PDA

View Full Version : Cruisers And Sportbikes: which are better for wet weather and highway?

Vilicus
9th September 2005, 23:15
Hello everyone!

I knew that wet weather could cause less traction, so i am just wondering which style of bike could handle rain situation better and safer? For instance: Honda VTR250 vs Yamaha Virago 250. (my dad is going to sell his spare car and agreed to lend couple thousand dollors to me, so soon i'll be able to purchase a nicer bike than i originally planned:chase: i decided to fulfill my dream before next weekend!)

Assume there is such a situation:

On the Auckland harbour bridge, extreme unpleasant weather, no many cars are around and you are rushing on a long trip (from Albany to avondale): what kind of bikes could be more easier to ride? a cuiser like Virago 250, Rebel, GV250 or a sportbike such as VTR25, CBR250RR, Hyosung GT 250?

I am quite curious about that, could anyone give me some answers?

BTW: just like what everyone here adviced me: go to the shop and try sit on every bike, i recently found out that cruisers are definitely way more comfortable than any of the sportbikes i've sitted on. (not to mention i saw there is a bike called Honda Goldwing Gl1800..... that monster feels even better than a car :woohoo: )

bugjuice
9th September 2005, 23:24
you ride the bike to the conditions, not buy a bike for conditions.. You get a bike you like, then you learn to ride it in everything. Having a sports bike has never bothered me in the wet, highways, country, dry days etc etc.. you buy a bike, it does it's thing.

The style of bike is down to you and your prefs, and then possibly it's use.. Buying a specific bike cos it might rain once in a while isn't any good..

Ixion
9th September 2005, 23:26
.. (not to mention i saw there is a bike called Honda Goldwing Gl1800..... that monster feels even better than a car :woohoo: )

That is a car. Some tealeaf stole two of the wheels, so Arfur is flogging it off as a bike.

Waylander
9th September 2005, 23:28
(not to mention i saw there is a bike called Honda Goldwing Gl1800..... that monster feels even better than a car :woohoo: )
Carefull mate, Goldwing riders will take offence to that lol.

Get a cruiser. You obviously want to have something that will be comfortable for longish rides if you way your commute is a hefty one. And since thier centre of gravity is lower they ride ALOT better in the rain. Only 250 cruisers you've got listed there that I've riden are the Rebel and the Virago. Rebel feels a bit like a gutless wonder to me, but they are great for beginers. The Virago is also great for beginers and have a bit more grunt to them when you need it. So in my opinion go with the Virago. But then, I'm just a little bit biased...:dodge:

White trash
10th September 2005, 07:22
Get a sportsbike. They're much more comfortable to ride long distances, you wont get spine compression like on a cruiser. Also, you get wetter riding a cruiser styled bike due to the lack of element protection provided by a fairing. You'll also get wetter feet on a cruiser as they're right next to the front wheel, collecting all the road spray.

TonyB
10th September 2005, 07:40
See now I agree with WT. But then a lot of people will totally disagree. Thats why there are so many different styles of bike- cause we are all different. The only way you are going to know what is right for you is to go for a decent ride on them. Maybe you need to slow down and give yourself more than a week to decide.

Sniper
10th September 2005, 08:04
Go with what Bugjuice says mate. Everyone here will have a different opinion that is more related to the type of bike they ride. Hell, I could say buy a CBR250RR (Never heard of the 50RR before?) but then again I own one and my plan is to steal all others so I will be unique. Anyway....

Buy a bike that you like and suits you, then ride it to the conditions. Make sure you have the proper gear though. No matter what bike you get, they all fall over at one stage.

Sniper

White trash
10th September 2005, 08:45
See now I agree with WT. But then a lot of people will totally disagree.

That's good mate, only wankers disagree with me.

Two Smoker
10th September 2005, 08:54

jeez you must disagree with yourself alot....hehehe

crashe
10th September 2005, 08:54
I have a Virago 250.... and she handles really well going over Ak Harbour Bridge.. if there are really high winds I make sure that I am riding beside a van or 4x4 tractor.. as they buff the wind hehehe.

Go out and test ride a few of the bikes that you like.. that will give you a better idea.

Wet/rain - hell we all get wet riding in the rain.. just have good wet weather gear. I started out with the nice yellow Warehouse $8.83 wet weather pants... they kept me lower half dry... Had a good jacket as well.

Sure on all bikes you gets lots of sprayup from the vehicles ahead of you.. but its one of the things about riding.

I personally like the cruiser because of the riding postition as it takes the pressure off my lower back pain.

Firefight
10th September 2005, 08:57

No your wrong !

F/F :tugger:

outlawtorn
10th September 2005, 14:04
Crashe And Waylander are right, get yourself a cruiser style bike, you won't regret it. As for getting more wet on a cruiser than a sportsbike, you're only wet on the outside and any good set of waterproof boots & pants as well as a decent jackets will do you just fine. Head over to Colemans Suzuki, they are currently having a special on new Jackets, really good prices. Speak to Mark in Sales or Dan in accessories, they'll get you sorted for sure.

