PDA

View Full Version : New here

cheetor
24th January 2004, 23:32
Hello All,
I'm new to the idea of riding a motorbike, having driven cars most of the time, I thought I might like a bit of a change, motorbikes seemed the obvious choice, I think mabye I might have a slight headstart having ridded downhill mountainbikes quite regularly, and having a fair idea of how increadibly stupid most NZ car drivers are (I alwas am very consideriate to bikers and mountianbikers..etc)

I had been looking at a Suzuki FXR150 as my first bike once I get my 6L
any comments?

750Y
25th January 2004, 02:27
welcome cheetor. a good learners bike because it's small light easy to handle and not too much power to overwhelm you.

What?
25th January 2004, 06:17
Welcome to the world, Cheetor.
Be warned that motorcycles can be addictive. And FUN.
The FXR would be an excellent choice as a learner bike. Add some rider training into your budget, and buy the best protective gear you can reasonably afford.
Oh, and spend a bit of time looking around this board - there's been lots of advice (some of it good!!) to newbies...

SpankMe
25th January 2004, 07:19
any comments?

The FXR150 is too small for your first bike if you plan on moving up to larger bikes later. Get yourself a decent 250cc. The Honda VTR250 (http://www.dropbears.com/m/models/honda/vtr250_99.htm) would make an excellent first bike. The Suzuki Goose (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=137) would make an even better learners bike if it wasn't for the stupid 250cc laws.

Jackrat
25th January 2004, 09:08
Gidday mate,Welcome aboard.
If you like the look of the FXR go for it,it is the ideal bike for your needs.

cheetor
25th January 2004, 11:49
Welcome to the world, Cheetor.
Be warned that motorcycles can be addictive. And FUN.
The FXR would be an excellent choice as a learner bike. Add some rider training into your budget, and buy the best protective gear you can reasonably afford.
Oh, and spend a bit of time looking around this board - there's been lots of advice (some of it good!!) to newbies...

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm certianly looking forward to getting into biking :D
I think I'll definitly be going for the FXR, its a realy nice looker to boot :D

YThe one tthing I've learnt from mountianbiking is that money spent of body armor is money well spent

Zed
25th January 2004, 14:16
Hello All,
I'm new to the idea of riding a motorbike, having driven cars most of the time, I thought I might like a bit of a change, motorbikes seemed the obvious choice, I think mabye I might have a slight headstart having ridded downhill mountainbikes quite regularly, and having a fair idea of how increadibly stupid most NZ car drivers are (I alwas am very consideriate to bikers and mountianbikers..etc)

any comments?
Hi there, I'm new here too! But I'm not new to motorcycles so I may have some good advice for you...:innocent:

Personally, I wouldn't recommend for anyone to begin riding a motorcycle on the road unless they have had some off-road experience or have grown up around bikes! Have you had either? My reasoning being is that it is just too dangerous out there nowadays for novice riders.

Riding is a fantastic experience for general commuting and leisure travel. If you are up to it and have the time, get as much practise as you can...for it is not for the faint hearted. I've seen too many would-be bikers have accidents in front of my eyes and also had many close calls myself to know what I'm talking about.

If I havn't put you off too much- get confident and go for it!

I also agree with Mr SpankMe about beginning on a 250cc and not a 150cc. I'm one of these "the bigger the better" advocates.

Take care out there.

Zed

MadDuck
25th January 2004, 15:36
Hi Cheetor

...how could I not agree with SpankMe on the VTR250. Great bike with enough grunt to work up to. Oh and very light and sexy - can you tell I love mine to bits??? :whistle:

Motoracer
25th January 2004, 16:43
What year MR2 have you got there dude. A while back I could have gone either way, cars or bikes. Obviouly I went for bikes. If I had gone the other way, I was getting me a '88 supercharged or a 89-90 standard 2.0 liter one to join the MR2 club in Auckland.

Oh and welcome to biking man. Its awesome. You can hoon around without raising too many eyebrows as you would with a car. As soon as the tires screetch on a car while cornering, people look at you and put the boy racer lable on you with disgust. On a bike, if you get your knee down/scrape your foot pegs, the general public will think you are a cool dude or at least wont be bothered too much. There is nothing more practical than a bike when it comes to commuting as well.

I'd give you the thumbs up for the FXR. The main thing is that, its a new/newish bike so you won't have too many mechanical problems that you might find in older bikes for similar value. 150cc 4 stroke can get you to the moon and back with a full tank of fuel so you realy can't go wrong with this.

Good luck and have fun :niceone:

cheetor
25th January 2004, 22:47
I would LIKE to go for a 250, hoewver I cant realy afford that now, and the FXR is a dammed good looking bike :D

Draco
26th January 2004, 08:12
I would LIKE to go for a 250, hoewver I cant realy afford that now, and the FXR is a dammed good looking bike :D

Welcome cheetor,
If your budget wont allow you a 250 there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 150. I started on a Suzuki RG150. (It's a little 2 stroke.) What an awesome little bike. I'm on to my second 400 and only just sold the RG because i needed the money to finance the CBR400, if i had the choice i would have kept it. Lots of my mates have ridden it too (even the guys who own 1000's) and we've all had so much fun on it. For a learner it was easy to ride, cheap to maintain, and being fairly new never had mechanical problems. If you look at an RG the 1998 model is brilliant, the 2000 model has a reputation for blowing up (i've seen 3 in my m8's bike shop).

Welcome to the mad, bad and exciting world of motorcycling. ENJOY!

riffer
26th January 2004, 10:00
Nothing wrong with little bikes. I started on a GP125 2 stroke commuter type bike. Maximum speed 110 kmh in 5th (one down from top) with chin on tank.

Loved it!

fpsware
27th January 2004, 12:22
I've just upgraded from a FXR 150, I'm now riding a ZXR 400 :2thumbsup .

I agree with the other guys, get a 250. I had my 150 for about 18 months and by the end of it, I really wanted something with my grunt. The FXR was a great bike to start with (or even after a 5 year break) but in about a years time get yourself a 250.

Andrew
27th January 2004, 12:32
I've just upgraded from a FXR 150, I'm now riding a ZXR 400 :2thumbsup .

I agree with the other guys, get a 250. I had my 150 for about 18 months and by the end of it, I really wanted something with my grunt. The FXR was a great bike to start with (or even after a 5 year break) but in about a years time get yourself a 250.

Exactly what I did and no regrets!! :Punk: