PDA

View Full Version : Duty on Helmet

matthewt
25th January 2004, 07:41
Why do we still have a 17% duty on M/C helmets ?? Usually it's to "protect" some local firm, so do we actually have a local manufacturer making helmets ??

I know ages ago we did but can't remember the name.

Jackrat
25th January 2004, 07:56
It's like most taxes,once they are in place they stay there until someone says something about it.
Some thing to talk to BRONZ about.
Maybe they would have an answer or could push the issue.

What?
25th January 2004, 08:39
I believe it is GST these days, and applies to goods with a value over $NZ700, or goods imported for resale.
BUT - I will be checking this with customs soon, so will post the gab from the horses' mouth...

wkid_one
25th January 2004, 08:48
I believe it is $500 isn't it?

I paid GST on the detector which was only $599NZ

PS - KIWI is the local helmet maker

Lou Girardin
25th January 2004, 09:09
I thought Kiwi was Swiss or has it changed? FFM is a NZ brand, isn't it?
Lou

matthewt
25th January 2004, 09:53
The 17% is added to all goods that come into NZ and THEN GST is added on top of that. So in reality it's about 20% extra for the helmets.

The $500 is when you mail-order things in (and it's actually $400). The way it works is that Customs have to recover $50 before they go through the hassle of charging you GST/duty. $500 came from the early days of GST when the GST rate was 10%, now that it's 12.5% the limit drops to $400.

The $700 comes from the limit you are allowed duty free when you enter the country. It doesn't apply for mail-order items so you actually have to bring the item in or prove you got it while you were overseas recently.

I know most of this because I was looking and getting some 1-piece leathers from Oz. If anyone is doing that you should know that leather clothing also has a duty (can't remember the rate) BUT there is a very specific exclusion for M/C leathers. The wording is such that they must have body armour in the shoulders, elbows, knees and be "race-style" however they define that.

Lou, you're right. I did a quick google search on ffm helmets and it appears they are NZ made. I wonder if the 17% is still reasonable given it was probably done years ago and never looked at since. I mean with the safety importance of a good helmet a saving of 20% would put better quality helmets in the hands of those that might not otherwise pay the extra.

NhuanH
25th January 2004, 10:09
Matt,

Here are the specifics of the exemptions:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=2546#post2546

Mooch
25th January 2004, 11:04
Matt ,
Downloaded the lastest Customs Advice pdf the other day. Import duty on Crash Helmets is 32 % , I think GST is then applied making a mark up of 44.5 %. The NZ Brand is HRC which is probably why the Government has a higher duty to protect HRC. Shame really , as they aren't in the high end helmet market and don't need protection from it.
Government should view MC helmets a "saftey device" and drop the duty to something more reasonable.
With cheap airfares at the moment it's cheaper to fly to Sydney , buy a helmet and bring it back on duty free. Something is very wrong for this to occur.

Why do we still have a 17% duty on M/C helmets ?? Usually it's to "protect" some local firm, so do we actually have a local manufacturer making helmets ??

I know ages ago we did but can't remember the name.

matthewt
25th January 2004, 12:53
Matt ,
Downloaded the lastest Customs Advice pdf the other day. Import duty on Crash Helmets is 32 % , I think GST is then applied making a mark up of 44.5 %.

Are you sure about 32% ?? I checked the www site just now and they still say 17%. Now 32% would be depressing !!

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/private+importers/customs+charges.asp

k14
25th January 2004, 13:34
Yeah, i'm just importing some spidi leathers from the US at the moment. They have a 19% duty, but i will be able to get the exemption because it is a "Leather protective suit for motorcycle racing, with rigid plasitic protective inserts fitted for elbow, shoulders and knees" quoted from the duty handbook.

Also there isnt any duty when importing from auzzie, only GST for stuff over $400.

Mooch
25th January 2004, 18:13
Check out page one of the link below , I'm no longer sure about the duty on helmets , but the PDF below has 32 % . Make you wonder if someone hasn't updated the web site correctly. 17 % doesn't sound too bad then.

mooch

http://www.customs.govt.nz/resources/adviceonimportinggoods.pdf

Are you sure about 32% ?? I checked the www site just now and they still say 17%. Now 32% would be depressing !!

What?
25th January 2004, 18:52
FFM is a NZ manufacurer - or rather, assembler of imported components. They used to be full-on manufacturers when they made glass lids. There were once a couple of other helmet makers, too.
HRC is Korean(?).

Thanks for the confusion, Matt. I am e-mailing customs for the definitive answer. Will post the reply whenever it comes.

LB
25th January 2004, 19:23
FFM's used to be made in Waihi - this is going back to the late 70's (of course, I'm FAR too young to know this personally, I was told by a reliable source.....)

What?
25th January 2004, 19:29
FFM's used to be made in Waihi - this is going back to the late 70's (of course, I'm FAR too young to know this personally, I was told by a reliable source.....)
They still are.

Forget the e-mail from customs - the info is all here:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/private+importers/customs+charges.asp
Matt was on the mark. Mooch - you sure you were looking at NZ customs site??

So if the helmet in question cost over $NZ400 (exclusive of freight), it will be +17%, +12.5% and possibly plus another $18.
And it is still HEAPS cheaper from USA than buying here for Shoei or Arai lids.

DEATH_INC.
26th January 2004, 06:21
Yeh,My mate bought a shoei when we were in Aus,$500.....plus $200 on emirates....=$700.....way cheaper than buying one over here..... :buggerd:

What?
26th January 2004, 19:11
Japanese helmets ex USA are way, way cheaper than here. But European hats ex USA are a different story - barely worth the trouble. Quite odd when you think about it...

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 20:48
Yeh,My mate bought a shoei when we were in Aus,$500.....plus $200 on emirates....=$700.....way cheaper than buying one over here..... :buggerd:
What model was the Shoeii? My Z-one was only $650 here.....