PDA

View Full Version : bombing range?

Tens
25th January 2004, 18:24
the other weekend up at woodhill i witnessed a convoy of fmx bikes heading out towards the beach while i enjoyed my lunch in the carpark.

half a day later these guys turn up again , so i walked over and began chatting about there wicked looking fmx bikes (shaved seats , grab holes , cut fenders you name it) when they tell me that i should come up to the bombing range with them.

being a cautious person , riding in a bombing range doesnt sound very safe to me but im still bugged about where abouts and what it is.

if fmx guys are going there it must have mean jumps right?

so firefight and others :) , how far up the beach is the bombing range from the park and what is there that seems to attract so many ppl i talk too.

XRNR
25th January 2004, 18:40
Its about 40km's up the beach from the bike park entrance to the top of south head. That's where you will find Lots more sand & dunes & lack of people.

And no! you are not allowed to go there, its defence property. (they might drop a bomb on you from one of the skyhawks that are currently up for sale). Or you might be blown up by some un-exploded ordinance.

Firefight
25th January 2004, 20:05
Its about 40km's up the beach from the bike park entrance to the top of south head. That's where you will find Lots more sand & dunes & lack of people.

And no! you are not allowed to go there, its defence property. (they might drop a bomb on you from one of the skyhawks that are currently up for sale). Or you might be blown up by some un-exploded ordinance.

Most times you can go and have a play, as XRNR stated, its about 40 kms, so watch you gas supply, I normally take extra, when you turn of H/W 16 into Rimmers road, look for a big red flag, if the flags up, whats left of our defence force will be playing with their guns & bombs and things, the B range will be patroled by MPs. you sure as shit can;t go up there then, some good dunes and great natural jumps, my advice would be go with a budy if you go up durning the week, weekends, there are planety of guys there to help you out if you have a problem, also techincally you are not supposed to ride on the beach unless you have a WOF and rego, everyone breaks that law, in the unlikely event you get stopped, tell them you strayed in from the bike park and did not see the signs.. :msn-wink:

firefight. :whistle:

Tens
25th January 2004, 20:37
cheers guys ill tow the trailer up the beach with the ol 4x4 and have a look :Punk:

Firefight
25th January 2004, 20:51
cheers guys ill tow the trailer up the beach with the ol 4x4 and have a look :Punk:

Oh one other thing Tens, watch the tides, unless you are happy to stay up there, a few times people towing trailers have got stuck half way back, after staying too long at the B range.

Firefight. :eek5:

Hoon
26th January 2004, 00:33

We (Army) train up there for some of our live field firing (mosquito infested hole it is!!!). Yeah use to be a Skyhawk range too but not anymore. We get the occasional MXer or civvy come by and just warn them when and where we will be shooting. It's pretty hard to stray into our firing zone though as there are radio sentries posted on all the incoming roads/hilltops ready to shut us down at the first sign of trouble. But yeah if you can't see any army dudes/tents or vehicles you should be clear.

Triki
26th January 2004, 21:42
as far as i know its legal to go in, normally they have flags up when the area is operating, but as you said no worries bout being bombed, but the old huey i think still has rocket launchers on the sides sum times they mite still be using it for that sort of thing, theres a number in the blue pages for the air weps range they would be able to fill ya in. i know craig who used to work at red barron used to go there, he says its pretty mean with a paddle tyre.

WICKEDWIDER
18th November 2004, 09:22
Hi guys well I know the RO of the range and it is illegal to ride in the range at any time as it is jointly owned by DOC and Defence the RO also has an aresst warrent and is happy to use it also the offence you are committing is Defence trespass and it carries a prison sentance. Defence has the right to confoscate your car, wagon and or bike etc. they do not have to even give you the option to purchase the item back from them they havr the right to disspose of it how they feel fit (blowing up is usually a good way). The bombing range is a LIVE FIRING RANGE and you get caught you will be read he riot act.
Before you go and ride out there you need to know that there is live munition (unexploded) out there and the smallest explosive ( 20mm HE head out of the old Skyhawk) has enough charge to put your tyre in your arsehole.

But on the other hand I live within KM's of it so feel free to go there and ride I would like to here the sound of an ingorant prat getting blow up and then all his mates complaining that "we didn't know we wern't allowed in there" so think before you act!!!!
For every action there is a reaction!!!!!

But I would think me posting this is abit like this :brick: