PDA

View Full Version : Tikanga vs Crown Law - thoughts?

PrincessBandit
17th August 2014, 20:39
Geez, after watching Sunday tonight the lead story about James Takamore's partner and children and his whanau from up north, how on earth will this be resolved?

My personal viewpoint: I understand tikanga dictates a person's resting place be the whenua of their birth; however this man, to all intents and purposes, had turned his back on his whanau for a life completely divorced from them. I'd have thought that if his personal wish had been to be buried up north he and his partner would have discussed the issue at some point in their 20 years together. As it stands, it appears his "whanau" give no thought to the feelings of those closest to them - and surely those two children should be considered whanau by blood - and override all considerations but their own.

Tuhoe have never been backwards in coming forward when it comes to challenging the law and I guess many could see them as "doing what's right by Maori" in terms of standing up for traditional beliefs. Sadly though in this case they only appear belligerent and determined to do what they want no matter the bigger picture. For a man who seems to have turned his back on them, they are determined to hold on to him by any means now he no longer can have any say for himself.

The message is, as the son said, they can do whatever they like and even the Police will back down. Now, what I find outrageous is that if their own council had given their permission for the exhumation to be done, other parties within the tribe can over ride that. Where is the unity in their leadership over their people if their own can refuse to bow to it?

How do you reckon it's going to be resolved?

oldrider
17th August 2014, 20:54
It's just being used as a political tool and they (Tuhoe) know that soft cock do gooder PC flakes will bow down to them! :motu:

They should honour the treaty ... oops they didn't sign it did they but what are the conditions of their settlement? ... Interesting questions! :scratch:

MisterD
17th August 2014, 20:55
Gaol the lot of them for contempt of court and bury the bloke in Chch.

pete376403
17th August 2014, 21:24
Another Crown apology for upsetting tuhoe plus more confidential monetary compensation seems to be the pattern

Mom
17th August 2014, 21:58
It is a tragedy!
It is a disgrace!
It is culturally offensive!
Human, cultural and personal. It offends!

I am blunt with this, the man should be buried by his missus and his kids, where they need him to be, for them. 20 years of him being with this woman surely overrides the tikanga.

It offends me that people that he had nothing to do with for 20 years, took his body, and buried it.

His children are his whanau, and their wishes must be respected.

They left him overnight in the care of a funeral director, and his remains were stolen.

I am outraged the NZ Police have allowed them to prevent an order of the court from being upheld.

Plod will arrest me if I don't appear in court when summoned, but will step down from this.

Shame.

SPman
18th August 2014, 15:25
en.

I am outraged the NZ Police have allowed them to prevent an order of the court from being upheld.

Plod will arrest me if I don't appear in court when summoned, but will step down from this.

Shame. Typical of NZ plod these days - get the NSA to take an interest - then maybe something will be done.......agree with the rest as well!

Akzle
18th August 2014, 17:42

cos y'all a cracker ass beyotch and consent to be governed every four years...:;):yes:

local
18th August 2014, 18:52
I would've just tasered them.

JimO
18th August 2014, 18:59
I would've just tasered them.
with a AK47....

Banditbandit
22nd August 2014, 15:03
with a AK47....

Bwhahahahaha ... we are armed and well able to shoot back ...

ElCoyote
22nd August 2014, 15:12
Bwhahahahaha ... we are armed and well able to shoot back ...

Tame took us on a course in the Urewera's once...................

buggerit
22nd August 2014, 15:23
Tame took us on a course in the Urewera's once...................

yeah, that went well:gob:

Akzle
22nd August 2014, 20:47
yeah, that went well:gob:

as usual: until the cops turned up!

98tls
22nd August 2014, 20:56
It is a tragedy!
It is a disgrace!
It is culturally offensive!
Human, cultural and personal. It offends!

Shame.

Nail/head,just another example of the fucking madness it seems we as a country have just come to accept,its only going to get more ridiculous.

avgas
23rd August 2014, 05:27
tikanga dictates a person's resting place be the whenua of their birth
Anyone who claims this is full of their own bullshit.
There are literally 1000's of "old tales" in Maori culture of someone being buried where they were not born. Or buried where they were loved.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd August 2014, 11:29
My personal view is that they should roll some Ferguson MO SWAT MRAPS into the cemetery, dig up the body and move it out.

Then:

aCbfMkh940Q

Pandering to these fuckwits will get us nowhere. IRON FIST

It is a disgusting waste of time and resources. How did the rellies pay for the court cases they have lost at every turn? did they pay costs to the applicants?

PrincessBandit
23rd August 2014, 13:28
Anyone who claims this is full of their own bullshit.
There are literally 1000's of "old tales" in Maori culture of someone being buried where they were not born. Or buried where they were loved.

Yeah, it does seem that, like many cultural mores and traditions, they can be applied as and when it suits. And those who have a vested interest or agenda can pull it out of the hat like a rabbit and demand it be revered and upheld (because it happens to suit them on that particular occasion).