I rode a Suzuki GZ250 for a year from Browns Bay to Westhaven every day and found it to be more than adequate in all weather conditions.

Another plus comparing Sportsbikes to cruisers, if your drop a sportsbike the fairings will cost you an arm and a leg to replace or get fixed, whereas a cruiser you normaly only fuck the handle bar ends, the pegs, and the exhaust, oh and the indicators, but you will drop your bike, everyone does, it aint nice to say, but be prepared for it.

Apart from that welcome to the site and may you enjoy countless k's of good riding. Keep it safe.

Sniper
10th September 2005, 14:09
Put it this way. If you buy a sportsbike, you will be adored and have a girl every night for weeks.
If you get a cruiser lots of people will poke fun at you but BUBBA will POKE you.

Runs away quickly while giggling

Motu
10th September 2005, 14:20
Get a dual purpose and put good street tyres on it - then you get better visability and much better low speed handling...no wobbling like you get with sportsbikes or cruisers.

Sniper
10th September 2005, 14:35
Get a dual purpose and put good street tyres on it - then you get better visability and much better low speed handling...no wobbling like you get with sportsbikes or cruisers.

Actually, that is the best bet. Forgiving with the weather and also quite forgiving with mistakes aren't they Motu?

Mr Skid
10th September 2005, 14:35
Get a dual purpose and put good street tyres on it - then you get better visability and much better low speed handling...no wobbling like you get with sportsbikes or cruisers.Yep, those are some of the reasons I got an XT.

Dual purpose tyres aren't as good as dedicated road tyres in the wet from my experience. If I were using it on road only I'd run Metzeler ME33/ME55 on it. The tread pattern looks like it'd be the shizzle in the wet. Also the ergos on a dual purpose (whatever the tyre) give you more control over the bike if it slides in the wet.

Motu
10th September 2005, 14:54
Actually, that is the best bet. Forgiving with the weather and also quite forgiving with mistakes aren't they Motu?

m,m,mistakes!??? How would I know?.....

Sniper
10th September 2005, 15:06
m,m,mistakes!??? How would I know?.....

The stutter for one thing could be a by-product of accidents :devil2:

Vilicus
10th September 2005, 15:29
Put it this way. If you buy a sportsbike, you will be adored and have a girl every night for weeks.
If you get a cruiser lots of people will poke fun at you but BUBBA will POKE you.

Runs away quickly while giggling

Haha, i am thinking the exact opposite: the only reason a sportbike attracts me is its performance: acceleration, ability to handle coners and smaller width which means more agility .

but if i only wanna look cool and ride comfortable, i will certainly get myself a manly cruiser like V-Star, Harley sportster or triumph rocket III (if i have nerve to sell my car) and i am pretty sure i will be adored and have at least two differnt girls every week.
:devil2:

so basically that is why it's so damn hard for me to decide (i wanna both comfort and resonable speed), everyone is giving me completely various opinions: guys from that New market bike shop told me to get a naked sportbike like GT250, VTR250... but shops in takapuna encouraged me to get a cruiser...

Sniper
10th September 2005, 15:31
Harley sportster

Mate, noone is cool on a Harley. Except scumdog

RiderInBlack
10th September 2005, 15:35
Just My two pence here. IMHO the following is more important than the type of bike when it comes to riding in the wind and rain.

Things that most effect you bike in the rain and wind (please add to this guys and gals):

Rim type. Mate of mine had solid custom rims on his HB. Bad misstake. It made the bike very hard to haddle in even moderate winds.
Blade/sheild. The right blade/sheild will push the wind and rain over your body making it easoer to ride. Too big and it's like pushing a brick wall. Too small and it doesn't push the shit over you.
Tyre/bike match. The right tyre for you bike with enough tread on it, set at the right pressure, makes one hell of a difference. Unfortunately, it's a real headache going through all the tyres and playing with the pressure to get the right combo going for your bike. Until you get it sussed, it best to stick with what the manufacturer recommends.
The skill of the rider. I find that because I've riden lots of wet and windy days, I seem to go better on those days than riders who are normal faster than me who haven't (and I am no great rider as some of these dudes will tell you). Like they say: "practice makes purfect". Just take is easy in the wind and rain while you are learning until you can easily reconise the extra hazzards. I often found the best bet is that if the bike feels uneasy underneth you, then easy up and ride in you own comfort zone. Sometimes the bike is trying to tell you something. Don't try to kept up with the faster riders.

Waylander
10th September 2005, 16:22
but if i only wanna look cool and ride comfortable, i will certainly get myself a manly cruiser like V-Star, Harley sportster or triumph rocket III (if i have nerve to sell my car) and i am pretty sure i will be adored and have at least two differnt girls every week.
:devil2:
Mate unless you're 7ft tall and about 280lbs you wont fit on a Rocket III. Better off going with a V-star. But you're a ways away from that decision yet. Just go with what you think is best for you. Compare comfort and affordability then you can start talking about power and speed.

Skyryder
10th September 2005, 17:58
I'd be looking at tyres for wet riding more than a sports or cruiser.

Skyryder