given the massive rise in popularity of “adventure” bikes, Suzuki would have had few options other than to quit this sector entirely or try to keep up. They’ve gone for the latter plan, and done a creditable job too. This shows in the RRP for the new Big Strom, at $5 shy of $20,000. That’s Triumph Tiger Sport territory, and one where Suzuki may struggle, as the Tiger is only $2,000 more, better finished and arguably prettier.

Perception is, after all, reality. This is a shame as the new Big Strom is hard to fault. Here are a few comments I’d make after about 100km saddle time. Let’s start with the negatives, because it’s the shorter list:

Helmet wind chatter. As a rider of naked bikes I really noticed that. I learned once I returned the Strom that its screen is adjustable. I really should take it out again and see if the other two screen positions are any better.
The bars are a bit high. Well for my taste. Perhaps after a few more hours of continuous riding I may get used to them.
The throttle’s a bit snatchy off the idle. No ride-by-wire here. But it didn’t take that long to get used to this – about three sets of traffic lights – but it’s a fault that Suzuki’s engineers should have been able to engineer away.
It’s too quiet. V-twins deserve to be heard. The stock muffler is ruthlessly efficient at suppressing engine noise.

And now for the positives, starting with the ones that are rarely found on Suzukis:

The brakes work. Really well. And they’re ABS. I liked them.
The suspension is better than adequate. I particularly enjoyed the rear set-up – which has a big easy-to-reach wind-up knob to alter the pre-load. The front was OK but got a bit busy on rough corners. There are adjustment knobs on the front shocks, so some meaningful finessing may be possible.
There’s a bunch of useful electronics. Including a fuel computer, ambient air temperature display, engine temperature, and the ability to read the clock AND the trip meter at the same time. The key also has an immobiliser chip fitted. There’s even a Mode switch for the traction control system.
Headlight beam is changed with a forefinger-operated switch. I had a similar system on my Aprilia Shiver and loved it. It’s a way better system than the traditional rocker switch, particularly if one happens to be wearing bulky waterproof overgloves.
The ergonomics are great for taller riders. Everything seems to fall nicely to the rider’s hands and feet. It’s a bit tippy toe stopping and starting though.
Fuelling is superb. Which makes the off-idle snatchiness even more noticeable.
Off-the-line performance. The boy racer in the tricked up Prelude couldn’t burn off the V-Strom, much to his annoyance.
The gearbox. Just perfect. It’s a Suzuki. Enough said.

Some other features that I didn’t get a chance to test:

Traction control. I guess the Suzuki’s competition has got this feature but most of those machines are churning out a bit more than 91 brake horsepower. I struggled to see the point of this, left it off and didn’t feel anything untoward happening, even in the wet. There’s a large orange light that appears on the dash panel when the traction control is turned off. Perhaps that’s to indicate some danger in riding with no traction control.
Pillion seat. It looks OK. Grab handles are large and well positioned and there is heaps of legroom.
The headlight. My ride was during daylight hours. Unlike other newer adventure bike models, there are no LEDs in the headlight, but the tail-light assembly is an LED unit.

This new Big Strom could be a great touring bike. If its trip computer is to be believed it will run close to 400km on its 20 litre tank. The seat appears to be OK, although I wasn’t on it that long. If the screen can be adjusted to eliminate helmet wind chatter, then eating up the miles atop this machine would be no problem at all.

It handles fantastically well and the Battle Wing tyres didn’t mind getting pushed hard through some corners. My ride route was to the end of the Wainuiomata coast road, which will mean something to people familiar with this stretch of tar seal. For those not so fortunate, let’s say it’s a good technically demanding ride.

I really enjoyed my time on the new V-Strom 1,000 and encourage anybody interested in adventure bikes to take one for a spin.

Many thanks to Pete McDonald and Wellington Motorcycles for today’s ride.

Here are some photos:

Gremlin
24th July 2014, 19:05
Nice review Hitch.

Just on the screen, for naked bikes, it's pretty hard to get a stock screen that's going to be perfect. Very often it's too high or low, depends on rider preference and where the wind hits the helmet. Even on the GSA, which has a much taller screen than the base GS, it's still not tall enough and I have a deflector on the top to assist. It could be slightly taller, even an inch, but would mean a whole new screen which could look ridiculous.

Often in the USA they stick massive screens on, and it looks plain wrong, but, switching out the OEM screen for something more suitable is easily done and quite common.

