PDA

View Full Version : Braking Fingers

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 08:30
What do you use?

I use my two middle fingers as a carry over from my mountain bike.....never got used to using my index and big finger as I can't modulate the brake properly??

Dan

Shade
26th January 2004, 14:05
I use my last 3 fingers, and leave my index finger around the throttle for when i get back on the gas.

bondagebunny
26th January 2004, 14:17
leave any fingers behind the brake lever - all 4 fingers over brake - and brake from out side in ie little finger first - longest part of lever gives best leverage.
not leaving fingers behind is a simple safety thing - If the bike is dropped the bars are the wisest part and hit the road first and that will cause at best broken fingers.
Using out side fingers takes a fair bit of training of ones self, but is worth it if you can be bothered to try.

bungbung
26th January 2004, 14:24
Yep, I use all fingers for braking. You can roll your thumb along the side of your hand for throttle control while leaving all fingers on the lever (blip for downshift etc.)

madandy
26th January 2004, 15:24
I use index and middle.No probs with braking power, modulation or rev blipping. It worked well on my road racing bicycle(105 STi) as well as my mountainbike(XT servo-wave(two finger levers)).

I guess, really it's what we all learned to do as youngsters on our pushies and first m/bikes. Personal preferences and all that.

Motu
26th January 2004, 15:59
Jeez - a poll and a thread,talk about overkill!!

I do the lot - first 2 fingers on brake,rear brake and lots of engine braking...chopping down and tossing in is my style.

Yamahamaman
26th January 2004, 16:10
modulation or rev blipping. It worked well on my road racing bicycle(105 STi)

I don't know anything about the 105 STi - is it 2 stroke or 4 stroke and how many cylinders? :confused2

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 16:54
Jeez - a poll and a thread,talk about overkill!!

I do the lot - first 2 fingers on brake,rear brake and lots of engine braking...chopping down and tossing in is my style.
I actually asked Spankme to delete this thread as I accidently pushed enter when doing the poll

Skyryder
12th May 2004, 10:23
leave any fingers behind the brake lever - all 4 fingers over brake - and brake from out side in ie little finger first - longest part of lever gives best leverage.
not leaving fingers behind is a simple safety thing - If the bike is dropped the bars are the wisest part and hit the road first and that will cause at best broken fingers.
Using out side fingers takes a fair bit of training of ones self, but is worth it if you can be bothered to try.

Right on. Not only is the leverage better but from the outside of the palm this is where the strength is. Take a look at your palm and you will see a shaft of muscle:hypothenar group. http://eduserv.hscer.washington.edu/hubio553/atlas/122.html

This is what gives the strangth when gripping in conjuction with the thenar group that controls the thumb . If for any reason you have to brake harder than anticipated everything is in place.

Skyryder

Coldkiwi
12th May 2004, 12:55
of course, on modern sportsbikes, you don't need the full power of the average hand to bring the whole show to a screeching halt. Frinstance, I was quite happy just using the first two fingers for my braking into the hairpin at pukekohe. So long as I had the span adjusted far enough out that I wasn't squashing my index and pinky when the brake was fully applied I had no problems.

I ride the same way when lane splitting so i can control throttle without having to move my hand away from the brake if I have to stop for one of those adrenaline junkie moments!

pete376403
12th May 2004, 16:55
Does that mean the old vintage bikes were better in that the brake lever used to pivot at the outer end of the bar - therefore the strongest fingers would get the most leverage? Suppose that really matters when the brake pads are leather :)

merv
12th May 2004, 18:59

Same here, I find I gotta have some of my fingers like the last three on the throttle grip so you can blip the throttle on the down changes under braking. The rolling action bung talks about doesn't give me the control I'd want (especially not bumping along gravel roads) and I don't worry about what bunny is saying because if it comes to a crash on the right side you'd be better to get your hand away from the bar altogether before it hits the deck - either way you don't want your hand mashed under any part of the bike. No use worrying about braking if the bike is already on its side. The last bit is slightly different on the dirt bike with the wide bars you tend to crash differently and can avoid having the bars tuck under by hanging on and holding them straight and decking it straight down on the bar end.

wkid_one
12th May 2004, 18:59
of course, on modern sportsbikes, you don't need the full power of the average hand to bring the whole show to a screeching halt. Frinstance, I was quite happy just using the first two fingers for my braking into the hairpin at pukekohe. So long as I had the span adjusted far enough out that I wasn't squashing my index and pinky when the brake was fully applied I had no problems.

You shouldn't be adjusted the span of the brakes to stop that - you should be bleeding them. Being able to pull the lever right in suggests you have too much water or air in your system

On both the VTR and R1 I had a total of about half to an inchs play on the brakes from off to full on.....if you can pull it back to the throttle - best get'm sorted.

I use middle two as this is how I did it downhilling the MTB

wkid_one
12th May 2004, 19:05
Right on. Not only is the leverage better but from the outside of the palm this is where the strength is. Take a look at your palm and you will see a shaft of muscle:hypothenar group. http://eduserv.hscer.washington.edu/hubio553/atlas/122.html

This is what gives the strangth when gripping in conjuction with the thenar group that controls the thumb . If for any reason you have to brake harder than anticipated everything is in place.

Skyryder
Braking isn't about strength of your hand. Using your little finger means you have to adjust your lever right in as you little finger is not only the shortest but also as the lever diverges from the throttle towards the end of the lever - you actually have LESS leverage. Try lifting a 10kg weight with your arm fully extended - then try doing it as close as possible to your body. Same principal applies in the brakes. Yes, whilst your others fingers are closer to the fulcrum on the lever - they are significantly stronger and can apply more force than the outside two fingers. I would rather trust my braking to my strongest and longest fingers (force and leverage) than the smallest and weakest?

As for braking a finger - this is why MotoGP gloves actually strap the little and next to little finger together. As the riders brake with their index and big fingers - as per this pic.

http://www.alpinestars.com/_lp/details/gpprogrey.jpg
Hard to see - but the 3rd and 4th finger are joined.

Milky
12th May 2004, 22:32
I always used to brake with inside two fingers on a racing bike - one with pedals - but since getting onto the wonders of cable operated discs and drums I have started using the full set of fingers... I find I can blip perfectly well in most situations, but if it is very bumpy I have a little trouble. It seems to me that most of my force comes from my ring/middle finger area, maybe due to my hand size and non adjustable reach on the lever more than anything...

Lou Girardin
13th May 2004, 06:47
Index and middle. Less chance of a lock up in those panicky moments.

magnum
13th May 2004, 09:18
one finger only. :banana:

Cajun
13th May 2004, 12:40
index and middle always have done, on every bike i ride, it gets annoying on the brm, big grips and long leverl reach

Skyryder
14th May 2004, 16:17
Braking isn't about strength of your hand. Using your little finger means you have to adjust your lever right in as you little finger is not only the shortest but also as the lever diverges from the throttle towards the end of the lever - you actually have LESS leverage. Try lifting a 10kg weight with your arm fully extended - then try doing it as close as possible to your body. Same principal applies in the brakes. Yes, whilst your others fingers are closer to the fulcrum on the lever - they are significantly stronger and can apply more force than the outside two fingers. I would rather trust my braking to my strongest and longest fingers (force and leverage) than the smallest and weakest?

As for braking a finger - this is why MotoGP gloves actually strap the little and next to little finger together. As the riders brake with their index and big fingers - as per this pic.

http://www.alpinestars.com/_lp/details/gpprogrey.jpg
Hard to see - but the 3rd and 4th finger are joined.

I see the point that you are making wikd_one but it is not about 'indavidual' finger strength. You state that you would rather trust 'your' braking to the longest and strongest than the smallest and weakest. I trust my braking to all 'four' fingers of the hand. In this way I can control the brake lever to the desired force with both the minimum and maximum exertion depending on the situation and in the shortest space of time. If for any reason you realy have to exert maximum application to your front brake every thing is in place. This is impossiable to do if the little finger is not bought into the equation. Take a look at the site in my original post and will see why this is so. Alternitively try gripping something with the fingers that you use for braking and then do the same with all four and feel the difference in the pressure that you can exert.

Stay cool Stay sharp Stay alive

Skyryder

BugSplat
14th May 2004, 18:37
More fingers = better feel, I use all 4.

Kwaka-Kid
14th May 2004, 19:46
all ten fingers. Take my left hand off the bar and grab hold of my right hand and really squeeze in as hard as i possibly can, and often i can stop in time. But when im on any other bike then the GS1000 all 4 fingers even on the racebike.

wkid_one
14th May 2004, 21:16
I see the point that you are making wikd_one but it is not about 'indavidual' finger strength. You state that you would rather trust 'your' braking to the longest and strongest than the smallest and weakest. I trust my braking to all 'four' fingers of the hand. In this way I can control the brake lever to the desired force with both the minimum and maximum exertion depending on the situation and in the shortest space of time. If for any reason you realy have to exert maximum application to your front brake every thing is in place. This is impossiable to do if the little finger is not bought into the equation. Take a look at the site in my original post and will see why this is so. Alternitively try gripping something with the fingers that you use for braking and then do the same with all four and feel the difference in the pressure that you can exert.

Stay cool Stay sharp Stay alive

Skyryder
however if you brakes are set up correctly - the need to use all your fingers is moot - as you should be able to brake effectively with two.

The question relates to how many you use in your everyday riding - not in one off braking for emergencies. However, in an emergency I would be loathe to use all my fingers also - as I would be liable to go over the bars.

If you are using more than 2 fingers for your everyday riding, I would suggest you need to revisit your brakes - as any more than this just isn't needed.

