PDA

View Full Version : 05 CB900F Honda Hornet Review

Avignon
8th September 2005, 22:03
The 05 CB900F differs from earlier models in now having fully adjustable forks and in new colour scheme's a candy apple red and black, its also cheaper too! I chose the gloss meta-flake black. At just $10,995 the bike is a bargin and great fun!

The 919cc fireblade engine has been retuned to deliver low to midrange grunt, perfect for fast starts (read 10s 1/4 mile) effortless overtaking and due to its comfortable riding position touring duties as well. Sure it doesn't have a fairing, but you can fit a small bikini faining like I have and quite frankly the engine just doesn't care and will quite happily punch you up to nearly any speed you might want, very rapidly.

Even during the runnig in period with limited rpm available. The low to midrange torque on offer as a joy (max 5500rpm). At any set of lights or through any series of bends the Honda makes it easy to lay down globs of torque through its light clutch, fuel injection and 180 section sports radial. Once the bike was run in (750km) and the mineral oil exchanged for semi-synthetic I could really start to have some fun and rev the bike towards its peak torque of 92nm @ 6500 & 81kw/ 108.5bhp@9000prm (not sure where this is measured but probably the crank). These are very similar figures to the VTR1000.

Some journo in Spain, flat on the tank hung on to 255k indicated with no bikini
fairing. I've seen 240 indicated after slipstreaming then overtaking a VTR SP1 (on the road), but it didin't really have too much more to come, however top speed is a bit really academic on a bike like this. Any gear, just twist the wrist and instantly the bike howls, digs in and pulls. When the bike is making it's most torgue @ 6,500rm the front wheel can be lifted on the power delivery and carried through the smooth, fuel injected throttle control up towards the 9000rm peak power. Notching up more gears is simple as long
as the road is straight enough. I can't wheelie round corners, although I know some people can.

I've fitted a factory spec bikini fairing, which makes riding at speed and touring much more comfortable. Its surprising what such a small bit of perspex can do. Without it I'd need to be lifting weights every second day just to hang on with the wind blast above 140kph. Regardless of the retune the engine and chasis package contribute to make this a riducelously easy bike to ride fast. Steering is quick and precise. I found the front end surprisingly planted, where I could feel the road surface much more than I
thought could be delivered through a 'comfortable' handlebar, the 120 section front and 43mm forks work well. Side to side transitions can be described as adequately fast but not razor fast as most modern supersport machines deliver but I aint going racing, Im going for a ride. And when I want to I can stick with the open class bikes easily enough, at least in open sweeper territory.

The riding position feels very natural, absolutely in control and very comfortable. My other bike is a 95Gsxr-w, heavier, more top heavy, less all round power and with a racers crouch, sore wrists after an hour. On the Hornet you sit upright and can see all around and at a simple flick of the wrist you surge forward. Honda have made a streetfighter in their own unique honda way. This aint no bad ass bandit or fazer or z-thou its a Honda, sort of sanatised/civilized muscle bike, does that make sense, I know the $10,995 brand new price made sense to me. Its happy purring along at 60kph or 100kph, the sound of the values whirring away is bliss or you can wind it up to go to jail speed, your choice.

I have now put about 3000km on the bike since new, on all sorts of road and conditions. Even in the wet it fells planted and assured. I did have a front end slide under braking in one down pour. But the road surface was de-laminated stone chip sort of like one big white line and others on the ride had identical experiences. On the plus side, it was a controllable and easily corrected slide, or more realistically the bike corrected it for me then
flatered my riding talents.

I have also fitted Oggy knows and hope to get to a trackday soon and have some on the side fun. Warble warble marketing speak, it also has catalytic conversion, low emissions, great toolkit, multi language manual etc . . . 08/09/05 Avignon.

skelstar
8th September 2005, 22:16
Awesome write up. Im pretty keen on these bikes despite vowing not to buy another non-faired bike. I just like the simple-uncluttered looks. Tell me, your Gixxer is how big? and how long since your 250?

skelstar
8th September 2005, 22:17
Oh and welcome to the site.

Avignon
8th September 2005, 22:30
My gixxer is a 750. I stopped riding 250's about fifteen years ago. However I wouldn't turn down a ride on a well sorted 250 stroker today. I did about six months on a GN250 single then onto a GPX250 2 cylinder for the rest of my licence, then an gsx400x Impulse inline 4, to a rg500 square 4 two stroke, fz750 . . . gsx1100, trx850, gsxr750w and now a cb900F. Im sure I've missed a few somewhere.

skelstar
8th September 2005, 22:34
Aye corumba. Sorry, I was just trying to get some context regarding the review. Its important to find out what the rider has had etc. Makes your review carry a bit more weight. Thanks.

Sparky Bills
8th September 2005, 22:40
Yeah, We have a demo model at work.
And my flat mate owns an 03 model.
BLOODY GOOD BIKES!!!
What more can i say.

He put lower (ventura) bars and dropped it down on the forks a bit. Made it lots easier to tip in and brought your weight further forward. Its not mine and i love it to bits.
Not even any need to screw around with the suspension on his either.
The 05 model needed stiffening up a bit, but with that fully adjustable shocks, its easy.
Good choice in bike.
AND CHEAP!!!

Avignon
8th September 2005, 22:48
Yeah my rear really needed stiffening up. The factory setting was at 2, 1 being the softest. C- Spanner two clicks to the right and its much better. I've stiffened the front slightly as well, but otherwise its fine, Otherwise its dandy . . .

zadok
8th September 2005, 23:26
Nice bike, nice price, nice screen. If I wasn't such a fan of shafties, I would happily own one.

pritch
15th September 2005, 21:32
Yeah my rear really needed stiffening up. .

Unless I'm trying hard I just run the back on the standard setting, and I'm a fat bastard. I felt the fork dive could be a bit dramatic so I've dialled in half a turn of preload and a little rebound damping. Basically though I prefer to let the suspension do its thing.

Mines a 2004 and I'm happy with it. I don't need anything quicker.

The Hornet has to be the bargain buy of the market even allowing for the other current reductions.

skelstar
15th September 2005, 21:35
What sort of fuel economy do you guys get? assume that Pritch008 has a 919?

Devil
17th September 2005, 17:12
Took one for a spin on friday. Had less than 300km's on the clock so was pretty tight. Found it very twitchy on the very first bit of throttle. The seating position put me on my butt bones which were a little sore afterwards. Could be fixed with a different seat or lowering the bars to give a little more lean.

Plenty of guts though. Good deal.

Avignon
18th September 2005, 14:11
I haven't worked out the fuel economy yet, even though I've put a couple of thousand kays on in about two weeks. I imagine if you were restrained it could be quite frugal, wot with the fuel injection and all. I only ride on the weekends, i need a cage for work, and then only on country roads etc. I also tend to give it a bit because the engine is just so much fun to flog, so I imagine my fuel economy is poor, but compared to my car its probably fantastic. :scooter:

As for being twitchy on the initial throttle, I dont really notice that, I'd call it precise fuel mapping with instant response. As for you sore arse I'd recommend lower and slightly further forward handlebars which would change your riding position and get you out of the windblast, and bars are quite cheap - made in NZ etc. The seats got a ton of padding esp compared to my gixxer and all I can say is you must have a bony ass or be a scrawny unit (no offence) to think its uncomfortable, however a custom saddle like a corbin etc is appealing. But im going to do the exhausts first and liberate a bit of sound.

Grinner
18th September 2005, 22:30
I had my 2002 for about 3 months.
No problems with the initial throttle or seat.
Riding position is very upright but you get used to it. Lack of a fairing does keep your speed down. Worst still is the hopeless view out the mirrors.
Overall a greatbike and one happy owner.

parsley
18th September 2005, 22:40
I love my 250, and it has the added advantage of looking like a bigger bike. Don't want people thinking I'm a learner... :shutup:

parsley
18th September 2005, 22:41
Worst still is the hopeless view out the mirrors.
Agreed, but in my experience most bikes have a crap view out the mirrors. Are there bikes out there where they work?

Ixion
18th September 2005, 22:51
Agreed, but in my experience most bikes have a crap view out the mirrors. Are there bikes out there where they work?

K75 BMW. Absolutely no vibration, crystal clear at all speeds, and excellent field of view. Far and away the best I've ever seen on a bike. As good as any cage. Maybe the only good thing going for the K75, but it dead smooth.

Devil
19th September 2005, 09:43
As for being twitchy on the initial throttle, I dont really notice that, I'd call it precise fuel mapping with instant response. As for you sore arse I'd recommend lower and slightly further forward handlebars which would change your riding position and get you out of the windblast, and bars are quite cheap - made in NZ etc. The seats got a ton of padding esp compared to my gixxer and all I can say is you must have a bony ass or be a scrawny unit (no offence) to think its uncomfortable, however a custom saddle like a corbin etc is appealing. But im going to do the exhausts first and liberate a bit of sound.
I'm going to give the bike another try. Maybe its just me prefering slightly more throttle movement for the initial opening, helping smooth things out.
Would have to get different bars, the seat is really good, but I was just at the wrong angle. If I take it out again I might have to jack the preload on the rear up a couple of notches. I'm around 85-90kg and it wasnt really turning in like I think it should.

Didnt mind the mirrors. I've seen worse, like the sv650s which I rode on the same day. Talk about useless.

Groins_NZ
19th September 2005, 11:07
I've had my 04 Hornet since last November - done approx. 27,000Kms and still enjoying the bike very much. Goes plenty fast enough for me - sometimes too fast!

I get roughly 230-240Kms before the reserve warning light comes on. Depends how you ride of course, although if you ride this bike you already know how you want gas it out of every corner regardless. If I'm travelling long distances then a smidge over 240Kms. I've filled up at just over 280Kms a few times now with probably only a litre or less remaining in the tank.

I fitted a Corbin seat which I got through an Australian company - Kenma (http://www.kenma.com.au/). It was on special at the time, $380 but I didn't get to choose styling or colour as it was old stock.

The seat has definitely made a difference for me in both handling and comfort departments. I used to find the edges of the stock seat would put pressure right on the bone at the top of my thighs. The contoured shape of the Corbin seat is a lot more forgiving and fantastic on long trips. There is an increase in height however and the downside of this is that I'm already a short arse! The upside is that my weight is slightly more forward, over the handle bars and hence turning in is a little more responsive and the front feels more 'planted'. My partner who rides pillion sometimes also benefits from the new seat as she has more seat area, doesn’t slip forward under breaking and can now see over my helmet – makes her feel a whole lot more comfortable being able to see the road ahead!

Edit: Whoops, I forgot to mention about the 'floppy' /delayed throttle response. My mechanic just adjusted the play in the throttle and it's much better now. You just need to take some of the slack out. To test you haven't tightened it too much turn your steering full lock in both directions, if the RPMs increase then you've tightened it up too much i.e. shouldn't be any throttle on when at full lock.

P.S. I have a sheepskin cover made by Charmans (http://www.charmans.co.nz) to fit a stock seat if anyone’s interested.

The Stranger
19th September 2005, 12:38
The fireblade engine has been retuned to deliver low to midrange grunt, perfect for fast starts (read 10s 1/4 mile) effortless overtaking ...

That is pretty impressive 1/4 mile time.
Top Speed Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/topspeed/99topspeed.html)
Just about as quick as a Busa.

Avignon
20th September 2005, 11:05
QUOTE]I fitted a Corbin seat which I got through an Australian company - Kenma. It was on special at the time, $380 but I didn't get to choose styling or colour as it was old stock.[/QUOTE]

The seat looks good, it also looks colour matched, black - black.

As for the mirrors, they are fine, I have a great view of my elbows! I might try some rectangular jobbies. :blink:

Groins_NZ
21st September 2005, 08:26
Cheers Avignon,

Have you seen the mirrors with integrated turn signals? I haven't seen them in the flesh, just on the web so might actually be a bit tacky? Could be good for your conspicuity though... if you're into that.
<BR>
<BR>

skelstar
21st September 2005, 08:30
Cheers Avignon
Mate, when are you going to go on one of the KB rides (that im on anyway) so I can have a look at your bike :)?

Groins_NZ
21st September 2005, 10:22
Mate, when are you going to go on one of the KB rides (that im on anyway) so I can have a look at your bike :)?

Good point, I haven't been on one for ages. Mostly go out on Sundays with the e-Rider crew. I think there is an organised brunch ride this Sunday - usually go over the Takas through to Wild Oats @ Carterton for some breaky. 09:30 start.

skelstar
21st September 2005, 10:30
Yeah Im usually heading to Martinborough much later with VTWIN et al. Only for the last couple of months though (newbie).

Groins_NZ
21st September 2005, 18:51
Have you seen the new 2006 model?

The only differences I found are:
Seat height reduced by .2 of an inch,
Weighs a pound of butter more than the 2005 model,
Available in a new candy red colour (I thought the 2005 model came in red also - maybe it's not candy red huh?),
4.3 inches of travel instead of 4.7 in front suspension.

Not a great deal to look forward to in the 2006 model aye.

Avignon
21st September 2005, 21:31
Yeah, there is a candy apple 2005 bike. I chose the black one because . . . well because it looked harder. I havent seent the intergrated indicator/mirrors, however I did see a Brutale headlight fitted to a bike in a magazine somewhere which looked cool, but is probably price prohibitive. The hornet owners website 'hornetsnest' is full of crazy ad-ons, paintjobbies and things you can buy for hornets, theres some wild stuff. Im thinking of buying a stainless steel radiator guard to keep stones from fucking my radiator. Theres one guy in Japan who's spent a packet on his bike upgrading it with the best of everything possible, ohlins suspension, mavic magnesium wheels etc he even replacing the std donk with a tuned and blueprinted 919 fireblade engine, which begs tthe question why he didnt just buy a blade or a CBR1000, oh well, you probably couldnt ride it and use it in Japan anyway. :killingme

Groins_NZ
21st September 2005, 22:26
Yeah, there is a candy apple 2005 bike. I chose the black one because . . . well because it looked harder. I havent seent the intergrated indicator/mirrors, however I did see a Brutale headlight fitted to a bike in a magazine somewhere which looked cool, but is probably price prohibitive. The hornet owners website 'hornetsnest' is full of crazy ad-ons, paintjobbies and things you can buy for hornets, theres some wild stuff. Im thinking of buying a stainless steel radiator guard to keep stones from fucking my radiator. Theres one guy in Japan who's spent a packet on his bike upgrading it with the best of everything possible, ohlins suspension, mavic magnesium wheels etc he even replacing the std donk with a tuned and blueprinted 919 fireblade engine, which begs tthe question why he didnt just buy a blade or a CBR1000, oh well, you probably couldnt ride it and use it in Japan anyway.

Yeah I've checked out the 'Hornetsnest' before. Have you stumbled across Wild Hair Accessories (http://www.whaccessories.com/Honda919Accessories.htm)? A lot of stuff there, including radiator covers but hugely expensive!

I'm been keen to get a new radiator guard too and have thought about asking a local engineer to make one up which might work out cheaper, plus you can customise it to suit your preference.

What fly screen have you got fitted? I've been looking for one for ages but didn't like what Honda were offering (style and price), nor did I like the givi screens you can get - to me it blows the Hornets styling. I did order a National Cycle F-18 screen which took longer than 8 weeks to get here after a lot of 'chasing up' the supplier. When it finally got here I found they had supplied the wrong mounting hardware! So I have what looks like a really nice screen off the bike but I can't fit it until I receive the right mounting hardware - probably in another 6-8 weeks!!!!!!!!
<BR>
<BR>

Avignon
21st September 2005, 22:37
I just got a honda jobbie. I like the look good enough. The surprising thing is how much wind the thing deflects. Its tiny but makes a massive difference. The stainless radiator guards on the nest were 60 pounds, which is $180 plus shipping etc, probably $300 landed. I might take your advice and get one made. A mate of mine makes medieval armour for the movies, he did Lord Of The Rings etc, his name was in the credits. Anyway, he's got a computerized laser cutting machine which cuts 16 guage sheet stainless like its paper, so I might be able to make one cheapish. Ill talk to him and see what he says. Maybe we can make 2.

Avignon
21st September 2005, 22:44
Hey Groins, I just checked out the Wild Hair site, wicked. Some tempting stuff on there. :clap:

skelstar
21st September 2005, 22:51
Anyway, he's got a computerized laser cutting machine which cuts 16 guage sheet stainless like its paper.
I reckon you guys could make something quite trick. Just have to come up with a nice design or something.

parsley
21st September 2005, 23:36
I have a Jap aftermarket pipe on my 250 called a Faddy Daddy. God only know what it's supposed to do - the website isn't really written in English. Mind you, they do have .wav files of different bikes.

"It bellows out the sound so racy."
http://www.faddy-daddy.com/e/products/index.htm

Groins_NZ
22nd September 2005, 09:44
I just got a honda jobbie. I like the look good enough. The surprising thing is how much wind the thing deflects. Its tiny but makes a massive difference. The stainless radiator guards on the nest were 60 pounds, which is $180 plus shipping etc, probably $300 landed. I might take your advice and get one made. A mate of mine makes medieval armour for the movies, he did Lord Of The Rings etc, his name was in the credits. Anyway, he's got a computerized laser cutting machine which cuts 16 guage sheet stainless like its paper, so I might be able to make one cheapish. Ill talk to him and see what he says. Maybe we can make 2.

Yeah, sounds good - I'd be keen. I don't think the radiators have changed dimensions between the 2004/2005 models.

We could look around the Web for designs we like the look of and go from there - make some changes maybe. Presuming your mate can do it - does he need a certain amount of patterns to fill one sheet of stainless to make it worthwhile?

Groins_NZ
22nd September 2005, 10:02
I have a Jap aftermarket pipe on my 250 called a Faddy Daddy. God only know what it's supposed to do - the website isn't really written in English. Mind you, they do have .wav files of different bikes.

