PDA

View Full Version : Irony

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 07:20
Now there is something I find ironic developing over the last few days/week.

It seems we are less inclined to petition for the priveledge of enjoying our roads at pace and reasonable cost on our two wheeled mechanical steeds - than petitioning for the priveledge of viewing highly paid professionals racing there futuristic steeds around worldly race tracks?

And to top it off - we now have attempted to enlist the help of the holiest of beings to fight on our behalf?

What I mean is - we have copies of emails going to SKY about the MotoGP - but none going to the MP's, Police, LTSA et al about the draconian road laws and focus in NZ?? Isn't this misplaced and misdirected energy? (Lou is excluded from this as I read his letters to the editor on a regular basis)

What is this all about?

Hitcher
26th January 2004, 07:49
At the risk of offending the "god squad" ... "Amen to that brother!"
:Punk:

bluninja
26th January 2004, 11:57
Isn't this misplaced and misdirected energy?
Maybe there's more chance of SKY putting the racing on than of the government changing laws. That would make the effort a focussed way of achieving results rather than a rant against the establishment.

As for me I've cancelled my Sky subscription.:laugh: Who wants to watch rugby and cricket?

TTFN

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 12:06
Surely however the same energy could result in the government changing laws. And is inaction through apathy an excuse? Surely it is more important for us to freely enjoy our bikes - than watch others freely enjoy theirs?

I am just curious to see that, within minutes of the post going up people have emailed Sky (Myself included) - yet, everyone replies to the posts about the beauracracy - but no one does anything.

Just strange is all..........that we are more concerned with watching people race round a track than pursuing vindication on traffic laws which affect us on a greater basis.

Each to their own......but for me, losing MotoGP isn't the end of the world, nor is it a reason to not

Lou Girardin
26th January 2004, 15:01
Do people think that the Gummint backed down on Der Feuhrer Swain's road safety proposals out of the goodness of their hearts. Not bloody likely! It was fear of lost votes, keep the pressure on.
Lou

James Deuce
26th January 2004, 15:52
Surely however the same energy could result in the government changing laws. And is inaction through apathy an excuse? Surely it is more important for us to freely enjoy our bikes - than watch others freely enjoy theirs?

I am just curious to see that, within minutes of the post going up people have emailed Sky (Myself included) - yet, everyone replies to the posts about the beauracracy - but no one does anything.

Just strange is all..........that we are more concerned with watching people race round a track than pursuing vindication on traffic laws which affect us on a greater basis.

Each to their own......but for me, losing MotoGP isn't the end of the world, nor is it a reason to not

I remember a discussion in the office where one of the women there was moaning about a particular government policy and when challenged about her political views answered that she doesn't bother voting because it doesn't mean anything anyway. :argh:

I fear that the prevailing view of the "average" politically unaware NZer is that a. the government knows best, and b. the little people can't change anything so why bother, and c. it won't happen here. Motorcyclists are constantly threatened with extra govt. levies and laws that restrict and govern what we can wear or ride. This means that we've developed a slightly better appreciation for how little govt. cares about the effects of their policies, so long as they generate anough votes to win the next election.

That is a very valid point wkid. I think the ave. Kiwi doesn't realise what losing "freedom" means, where a lot of European nations have had those freedoms removed more than once in the last 100 years. I think we would do well if we were to put as much energy into understanding NZ politics as say back row Rugby tactics of the last 25 years.

curious george
26th January 2004, 16:54
Ummm, I don't complain because I quite like the laws. The road is not a racetrack for bikes or cars :Playnice:
Any fines are optional, if you don't want them, you don't have to have them.

I don't agree at all with bike rego being so much higher tham cars - totally unfair, but it's a fight against ACC. Can it be won?
*zips flame retardant suit*

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 17:04
Do people think that the Gummint backed down on Der Feuhrer Swain's road safety proposals out of the goodness of their hearts. Not bloody likely! It was fear of lost votes, keep the pressure on.
Lou
Exactly - setting laws is a popularity contest more than anything - and this is MY POINT. The louder you voice is as a group - the less likely the politicians are to risk losing your vote.

If we sit here and piss and moan and talk amongst ourselves as to how we are taking it up the proverbial arse blah blah blah - this means f'all to anyone. Yes it vents.....but do any of the people who can actually affect change hear....no.....so what is the point?

My point is only this......the priorities about chasing MotoGp coverage is silly (hell do what I do and get the 2004 season on DVD - then you can watch to your hearts content).......in comparison with the others things we put on here for discussion - yet we DO NOTHING about these as a collective group......

As for Motorcyclists paying higher ACC premiums - I have to agree with it.....why? Because I believe in proportionate social policy...you choose to partake in a high risk activity - you know the costs......wait until the INsurance Classes like the UK come in to NZ for rating bike insurance risk (Most large companies are looking at this now).....

Shade
26th January 2004, 17:10
:Offtopic: *my bad*,

Where do you get the motogp season on dvd? :)

*Goes back on track*

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 17:16
I got it from the UK

Shade
26th January 2004, 19:51
Oh true, sweet.

Just curious.