James Deuce
24th July 2014, 19:08
By far the most attractive of the current crop of "Adventure" bikes.

Madness
24th July 2014, 19:13
It looks like Mr Suzuki has made an outstanding attempt at snatching the ugly muffler crown from Mr Kawasaki.

Trade_nancy
24th July 2014, 19:16
Yes it looks smart...except for that exhaust.

blackdog
24th July 2014, 20:29
It looks like Mr Suzuki has made an outstanding attempt at snatching the ugly muffler crown from Mr Kawasaki.

You've never seen a Predator then?

EJK
24th July 2014, 20:36
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaava here is a thread just for you.

AllanB
24th July 2014, 20:42
The bloody 'adventure' beak. Let it gooooooooo it is not necessary it has a mudguard FFS!

kevfromcoro
24th July 2014, 20:42
Had a 650 strom...
best bike I ever had,,, Great stuff

:niceone:

BigAl
24th July 2014, 20:50
Those headers look very vulnerable, smooth roads only?

What's it worth, 20k ?

Gremlin
24th July 2014, 22:10
The bloody 'adventure' beak. Let it gooooooooo it is not necessary it has a mudguard FFS!
Bikes aren't exactly pretty without it...

Laava
24th July 2014, 23:05
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaava here is a thread just for you.

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Good review Hitcher, you gonna buy one?
I have had mine for 2 weeks now and picked it up 2nd hand in Chch with 1900km showing. Then Rode it, two up, the long way home to the far north.
Some things I have a different perspective on, first of all regarding the engine. Riding my old K7 with 86,000km back to back I would say that the new motor is more powerful, but not significantly, and is more in the delivery. The new V has a very flat spread of power from around 2500rpm right up whereas the older one is not as smooth below 3000rpm and then has a bigger top end rush. My old bike had the TRE, PC111, K&N filter and free flow exhaust so as I say, the power difference was not massive. And the new motor with these mods may be quite different. The old V benefitted hugely from these mods re rideability whereas the new V probably doesn't need it. Also the older motor is WAY quieter! On the V Strom forums there is a lot of concern regarding engine noise but no actual failures. The whine caused by the gear driven cams is WAY louder than my old bike which may be an age thing. Also the gearbox shifting is a bit stiffer but again I expect this would change with age and my old V may well have been the same.
The gearbox ratios are way better or seem to be, maybe because of power delivery.
The brakes are THE biggest improvement and are great! Haven't experienced the ABS yet.
The handling is very similar to my old V which has been well used, well maintained and has the benefit of a fork brace. I have not fiddled with the front end settings yet but feel I need to. ditto the rear end. On my old V I wound the rear preload up full and the rebound. The front was not adjustable. To be honest, with the new V, I have no idea where to start at this stage re the front end.
The traction control is set to 1 cos if you turn it off you get the orange light of distraction! I did notice once when launching hard that the front wheel came up and then the power was cut and it dropped down very quickly.
This bike had a Givi Airflow screen which I am undecided about. I need to put the original one on to compare. It is a bit buffety but much worse in a crosswind. The adjustable tilt seemed to make no difference at speed.
I personally am happy with the bar position, again it is the same as my old bike. Interestingly on the V Strom site, a lot of the guys go to great length to fit risers and pull the bars back.
The seat is as good if not better as the old one and MamaJo says the same about the pillion seat.
The electronics are a welcome addition, esp the air temp.
Agree about the hi lo switch for the lights, it is a really good touch and means you don't have to let go your grip with a thumb to toggle up or down. Also, the lights are really good, surprisingly just as good as the old models twin light which were definitely above average.
I test rode the triumph tiger sport, ktm 1190 and Strom back to back and bought the V Strom. Partly because of having a great run with my outgoing bike.
Also, my new bike already had a topbox, heated grips and Givi airflow screen.

Yep! It looks like Gonzo!

kevfromcoro
25th July 2014, 03:03
just 1 thing,, how did you find the sidestand?

mine didn't go forward enough and bike could roll forward very easily

no big deal... fixed mine the trusty red spanner

EJK
25th July 2014, 05:45
Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Good review Hitcher, you gonna buy one?
I have had mine for 2 weeks now and picked it up 2nd hand in Chch with 1900km showing. Then Rode it, two up, the long way home to the far north.
Some things I have a different perspective on, first of all regarding the engine. Riding my old K7 with 86,000km back to back I would say that the new motor is more powerful, but not significantly, and is more in the delivery. The new V has a very flat spread of power from around 2500rpm right up whereas the older one is not as smooth below 3000rpm and then has a bigger top end rush. My old bike had the TRE, PC111, K&N filter and free flow exhaust so as I say, the power difference was not massive. And the new motor with these mods may be quite different. The old V benefitted hugely from these mods re rideability whereas the new V probably doesn't need it. Also the older motor is WAY quieter! On the V Strom forums there is a lot of concern regarding engine noise but no actual failures. The whine caused by the gear driven cams is WAY louder than my old bike which may be an age thing. Also the gearbox shifting is a bit stiffer but again I expect this would change with age and my old V may well have been the same.
The gearbox ratios are way better or seem to be, maybe because of power delivery.
The brakes are THE biggest improvement and are great! Haven't experienced the ABS yet.
The handling is very similar to my old V which has been well used, well maintained and has the benefit of a fork brace. I have not fiddled with the front end settings yet but feel I need to. ditto the rear end. On my old V I wound the rear preload up full and the rebound. The front was not adjustable. To be honest, with the new V, I have no idea where to start at this stage re the front end.
The traction control is set to 1 cos if you turn it off you get the orange light of distraction! I did notice once when launching hard that the front wheel came up and then the power was cut and it dropped down very quickly.
This bike had a Givi Airflow screen which I am undecided about. I need to put the original one on to compare. It is a bit buffety but much worse in a crosswind. The adjustable tilt seemed to make no difference at speed.
I personally am happy with the bar position, again it is the same as my old bike. Interestingly on the V Strom site, a lot of the guys go to great length to fit risers and pull the bars back.
The seat is as good if not better as the old one and MamaJo says the same about the pillion seat.
The electronics are a welcome addition, esp the air temp.
Agree about the hi lo switch for the lights, it is a really good touch and means you don't have to let go your grip with a thumb to toggle up or down. Also, the lights are really good, surprisingly just as good as the old models twin light which were definitely above average.
I test rode the triumph tiger sport, ktm 1190 and Strom back to back and bought the V Strom. Partly because of having a great run with my outgoing bike.
Also, my new bike already had a topbox, heated grips and Givi airflow screen.

Yep! It looks like Gonzo!

Looking good!! In black too!!

Laava
25th July 2014, 08:01
just 1 thing,, how did you find the sidestand?

mine didn't go forward enough and bike could roll forward very easily

no big deal... fixed mine the trusty red spanner

Very much the same as my old one except it looks like it is a lesser quality.

Looking good!! In black too!!

Yeah, I would have tken it in any colour. Thought about catching up when we were in ch town but just wasn't there long enough. Next time bro!

BuzzardNZ
25th July 2014, 08:10
Probably a good bike, but I just can't get over the beak and the exhaust :sick:

The saying 'has the face that only a mother could love' comes to mind.

willytheekid
25th July 2014, 08:55
:eek:Ohh shiny! :drool:

Great review Hitcher:niceone:

Laava
25th July 2014, 10:32

Probably no-one will steal it?
The muffler tho is easily fixed. Have my eye on a 2l stainless thermos that looks the right size and shape!:headbang::headbang:

Winston001
31st July 2014, 22:00
Forgive me if my memory is vague but $20,000 sounds like a lot of money for a Suzuki. Great machines but not in the European mold.

As best I can recall, Suzuki specialed the Vstrom 1000 with luggage at $13,000 a few years ago. Much as I am impressed with these bikes, I'd hold off for a bit.

Hitcher
31st July 2014, 22:38
Forgive me if my memory is vague but $20,000 sounds like a lot of money for a Suzuki. Great machines but not in the European mold.

As best I can recall, Suzuki specialed the Vstrom 1000 with luggage at $13,000 a few years ago. Much as I am impressed with these bikes, I'd hold off for a bit.

It's easy to see where the usual Suzuki bargain basement additions have been left off this new model: stock brakes and suspension that work, plus state-ish of the art-ish electronics.

Yet the new model will start getting pricier once luggage, heated handgrips, radguard, drop-bars, screen and fender extenders have been added. I suspect that the seat would also benefit greatly from a trip to Tauranga to see Mac McDonald. Add all that up and there's a few thousand more to add to the price tag, particularly if Givi Monokey luggage is chosen.

Ulsterkiwi
1st August 2014, 06:46
[LIST]
Helmet wind chatter. As a rider of naked bikes I really noticed that. I learned once I returned the Strom that its screen is adjustable. I really should take it out again and see if the other two screen positions are any better.

If the screen can be adjusted to eliminate helmet wind chatter, then eating up the miles atop this machine would be no problem at all.

According to the Laminarlip company, the older VStroms at least were the most challenging to provide a buffet free set up. At 1.98m I am always interested in comments about ride height and screen effectiveness.

Cheers Hitcher, great review.

banditrider
1st August 2014, 21:22
But what's it like on the gravel and worse?

Mo NZ
18th August 2014, 07:06

I think they got the whole exhaust system very wrong. Its too exposed, with that forward facing pipe behind the front wheel and the sensor all out there. That plumbing under the engine. Then that real low slung fugly muffler. The whole system is just wrong for anything but sealed roads. I would not consider taking that off the tar seal road at all.

James Deuce
18th August 2014, 09:32
ADV bikes like this are all about making road riders feel like they look cool while having a spacious, upright riding position. While I agree with your comments about fitness of purpose in regard to ADV riding, most BMW GS class bikes spend 99.99% of their time on the seal.

And that's fine. But owning and riding a comfy bike that looks like you could traverse the globe is just an update on owning a sports bike that looks like it could front up at a WSB round.

From my perspective all bikes are adventure bikes. I love them all, because "Bike!"

James Deuce
18th August 2014, 11:52
Only the rich would risk taking a $20k plus bike off road anyway. I thought people bought Harley type bikes if they just wanted to look cool.

Well, no actually. You have to be above a certain income threshold to afford bikes and their praphenalia and the extra costs attrbuted to them due to their perceived lack of "safety" and additional running costs vs the average car. $20k is probably the median for new bike prices now. People don't just buy Harley Davidson product for their "coolness". There's a lot more to owning any Harley Davidson than people think and it isn't mystical rubbish. It hard nosed economic value. Insurance is incredibly cheap through Harley Davidson's own scheme and so on.

Gremlin
18th August 2014, 12:11
Only the rich would risk taking a $20k plus bike off road anyway. I thought people bought Harley type bikes if they just wanted to look cool.
:laugh:

First up, I ain't rich. Second, bought the R1200GSA at about 35k. Perhaps your definition of off-road varies, so technically, it hasn't been off road. However, about 3.5 years on, I've done almost 90k and several of the awesome adventure roads (there's the technical thing there), Nevis, Skippers, Rainbow, Molesworth, Hakataramea, Danseys, Motu etc. To me, I buy something to use it, and it fulfils a purpose. It's got crash guards and scrapes on most of them as it's been down multiple times (including quick baths in rivers). Anyway, belief busted.

Harley isn't about being cool either. They're smarter than the average brand, so instead of selling bikes, they sell a lifestyle. Anyway, belief busted.

Laava
18th August 2014, 16:38
ADV bikes like this are all about making road riders feel like they look cool while having a spacious, upright riding position. "

What a load of crap.
I bought my first V strom cos I wanted a bike that was comfortable all day, two up, on rough roads, and would just go everytime without fuss.
Don't know if you have ever seen one, but no one bought a V Strom to look cool!

James Deuce
18th August 2014, 16:54
What a load of crap.
I bought my first V strom cos I wanted a bike that was comfortable all day, two up, on rough roads, and would just go everytime without fuss.
Don't know if you have ever seen one, but no one bought a V Strom to look cool!

Yes massa. Sorry massa. There are always exceptions to any "rule". But you cannot deny that ADV bikes have replaced sport bikes as that demographic has aged and required a less orthopedically suspect riding position.

banditrider
18th August 2014, 18:10
:laugh:

First up, I ain't rich. Second, bought the R1200GSA at about 35k. Perhaps your definition of off-road varies, so technically, it hasn't been off road. However, about 3.5 years on, I've done almost 90k and several of the awesome adventure roads (there's the technical thing there), Nevis, Skippers, Rainbow, Molesworth, Hakataramea, Danseys, Motu etc. To me, I buy something to use it, and it fulfils a purpose. It's got crash guards and scrapes on most of them as it's been down multiple times (including quick baths in rivers). Anyway, belief busted.

And I'd do the same. Done the 42nd yet? A certain DL in my shed has...definitely as gnarly as I wanna get....

nzspokes
18th August 2014, 18:15
And I'd do the same. Done the 42nd yet? A certain DL in my shed has...definitely as gnarly as I wanna get....

Im planning on doing it soon, he can come with me. :Punk:

Mo NZ
18th August 2014, 18:17
I will chip in here, if you don't mind too much. Ripley's believe it or not , not every mid lifer bought a Harley, that's a fact.

Most of the guys riding the adventure bikes are well past "mid life'.

Most of the younger riders are happy scaring themselves silly collecting bugs in their teeth at 200k or so.
Some of those who survive may move on to a cruiser. And not always a Harley, there are other brands available.

Some progress on to adventure riding. Some retain their sports bike and/or cruiser and are able to buy an adventure bike, and good on em.
Mostly those guys are the guys who have ridden up and down N.Z. a number of times and maybe have ridden across some of those bridges and thought I wonder what's up there?
Can I ride it?. Some go to hunt, some to fish, some to camp out and others go just for the ride and the memories.

Those guys are not brand driven but apply the "what's the best bike I can afford to do the job I want it to do" matrix.

The earlier Stroms may have ticked the boxes for some of those riders but I don't think the newer 2014 bike will appeal to the real Adventure Bike Rider who wishes to get off road and mix it up a little. A big bike like that off road is a real handful. That's a real shame as the Strom has a very good reputation. If I were in the market for a 1000cc adventure bike I would strike it from my list of possible due to that pipe configuration. You need bash ability and reliability.. I think that pipe configuration is a huge mistake.
I believe that Suzuki has made a huge mistake to put that bike up as a contender in the large adventure bike market. Just my 2c worth, as a well past mid-lifer, and exploring the Adventure Bike riding available ..

Laava
18th August 2014, 19:02
You are right about the exhaust Mo but the bike itself is lighter than previous and really feels it too.
People don't buy DL1000's to go bush bashing, that's for sure. Awesome on the gravel roads tho!

Gremlin
18th August 2014, 19:36
No, I believe some of the water crossings and ride in general aren't exactly suitable for a 1/4 ton tank. :crazy:

Following 250s for the average road rider may be a snore, but adventure riding... yeah, I know limits. They float across sand, I dig a trench. Not to mention I'll probably have a wee nap and the last time that happened I ended up with a 2nd degree burn to my leg, which got infected, which kept me off my feet for 2 weeks, which I had to keep out of the sun for 2 years :sweatdrop

I know you're supposed to accelerate through sand (front light, back heavy), but that advice doesn't come from people controlling 100hp! Also, I think I've just sold my set of TKCs... wasn't using them.

Anyway, back on topic. Plenty of the adventure styled bikes are more like all road tourers, like the Honda Crosstourer. That said, even the Super Tenere (which some have taken to extreme places) needed extra protection from stock. My GS Adventure came with a bash plate. That got dented during one segment of adv riding and was far too small for real protection, so it's been replaced with a much bigger bash plate (about twice the size) covering a lot more of the underneath, and a centre stand plate has been fitted which means almost the entire underneath is now protected between front and rear wheels. Realistically, that should have been done from stock.

However, as JD has said (not quite that percentage), BMW has done studies, and yes, a significant majority never leave sealed roads. The new GSs even have more road biased tyre sizing. Only problem with a new bike is limited accessories available, but the aftermarket always catches up, and you can modify as you wish to suit your needs.

Winston001
18th August 2014, 21:16
I will chip in here, if you don't mind too much.

Most of the guys riding the adventure bikes are well past "mid life'.

Mostly those guys are the guys who have ridden up and down N.Z. a number of times and maybe have ridden across some of those bridges and thought I wonder what's up there?

Can I ride it?. Some go to hunt, some to fish, some to camp out and others go just for the ride and the memories.

Those guys are not brand driven but apply the "what's the best bike I can afford to do the job I want it to do" matrix.

...I don't think the newer 2014 bike will appeal to the real Adventure Bike Rider who wishes to get off road and mix it up a little. A big bike like that off road is a real handful.

Yep agreed. That's why I have a Honda XR200 with a small front cog to gear it down. Falling off a slope at 4000 - 5000 ft (1500m) is no fun at all and you need a bike with some chance of wrestling it back onto the track. Or out of a creek. Light with lots of torque.

So the compromise road/offroad is probably a Vstrom 650 or similar.

Big Dog
18th August 2014, 21:19
No, I believe some of the water crossings and ride in general aren't exactly suitable for a 1/4 ton tank. :crazy:

Following 250s for the average road rider may be a snore, but adventure riding... yeah, I know limits. They float across sand, I dig a trench. Not to mention I'll probably have a wee nap and the last time that happened I ended up with a 2nd degree burn to my leg, which got infected, which kept me off my feet for 2 weeks, which I had to keep out of the sun for 2 years :sweatdrop

I know you're supposed to accelerate through sand (front light, back heavy), but that advice doesn't come from people controlling 100hp! Also, I think I've just sold my set of TKCs... wasn't using them.

Anyway, back on topic. Plenty of the adventure styled bikes are more like all road tourers, like the Honda Crosstourer. That said, even the Super Tenere (which some have taken to extreme places) needed extra protection from stock. My GS Adventure came with a bash plate. That got dented during one segment of adv riding and was far too small for real protection, so it's been replaced with a much bigger bash plate (about twice the size) covering a lot more of the underneath, and a centre stand plate has been fitted which means almost the entire underneath is now protected between front and rear wheels. Realistically, that should have been done from stock.

However, as JD has said (not quite that percentage), BMW has done studies, and yes, a significant majority never leave sealed roads. The new GSs even have more road biased tyre sizing. Only problem with a new bike is limited accessories available, but the aftermarket always catches up, and you can modify as you wish to suit your needs.

Perhaps of you took the kitchen sink out of the top box? :innocent:

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Gremlin
18th August 2014, 21:34
Most would never leave the road because most buyers would not want to risk dropping them off road like you.
For most adventure rides, I figure if I'm not dropping it at least once, then it isn't challenging enough :yes:

Perhaps of you took the kitchen sink out of the top box? :innocent:
:bleh: For most of those rides I leave the top box off, too much weight too high up and too far back. Run with a tail pack instead, and for longer trips, add panniers.

Big Dog
18th August 2014, 21:50
For most adventure rides, I figure if I'm not dropping it at least once, then it isn't challenging enough :yes:

:bleh: For most of those rides I leave the top box off, too much weight too high up and too far back. Run with a tail pack instead, and for longer trips, add panniers.

Rofl. I need to eat less pies to improve my handling. I have heard saddle type tank bags are awesome for allowing more horses on the softer stuff.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Jantar
10th September 2014, 22:45
I happened to drop into Wellington's best coffee shop on Monday. What makes it the best coffee shop is that the coffee is free and you are surrounded by heaps of bikes to look at while sipping away on your coffee. Anyway, Crasherfromwayback twisted my arm into trying out the new DL1000 for a spin. Having owned two previous models of V-Strom, I was keen to see just what improvements had been made.

One of the main complaints with all previous V-Strom models was the buffeting from the wind flow. I overcame that on my V-Stroms by fitting a Madstad bracket that allowed the screen to be quickly adjustable in both height and rake. Suzuki have now fitted that type of system as standard, and I experienced no buffeting at all.

The previous Stroms required the revs to be kept over 3000 rpm or the engine would feel lumpy. The new engine is much smoother lower down, and makes the bike more tractable at lower speed. I have not checked the full specs, but the gearing feels lower as well. This may be an illusion, but I would feel happier on tricky off road sections with the newer motor than the older one.

Although I couldn't take it adventure riding I did try some narrow, winding roads, and this model felt just as nimble as the earlier ones. The one noticeable difference is the brakes. These are powerful, great for the road, but possibly too powerful for loose gravel or greasy surfaces. The suspension feels firmer, but also more progressive, and is a definite improvement. Traction Control is a nice feature, but hardly needed. I left it on in case of grit on the road on the twisty section I was on even though it wasn't needed.

The instrument panel is different. Lots of information that was missing on previous models, but that speedo is still inaccurate and reading too high. A new feature is an indicator giving current fuel usage in km/l. Interesting, but useless. It updates every second or so, but the variation is too great to give any true indication unless you are at a constant throttle for a period of time. Like on a motorway perhaps. It would be greatly improved if it was averaged over 10 - 15 seconds.

Overall, my impressions are that the latest model is a big improvement over the earlier models for road riding, but I would want to reduce the braking effectiveness for adventure riding. Yes I would take this over the Nevis, or the Dunstan trail, but probably not Awakino.