"It bellows out the sound so racy."
http://www.faddy-daddy.com/e/products/index.htm

They don't seem to have a product for the CB900 Hornet? Not sure about the name aye...

I researched aftermarket exhausts some time ago and found a couple that I really like the look of - just can't afford them!

This ones a great idea, plus you're meant to get better performance by using just the one silencer, yet the package doesn't spoil the Hornets styling:
The Stash (http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=919stash&searchstart=0&template=Templates/TBRSearchResult-Simple-Hon-919-Stash.html)

Moriwai pipes look awesome to me - the best I've seen on a Hornet. They're meant to have a nice sound to them too. They can be seen at the following site:
Moriwaki Experience (http://www.919.org/mori.htm) :yes:

Lots of other examples:
919.org (http://www.919.org/exhaust.htm)

What do you other 919 owners reckon?
<BR>
<BR>

skelstar
22nd September 2005, 10:45
Im not an owner but I reckon this looks cool.
http://www.919.org/919exhaust_files/two_bros3.jpg

et al
22nd September 2005, 22:46
For those who do not want to spend big $: I made my own guard out of grill sheets you can get from Repco/Super Cheap (approx $30) - available in various colours eg silver, red, blue, black. I have fitted these to several bikes - just cut it to size and secure it with cable ties in a couple of places. On the Hornet it was dead easy - I just placed it over the top of the plastic grill. I used an irridescent blue which I think is a bit hideous however it does the job.

et al
22nd September 2005, 22:48
I disabled the airbox inlet flapper (unplug & block the vacuum hose) - not sure if it makes any difference power wise but it seemed to smooth out that "snatchiness" at low throttle openings.

et al
22nd September 2005, 22:51
I also find the seat shape/padding does not suit me too well - my butt cheekbones get sore so nice to know it is not just me, have tried a sheepskin on longer trips which helped a bit. I think it has got better over time, possibly the seat foam moulding to my specific shape.
Only other issue I have with this bike is that I find it difficult to wheel around (in/out of garage, parking etc) - feels like too much weight up top which is not surprising given the engine config, big steel backbone frame, and high rise pipes. I guess this would only be a problem for shortish, scrawny old types like me though.

Groins_NZ
23rd September 2005, 08:03
For those who do not want to spend big $: I made my own guard out of grill sheets you can get from Repco/Super Cheap (approx $30) - available in various colours eg silver, red, blue, black. I have fitted these to several bikes - just cut it to size and secure it with cable ties in a couple of places. On the Hornet it was dead easy - I just placed it over the top of the plastic grill. I used an irridescent blue which I think is a bit hideous however it does the job.
Thanks for all the info <B>et al</B>, you are the master of <B>el cheapo</B> mods. Although going into Repco or Supercheap Auto must be a big change from the $2 Shop I reckon; are you okay (pt)?

I disabled the airbox inlet flapper (unplug & block the vacuum hose)
Any chance of a pic? Where did you find out about this one?

my butt cheekbones get sore so nice to know it is not just me,
AMEN to that. The Corbin seat I got makes a big difference in this respect due to the broader seat. I feel much 'fresher' after getting off my bike now, even after 500Km+ trips.

Devil
23rd September 2005, 12:00
I researched aftermarket exhausts some time ago and found a couple that I really like the look of - just can't afford them!

Akrapovic SP series (check the akrapovic site). Easily the most sexy exhaust for the hornet. Titanium outer sleeve with carbon heat shield (see the pics).

vifferman
23rd September 2005, 12:30
I disabled the airbox inlet flapper (unplug & block the vacuum hose) - not sure if it makes any difference power wise but it seemed to smooth out that "snatchiness" at low throttle openings.

Any chance of a pic? Where did you find out about this one?

It'll be the same as the one on the VFR. On the airbox lid, there are two ports - one (at the front of the airbox) that's open all the time, and one that (on the VFR at least) opens at 5K rpm. It has a vacuum hose, and some connection to the neutral switch, so if the bike's in gear, when it reaches the preset revs, the flapper valve opens. Honda say it's "to optomise airflow at lower revs", but the likelihood is that it's there to reduce air-intake noise at low revs to satisfy EPA / EC noise regulations.
If you lift the tank, it's fairly obvious where the flapper valve is - it stands out like dog's balls. Pull the hose off, and plug the end of it with something the right size, such as a ball-bearing (or bend it over and wire it up).
If you want to go the whole hog, you can rip out the whole flapper valve mechanism.
The mod should (as said) reduce snatchiness a little, especially around the revs the flapper valve opens, and will make the air intake a little noiser, so the bike sounds more 'rorty'; even if it doesn't go any faster, it'll sound like it is.

et al
23rd September 2005, 12:39
Thanks for all the info <B>et al</B>, you are the master of <B>el cheapo</B> mods. Although going into Repco or Supercheap Auto must be a big change from the $2 Shop I reckon; are you okay (pt)?
The best & naffest el cheapo mod I have come up with so far is my bar end caps, but I am not ready to share that with everyone yet!
As for the airbox mod: I saw that on a Hornet forum somewhere, will see if I can find it again.

et al
23rd September 2005, 12:43
Pretty much like what vifferman said but is easier on the Hornet because you just have to remove the left side cover to get at the airbox.

Groins_NZ
23rd September 2005, 16:28
Pretty much like what vifferman said but is easier on the Hornet because you just have to remove the left side cover to get at the airbox.

SWEET, cheers <B>Vifferman</B> and <B>et al</B>, I'll investigate when I get home tonight.
<BR>
<BR>

et al
23rd September 2005, 21:03
Here is the link to a site which has info and a picture for the airbox mod:
http://www.919.org/flap.htm
Check out the other Hornet stuff from here: http://members.lycos.co.uk/sweepyuk/

Avignon
23rd September 2005, 21:17
The exhaust stash can is a good idea. As for the rest of the cans, some look cool some look uncool, I must say I prefer the carbon jobbies with a black bike, not sure I prefer the price though. Havent been able to contact my fabricating mate yet. Stay tuned.

et al
23rd September 2005, 21:37
Looking at the various after market exhausts here: http://www.919.org/exhaust.htm - in my opinion I reckon Honda did an excellent job styling wise and the standard ones are my pick for looks side & rear. Of course if it is noise you are after then looks are not so important. I recall reading some time ago (in a Pommie bike mag I think) that they tried various after market exhausts and could not get any performance improvement, but again if noise is what you are after then who cares as long as it does not stuff up the power delivery.

Groins_NZ
23rd September 2005, 21:51
Here is the link to a site which has info and a picture for the airbox mod:
http://www.919.org/flap.htm
Check out the other Hornet stuff from here: http://members.lycos.co.uk/sweepyuk/

Hhhhmmm didn't get round to looking at the 'Flapper' tonight but I reckon if I disconnect the hose from the vaccum switch my Scott Oiler will stop working?

Not having looked at the mechanism is it possible just to disabled the 'Flapper' so it stays open all the time - guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Ciao

Groins_NZ
24th September 2005, 23:36
I looked at the vaccum switch/flapper in the airbox today. I see what you mean... I was able to disconnect it no problem without interferring with the Scott Oiler (runs off manifold vaccum).

I went for a ride up to Palmerston North and didn't notice any difference though so I reckon I'll reconnect it.

Avignon
29th September 2005, 14:20
Im going for a pipe for the noise. I know that Pipes wont make any real difference in performance because the Hornet is designed for low to mid range grunt and peak performance figures are measured at the top of the rev range. Kiwirider magazine did a couple of micron cans on a longtermer, with dynojet, filter etc, they got a whopping 1.34hp improvement at the back wheel, hardly worth the cost if your after a performance boost, but I could handle a bit more throat/purposeful exhaust note.

skelstar
29th September 2005, 14:24
I got beaten off the lights the other day by a Golf GTi....the old Golf not the new one. He was def trying but I was a bit dissapointed. Next set of lights a Hornet 919 goes through heading the other direction. Omen I reckon (see my other 'ride a 919 like a Nana' thread).

So...was it you? heading South through Ngauranga Gorge at about 7:20am each morning?

Groins_NZ
29th September 2005, 16:22
I got beaten off the lights the other day by a Golf GTi....the old Golf not the new one. He was def trying but I was a bit dissapointed. Next set of lights a Hornet 919 goes through heading the other direction. Omen I reckon (see my other 'ride a 919 like a Nana' thread).

So...was it you? heading South through Ngauranga Gorge at about 7:20am each morning?

