PDA

View Full Version : Airbag for bikes...

ams67
9th September 2005, 09:33
I wonder if it does really help. However it is still a step toward better bikers safety.
http://www.repubblica.it/2003/e/gallerie/scienzaetecnologia/airbagmoto3/airbagmoto3.html

ams67
9th September 2005, 09:37
Ops, I have just noticed that airbag for bikes was also mentioned few posts below among the new 2006 bikes.

Bob
11th September 2005, 08:42
Personally, I'm not sure about airbags on bikes. I worry that instead of sliding along, you'll be thrown away (for which read into the air) - in a much less controlled way than a slide. Unless you're wearing some kind of suit that makes you inflate like the Michelin Man/Pillbury Doughboy (delete as appropriate), I'm concerned you'll come down with a hard - bone breaking - thump.

Of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

James Deuce
11th September 2005, 08:48
Good point Bob. I've always found in front end collisions with something that I have a moment of clarity as I start to pop up over the handle bars. Last thing I want is a bloody great airbag obscuring my view, and potentially removing the choice of which direction I fly, and where I hit.

Bob
15th September 2005, 02:25
I just had to share this with you.

Someone at work left me a copy of an item in Metro (free newspaper handed out at tube stations in London), about the airbag Honda are fitting to the new Goldwing. The bit that makes me laugh?:

"The bag inflates when crash sensors detect a collission, creating a buffer for the rider. The motorbike will hit US showrooms next year."

No, I am NOT making this up!

limbimtimwim
15th September 2005, 09:30
I wonder if it does really help. However it is still a step toward better bikers safety.
http://www.repubblica.it/2003/e/gallerie/scienzaetecnologia/airbagmoto3/airbagmoto3.htmlHow about two wheel drive?

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/motorcycles/competition/WR450F_2trac.jsp

I would love to have a go on one of those.

Looks like it could be road legal. Some road tyres, adjust the suspension.. You'd have quite a machine..

Biff
15th September 2005, 12:31
Bob Picket - the same Bob Picket from Essex with a letter in June's (?) edition of BIKE mag per chance?

bugjuice
15th September 2005, 12:35
it'll make a brilliant accellerant/boost for those already going over the handle bars.. should clear an extra 3 or 4 cars with this airbag in.. *weeeeeeeeee*
forwards or backwards.. depends on how un/lucky you are

Bob
15th September 2005, 19:57
Bob Picket - the same Bob Picket from Essex with a letter in June's (?) edition of BIKE mag per chance?

Yup, that is me. Only I prefer "East London" to "Essex"...

Biff
15th September 2005, 20:35
Yup, that is me. Only I prefer "East London" to "Essex"...

Wooohooo - I know someone famous (ish).

So you don't wear white high heals and dance around your handbag then Sharon?

(The Kiwis here wont understand what on earth I'm talking about!)

bugjuice
15th September 2005, 20:46

So you don't wear white high heals and dance around your handbag then Sharon?

with the XR3i convertible parked in the carprak?

Bob
15th September 2005, 20:55

So you don't wear white high heels and dance around your handbag then Sharon?

You need to get a little closer to Basildon before the white heels and handbag dancing start getting into action!

Thankfully I'm well inside the M25, so far as I'm concerned, I'm London, not Essex (I know if I ride up the M11, I reach a sign that says "Welcome to Essex"... or is that "You're welcome to Essex"? You always know when you get there, as the road surface gets worse...)

inlinefour
15th September 2005, 20:59
I've asked for a rear seat cowl so that she cannot get on with me :devil2: