PDA

View Full Version : Sticking clutch

Premature Accelerato
24th August 2014, 16:49
I have a problem with a sticking clutch. Bike is a GSX R750 06. I purchased this bike knowing that it had a problem with a sticking clutch. Receipts for work done by a well known dealership showed that the clutch had been pulled apart, inspected, reassembled and a new gasket fitted. Road tested and all ok. Apparently it was all good for a month or so and was then back to sticking. The owner informed me that it would usually free up after a bit of a ride and once left sitting idle for a couple of weeks, would then be back sticking. I have no problem with what the previous owner has told me and this is not a bitch at him or the bike shop. Today I pulled the clutch apart and found a couple of problems. First is a problem of condensation in the clutch outer cover. It was covered with a milky emulsion which I believe as a slurry of oil and condensation. How can this be cured, does it need a special breather. Second, removal of the plates found that they were stuck together like shit to a blanket. What causes this? does it need another sort of engine oil? And third, the condensation in the housing was so bad that the clutch springs had rusted and there were small particles of what I think is rust, scattered around the clutch basket. The clutch was pulled apart by the bike shop 3 months ago and I am surprised that rust could have corroded the springs that quickly. Any thoughts or solutions would be REALLY appreciated.

ducatilover
24th August 2014, 17:50
Run decent oil and take it for good rides often. Check and crank breathers are not cracked and letting moisture in.
Alternatively, get a perm.

spanner spinner
24th August 2014, 18:45
Run decent oil and take it for good rides often. Check and crank breathers are not cracked and letting moisture in.
Alternatively, get a perm.

What he said, this is classic condensation problems from lack of use or being stored in a damp shed. The clutch is being stuck together by the emulsified oil, use a good oil do a couple of extra changes in the next few thousand km do the changes after a long ride while the bike is as hot as possible. This will usually fix the problems after a few oil changes. As for the rust on the springs this can happen in a matter of days as these springs are made of a steel that is never meant to get water on it's surface.

Premature Accelerato
24th August 2014, 19:13
The bike currently has Castrol Tri Zone Active 4T in it. I use a Motul semi synthetic in my usual road bike. Would the Motul oil be a better choice?

Lelitu
24th August 2014, 19:42
The bike currently has Castrol Tri Zone Active 4T in it. I use a Motul semi synthetic in my usual road bike. Would the Motul oil be a better choice?

As things are brand is definitely secondary to first getting the water entry problems solved, then getting the currently *fucked* oil out of the bike.

any decent oil will be better than what's in there now.
First change it a couple times to clear out the crap, then worry about getting a good oil in for long term use.

haydes55
26th August 2014, 18:03
Personally I'd buy and fit a new clutch kit. Start from fresh, the plates could be fucked, springs are now less than perfect and won't get better. Sort out how the moisture got in there, replace any corroded breather tubes and make sure they aren't pointed towards a place on the bike where water could pool. Moisture could have fucked bearings as well, for an extra $20 replace them to be certain.

Last I looked an aftermarket clutch kit isn't too bad priced. You could get a Yoshi one and call it a performance upgrade for resale value