PDA

View Full Version : Braking

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 08:31
Questions for you.....

I use my middle two fingers and NO rear brake...and use engine compression heaps

Hitcher
26th January 2004, 08:40
Now this is one thing that has stayed with me since my advanced riding course! Both brakes, every time. Take up the slack to set up the squat, then as hard as you need without locking anything up.
When coming to a complete stop, I'm in first gear and ready to go. Hard to get used to at first but now it's an automatic response (manual gearbox but).
:sweatdrop

riffer
26th January 2004, 09:58
I just use the front brake - I used to use the rear but locking it up on the last corner down Haywards towards the Hutt Valley put an end to that...

I am finding that I am relying on engine braking heaps though for corners instead of brakes where I don't need to slow down that much. But I have gotten into a (bad?) habit of punching down a couple of gears to slow down and relying on the engine braking rather than the brakes as much.

Is this bad for the bike? I suppose it is, but how bad? I'm obviously stressing something, but it doesn't lock up the rear too often so I'm not feeling too bad about it. Is this one of these things where, I will know after I fall off that I shouldn't have done it?

Hitcher
26th January 2004, 10:10
I just use the front brake - I used to use the rear but locking it up on the last corner down Haywards towards the Hutt Valley put an end to that...

I am finding that I am relying on engine braking heaps though for corners instead of brakes where I don't need to slow down that much. But I have gotten into a (bad?) habit of punching down a couple of gears to slow down and relying on the engine braking rather than the brakes as much.

Is this bad for the bike? I suppose it is, but how bad? I'm obviously stressing something, but it doesn't lock up the rear too often so I'm not feeling too bad about it. Is this one of these things where, I will know after I fall off that I shouldn't have done it?
You could always buy yourself a slipper clutch...
I thought the question related to braking i.e. use of brakes, rather than slowing down?
:mellow:

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 10:37
I used engine compression all the time - was a great feeling having the back end squirming under you when you chopped down gears...

I never used the rear tho unless I had a pillion (so I never use the rear as I took the pillion pegs off).......

James Deuce
26th January 2004, 10:45
One of the big things hammered in on the two advanced riding course, and the road-racing course I've done was separation of function.

In an ideal racing environment you should be either on the throttle or braking and using the brakes for adjusting your speed. I picked up four seconds a lap at Manfield with the simple expedient of holding the clutch in and selecting the gear I would be using once it was throttle time. This had the added benefit of less stress on the rear suspension so the bike was more settled turning in. Some bikes like a bit of throttle to hold a line though, though this can be dialled in or out with suspension adjustments. You have to be real smooth with your brake/throttle/clutch transitions though and you have to match engine speed to road speed fairly well when letting the clutch out.

On the road you need to make sure that you can brake or accelerate at any time so I tend to go down through the box while I'm braking, but ALWAYS match engine speed to road speed or you can have the rear wheel hopping about, especially on a twin or single. Again though the brakes are for adjusting your negative acceleration and the throttle for positive, and you shouldn't really stress drivetrain components if you can avoid it as this has a marked effect on a bike's handling as well as eventually costing more money than brake pads, fluid, and rotors.

Jackrat
26th January 2004, 11:17
I use a little of every thing an just try to keep it smooth.
In an emergency situation I tend to look for away out/around before I go for the brakes.I mainly use my front for stopping hard and the rear for set up coming into a corner.I like to find a quite car park an practice braking with any new bike I buy,just to see what works best,Plus it's a lot of fun :yes:

Lou Girardin
26th January 2004, 15:02
I emergencies, I use all fingers, all toes and shincter too.
Lou

Yamahamaman
26th January 2004, 15:11
Why doesn't anyone include a 'None Of The Above' option when setting up a poll? :rolleyes:

madandy
26th January 2004, 15:14
I dont use the rear much at all when commuting...but on a twisty stretch of road the rear helps for steadying the bike and I like to trail the rear a little on slower, decreasing radious bends.Esp. when engine compression is finnished ie: after main braking when roling back on,towards corner apex.

Hitcher
26th January 2004, 15:16
Lou
In theory the anal sphincter is the only muscle in your body that can distinguish between solid, liquid and gas. Of course you all needed to know that...
:buggerd:

k14
26th January 2004, 15:29
I always use my index and middle finger to brake, nothing else. Never use the rear brake for setup into corners etc, sometimes use it when i come up to intersections and cant be stuffed using the front brake.

if you watch the motogp they sometimes show the camera view of the right hand, rossi uses his index and middle finger, not sure about anyone else. but i guess no one here will be able to confirm that now :mad:

Yamahamaman
26th January 2004, 15:36
if you watch the motogp they sometimes show the camera view of the right hand, rossi uses his index and middle finger, not sure about anyone else. but i guess no one here will be able to confirm that now :mad:

I still have some MotoGP tapes for past seasons - I'll have to take a close look. :)

k14
26th January 2004, 15:59
I know for sure that rossi was filmed in one of the last races of the season. maybe japan and malaysia. might have been valencia aswell. cant remember them doing it for any other riders though.

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 16:55
Why doesn't anyone include a 'None Of The Above' option when setting up a poll? :rolleyes:
Because there is a maximum of 10 options - I did include a 'brakes? what are they option'

What?
26th January 2004, 19:01
Good thing you did, Wkid. I don't use brakes at all if I don't have to. Bloody things slow you down... :eek5:

Hoon
26th January 2004, 20:07
On the track I only ever use the front brake. When hard braking for the hairpins etc I will clutch out all the gears on the way down too purely to make sure I'm in the right gear as opposed to improving my braking (engine braking on a 2-stroke?!?! yeah right!!).

Also 2 fingers only. I find the the number of fingers people use is directly related to how hard it is to pull the lever. I use to use 3-4 fingers when braking for the hairpin but since I rekitted my calipers and got a new easier moving brake lever I only ever need 2 fingers now.

On the street I use the front and rear during normal day to day braking as using front brake alone makes the front bob/dive too much for my liking and comfort levels (esp with a pillion) but emergency braking def front only.

onearmedbandit
27th January 2004, 19:45
I use my index and middle finger for average and slightly heavier braking, along with the back. However if I'm really on the pace I'll use all four. Depends on the situation.

Indiana_Jones
27th January 2004, 19:51
"I use index & big finger for front and use the rear" :p
I do that, stupid really (also it's kinda McQueen Styles :D)

I'm trying to get out of the habbit, trying to use all fingers :2thumbsup

-Indy

MrMelon
27th January 2004, 22:12
I pretty much just use my front brake unless I'm riding really slowly, and need a bit more stability, or I'm coming up to an intersection.

I use all 4 fingers on the front brake, but my front brake needs a fair bit of force to brake hard.

Indiana_Jones
27th January 2004, 22:15
Why do we like bikes? :banana:
I don't know but they're cool :D

-Indy

Dave
28th January 2004, 09:08
The rear brake doesn't help when the back wheels off the ground-however i do now use it out of turns to stop the high sides.

FROSTY
11th May 2004, 10:29
I must say I use every combination of brakes listed in that poll.
It;s a matter of what is apporpriate at the time.
For example coming to a stop at some lights Ill use engine braking. My reasoning being if something is gonna happen suddenly and I need to get away Im always in the right gear.
-keeping in mind I ride a shafty on the road-I drag a bit of back brake into corners whilst accellerating -It tightens the bike up and stops the wallows.
In a racing situation -like at the hairpin at pukie Ill prebrake the front and apply a little rear brake -then put the front brakes on heavily at my braking point
wet slippery roads ill use both brakes but more gingerly than on dry roads.
More and more on the road I'm finding I'm braking earlier than I used to on blind corners or road surfaces I'm not sure of.
On gravel I prefer a lot more rear brake than front -Im thinking I'd rather have the back step out on me than the front--

