PDA

View Full Version : Pinlock & Pro Tint review

90s
26th July 2014, 19:41
OK, as a commuter on the bike every day in winter here are the problems I had with my HJC CS-12 visor -

1. Fogging. Tried cat crap, anti-foggers etc, all variable and very temporary
2. Sun strike on way home if early - commute SH16 straight into the sun - splitting the whole way

I have a dark smoke visor, but its just not practical in winter to carry two visors etc, when so I tend to have the clear visor in most times. So as a solution to these problems I bought a new clear visor fitted with the HJ-05 specific Pro Tint pinlock insert (you can also get the generic pinlock kit and inserts.)

I got it from this UK outfit, as I was over there - they do post to NZ though: http://www.pinlockshop.co.uk/
UK postage was free, service and packaging was very good, pricing was competitive with ebay etc and they also pit the pinlocks free to any visor you buy.

So how has the pinlock fared in the recent 2 degs cold rainy mornings with the odd bright day with plenty of low sun?

1. Fogging - a revelation. No fogging. Very rarely and tiny bit of misting over the insert, but really nothing. It means I can ride with the visor fully closed. Until now I did not realise how often I automatically reached to open the helmet more at lights, held my breath to avoid misting etc. I feel better on the bike. Could not recommend it enough. Only negative point is that you can see the insert reducing your overall vision a little. The insert is noticeable. On the other hand, you can see the plain visor completely fogged around the pinlock, so slightly reduced field of vision is better than no vision.

2. The Pro Tint has bad reviews from idiot yanks online who expected it to go jet black within 0.2 of a second. With the expectation it would not be like my smoke visor I have been very pleased with it. The visor dims quite quickly, and is noticeably darker than the clear visor, although light smoke would be a fair description. It certainly takes the edge of sunstrike, so worth having. It doubles the costs of the insert, but is a good investment I feel.

So another pinlock convert here, and I would recommend the Pro Tint insert, as long as you accept its only going to darken the visor a small but useful amount.

nzspokes
26th July 2014, 22:01
Cool, thanks for that. I may well get one for my HJC.

caspernz
26th July 2014, 23:21
Yep fair review of an option you've chosen.

Another approach is pinlock for the antifog insert on almost any name brand helmet. Mine is a Shoei Neotec. Integrated sun visor flip down thingee. Magic idea. Add sun visor strip across top of visor in the form of good quality electrical tape. Yeah ok I'm turning into an old fart, but this approach works for me.