PDA

View Full Version : 2014 VFR800 Update

raspberry
1st September 2014, 10:07
300498Now done over 1000k and had first service. I have put the seat in the lower position for awhile and now it's back up on the high setting as this seems to help leaning the bike over at high speed. It does mean more wrist ache but it feels a more natural position. Could do with a handle on the side of seat like a car so I can lower when touring, and up when I am going faster...a lot faster! The power is fine for me...yes you could do with more for that extra fun at higher speeds, but can not help myself and would be cruising around 200k all the time. It overtakes cars at 100k with ease and not needing to change down. Having owned a 2000 VFR800 with out Vtec and never test rode one with Vtec, it came as a bit of a shock when it kicked in, not knowing what to expect, but have got used to it now. Fuel is down to 4.2l per 100k riding at legal speeds which is amazing for a bike, Ok so it's a lot more if you red line it all the time.
I have also put on a Delkevic stainless steel exhaust which shed 3 kilos of weight of the bike and it seems to pick up from lower revs quicker. The Delkevic was cheap at $240 and about $100 for delivery from the UK, no customs charge as it was under the limit. Yes it's not the latest look or materials but it was available and cheap. The exhaust sounds deeper with baffle in than the original Honda lump but I have taken that out and now it rumbles like it should do. It's not too noisy that it will make your ears bleed or get tiring when riding long distances.
The one moan I will have about this bike, is the finish on it. Chipped paintwork on the forks, fork clamps (rust as well), very light scuffs on the paintwork (this is how it turned up at the dealer). I will have to get a tank protector as no matter how care full I am, the paint just scratches so easily. This is probably the worst paintwork of all my bikes, even back to the 80's. It must have been rushed down the production line. Some parts of the wheels seemed to be rough on the the flat bits, with what looks like painted over sharp metal fillings...bit like rough sandpaper. I have had a Honda questionnaire and moaned about it, but I doubt nothing will happen.
I still like the bike and would not buy anything else as nothing ticks all my boxes. The LED lights seem to scare car drivers and the pull over more sooner when you follow them, also oncoming car drivers seem to notice you more, this is during daylight hours. Next service is at 12000k, which will soon come around as It is a good mile eater. Heated grips have been good these winter mornings.
I know someone will moan about the look of my exhaust, but it sounds so good!300497[ATTACH=CONFIG]300498

Haggis2
1st September 2014, 14:24
Looks good, who cares if anyone moans - as long as you like it that is all that matters. Saying that it does always seem a shame to me when the exhaust covers a single sided wheel rather than showing it off. But that's just me.

raspberry
5th September 2014, 09:43
They do a 200mm pipe, which would of given a bit more view of the wheel, but it did not look right in their marketing photos. I think it needs one of those stubby exhausts that starts at the cat box exit and sticks out at an angle, but they just won't make anything cool like that. You do see a bit more wheel than stock due to it being thinner and the link pipe is way smaller than the original shield.

James Deuce
5th September 2014, 10:30
I like the pipe it doesnt look out of place at all and looks like a quality piece of kit.

Keep the updates coming.