Who me? Because if you're asking, then yeah that could well be me.
<BR>
<BR>

Avignon
29th September 2005, 18:14
I got beaten off the lights the other day by a Golf GTi....the old Golf not the new one. He was def trying but I was a bit dissapointed. Next set of lights a Hornet 919 goes through heading the other direction. Omen I reckon

Mate, Hornets are made for traffic light drags, you dust everything - esp tin tops - without even trying to go fast. First/Second/Third check the mirror - shit they arent even over the intersection yet and your 100m down the road, no kidding. To do the same thing on my gsxr requires serious effort, then again is is an old heavy dinosaur of a bike.

pritch
30th September 2005, 16:52
For 919 goodies check this out:
http://www.kyleusa.com/catalog/honda_919_184477_products.htm

Avignon
30th September 2005, 21:26
For 919 goodies check this out:
http://www.kyleusa.com/catalog/honda_919_184477_products.htm

Nice stuff, I especially like the span adjustable clutch levers. :blip:

Zapf
1st October 2005, 23:42
what do you think of the factory Bridgestone tires that comes with the bike?

et al
2nd October 2005, 00:06
No worries at all with the tyres, I still have the originals on (just under 6000k)so have not had to think about other choices yet. I am not big on worrying about what tyres are better than others - I just ride with what I got. Have you heard anything detrimental about the OEM Bridgestones on this particular bike?

Zapf
2nd October 2005, 01:59
nop... am asking cause there is a plan to upgrade my CB400 to a CB900 :)

Hence asking around really.... just like you having a sports bike and also a nakked.

Gremlin
2nd October 2005, 02:02
nop... am asking cause there is a plan to upgrade my CB400 to a CB900 :)

Hence asking around really.... just like you having a sports bike and also a nakked.
ahh... the source of the sale... no more struggling at my speeds esp when compared to the gixxer eh?

Avignon
2nd October 2005, 17:21
BT56's seem fine. With 2500km on the clock they grip like troopers even in the wet. I've only got slight feathering on the rear from doing a rolling burnout but they seem to grip really well. Apparently according to the marketing schmooze they use dual compound technology, where the compound in the middle in harder to give longer life etc. Still, cornering clearance is such on the Hornet that I havent scraped the pegs yet. Hopefully I'll get to the track soon and explore the grip limits with the bike cranked over on its side, break in the hero knobs on the pegs and my virgin knee sliders. On the road cranked over I have had only one slight slide/wobble once at full throttle in 2nd gear, but it was really, really minor and corrected itself. I stiffened up the rear preload 1 click to 3, 2= std and did the same corner and there was nothing. I also had a minor front end slide under breaking in the wet on Saturday, BUT, State Hwy 22 is a piece of crap in my books, I skated over one of those patches where the chip seal has all broken loose and there is just some sort of shiny seal underneath. Sort of like white lines only half a lane wide, perfect for aquaplaning. Due to the riding position and 120 front end and perhaps the BT56 I felt it all happening and eased off the front brakes, totally controllable. Many others on the ride mentioned similar slip sliding experiences. Overall good tyres and if I get 6000km out of em like Et Al ill be wrapped.

parsley
2nd October 2005, 21:34
How much do you love your Hornet?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-Hornet-Motorcycle-motor-bike-Cross-Stitch-Pattern_W0QQitemZ8208477528QQcategoryZ3092QQssPage NameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Zapf
3rd October 2005, 21:33
ahh... the source of the sale... no more struggling at my speeds esp when compared to the gixxer eh?

well not so much for speed than suspension and bouncing around on the open road... ... Jim2 has a good summing up of the CB400...

its fine around town.

Paul in NZ
4th October 2005, 08:31
I'd like a Hornet as a 2 up bike but....

How would I carry soft luggage with those pipes up there? Is there a luggage kit for it?

Cheers

Avignon
4th October 2005, 11:25
You can get a ventural pack-rack and of course tankbags. You can also hang soft panniers over the pipes. The heat shields over the pipes really work and are remarkably cool to the touch even after hours of use. If you put aftermarket pipes on though, this option will be out due to heat/burning/fire hazzard.

Avignon
4th October 2005, 11:28
FYI People interested in a 05 Hornet. Apparently Honda NZ are now out of stock of these bikes and wont be bringing in anymore until the 06 Bike. The price reduction has really worked and they are flying out the door at most dealerships, its alot of bike for your buck. I'd recommend getting in soon before they are all gone or your stuck with the candyapple version . . . just kidding it looks ok!

et al
4th October 2005, 11:37
.......... now out of stock of these bikes and wont be bringing in anymore until the 06 Bike...............
Do you know what is the story is for the 06 models? I saw a rumour/mock up picture a few months back saying that Honda are going to do a new model with a later Fireblade engine. I guess at very least they will go for usd forks as per the 600.

Groins_NZ
4th October 2005, 12:21

How would I carry soft luggage with those pipes up there? Is there a luggage kit for it?

Cheers

There is a luggage kit I've seen on the Web somewhere. I think I have the URL on my home PC. Watch this space...
<BR>
<BR>

Groins_NZ
4th October 2005, 12:23
Do you know what is the story is for the 06 models? I saw a rumour/mock up picture a few months back saying that Honda are going to do a new model with a later Fireblade engine. I guess at very least they will go for usd forks as per the 600.

Did you see my posting about the 2006 model on page 2, same thread?
<BR>
<BR>

Groins_NZ
5th October 2005, 06:53

Cheers

Here it is <B>Paul</B>, found the link:
TwistedThrottle (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/260)

There's a review/installation article on this page:
Review (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/reviews)
Cheers,
<BR>
<BR>

Avignon
5th October 2005, 21:22
Err, for those of you watching this thread for a while, my friend is in Australia working on some movie. His laser machine is in a shed in New Lynn, locked away, covered, unused, the travesty. :argh:

Groins_NZ
6th October 2005, 11:44
Err, for those of you watching this thread for a while, my friend is in Australia working on some movie. His laser machine is in a shed in New Lynn, locked away, covered, unused, the travesty. :argh:

Members of the 'Hornets Guild' are deeply saddened by this news. We are forced to resort to desperate measures involving the use of tin foil and sheep dung. :(

Avignon
8th October 2005, 20:11
I just saw a pick of the CB1000RR due for release in 2006. CBR1000RR engine, not detuned, in a hornet chasis with underseat exhaust etc and the suspenders off the CBR. I think I might trade my bike in next year. I know some people hate em, but god I love Honda's :not:

skelstar
8th October 2005, 20:18
I just saw a pick of the CB1000F due for release in 2006. CBR1000RR engine, not detuned, in a hornet chasis with underseat exhaust etc. I think I might trade my bike in next year. I know some people hate em, but god I love Honda's :not:
Any chance of a piccy?

Avignon
8th October 2005, 20:28
I saw it in a some mag at motomail today, dont remember the mag think it was AMCN but it was a real factory pre-production bike not a mock up. It was the CB1000RR not the F as I originally recalled. Im trying to find a pic, but its difficult because the fireblade is designated the cb1000rr in some countries. Will post if/when I find one, or I might have to buy the mag and scan the pic in.

skelstar
8th October 2005, 21:14
I saw it in a some mag at motomail today, dont remember the mag think it was AMCN but it was a real factory pre-production bike not a mock up. It was the CB1000RR not the F as I originally recalled. Im trying to find a pic, but its difficult because the fireblade is designated the cb1000rr in some countries. Will post if/when I find one, or I might have to buy the mag and scan the pic in.
ahhh...thought you meant new Hornet. nevermind :).

Avignon
8th October 2005, 21:30
This is not the bike I was talking about, this one is the cbf1000 and uses a detuned cbr1000rr engine and has a half fairing. The bike I saw looks similar to a hornet. Still searching.

skelstar
8th October 2005, 21:32
This is not the bike I was talking about, this one is the cbf1000 and uses a detuned cbr1000rr engine and has a half fairing. The bike I saw looks similar to a hornet. Still searching.
That looks like a Kawak 750S.

Zapf
8th October 2005, 23:13
Colour reminds me of my SV650S

Zapf
8th October 2005, 23:24
Found a few nice bike pics... nothing of the CB1000RR yet thou.

New Katana (http://blog.bikerszone.main.jp/images/d050929e.jpg)

06 FZ1N (http://blog.bikerszone.main.jp/images/2006_FZ1-N_Visual2_tcm26-90417.jpg)

06 FZS1000 (http://blog.bikerszone.main.jp/images/2006_FZS1000_Visual_tcm26-87400.jpg)

GSR600 on road (http://blog.bikerszone.main.jp/images/7032512.jpg)

Can someone tell me the tank range of the fuel injected CB900 Hornet? tkns

Groins_NZ
9th October 2005, 09:55
Can someone tell me the tank range of the fuel injected CB900 Hornet? tkns

I get 240 ish before the warning light comes on, depending on how I ride. Then you've got something like 35-40Km left on reserve.

Although the other night the warning light came on at 242Km. I had just left work, it was raining and I had to go to Stokes Valley to look at a house - didn't want to stop for gas and rip all my rain gear off again. Left Stokes Valley thinking I'd fill up round the corner from home at the Pauatahanui station but turned out they were closed so I was forced to fill up next morning @ 287Km. So there you go 45Km on reserve!?

Anyone else done more than that on a whole tank?
<BR>
<BR>

Avignon
9th October 2005, 20:43
I'm getting between 200 & 220 before the light comes one, but I only ride in the country on weekends and I dont use partial throttle much.

Im going to buy that mag tomorrow with the fireblade engined naked then post the pic tomorrow night, stay tuned.

stevedee
9th October 2005, 21:28
Hey I thought I might remind you of the premo streetfighters the z1000 and z750. Funny they never get considered in discussions here and in US but they are one of the most popular bikes in Europe and loved in Italy of all places. Apparently the z750 is in the top 10 sold bikes in Aus?

spd:-)

skelstar
9th October 2005, 21:56
Hey I thought I might remind you of the premo streetfighters the z1000 and z750. Funny they never get considered in discussions here and in US but they are one of the most popular bikes in Europe and loved in Italy of all places. Apparently the z750 is in the top 10 sold bikes in Aus?
spd:-)
Thats true but its far from every bike getting a fair mention on this site.
I have had a sit on a Z1000 before but found it very upright but im sure you can change the bars a little...(I know thats the point of s-fighters).

et al
9th October 2005, 22:11
Sounds like this is what I was thinking of a couple of pages back in this post and I assumed this was to be the ’06 Hornet however Groins put me right about that. The new model I was alluding to was on front cover of AMCN June15-28 (and was covered briefly on page 4 of that AMCN). It talked about having a “full power” CBR1000RR power plant” in a naked chassis which to me looked like a photo shop mock up based on the Hornet – sounds like an exciting concept though, I hope we will see it at some stage soon.

Zapf
10th October 2005, 16:36
thats becaseu the Z750 and Z1000's are so much cheaper on Aussy....

Like 10k or less for a Z750 and around 12k for a Z1000

Zapf
13th October 2005, 00:35
can someone who has a 05 CB900F tell me what sort of suspension adjustments are available? Thanks

Avignon
13th October 2005, 11:19
Rebound & Preload Front & Rear. :2thumbsup

Avignon
17th October 2005, 21:22
After a 692km return ride over 2 days (see opononi afternath thread) i must say the Hornet is a joy to ride. Doing 220k down a straight I saw gixxer riders just infront of me catapulted out of their saddles over a series of bumps/bridges as the honda just soaked it up. It was a pain having to break mid corner as some of them wobbled and braked mid corner (especially on the Sunday). It was also surprising how may times people came up to me and said how fast the hornet was/is etc. Dont people know what 919cc fireblade derived engine and 189kg means? :headbang:

Zapf
24th October 2005, 19:36
Quote from http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-news/2006-honda-motorcycles.htm

CBF1000 ABS
This all-new touring sports model features a water-cooled, 4-stroke, in-line, 4-cylinder, 1000cc engine based on CBR1000RR engine technology. Including both Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) and an air injection system, the CBF1000 offers exceptionally smooth riding from low to high rpm ranges. In addition, its adjustable seat matches the rider for extra riding comfort.

Compliant with the European Union’s Euro 3 emission standards and including a Combined Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) as standard on some types, the CBF1000 offers top-level environmental and safety performance. Produced by Honda subsidiary Honda Italia Industriale S.P.A. (Italy), the CBF1000 it will be released in European markets starting in early 2006 with an annual European sales projection of 10,000 units.

Quote from http://www.motorbox.com/Moto/Magazine/Prossimamente/hondacbf1000.html

97hp @ 8'000rpm / torque 97nm @ 6'000rpm

Groins_NZ
24th October 2005, 20:41
Cool - adjustable seat height!?

Zapf
24th October 2005, 23:58
wonders if I should still buy a 900 Hornet... Ermmm

Avignon
25th October 2005, 11:43
Quote from http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-news/2006-honda-motorcycles.htm

CBF1000 ABS
This all-new touring sports model features a water-cooled, 4-stroke, in-line, 4-cylinder, 1000cc engine based on CBR1000RR engine technology. Including both Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) and an air injection system, the CBF1000 offers exceptionally smooth riding from low to high rpm ranges. In addition, its adjustable seat matches the rider for extra riding comfort.

97hp @ 8'000rpm / torque 97nm @ 6'000rpm

This isnt the bike I saw. The current Hornet makes more HP & slightly less torgue than this and that half fairing is damn uguly. The cb1000rr I saw was sexy, not sleepy and had the full heat 150bhp engine :headbang:

skelstar
25th October 2005, 11:43
Just a follow on from the prevous photo of the NEW CBF1000, heres a link to a photogallery of the new bike (I think):
http://motorbikes.tiscali.co.uk/photo/photo.php3?idFoto=916
and another for the original article:
http://motorbikes.tiscali.co.uk/display/visualizzanews.php3?id=23440

Devil
25th October 2005, 11:47
Dont get the CBF1000 confused with any new hornet. In the uk they have a cbf600 and a cb600f Hornet, two different bikes.

skelstar
25th October 2005, 11:48
Actually that CBF1000 looks more like a FZ-1. Not at all in the same vein as the CB900 Hornet at all. I wouldnt buy one.

zadok
25th October 2005, 12:12
That pic looks great, Zapf. Nice looking bike and colour. With shaft drive, I reckon it would be the bees knees.

Zapf
25th October 2005, 22:03
So whats wrong with the 900 Hornet's frame? it it going to handle funny / shit when I start riding it fast?

Lou Girardin
26th October 2005, 07:20
It's not a Gixxer, but it's not far behind. And it'll probably be quicker in the really tight stuff.

Avignon
9th November 2005, 19:57
05 HORNET Forsale $8000

Hi everyone, Im moving to Oz so Im selling my bike. 3000km on the clock so I'll take $3000 off the price of a new bike and sell for $8000. Can transfer the balance of the 2 year unlimited factory warranty to the new owner, thats 21 months. This has been one of the best/most fun bikes I have ever owned and Im going to get another one when I get to Oz. Full specs at the top of this thread and more details on the online trading thread.
Private message me for contact details. :wavey:

Zapf
11th November 2005, 11:40
Screens

Any ideas who other than GIVI / Honda does a screen for the CB900 Hornet?

skelstar
11th November 2005, 11:48
Screens

The screen of the Buell M2 is quite trick. Eurodave might be the one to talk to about this type of thing. Ill try and find a piccy and post it.

[edit] here it is: http://www.919.org/flys.htm

Devil
11th November 2005, 15:26
Screens

I had a look around for a while when I was looking at Hornets but it seemed that the Honda flyscreen was the only one that didnt look shit.

Groins_NZ
11th November 2005, 16:10
I've got a National Cycle F-18 Fairing but it's been a bloody mission to get it and I'm still waiting for them to supply the correct mounting hardware.

Screen took 8 weeks to get to me and it's been another 4 so far and I haven't heard diddly squat from the supplier about the brackets, etc.

I'll be sending another irate email tonight!

Zapf
11th November 2005, 21:55
I've got a National Cycle F-18 Fairing but it's been a bloody mission to get it and I'm still waiting for them to supply the correct mounting hardware.

Screen took 8 weeks to get to me and it's been another 4 so far and I haven't heard diddly squat from the supplier about the brackets, etc.

I'll be sending another irate email tonight!

ouch... what an experience.... might have to start making my own with coke bottles now :)

Groins_NZ
16th November 2005, 07:00
05 HORNET Forsale $8000

Hi everyone, Im moving to Oz so Im selling my bike. 3000km on the clock so I'll take $3000 off the price of a new bike and sell for $8000. Can transfer the balance of the 2 year unlimited factory warranty to the new owner, thats 21 months. This has been one of the best/most fun bikes I have ever owned and Im going to get another one when I get to Oz. Full specs at the top of this thread and more details on the online trading thread.
Private message me for contact details. :wavey:

Going over for work Avignon or evading the law :) ?

Have you sold the bike yet?

Anyway, best of luck with whatever comes ahead.

Cheers,
M.

Raven
20th November 2005, 09:17

Yeah! The Blackbirds have the best mirrors I have ever seen on a bike which I think has a lot to do with having no long shaft to exagerate any vibration. The minus is having to move your arm as they are so short but what's going to catch a Bird.

Zapf
3rd January 2006, 11:51
Update... Hornet 900

-Mirrors... no complains about the factory mirrors they would ok when I needed them.

-Fuel range... around 250~270km before reserve light comes on (250 if riding hard or 270 if soft) use around 6L/100km and has a 19L tank so should do just over 300km

Kendog
16th January 2006, 20:39
Now that I have seen the light and got me a Hornet :yeah: thought I would add some comments.

Mirrors - I agree, factory ones work pretty well (for round mirrors) I did paint them black so they blend with the bike better.

Screen - honda screen was already on the bike, but was a smokey brown colour :puke: So painted this black as well, looks pretty good now.

Flapper mod - did this yesterday, I think the bike is a little louder. Haven't been for a decent ride yet to see if there is any perfrmance difference.

Radiator cover - I got some wire screen material (like fly screen) from Mitre 10, painted it black (loving that can of spay paint) and tied it on with some black ties. Can only see it if you look really close up and will keep the bugs off the radiator.

Seat height - looking at options for lowering the bike so the other half can ride it, justs needs to drop by about an inch. So far I have heard about an aftermarket shock from the US and carving foam out of the seat. Am also keeping my eyes open on E-Bay and Hornets nest (great site).

Indicators - got to get me some smaller ones :yes:

Riding the bike - The best part. Really enjoying myself :headbang:

et al
16th January 2006, 20:51
The standard indicators are indeed just way too big. I put Oxford arrow shaped ones on mine - got them from Sawyers, cost $60 a pair I think it was.

sparrow_34
16th January 2006, 21:08
I put Buell Firebolt indicators on Mine. They are about $12 an indicator. They look alot better than the huge stock blinkers. They come with a 10watt bulb, whereas the Hornets are 15w. What I did was take out the orange inner lens from the Buell indicators and replace the clear 10w bulbs with 15w silver coated orange globes. The fronts swap out easily, on the rear I had to cut the existing indicator wires and put on connectors, but it is a piece of Piss.
Here are a couple of Pics from a ride.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20877&d=1133077597

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20855&d=1133074087

skelstar
16th January 2006, 21:28
Interesting. I was wondering if anyone had done this headlight mod in NZ. Buell XB12S headies?

sparrow_34
16th January 2006, 21:36
They aren't off a Buell. I got them from here.

http://asiapac.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/streetworks?productID=87&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=25

I have had them on the bike for about a year or so now.

skelstar
16th January 2006, 21:43
Ah yeah. No probs with fitting them between the brackets?

skelstar
16th January 2006, 21:44
Oh, meant to ask: no probs with the USA light pattern shining right instead of left (NZ light pattern)

sparrow_34
16th January 2006, 21:53
No worries getting them into the existing bracket, just had to loosen off the bolts a bit. Don't know about the left or right pattern thing, they point the way the handlebars are pointing :slap: They came from Hong Kong.

Groins_NZ
17th January 2006, 08:52
It's great how you can easily modify the Hornet as you see fit - a very 'mod-centric' bike (whatever that means ;) ) and lots of sites on the Internet where you can order stuff from.

Regarding the seat lowering - I too had read about fitting different shocks, do you have to do both the front and rear to keep the bike handling as designed. Fairly expensive refit though aye!?

Seat height - looking at options for lowering the bike so the other half can ride it, justs needs to drop by about an inch. So far I have heard about an aftermarket shock from the US and carving foam out of the seat. Am also keeping my eyes open on E-Bay and Hornets nest (great site).

Didn’t think there was much foam in the stock seat to take out as I remember but I’m sure an upholsterer could put in some better foam to compensate. Before I got my Corbin seat I was going to get something done through this outfit which had some nice looking examples Trimit (http://www.trimit.co.nz/). They can remodel and I’m pretty sure the guy who emailed me said they use a high quality, dense foam. Just a shame they are in Tauranga but if you need to send your seat away then give me a yell as I still have my stock seat which you could borrow.

Kendog
18th January 2006, 16:29
Didn’t think there was much foam in the stock seat to take out as I remember but I’m sure an upholsterer could put in some better foam to compensate. Before I got my Corbin seat I was going to get something done through this outfit which had some nice looking examples Trimit (http://www.trimit.co.nz/). They can remodel and I’m pretty sure the guy who emailed me said they use a high quality, dense foam. Just a shame they are in Tauranga but if you need to send your seat away then give me a yell as I still have my stock seat which you could borrow.

Awsome, thanks Groins, may take you up on this.
I contacted them and they say they can lower the seat using better foam :2thumbsup
Now comes the decision, do I go for a nice long ride up there or send by courier, I know which one I would rather do if I had the time....

BTW
It was a reluctant decision not to buy your leathers as they are so damn good. But I need the money to lower the seat.

et al
14th February 2006, 21:27
I am seriously considering getting after market exhausts for the Hornet now - mainly just to give it a bit of character. I have seen the various links earlier in this post and know there are a lot of options. Also read recently in Rapid magazine where they have a Micron set fitted to their long termer/project Hornet and they claim good weight saving and horsepower increase (although untested). I am not too worried about whether any can gives better Horsepower than another - I am just looking for something that sounds hornier and the weight saving is useful as I find the Hornet has a lot of weight up top and being old and a short arse I always worry about it getting the better of me when I am rolling it in/out of garage etc. As far as looks go I don't think anything I have seen so far tops the original pipes so I am just going to forget about that aspect, although that is one reason why I fancy the Microns over others at the moment. I have sent off an enquiry to Neptune asking if they can do Hornet cans - we (sons and I) have got several pipes off Mark over the years and I prefer to give him the business if he can do it, otherwise I will make enquiries with my favorite local bike shops regarding getting me the Microns. Will let you know how I get on, any advice will be appreciated in the meantime.

skelstar
14th February 2006, 21:47
Has anyone tried a 'bafflectomy'? Will get link if interested.
Talked to Mark on Friday re: Hornets et al. Just incase he mentions it; discussed the single side can option.

et al
14th February 2006, 22:15
Thanks - re the 'bafflectomy': I have seen the link about that being done with the Hornet, and I know Mark can/and has done it (with Ducati pipes anyway) but I want to preserve the original pipes as-is so unless I could get a spare set for the butchering then not an option fo me. Not sure I would like the single pipe option as I think twin high rise pipes suit the bike - the post from Groins NZ showing the 2Bros "Stash" pipes was a unique way to do it though.

Zapf
14th February 2006, 23:28
I have replaced the factory pipes with pipes by Custom chambers... and got them to put the factory heat shields back on for the looks.

So they sound nice and look factory.... all good. Pitty they won't do it again, as it was lots of work mounting up the factory heat shields I was told.

I have see the bike without the exhaust under the tail section and can confirm that it looks great without the under seat exhaust and should look great with a single can down the right side. In fact if I ever change my exhaust again that will be the my choice.

skelstar
15th February 2006, 07:24
I can confirm that Zapf's pipes do sound good. Mark at Neptune reckoned that the single exhaust option would cost about $550. Bit better than $1200-1300 (Im a tight-arse).

et al
15th February 2006, 20:25
I have heard back from Mark (Neptune) and will get him to do me a set. The single pipe option makes sense in many respects because it removes a lot of excess plumbing and weight from the bike, and takes less weight out of your wallet - but for me I like the styling of the twin high rise/underseat pipes so am going with that. Will be interesting to compare the differences noise and styling wise etc between our bikes if you go ahead with the single pipe option.

skelstar
15th February 2006, 20:59
You should get him to take a good photo of your bike with the pipes off. Id be keen to see what it looks like.

Kendog
15th February 2006, 21:48
I would like to replace the exhausts for the same reasons. Will be interested to see how the Neptunes turn out as I have heard nothing but good feedback about them.

Zapf
15th February 2006, 21:54
I think a single pipe sized to suit a sports 600 would be about right... similar power out put. Just need to get a mandural pipe made up for the connection. It can be mounted off the factory pipe bracket.

Re the mount, it'll be best if they can also fit a rubber mount for the pipe. As that isolates the vibration from the mono tube back bone frame.

skelstar
15th February 2006, 21:58
Apparently Neptune have a 'computer controlled mandrel machine'. Well I was impressed.

Zapf: the single pipe...do you mean under the seat or down low?

Zapf
16th February 2006, 10:31
Apparently Neptune have a 'computer controlled mandrel machine'. Well I was impressed.

Zapf: the single pipe...do you mean under the seat or down low?

down low... follows how a sports bike would normally run its exhaust. But have to make sure it doesn't reduce clearence

Groins_NZ
16th February 2006, 12:38
Nice avatar 'skelstar' and congratulations on the purchase.

Wish I had some spare $ for some more exhaust note 'character', alas, I'll have to wait - South Island tour coming up soon! I want to get my suspension sorted before an exhaust mod though, either of which may well not happen?

I don't really know what the stock exhausts sound like except from inside my helmet. Some reviews say it's a substantial 'bark' but I wouldn’t mind being behind another Hornet when the throttles’ opened up at around 6500Rpm… so we need a Hornet Swarm Vest (or something)! Anyone up for swarming over to the coast via Wainuiomata tonight?

Zapf
16th February 2006, 13:45
so we need a Hornet Swarm Vest (or something)! Anyone up for swarming over to the coast via Wainuiomata tonight?

I do have the idea of heading to Wellington for a weekend with skelstar's invite.

Groins... does your bike have the 2 way adjustment front and rear? if so I am happy to send u my suspension settings, as I have had it setup by guy in Cycletreads.

Groins_NZ
16th February 2006, 14:40
Thanks Zapf that would be cool - how much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking?

Kendog
16th February 2006, 18:53
down low... follows how a sports bike would normally run its exhaust. But have to make sure it doesn't reduce clearence

Isn't one of the good things about the Hornet the twin underseat exhaust. At least I think it is. Looks good when you are following one on the road :Punk:

Groins_NZ
16th February 2006, 20:37
I see I'm going to have to update my avatar.

