PDA

View Full Version : Faster Steering CBR11000XX Super Blackbird

Biff
10th September 2005, 01:21
First off a big thanks to Blackbird (Geoff) for helping me out with this minor suspension tweak.

One of the downsides of modern bikes is that they are sometime a little neutral in terms of their stock setup, as they have to cater for a cross section of society (size weight, riding ability). Honda's CBR1100XX Super Blackbird is no exception. The steering on it can be described as very neutral. It turns into corners ok, but it does take a little more effort when you get happen accross a tight set of twisties. So I did some homework.

From trawling the tinternet I discovered that by placing a washer with a depth of between 6-12mm at the top of the rear shock the bike would steer quicker. John 'Jaws' (http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/) , a top man, sent me a 6mm washer from the UK. I then sought some further advice from Geoff who had done a similar mod to his bike, but he made his own washer, of sorts, from aircraft alloy. Geoff then very kindly made one for me and sent it overnight. The physics behind doing this is that it raises the back end of the bike, so slightly more weight is transferred to the front wheel. I opted for a 6mm (ish) ride height increase at the back.

I fitted it this evening and have not long come home from a test ride. The difference is amazing. The bike now turns in far faster and better IMO. A highly recommended 'tweak'.

Many thanks John and Geoff.

TonyB
10th September 2005, 06:42
I did something similar of my FZR1000. The technique was different though- you just make shorter suspension links or dogbones. I put 10mm shorter links in mine, which raised the rear end about 40mm at the number plate. The difference is remarkable.

Blackbird
10th September 2005, 07:53
That's great Rhod - glad that it works for you. I certainly wouldn't go back to the stock settings after having used a ride height spacer for over 2 years. It's still stable with a 6 mm spacer powering off road bumps or under heavy braking. Pete from Blackbird Spares has used up to 12mm thickness but if I remember right, he only uses the big spacer for trackdays as the bike gets pretty twitchy.

Cheers

Geoff

DEATH_INC.
10th September 2005, 08:52
This is a pretty common tweak on lotsa bikes,from my own experience TLr's,Gsxr's,Fzr thous,ZX12's and VFR400's work well with 15mm or so raised rear ride height,just remember though that you're changing other things too,raising the cog and altering the squat by changing the arm angle for example,and don't forget that the chain tension will need to be changed too(it'll need to be looser at static unladen height as it tightens more as the susp compresses)

James Deuce
10th September 2005, 09:07
Shhhh. Don't tell anyone I've got a built in ride height adjuster.

Amazing what a difference 6mm can make.

Sniper
10th September 2005, 09:41
Nice to see Biff, so I guess you will get even further away from me in the twistys now. Damn