Marmoot
11th May 2004, 11:37
Can't use my middle finger.....too busy waving it around.....

toads
11th May 2004, 18:48
[QUOTE=Hitcher]In theory the anal sphincter is the only muscle in your body that can distinguish between solid, liquid and gas. Of course you all needed to know that...
:buggerd:[/QUOTE

Well my kids sphincters sometimes get confused LOL, too much info I guess, :moon:

toads
11th May 2004, 18:51
I always use the rear when going down hills coming up to corners etc, the front brake scares me, I use it when I have to, but in conjunction with the rear and always chopping down thru the gears at the same time, I like changing gears, feels safer, I hate the feeling the bike is not firmly connected to the road. I never use the front brake in gravel!!

Wenier
11th May 2004, 18:57
it really depends on how im riding if im cruising most my brakin is engine braking and then a little rear and sometimes no front. But if im riding hard i need all brakes and engine braking to drop enough speed to actually go through the corner.

Big Dog
11th May 2004, 19:06
Lou
And when slowing in a hurry I sit as upright as poss to act as a sail brake and push downon the back.

wkid_one
11th May 2004, 20:12
Sheesh - this thread came back from the dead

Skyryder
11th May 2004, 22:33
I simply do not like braking when the bike is on an angle. If I have too brake on a sharp bend I use the 'linked' brakes. Usualy, and this depends on the speed and the tightness of the turn, I change down then adjust with the front brake only when the bike is still vertical and before I have entered the curve. I am set up for the corner before I have entered it. I prefer to power out of the corner hard if necessary. Skyryder

NordieBoy
11th May 2004, 23:04
Middle finger only and sometimes some rear brake.

Any more than middle finger and it's stoppie time.

Oh and lots of engine braking - especially in the wet :rockon:

Well what do you expect from a 560cc motard with twin 4 pot front discs :yes:

madandy
12th May 2004, 06:05
After stating in this thread months ago that I used index and middle for front I have now changed to middle two fingers out of interest- because of the poll.
I can say that I feel more in control now by using my middle fingers and find it easier to blip the throttle when braking and shifting down.On my bike using a little rear prevents excessive front dive.
So cheers to the poll it has improved my braking technique :2thumbsup

Hitcher
12th May 2004, 08:59
After stating in this thread months ago that I used index and middle for front I have now changed to middle two fingers out of interest- because of the poll.
I can say that I feel more in control now by using my middle fingers and find it easier to blip the throttle when braking and shifting down.On my bike using a little rear prevents excessive front dive.
So cheers to the poll it has improved my braking technique :2thumbsup

What's all this "throttle blipping" about? Bikes have got sequential gearboxes (well, the ones I ride do). There's no neutral to shift through like a car or truck, so what's the point of simulating double clutching? Apart from the noise effect, that is...

White trash
12th May 2004, 09:08
What's all this "throttle blipping" about? Bikes have got sequential gearboxes (well, the ones I ride do). There's no neutral to shift through like a car or truck, so what's the point of simulating double clutching? Apart from the noise effect, that is...

On fast down changes at high revs, it matches engine revs to the gear which you want to selects speed, making for a smoother gear change.

Modern sportsbikes have as clunky gearbox as an old shaft drive.

If it didn't help, Mr Rossi wouldn't do it.

scumdog
12th May 2004, 09:17
On fast down changes at high revs, it matches engine revs to the gear which you want to selects speed, making for a smoother gear change.

Modern sportsbikes have as clunky gearbox as an old shaft drive.

If it didn't help, Mr Rossi wouldn't do it.

Damn right, "blipping" makes for lots smoother down-changes on my sporty, my previous one with a chain even more so.

I use all fingers (well all that I have left!) and mainly use just the front brake, use the rear brake only when on gravel/grass to steady things and use both when doing a "hurry-stop" .
Also lightly 'pump' brake lever when coming to a stop at an intersection to let the cager (or anybody) behind me know I am about to stop - lots of looking in the mirror too to make sure they appear to notice :shit:

White trash
12th May 2004, 09:22
Damn right, "blipping" makes for lots smoother down-changes on my sporty, my previous one with a chain even more so.

I use all fingers (well all that I have left!) and mainly use just the front brake, use the rear brake only when on gravel/grass to steady things and use both when doing a "hurry-stop" .
Also lightly 'pump' brake lever when coming to a stop at an intersection to let the cager (or anybody) behind me know I am about to stop - lots of looking in the mirror too to make sure they appear to notice :shit:

That's allways a fear of mine on a Harley, the bloody brake light is so low. I wonder if the prick following too close can even see it.

Hitcher
12th May 2004, 09:28
So I presume the "blipping" is done while the clutch is held in? If you're coming down the whole or most of the box (like during emergency braking), do you blip each shift or just hold the clutch in and just click through to first? (which is what I do)

scumdog
12th May 2004, 11:01
So I presume the "blipping" is done while the clutch is held in? If you're coming down the whole or most of the box (like during emergency braking), do you blip each shift or just hold the clutch in and just click through to first? (which is what I do)

Nah, just grab the clutch and both brakes during emergency braking.

Normally blip when down changing from speed to (a) slow smoothly (b) be in the right gear for when I want to wind the throttle open i.e. coming up behind a tractor and theres oncomming traffic, I usually brake and blip at the same time and with my lack of co-ordination I'm surprised I can do it - in fact if I blip down throught the gears when NOT braking I sometimes screw it up and end up just about arsing Chrissy-Bimbo off the back with the unexpected sudden lunge forwards :o

wkid_one
12th May 2004, 19:12
It is about matching the dog gear speed to the engine speed. Given each gear down the cog is a different size than the one above it - blipping the throttle with the clutch in momentarily prior to changing gear speeds the lower gear up to match the engine speed so that you engage the gear with minimal fuss/clunking

The same happens when you change up....if you do it clutchless like I do (when fanging it)...you just roll of the throttle slightly to slow the gear down and engage. You will be surprised doing this without the clutch as the next gear will just slip in to place as sweet as a nut and with minimal pressure on the lever - this is the same principal as blipping the throttle for down shifts.

If you haven't done it - try this....

IN Second gear - accelerate reasonably quickly, then apply a little pressure to the lever to change up, and roll slightly off the throttle - the lever with flick you up to the next gear piss easy

madandy
13th May 2004, 05:49
Yep its a beautiful sensation-shifting through the cog box with little or no shift shock...it's what sequential is all about...the real test is to shift so well your pillion doesnt notice.
I pillioned on a GS1000 when I was 12 or 13 and did NOT feel a single shift from 0 to 180 km/h up or down the box. That guy is my benchmark of riding skill.
Let your bike warm up properly- before trying it for the first time my old thing is a bit clunky for the first 4-5 minutes or so into a ride so I shift with the clutch untill shes warm.

scumdog
13th May 2004, 08:21
Yep its a beautiful sensation-shifting through the cog box with little or no shift shock...it's what sequential is all about...the real test is to shift so well your pillion doesnt notice.
I pillioned on a GS1000 when I was 12 or 13 and did NOT feel a single shift from 0 to 180 km/h up or down the box. That guy is my benchmark of riding skill.
Let your bike warm up properly- before trying it for the first time my old thing is a bit clunky for the first 4-5 minutes or so into a ride so I shift with the clutch untill shes warm.

Obviousl your'e not riding a H-D! - unless you try very carefully your'e likely to end up with a whole lot of neuterals and/or graunchy noises!!
Have done it a lot going up the gears but not at high speed/revs..and mostly because I've been day dreaming and forgot I'm not on a Jap bike :o