PDA

View Full Version : Bike shuts off mid-motorway - Tach also goes crazy!

francewavidok
14th August 2014, 10:02
Morning peeps!

This is a strange one, as many of you know already - I owns me a Hyobag 250r.

Now the issue I have with it is, I was riding home the other day and the engine decided to shit off and the instrument cluster somewhat reset itself if that makes sense. On another occasion - the bike jerked, almost like elastic being pushed back after being let go (makes little to no sense I know).

I have checked the kickstand switch - not sure if this is it but it appears to be functioning ok, the RPM reading goes crazy and jumps all over the place at times. I don't know if this is related to the engine cutting out.

The chain is as loose as a wizards robe so I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to kill myself or stop riding.

Recently had a new battery as well (a week ago).

francewavidok
14th August 2014, 10:02
Morning peeps!

Now the issue I have with it is, I was riding home the other day and the engine decided to shit off and the instrument cluster somewhat reset itself if that makes sense. On another occasion - the bike jerked, almost like elastic being pushed back after being let go (makes little to no sense I know).

I have checked the kickstand switch - not sure if this is it but it appears to be functioning ok, the RPM reading goes crazy and jumps all over the place at times. I don't know if this is related to the engine cutting out.

The chain is as loose as a wizards robe so I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to kill myself or stop riding.

Recently had a new battery as well (a week ago).

Very similar to the issue this guy is having: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157767

francewavidok
14th August 2014, 10:05
Also, don't know if this helps but I replace the exhaust a while back. While my hand is off the throttle and I'm going downhill - she backfires like a bitch which I love - not sure if this has anything to do with it but worth mentioning.

unstuck
14th August 2014, 10:18
You have a gremlin, those things are a fucker to find. Good luck.:nya::nya::nya:

francewavidok
14th August 2014, 10:39
You have a gremlin, those things are a fucker to find. Good luck.:nya::nya::nya:

I keep looking for the little bastard but I can't find 'em!

unstuck
14th August 2014, 10:42
Niggly little shit like that can drive you mental, but at least you get to know your bike. :yes:

Scouse
14th August 2014, 10:52
Morning peeps!

Recently had a new battery as well (a week ago).I will list your problems

1/ Hyodung

2/ you seem to be clueless (because your happy to run on the motorway with a dangerously loose drive chain

3/New battery

francewavidok
14th August 2014, 11:02
I will list your problems

1/ Hyodung

2/ you seem to be clueless (because your happy to run on the motorway with a dangerously loose drive chain

3/New battery

Counters you Jedi:
1. It's starting to get old - yes it's a Hyodog, bag, bitch - well done for reading the original post

2. Have not ridden it on the motorway since - again - assumptions can be dangerous

3. Read the post - have had a new battery in there

bogan
14th August 2014, 11:18
Yup, electrical gremlins is what you got. Could be the key contacts, I had one like that.

BuzzardNZ
14th August 2014, 11:51
Counters you Jedi:
1. It's starting to get old - yes it's a Hyodog, bag, bitch - well done for reading the original post

2. Have not ridden it on the motorway since - again - assumptions can be dangerous

3. Read the post - have had a new battery in there

Should have got a Shorai ;)

buggerit
14th August 2014, 12:25
Check your battery terminals are tight and clean, and where the cables terminate on the bike are as well.
Also check the cable lugs are well attached to the cables.
Good luck!:bye:

nodrog
14th August 2014, 12:32
Sounds like you need to top up your indicator fluid.

Stirts
14th August 2014, 13:14

:gob: Generally when engines "shit off", you're fucked.

Had it been raining? Water in plugs and or tank? Or fuel tap thing-e-ma-jig is fucked?

Best you tighten it then. That is basic 101 bike maintenance right there, even I have done it, and I'm a girl.

Akzle
14th August 2014, 13:14
I owns me a Hyobag 250r.

well. Theres your problem.

ruaphu
14th August 2014, 13:36
Check all ground/neutral connections are not corroded & plugged in properly. Also check under your seat, there is a few relays under there, make sure they are plugged fully, chuck a zip tie around each one, they are shizen for bad connections.

The exhaust back firing is typical when an after market unit is put on that open things up that allow the engine to breathe, let it be, not the issue here eh.

Get the chain sorted and properly lubed, there is tonnes of u-gube vids that will show ya how to sort it.

Cheers Ando

BigAl
14th August 2014, 13:58
Any ufo's in close proximity?

Gremlin
14th August 2014, 14:08
I object... I had 'nuffin to do with this :oi-grr:

I agree with others and suspect a loose earth, ie, check connections, battery terminals etc.

