PDA

View Full Version : Running in a new bike

franco
24th January 2004, 21:56
Heya

I've just got my new bike (SV650K3). And I know that there are different schools of thought about running in a bike from new, esp before it's first service.

Some say stick to the manufacturers recommended procedure (in my case, limiting revs to a sad 5000rpm, varying speed and RPMs frequently esp when riding highways). Others say ride the bike the way you normally would.

For now, I plan to do it the way the manufacturer recommends (tho, not being afraid of going up to 6000rpm every now and then...).

What do you think?

Yamahamaman
24th January 2004, 22:00
For now, I plan to do it the way the manufacturer recommends (tho, not being afraid of going up to 6000rpm every now and then...).

What do you think?

I would go with what the manufaturer recommends. They would not have bothered otherwise and so there must be a reason.

The first R6 I purchased had very explicit instructions for running in to which I adhered to religeously. The 01 model owners manual did not have any instructions at all.

Murray

Ogri
25th January 2004, 06:03
Heya

What do you think?

Hi Franco

I too purchased a new SV650K3 back in November and asked others the same question.

I decided on the same course as you - ride within the manufacturer's recommendations but also, was not adverse to having a little fun now and then. The bike is now well and truly "run-in" and it is freeing up very nicely.
I can hear it now actually, come get me, come get me, roads are emtpy, sun is shining..........................gotta go...............................

wkid_one
25th January 2004, 08:51
Becareful - you can severely limit the maximum horsepower of your bike by not running it in properly. General rule of thumb is it will ride as you run it in.

If you are going to own it forever - run it in lightly - if not.....run it in hard and let the person after you have the problems

750Y
25th January 2004, 18:49
if/when I get my new bike, if it is a high performance sportsbike i will have it run in on the dyno, otherwise, if it's a cruiser, I'll run it in on the road in the first day. I'm totally comfortable with this approach.

Motoracer
25th January 2004, 18:57
if/when I get my new bike, if it is a high performance sportsbike i will have it run in on the dyno, otherwise, if it's a cruiser, I'll run it in on the road in the first day. I'm totally comfortable with this approach.

How the heck do you put all thoes Ks on a dyno? Is this normal practice? :confused:

750Y
25th January 2004, 20:57
How the heck do you put all thoes Ks on a dyno? Is this normal practice? :confused:

lol, no i will take an alternative approach to 'running in' which will basically consist of 3 runs on the dyno, then i'm out the door mission accomplished & ready to rock.

franco
26th January 2004, 08:53
Hey thanks for the responses guys.

Over the weekend I clocked up over 400K's (a couple of rides over the Rimataka's, up to Martinborough for a kai, etc). I had a hard time trying to limit myself from going over 5000rpm, and a couple of times went over that, oops.

Anyways, I wasn't being too anal about it, as a couple of years ago I read this artical: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I just did a search for it again, yep, still the same. I didn't go nuts with it tho, like this guy seems to recommend.

Anyways, another 4 hundy K and I'm in for my 1st service.

Hey Ogri, out of interest, what kind of mileage/ distance are you getting with your SV650K3?

Grumpy
26th January 2004, 10:44
A number of years back my brother in law and myself bought a brand new GSXR750J each. We bought them from the same shop on the same day. I ran mine in as the book recommended and he ran his in as he intended to ride it, which was hard.
Once they were both run in the difference in the performance was quite noticable. His was much faster and seemed to rev alot easier than mine.
We both owned them about the same length of time and did similar Km's and I can't say his suffered any problems at all.
Since then I have owned 7 more bikes, all brand new and have just ridden them as normal from run in with no problems at all. I'm just careful not to load the engine too much or run it too hot and I always make sure it is warmed up properly before giving it a hard time.

tlronny
26th January 2004, 11:11
I agree with Grumpy more or less - but definately dont pamper it !

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! :sly:

ching_ching
26th January 2004, 19:05
Howzit franco,

Apparently the engines that are made these days are more robust, made of more sturdy materials and the honing on the cylinder interior is more fine so subsequently, according to some race mechanics, with regards to a brand new bike, just ride it like you normally would right out of the crate.

For more reference, try this link bro:-

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I pretty much aspired to this train of thought, changed the oil and filter as soon as I could after a couple of rides to flush out all the machinings and shit, technician said bike seems to be sweetaz and it sure feels that way, acceleration seems to be ka pai.

There's a theory going round that companies say in their manuals to keep the revs low for a while so that after so many km's if anything breaks down it won't be as bad as if something breaks down early on if you rode the shit out of it right out of the crate and it won't end up costing the manufacturers as much under the warranty if you follow their suggestions as per manual. But like Suzuki do as I'm sure most manufacturers do, they dyno their bikes throughout the rev range before they pack their machines up and that sure ain't following the manual.

Cheers brutha,

ching_ching

franco
26th January 2004, 21:06
yeah cheers bro. I actually posted this link a couple of responses up, and I must admit it makes for compelling reading and food for thought. Time for the early oil change I reckon.

cher cher

750Y
29th January 2004, 13:44
A number of years back my brother in law and myself bought a brand new GSXR750J each. We bought them from the same shop on the same day. I ran mine in as the book recommended and he ran his in as he intended to ride it, which was hard.
Once they were both run in the difference in the performance was quite noticable. His was much faster and seemed to rev alot easier than mine.
We both owned them about the same length of time and did similar Km's and I can't say his suffered any problems at all.
Since then I have owned 7 more bikes, all brand new and have just ridden them as normal from run in with no problems at all. I'm just careful not to load the engine too much or run it too hot and I always make sure it is warmed up properly before giving it a hard time.

the only negative i have heard is regarding the valves not always seating properly due to the nature of the hard break in technique. I imagine this becomes less and less of an issue with the latest model sportbikes as the tolerances get more precise through improved design/manufacturing methods/materials & quality control. I'm sold on this 'hard break-in' technique and the only change I may make is if I run it in at the track instead of the dyno, thereby getting some track time in while also saving some money for rubber and beer.

PeteThePom
29th January 2004, 14:19
Think everyones covered this fairly comprehensively. I'll just add my two pence worth anyway.

I'd agree with what seems to be the majority opinion which is run it in as you wanna ride it with this caveat. If the motor feels good and free then off you go but if it seems to be a bit tight then back off(you'll notice this when you accelerate, if it seems a bit slugish then it's probably a little tight, however you need a feel for it which like most things comes with experience!), don't red line it and never ever ever put fully synthetic oil into it until you've done around 10,000 km's. The anti-friction properties of synthetic oil can stop your engine components bedding in properly so just use mineral oil until then.

Or you could just thrash it mercilessly and if it breaks claim on the warranty!!:innocent:

Coldkiwi
29th January 2004, 16:44
there is a slight complication to the mototune method. As a new bike, you'll be wanting to keep that Suzuki warranty in tact (just like me). But you'll find that suzuki mechanics WON'T do an early oil change for you. By all means, you can do it yourself but they'll have some raised eyebrows come your 1000km service and will want to know whats going on when they see fairy clean oil so have a good reason prepared if you don't want to run the risk of voiding your warranty.

at least if you are going to run an SV650 in by the book, they're not too rev hungry. I got to ride one for a day while my GSXR was with them getting serviced and it was a much more relaxing ride! (not as much fun but then they're not my cup of tea)

Coldkiwi
29th January 2004, 16:50
..having said all that, I rode (and still do) my GSXR fairly... umm.. firmly... for the first.. *checks the odometer* 4257 kms :D

glad to hear Grumpy's experience lines up with the moto man. I'd agree with 750Y as well about the tolerances given how fantastic the manufacturing machines are these days.

FzerozeroT
1st February 2004, 19:11
theory sounds good but why does he stress at the beginning that it is for four strokes only, what about my two stroke?

Ogri
1st February 2004, 20:26
Hey thanks for the responses guys.

Hey Ogri, out of interest, what kind of mileage/ distance are you getting with your SV650K3?

Hi Franco

Never felt the need to work it out - enjoying it too much. I know I get 250K before the light comes on (steady riding) and about 200K after a good thrash.

I reckon it will cost me more in rubber than petrol :D

I must be getting used to it now - the chicken strips are disappearing :whistle:

jimbo600
1st February 2004, 20:51
I got myself a new GSXR750K3 a little over three months ago. Ran it in as per the manual for about 1000km's then ditched the oil/filter then took it to the 1/4 mile sprints at the Wairarapa.

So I'd say look after it for the first 1000 then change the oil and phrang it.

The gixxer goes like bloody f**k.

Modern jappers are good to go straight from the crate anyway.

SPman
1st February 2004, 21:21
theory sounds good but why does he stress at the beginning that it is for four strokes only, what about my two stroke?
Well, you could do what we used to do, back in ....19 mumble mumble.........
Run the engine hard til it just starts to seize, let it cool down, repeat process a couple of times, then hit the track, er, road!........mind you, we weren't worried about long term reliability :(
Worked a treat

:whistle:

franco
3rd February 2004, 14:10
Thanks everyone for the responses. The weather here in Wellington has sucked for the last week or so :weep: so I haven't really taken it out as often as I have wanted to. Anyways, I've decided to use the following approach

- ride it like I intend to ride it, without loading the motor too much (or redlining)
- vary the RPM's as often as possible
- change the oil early (using a mineral, avoiding the synthetic)
- throw the woman (aka pillion) on the back now and then

cher cher, Franco :yeah:

merv
3rd February 2004, 18:02
You've been doing all the right stuff and yeah bugger the weather here the last few days. Last week was great while I was out dirt riding though so can't complain too much.

marty
3rd February 2004, 19:08
look at sales reps and their new cars. they sure as shit don't run them in, and they never break em....