PDA

View Full Version : Fairing templates?

Miss Sash
6th September 2014, 10:29
Does anyone know where I would be able to find software or something that has all of the newer (say 2013+ ish) model street bike fairing templates?
Mainly only interested in the Honda templates but i'm assuming if such a thing exists it will have most major makes...

Gremlin
6th September 2014, 15:35
A fairing template is normally a mould, ie, to make more aftermarket fairings. For that, your best chance would be: http://justfairings.co.nz/

But knowing your love of vinyl, are you more after the shape, dimensions for vinyl or something? Only thing I can think of there, is the likes of Ebay/TradeMe for decal kits for fairings?

Tazz
6th September 2014, 16:22
Can't be long till they start popping up on 3D printing websites?

Expect to pay though, that sorta thing ain't easy.

Miss Sash
6th September 2014, 16:47
A fairing template is normally a mould, ie, to make more aftermarket fairings. For that, your best chance would be: http://justfairings.co.nz/

But knowing your love of vinyl, are you more after the shape, dimensions for vinyl or something? Only thing I can think of there, is the likes of Ebay/TradeMe for decal kits for fairings?

Yeah, more looking for the shapes for a graphic design purpose for a full wrap. Wanted to try my hand at designing a couple which is why i was looking for the different models eg cbr300, cbr500, cbr600rr etc etc as i know they all differ slightly. I shall keep hunting :)

Miss Sash
6th September 2014, 16:48
Can't be long till they start popping up on 3D printing websites?

Expect to pay though, that sorta thing ain't easy.

Im not looking for anything 3d jus wanted to blank templates to design cool wraps etc. Fully prepared to pay for something as long as it has what im after :P

Tazz
6th September 2014, 17:21
Im not looking for anything 3d jus wanted to blank templates to design cool wraps etc. Fully prepared to pay for something as long as it has what im after :P

Ahh, I see. Someone handy on Photoshop should be able to knock something up for you with ease.

Gremlin
6th September 2014, 21:10
Yeah, more looking for the shapes for a graphic design purpose for a full wrap. Wanted to try my hand at designing a couple which is why i was looking for the different models eg cbr300, cbr500, cbr600rr etc etc as i know they all differ slightly. I shall keep hunting :)
Right. Either, as Tazz said, photoshop with a picture of the fairing, or depending on what you're trying to achieve, you can print your own custom vinyl. It has to be bigger than the fairing anyway to position and wrap over the edge.

Akzle
7th September 2014, 07:25
if you can find a cad model of the mould/ fairing complete, you should be able to pull a surface to use as a template.
i like gimp, but apparently it's unpopular with photoshop whores.

full color to-the-edge requires "bleed" to be printed.

borrow a 3d scanner...

bogan
7th September 2014, 09:36
Think full fairing wraps might be rare enough that all the templates are made for the job, I've not heard of them in circulation anyway.

Might be possible to get a flat outline by wrapping a roll of paper of and tracing/cutting out the edges; then scan and vectorise that...

Ahh, I see. Someone handy on Photoshop should be able to knock something up for you with ease.

Like this?

Tazz
7th September 2014, 10:59

Gremlin
7th September 2014, 13:46
Think full fairing wraps might be rare enough that all the templates are made for the job, I've not heard of them in circulation anyway.

Might be possible to get a flat outline by wrapping a roll of paper of and tracing/cutting out the edges; then scan and vectorise that...
It depends on the vinyl, or what's trying to be achieved, but the simplest is having a large sheet and putting it on the panel... work it, trim it, job done. Even a large graphic still gets placed on the panel... There are also so many options, vehicles, models, and only a few of anything would be done. The commercial places just have massive rolls and cut off strips.

Like this?
Little more practise required :laugh:

sil3nt
7th September 2014, 16:17
Try this