New batteries can be duds, or the battery isn't getting any charge etc.

I do agree that electrical problems are a real pain

unstuck
14th August 2014, 14:14
Any ufo's in close proximity?

Bound to be, they are everywhere else. If only you had eyes to see them with. :shifty:

unstuck
14th August 2014, 14:15
I object... I had 'nuffin to do with this :oi-grr:

I agree with others and suspect a loose earth, ie, check connections, battery terminals etc.

New batteries can be duds, or the battery isn't getting any charge etc.

I do agree that electrical problems are a real pain

I WAS right about Gremlins being fuckers though. Niggly little fuckers at that.:innocent:

francewavidok
14th August 2014, 14:19
Right - the plan for this weekend then is to get Chain sorted, see if that fixes it - if not look for electrical issues - if that doesn't sort it - clean out carbs. The only reason I don't think it's the carbs is because of the Tach going nuts - unless they are completely unrelated and 2 separate issues :(

Anyone have any experience with bikes and carbs near town?

unstuck
14th August 2014, 14:21
Yep I live in town, shame it is not your CITY.:innocent:

francewavidok
14th August 2014, 14:24
I need a torque wrench to tighten the chain by the looks of the yougubes...

swarfie
14th August 2014, 14:36
I need a torque wrench to tighten the chain by the looks of the yougubes...

Not needed. Just do it up till it strips and back it off a half turn :nya:

buggerit
14th August 2014, 15:24
Right - the plan for this weekend then is to get Chain sorted, see if that fixes it - if not look for electrical issues - if that doesn't sort it - clean out carbs. The only reason I don't think it's the carbs is because of the Tach going nuts - unless they are completely unrelated and 2 separate issues :(

Anyone have any experience with bikes and carbs near town?

Tacho is electrical, and for the tacho to go nuts at the same time as the bike coughs points to electrical.
You had the battery replaced a week ago, makes me think it may be a good place to start looking, hence my previous post.
Either that or your powerband is as lose as your chain , which may explain the elastic thing:blink::innocent:

bogan
14th August 2014, 15:44
Tacho is electrical, and for the tacho to go nuts at the same time as the bike coughs points to electrical.
You had the battery replaced a week ago, makes me think it may be a good place to start looking, hence my previous post.
Either that or your powerband is as lose as your chain , which may explain the elastic thing:blink::innocent:

Maybe his tach is an olde style mechanical one, and his timing chain is as loose as his drive chain :eek:

slofox
14th August 2014, 15:59
Also, don't know if this helps but I replace the exhaust a while back. While my hand is off the throttle and I'm going downhill - she backfires like a bitch which I love - not sure if this has anything to do with it but worth mentioning.

This is probably because there is air getting sucked into the exhaust system somewhere - probably where you joined in the new one.

This would be unrelated to your electricimical problem(s).

Asher
14th August 2014, 16:53
The tach is likely read off the left coil pack. Check it's connections, you could be dropping that cylinder creating both of your problems

caseye
14th August 2014, 16:57
Check yer pm's me ol mate.
An remember, round ere give as good as you get.

Rhys
14th August 2014, 18:16
My money is on bad battery connection or earth

ruaphu
15th August 2014, 06:00
Leave the carbs alone, there fiddly feckers to play with, if ya not familiar with them you'll only introduce another set of issues to fix. Go get ya self some fuel treatment stuff, and run it through, may have to do it a few times if the bike has been sitting about for sometime.

As the others have said, check the battery connections as first stop, then the other connections. Cheers eh

p.dath
15th August 2014, 21:25
+1 to electrical issue. Check battery, regulator/rectifier and stator .

FJRider
16th August 2014, 14:21

The wrong colour Powerband might cause those issues ... :shifty:

Shit in the fuel might too ...

Swap the Hyo for a few packets of M & M's ... and get a Yamaha. (problem sorted)

ducatilover
17th August 2014, 18:53
As said start at the battery and then go to the starter relay and clean all the connections there
Hyobags tend to shit ignition switch contacts too. I've dumped a Suzuki ignition switch in the one I picked up.

Backfiring is the bike running lean, check the exhaust has no leaks, but if you have a wank exhaust on it, it'll need jetting, common jetting is to go up one size for just the muffler, so swap the jet from the rear cylinder (97.5 I think) in to the front and buy one #100 for the rear. Make sure you get Mikuni jets, Dynopro, Factory pro, Keihin etc all use different numbering even though the jets fit the same hole.