Kwaka-Kid
14th May 2004, 22:49
Everyday riding aswell as racing, the whole hand, and yeah i think my brakes are good? Dont require much to lift rear wheel, but as the other dude said (my bad, cant be arsed looking up on this slow pc) its more controlled, or at least for us non-rossi's it is. Havnt flipped my bike in an emergency yet, and thats exactly what would happen if i did grab too much i guess. unless it was wet, then the front end would slide under- again i guess. sux not to be rossi.

scumdog
15th May 2004, 00:58
all ten fingers. Take my left hand off the bar and grab hold of my right hand and really squeeze in as hard as i possibly can, and often i can stop in time. But when im on any other bike then the GS1000 all 4 fingers even on the racebike.

Sounds like me old iron head sporty - came over a rise near Queenstown one wet night and lo and behold!! about eight cars waiting for another coming across the one way Kawarau bridge, hit the brakes for all I was worth and STILL had to pull out and pass the lot before I could stop! :gob:

Look at the bright side, I was now at the front of the line!!
That effort was a combination of old H-D brakes, wet discs, a rider bordering on hypothermic and an unexpected obstacle :blah:

FROSTY
15th May 2004, 01:38
I had to think about that question--and go for a bike ride to make sure I was right. I seem mostly to ride with the 2 fingers closest to my thumb permanently on the brake lever.It reduces my reaction time to an emergency situation on the road -or even a slightly allarming situation.
I find myself stopped at lights with one finger holding the brake and my back brake foot on the ground.
In a planned braking situation I flick all 4 fingers out onto the brake lever.

Milky
15th May 2004, 10:27
I had to think about that question--and go for a bike ride to make sure I was right. I seem mostly to ride with the 2 fingers closest to my thumb permanently on the brake lever.It reduces my reaction time to an emergency situation on the road -or even a slightly allarming situation.
I find myself stopped at lights with one finger holding the brake and my back brake foot on the ground.

That is very similar to me.. especially the one finger on the front brake ;) I find it a pain in the arse to put the rear brake on then have to swap feet to put the bike in gear and sometimes again to use the rear brake for hill starts... Most of the time i find i use front brake for hill starts and just follow the same motion as i would when blipping on downchanges. So much easier :2thumbsup

RiderInBlack
15th May 2004, 10:36
Very simialar. Also have my left index finger resting on the clutch handle most of the time (just encase the motor ceases, etc.).

Kwaka-Kid
16th May 2004, 12:45
Hmm, lots to think about i guess.
Well, im gonna keep my style, and allow you the privillage of keeping your styles KB'ers :)
kidding, nice 1 milky, now one thing i dont do is "blip" the throttle much, i find i prolly change gear too slow or something, but only when im really concentrating and chopping down fast do i get the need to "blip" the throttle, otherwise it blips and the revvs fall too fast before my clutch is released, and i like each and every change around town to be perfect so there is less wear on the clutch and less banging of any pillion on the bike behind me. A smooth rides a good ride in my books.

pete376403
16th May 2004, 20:29
now one thing i dont do is "blip" the throttle much, i find i prolly change gear too slow or something, but only when im really concentrating and chopping down fast do i get the need to "blip" the throttle, otherwise it blips and the revvs fall too fast before my clutch is released, and i like each and every change around town to be perfect so there is less wear on the clutch and less banging of any pillion on the bike behind me. A smooth rides a good ride in my books.
When you have a buttery smooth Suzuki gearbox you only need the clutch for starting, once you're rolling you can shift just by loading the pedal a bit and slightly rolling off the throttle.

Deano
16th May 2004, 20:38
Possibly depends on the bike, but I find the index and middle finger more than ample to lock the front (not that you would want to).

I can blip the throttle going down the gears with no problem, using my palm, thumb and two outside fingers.

Sometimes when I overcook it, I find my sphincter gets a bit of a workout too. lol

Deano
16th May 2004, 20:41
Very simialar. Also have my left index finger resting on the clutch handle most of the time (just encase the motor ceases, etc.).

But RIB, u ride a HONDA mate - you shouldn't be worrying about the motor seizing.............

RiderInBlack
17th May 2004, 12:37
But RIB, u ride a HONDA mate - you shouldn't be worrying about the motor seizing.............Thanks, but I'd rather not find out the hard way:thud:

Magua
17th May 2004, 21:48
All four fingers, I got out of the habit of using only a few while mountain biking.

wari
18th May 2004, 12:12
You breaka ma hand when a breaka ya face ...

I breaka your fingers too ... :yeah:

RiderInBlack
18th May 2004, 13:54
You breaka ma hand when a breaka ya face ...

I breaka your fingers too ... :yeah:
With this thread name, I was wait for someone to make a weak pun like this:crazy: What took you so long Wari:spudwhat: :rolleyes:

wari
19th May 2004, 08:59
With this thread name, I was wait for someone to make a weak pun like this:crazy: What took you so long Wari:spudwhat: :rolleyes:

I'ma slow thinker ... :spudwave: