PDA

View Full Version : Hitch - Ukulele question

Big Dave
19th August 2014, 16:38
I bought my 6yo Grandaugter a Uke as her first 'real' instrument. She is always on about my guitars but her mits aren't big enough.

There are a zillion google hits - but is there a good beginner page I can teach her off - and how to tune the weird thing?

Hitcher
19th August 2014, 16:49
I bought my 6yo Grandaugter a Uke as her first 'real' instrument. She is always on about my guitars but her mits aren't big enough.

There are a zillion google hits - but is there a good beginner page I can teach her off - and how to tune the weird thing?

Mate, GCEA is the shizzle. Dogs have fleas and all that business.

Dr Uke should be able to minister to many of your needs. The chord charts are a useful addition. http://www.doctoruke.com/songs.html

Avoid playing anything with B chords in it. They are spectacularly awkward things.

Aquila strings make a huge difference to any uke's performance, if they haven't been fitted as standard. I've recently become a fan of Aquila Reds, which have a sharp brightness and a massive sustain.

PrincessBandit
19th August 2014, 18:54
I've been on the look out for a decent uke for myself (without a $400+ price tag...!). In previous years our year 9's have only had keyboard for a term and guitar for a term, with students having to share an instrument through lack of resources. Now we have a dozen ukes and with a bit of creative jiggling I can usually get enough kids on ukes so that between guitar and uke no one has to share during a lesson.
I'm the only one in the department who teaches ukulele to the year 9's as an alternative to guitar but don't have a decent instrument of my own to use. Any suggestions as to what would be best value for money?
Am open to either a full acoustic or with pick up. Probably concert size is what I'd prefer.

Hitcher
19th August 2014, 19:06
Probably concert size is what I'd prefer.

Like many things in life, with ukuleles one gets what one pays for.

Concert is a great size for a uke. My "Desert Island" uke (I have a severalness of them) is a Kala KA-KCE-C. Translated, that's a solid Koa wood cut-away with a pick-up. http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/models/kala-koa-ka-kce-c-ukulele/

If you're keen on amplification, then I'd recommend the Fluke. I also have one of those. It's concert size and the pick-up is awesome, and also has a great tone in acoustic only mode. Flukes are a bit of a trick to play though, thanks to the no-sharp-edges body shape. http://www.magicfluke.com/ They're also a trick to tune, as they don't have geared tuners.

I also have a soprano and a tenor. All strung GCEA high G.

Geeen
19th August 2014, 20:57
Hitch, who do you get the strings from? I'm trying to get some nylgut high G's for my wife's makala pineapple uke. Music planet only list the low G's on their site. Also, do you have any advice on banjo ukes?

Hitcher
19th August 2014, 21:49
I get my strings from Alistair's Music (04 917 4487) in Cuba Street. I'm currently running Aquila Reds.

Musicplanet are pretty accommodating and I'm sure (if you've got a local branch) they can get you some Reds or ordinary Aquilas.

Banjo ukes? Make sure you get one with a replaceable head.

Geeen
19th August 2014, 22:08
Cheers, good to know. The closest Music Planet is Mayers Music in Mt Maunganui, awesome guys to deal with. Just ordered some Pyramid strings for my UBass from them, so should becable to sort something.

Big Dave
21st August 2014, 12:48
Thanks. It's only an inexpensive unit. If she buys in we'll get her a better one.

I've also set up a Midi Keyboard and Garage Band's piano lessons to see if she prefers that.

ellipsis
21st August 2014, 12:59
...renditions please, or it didn't happen...