Kendog
16th February 2006, 20:46
skelstar inspired me :whistle:

skelstar
16th February 2006, 21:39
I am quite inspirational...
Another cool thing about the Hornet is the thin seat. Would look fanastic, but yet to see a good piccy of it.

nptnz is watching! :)

Zapf
17th February 2006, 09:45
Thanks Zapf that would be cool - how much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking?

not at all... body weight ~75kg

Groins_NZ
17th February 2006, 10:27
Sweet, that's about what I weigh ;)

skelstar
17th February 2006, 15:50
Just a follow up to the single exhaust thing. I found a decent sized piccy and edited it a bit to get rid of the ugo mudguard.

I imagine that it would heaps better with a bigger can. Perhaps '05 R6 sized but in black with stainless end caps.

Fit flush mount indicators to the rear and visualise.

et al
17th February 2006, 19:12
Just a follow up to the single exhaust thing. I found a decent sized piccy and edited it a bit to get rid of the ugo mudguard.

Nice - I guess one of the good things about the Hornet is that you can do all these different things with them. By the way - I am getting the Neptune pipes for mine next week, so all being well am hoping to have a hornier sounding Hornet ready for the Manfeild track day.

skelstar
17th February 2006, 20:27
Be good to hear them. See you there again :).

Kendog, you coming up? Groins?

Kendog
17th February 2006, 20:54
Be good to hear them. See you there again :).

Kendog, you coming up? Groins?

I really really really want to go, just depends on my sisters house moving.

skelstar
17th February 2006, 20:56
Ah yeah. Forgot we had that convo.

Groins_NZ
17th February 2006, 22:33
Got to save every penny I can for next month - spending 9 days riding around the South Island. Quite keen to have a track day though - I've heard you can pick up a lot of good skills, as well as being a lot of fun.

Kendog
18th February 2006, 08:00

I imagine that it would heaps better with a bigger can. Perhaps '05 R6 sized but in black with stainless end caps.

Fit flush mount indicators to the rear and visualise.

Some examples of what I would love the exhausts on my bike to look like, with the red wheels of course ;)

Groins_NZ
20th February 2006, 20:21
When are you expecting the N-tunes to be ready et al?

Kendog
20th February 2006, 20:28
Nice avatar, I knew you would come up with something good.

The 'needle sweep' is one thing I wish I had on my model.

et al
20th February 2006, 20:32
When are you expecting the N-tunes to be ready et al?
Hopefully have them Thursday, first ride with them will probably be up to Manfeild track day. After I removed the mufflers last night the boys (Gunner & Foz) insisted I start her up to see what she sounds like unmuffled - have to say had quite a nice bark. Suggestions for having a GP style stubby pipe out one side followed but best not to pursue that one!

Groins_NZ
20th February 2006, 20:34
Cheers kendog, I thought it looked a bit tacky but I'm getting used to it now, besides it was the only clean part of my bike at the time. Had to chop out every frame possible and shrink it down to fit under the 60Kb limit.

et al
20th February 2006, 20:37
Don't you mean it looks a bit "tachy"?

pritch
20th February 2006, 22:02
I too had read about fitting different shocks, do you have to do both the front and rear to keep the bike handling as designed.

Hornets ('04 on?) have adjustable front forks so static sag can be matched front and rear. If you beef up the suspension and ride it *really* hard you will then show up the shortcomings of the frame which you otherwise wouldn't notice.

I put an Ohlins on mine because it came available near new at a friendly enough price. I don't ride hard enough to trouble the frame unduly. But then neither do most of you :-)

skelstar
21st February 2006, 07:44
Cripes. After having a look at that solid square beam running dwn the length of my bike, I cant believe there would be any shortcomings in the frame. Still ~190kg being leaned hard into the corners is a lot of force.

Very cool avatar Groins.

pritch
21st February 2006, 19:53
After having a look at that solid square beam running dwn the length of my bike, I cant believe there would be any shortcomings in the frame.

I guess a study of the GSXR1000, R1, CBR1000RR, ZX10 etc(?) might reveal the state of frame development as at early 2006.

I'm not knocking the Hornet, it is excellent, "better than the sum of its parts". BIKE rates both it and the 600 four stars, (VFRs and Blackbirds get three stars...) If you upgrade one aspect, however, you will show up the next weakness. That doesn't just apply to the Hornet, that goes for almost anything.

If it wasn't the frame, it'd be the brakes etc etc.

skelstar
23rd February 2006, 09:58
Have mentioned this in another thread but thought it prudent to put in here as well.

Went and visited Cycleworks yesterday. The guy was a bit dubious about performing the 'bafflectomy' but quoted $150. Bit too much for me as I could tech do it myself...just dont have the tools. He did say that because the cans were ugo under the heatsheilds that he could cut the cans, rip out the internals and put his own stuff in there (presumably exhaust stuff), and patch it up stock like and quoted about $350. Better deal I think.

I got my clear taillight kit from eBay today. Its basically a clear taillight lense, and red bulbs. I thought the bulbs were a bit dim so am in the process of making some LED units that will slot right in. Im an electronics doobie so thisisnt too much of a problem. Will let you know how I get on.

et al
24th February 2006, 21:42
Rode through two tunnels on the way home tonight - sounds awesome (was so excited I forgot to toot thru Mt Vic!). I was worried about how the pipes would look styling wise but pleased to say I reckon from the back it looks soooo sexy - I have no doubt that Quagmire (Sex crazed neighbor of Peter Griffin in Family guy) upon seeing them would say: Alll Right, Giggidy-giggidy-giggidy! Hope to post some pictures in next few days so that you can all see what I mean. Mark from Neptune has done an exceptional job - he is a true craftsman and a pleasure to do business with. These pipes have had absolutely no detrimental effect on fuelling - in fact it feels a lot sharper on the throttle, especially in first gear. True test will be ride to Manfeild for track day tomorrow.

skelstar
27th February 2006, 07:19
Have seen the pipes. Very sexy. I quite like the look of the bigger cans on the bike. Kinda 'chunks up' the rear end a bit.

skelstar
27th February 2006, 07:23
Oh yeah - much of Friday was spent trying to sort out my clear taillights. The red bulbs supplied were a little inadequate so I got some high intensity LEDs and kinda made a circuit board that goes across the two bulb sockets inside the taillight. It required the destruction of two bulbs and the wiring of the filaments onto the board. As I am an electronics engineer I have the luxury of being able to mill out circuit boards on a milling machine. Not sure if I have made it bright enough yet, so might order some more LEDs and have another go.

Kendog
27th February 2006, 09:57
Hey Skelstar, after looking at your tail-light while it was parked up, thought 'Yeah, looks cool', but then saw it while you were riding it, and now my impression is 'That looks farkin hot!!' It's awesome dude, nice job! :niceone:
Mrs KD

skelstar
27th February 2006, 09:58
Why thanks. Put it down to my work paying for a day and a half of labour getting the farking LEDs right. It needs more though. Im thinking of going SMD next....

HenryDorsetCase
27th February 2006, 11:28
pleased I found this thread. will review in detail tonight.

lot of bike for $11k !!

et al
27th February 2006, 20:51
Here are some pictures of my Hornet with the Neptune mufflers. As you can see it gives the backend a real different look, and also opens up the side view. Also sounds awesome, and she seems to rev a lot more freely and cleanly right through the rev range - gave it a good workout at Manfeild Track Day on Saturday.

DrHook
27th February 2006, 21:54
et al, couldn't help but drool over the Neptunes...they look and sound just great!

skelstar
28th February 2006, 07:43
THey did sound good (and look good). Would prefer something a tad louder (dont have an italian girlfriend).

Groins_NZ
28th February 2006, 11:34
Nice et al.

So how much did you shell out in the end?

I'm off my Horny for 28 days - yes 28 days! Got snapped Sunday night on the Raumati Straight just before dark.

skelstar
28th February 2006, 11:52
Ouch. Was that because of demerits or just instant removal of licence?

et al
28th February 2006, 12:22
I like the way the Neptunes don't get incrementally louder as you open the throttle - am pretty much over loud pipes myself (my Ducati has standard ones by the way), although I enjoy listening to them on other people's bikes.
And Mr Skelstar aka Mad Butcher: if you ever do get an Italian girlfriend please promise me you will not go near her with your blunt bread-knife, chainsaw, or whatever it was you used on your Hornet's rear guard!

skelstar
28th February 2006, 12:40
Nice.:)
I intend to replace the whole assembly with a nice powdercoated slim bracket...as soon as I get some decent Buell aftermarket indicators.

Groins_NZ
28th February 2006, 13:51
Ouch. Was that because of demerits or just instant removal of licence?

142Km/hr

10 chars

skelstar
28th February 2006, 13:53
What!!!! That sucks. Presumably in a 100 zone eh?

Groins_NZ
28th February 2006, 14:03
Yeah, 100Km zone - Raumati Straights.

