PDA

View Full Version : New sprockets

GSeX
4th August 2014, 15:50
Replacing the sprockets on my GSX250 Invader, and the front sprocket listed as being for my bike model is much thinner profile and moves sideways on the shaft about 5-10mm, is this something to worry about. Pics attached, uses circlip instead of nut like some bikes

F5 Dave
6th August 2014, 10:12
Hmm, hard to see from the pics but is the chain area of the teeth the same size? as in it should be say a 520 chain & both sprockets are for the same chain?

Circlip will work fine & is std on some smaller suzukis.

However: that bush that it usually rests up against has a o-ring behind it. You don't want the bush moving away or you may get an oil leak running done between teh bush and the shaft. In fact I haven't see a circlip used with that system before, but clearly it must work. I'd work out where the sprockets are different & make some washers for either or one side depending on the difference. Assuming of course the teeth are the same thickness for the chain as mentioned before.

tjl888
6th August 2014, 20:07
On my '04 GSX250 the sprocket also slides 5-10mm, it was like that when I got it and haven't had any trouble with it so far.
I have had the sprocket off and it doesn't have that strange bush thing on it that the sprocket on the right hand side of the photo you put up has.

GSeX
7th August 2014, 00:37
Yeah it's the same 520 pitch as the chain. Stuck the new sprocket on today and took it for a mean ride no problems, must just be how the GSX is designed