Groins_NZ
28th February 2006, 14:07
Worst thing is, besides the nice fine, is that I can't leave for my South Island trip with the rest of the group. By the time I can legally ride they will be two days ahead of me :-(

skelstar
28th February 2006, 14:22
Its an awkward subject but I suppose youre lucky you got caught when you did.

Groins_NZ
28th February 2006, 14:30
Hey your right because just around corner I was doing 190 :Police:

I can see the value of having a radar now...

Oh and I don't normally go so fast, honest.

God: this is off topic - should remove these posts out of here.

skelstar
28th February 2006, 14:32
Dude, I feel your pain. Well actually I dont but....
I guess theres places to speed and places you dont.;)

Lemmy guess...was it heading South just as you go past Poplar Ave (the very last turn off to the right)? He was sitting down in the ditch.

Or maybe just before that.

Groins_NZ
28th February 2006, 14:48
Yip, he was in the ditch and damn, I know they do that, but I was having a 'non-thinking' moment or two.

skelstar
1st March 2006, 07:43
Bought some Buell indica...I mean 'turn signals' yestreday arvo. $27 each (ouch-ish) but look real nice. Smoked lenses, with orange inserts. Sorely tempted to LED-it...maybe at a later date. So the 'butcher' might have a go at making the guard-eliminator this afternoon.

I also ordered the Buell headlight, and bracket. About $200 for that arrangement. Not too shabby. I have some wiring instructions for the mod and it looks tricky, but Im sure I can manage it.

Kendog
1st March 2006, 17:33
Can you post a pic of the indicators when you have them on?

And where did you get them from?

Cheers

skelstar
2nd March 2006, 07:45
Made and tested my fender eliminator yesterday. Its butt ugly (worse than I feared) and wobbles alot. Im going to have to do a re-design. I'll take a piccy when I get the assembly sorted.

Wellington Motorcycles. They had heaps in stock. Its certainly not going to bolt on standard, and make sure you get the nuts to match the unit. I had to tap my own.

HenryDorsetCase
9th April 2006, 14:25
So my Hornet has just under 1000 km on it, and I have created "the list"

first the disclaimers: I am short with correspondingly short inseam, and weigh about 10 or 72kg ready to ride (155 pounds say).

I really really like this bike (black 05 model Hornet 919) and the dealer I got it from.

I am happy with the power (oh yeah!! :rockon: ) and most of my mods will make the thing go a bit better for me:

First is the shock: its waaaay oversprung for me, and apparently not rebuildable. I have spoken to Robert Taylor at Northwest motorcycles about Ohlins and there are two options, both reasonable price (for Ohlins...) it depends on how much adjustability I want, and whether I go for a "lower the seat height option"

Second will be fork springs: just getting an appropriate rate for my bodyweight and after that if required maybe some gold valve emulators or whatever.

I am going to change out the 'bars for a slightly higher, wider MX bar. (I have short arms too.... so a higher bar should rock me back a bit.

after that, and if it needs it, get either a corbin (Blummee they are expensive) seat or get the stocker re-cut and with better foam.

the other thing will be a top box with backrest for when its two-up.

Thats it, thats all i HAVE to do.

the supplementary list is things I MIGHT do:

I have a couple of (fugly) bikini fairings but might go the flyscreen route. a Ducati one is quite nice, and making some brackets shouldnt be too hard, and the one that skelstar sent me with the buell lights and screen is gorgeous.

If I get carried away, I will maybe do the baffle ectomy or get some Neptune pipes or something, and maaaaybe a PC3 and airbox but honestly its any amount quick enough, and certainly waay fast enough for an unfaired bike.

Interesting discussion on Bridgestone tyres above, mine came with Michelin Hi Sports (embarrassingly still with yard wide chicken strips).

I intend to do the "must do" stuff over winter as cash allows, but I reckon come next summer, I will be flying, on a bike that will owe me about $15k, will go as quick as I need to go, handle very well, and which hasnt broken the bank.

Bloody great bike, and bought after research on Kiwi Biker. cant ask for better than that.

skelstar
10th April 2006, 09:27
Good stuff. Talk to Kendog about Ohlins lowering solutions. They (Mr and Mrs) have just done the mod to their bike a couple of weeks ago (I think).

Kendog
10th April 2006, 12:33
Hi there,

I think you may have sent us an email. We will reply with details of the shock and seat modification soon. Our Internet at home is not working at the moment :no:

HenryDorsetCase
10th April 2006, 12:48
yep, that was me. No trouble and thanks for the response.

Groins_NZ
29th June 2006, 21:44
CB 900 Hornet naked race bike... (http://www.mcnews.com.au/Riders/StevenFisher/2002_Hornet.htm)

Dak
29th July 2006, 12:13
Speaking of these, I'm looking at one, but with the local dealer here not having one I can ride, how are they for the larger person?? I'm 6'1" and about 120kg.

Cheers, Jeff.

Groins_NZ
1st August 2006, 18:23
Dowman Honda don't have a CB900 Hornet to ride??

Zapf
1st August 2006, 19:13
Ermm yummy

WickedOne
11th August 2006, 16:20
Ermm yummy

:cry: I also want one!!!!!!

skelstar
15th August 2006, 14:33
I have to charge my battery tonight (dead flat), and the last time I tried to get to my battery I was having a bit of grief. Anyone got any tips getting it out?

I will remove the side cover but I seem to remember that despite detaching the rubber strap that holds it in, that the wiring was kinda holding it in.

Any ideas? Cheers.

Kendog
15th August 2006, 17:17
I have to charge my battery tonight (dead flat), and the last time I tried to get to my battery I was having a bit of grief. Anyone got any tips getting it out?

I will remove the side cover but I seem to remember that despite detaching the rubber strap that holds it in, that the wiring was kinda holding it in.

Any ideas? Cheers.

I had to remove the battery a few times when I got mine. It looked like the wires were holding it in but it pulled out fine.
Getting it back in takes a bit of patience however.

skelstar
15th August 2006, 17:46
Yeah, managed to wrench it out enough to get clips onto it. A bit dodgy though.

merv
15th August 2006, 18:29
I have to charge my battery tonight (dead flat), and the last time I tried to get to my battery I was having a bit of grief.

What is up with your bike? You are the guy that averages zillions of kms a day, the battery should not go flat. It is only guys like me with many bikes who only rides them occasionally that needs a battery tender even.

skelstar
15th August 2006, 18:36
Dammit, no-one was supposed to ask.

I managed to leave the bike turned ON when I came home the other night. Even worse: I had to ride my pushbike to work. Nuff said.

merv
15th August 2006, 18:42
I managed to leave the bike turned ON when I came home the other night.

OK I was worried your lovely Honda was giving trouble. It shouldn't happen. Glad it didn't. Have fun.

Zapf
15th August 2006, 22:03
Dammit, no-one was supposed to ask.

I managed to leave the bike turned ON when I came home the other night. Even worse: I had to ride my pushbike to work. Nuff said.

lol... what state were you in? should see the headlights on and all... anyway

I disconnect the earth cable 1st before pulling the battery out of its hoster

skelstar
15th August 2006, 22:25
I dont know mate...I leave the lights on so I can see the lock to lock the bike up. Turned around in an already lit garage, walked out the door, pushed the button.

HenryDorsetCase
28th September 2006, 21:35
So, Ive ordered my new fork springs and new Ohlins shock.

since theres some money left on the CC, and who needs groceries or electric power, I think some Sato Racing frame sliders and some swingarm bobbins are the next purchase

who bought them, and where'd ya geddem from? Online is fine.

Pritch008, I looked at the Givi crash bars, and while Im sure they would be functional, the look of them put me off.

thanks a bunch for heads up!

Zapf
1st October 2006, 22:18
So, Ive ordered my new fork springs and new Ohlins shock.

since theres some money left on the CC, and who needs groceries or electric power, I think some Sato Racing frame sliders and some swingarm bobbins are the next purchase

who bought them, and where'd ya geddem from? Online is fine.

Pritch008, I looked at the Givi crash bars, and while Im sure they would be functional, the look of them put me off.

thanks a bunch for heads up!

nice... they'll transform your hornet :)

now where do I find some Ohlins forks.. $$$$ OUCH.

Matt
2nd October 2006, 08:50
Speaking of these, I'm looking at one, but with the local dealer here not having one I can ride, how are they for the larger person?? I'm 6'1" and about 120kg.

Cheers, Jeff.

They're pretty good, plenty of leg/knee room and seat height isn't too low (although you could always buy an aftermarket one to add height if needed) - standard bars are wide-ish with good mirrors. I'm 6'5" and 110Kgs and was fine...

Matt

Zapf
3rd October 2006, 00:31
for the record, I thought I had an Ohlins shock....

after I have taken up Shaun's suspension service in New Plymouth, after 1/2 hour of his time. The improvement was so good that I thought I had upgraded the shock again!

highly recommended.

FYI, I find that the Hornets gets viby handle bars if your suspension is not setup properly. So if you find that is the case then you know where to look.