PDA

View Full Version : TT Kiwis

Shaun Harris
9th September 2014, 15:50
A Movie/Documentary began filming in New Plymouth last Friday the 5-9-14 regarding the Isle of Man TT races, there is a page on " FACEBOOK" called TT KIWIS, check it out folks and like please, it has only just been started so will take time to build up with info and upcoming events involved with it. The base line about it is to focus on the positives of Motorcycle racing and the Isle of Man TT races. Some very interesting facts and events will be revealed through this in the future. Thanks to the director Cliff.

nzspokes
9th September 2014, 16:52
Cliff is a great guy. He will do well with it.

Shaun Harris
9th September 2014, 17:06
Cliff is a great guy. He will do well with it.

He sure is man, very pashionate about it

Maha
9th September 2014, 18:50
About a year ago Shaun I was working at Gary Williamsons house.

In 1962 he first rode at the IOM. He went on to be a Mechanic for Ginger Molloy. Taking bike parts to Mr Sheene senior where Barry was running around as an 11-12 year old. He talked about local races back in the day like Muriwai beach/Puke/Mangere TT and Whangarei GP etc. Interesting guy to talk to over a cup of coffee, he still had his old helmet in the garage, the grey bowl type with the black leather ear/chin strap?

He said to me, Ginger told him to take a bike on the track (Assen I think?) and test it..which he did, he noticed another bike catching him and did a second lap even though he was waved in. The bloke on the other bike came up to Ginger Molloy later and said ''you'll be hard to catch today, that bike is fast'' Molloy told the guy ''that wasn't even me riding it''.

Shaun Harris
9th September 2014, 20:00
About a year ago Shaun I was working at Gary Williamsons house.

In 1962 he first rode at the IOM. He went on to be a Mechanic for Ginger Molloy. Taking bike parts to Mr Sheene senior where Barry was running around as an 11-12 year old. He talked about local races back in the day like Muriwai beach/Puke/Mangere TT and Whangarei GP etc. Interesting guy to talk to over a cup of coffee, he still had his old helmet in the garage, the grey bowl type with the black leather ear/chin strap?

He said to me, Ginger told him to take a bike on the track (Assen I think?) and test it..which he did, he noticed another bike catching him and did a second lap even though he was waved in. The bloke on the other bike came up to Ginger Molloy later and said ''you'll be hard to catch today, that bike is fast'' Molloy told the guy ''that wasn't even me riding it''.

Some funny interesting stories out there eh. May I suggest you post this onto the TTKIWIS page also Maha, Cliff maybe interested. He has so many things/idea's running throughhis head about this whole gig currently but bugger him, the more the better I say.

Ginger Malloy, Rod Colemen guys like that would be cool in it if possible, Rod C and My dad were very good friends in Wanganui years back as teenagers

jellywrestler
9th September 2014, 20:15
Some funny interesting stories out there eh. May I suggest you post this onto the TTKIWIS page also Maha, Cliff maybe interested. He has so many things/idea's running throughhis head about this whole gig currently but bugger him, the more the better I say.

Ginger Malloy, Rod Colemen guys like that would be cool in it if possible, Rod C and My dad were very good friends in Wanganui years back as teenagers

ginger molloy never raced there, rod coleman of course did and his brother and his father too

Shaun Harris
9th September 2014, 20:45
ginger molloy never raced there, rod coleman of course did and his brother and his father too

aware of that buddy, hence i said " If possible" Ginger is just class as far as I am concerned and would have been great included in it

Rod tried to get my dad to go with him to race there

jellywrestler
9th September 2014, 21:23
aware of that buddy, hence i said " If possible" Ginger is just class as far as I am concerned and would have been great included in it

Rod tried to get my dad to go with him to race there

yeah i think he mechaniced for graham lacy or someone around that time, and he said he regreted not racing there for the sake of his career too

Shaun Harris
9th September 2014, 21:49
yeah i think he mechaniced for graham lacy or someone around that time, and he said he regreted not racing there for the sake of his career too

Maha should be along some time soon with a good story surrounding this mate

nzspokes
9th September 2014, 23:42
He sure is man, very pashionate about it

I am very happy to see him do it. Couldnt think of anyone better. Top bloke to have as a mate.

Link to the FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/ttkiwis?ref=ts&fref=ts

Shaun Harris
10th September 2014, 01:16
I am very happy to see him do it. Couldnt think of anyone better. Top bloke to have as a mate.

Link to the FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/ttkiwis?ref=ts&fref=ts

Cheers for the link nzspokes. This movie/doco will be good for motorcycling in general. I was contacted today by an officual of the Prisons correction dept to see If I would be interested in giving some motivational speeches to some of the prisons around the country based on what I had said in my interview with the Daily news re wanting to try and help troubled youth, this is fantastic and all down to my association with Cliff and TTKIWIS and him arranging the interview with the newspaper.

Working with troubled youth is some thing I have wanted to do in my life since before I started racing motorbikes. and it is the fact that I have achieved with my racing career locally and on the world stage with 3 TT wins and a 3rd place on the podium in 1991 in Malaysia in the World endurance championships ( A Stroud was 2nd actually) that the corrections people thought some/most/all would actually listen to what I had to say, especially after showing them an on board lap of the TT on my winning 600 bike or and on the Britten.

Ya never know, it may end up enspiring some or one of them to look beyond there past lives and set new goals for them selves to focus on and put there energy into, again thanks to Cliff and TTKIWIS.

Bender
10th September 2014, 08:31
Slightly off topic but the story of Ginger Molloy, the Isle of Man and how it affected his career is covered in a book I have written. It is currently being printed and will be available late October.

The book is about famous NZ bikes and has interviews with Molloy, John Boote, Stu Avant, Ivan Miller, Peter Ploen, Ken McIntosh, Russell Burling and others.

Shaun Harris
10th September 2014, 08:44
Slightly off topic but the story of Ginger Molloy, the Isle of Man and how it affected his career is covered in a book I have written. It is currently being printed and will be available late October.

The book is about famous NZ bikes and has interviews with Molloy, John Boote, Stu Avant, Ivan Miller, Peter Ploen, Ken McIntosh, Russell Burling and others.

Awsome, please let me know when it is released Bender

jellywrestler
10th September 2014, 10:01
The book is about famous NZ bikes and has interviews with Molloy, John Boote, Stu Avant, Ivan Miller, Peter Ploen, Ken McIntosh, Russell Burling and others. so does that include the Steve Roberts built bikes?

Bender
10th September 2014, 11:15
No Steve Roberts built bikes in the book, sorry. Would like to feature them in book number two, if there is one.

Maha
10th September 2014, 18:42
Maha should be along some time soon with a good story surrounding this mate

Gary Williamson had a shit of stories, far too many to recall but I worked at his house for two days. He gave me a 10-12 books (Megaphone) to read or skim through, he featured in a few of them, mainly in relation to Malloy.

I worked at Crosby's house for two days in 09' .... laying some vinyl in a commercial kitchen for his wife, had a coffee with them both on day and talk bikes of cause, he explained to me (at my request) about the Showa suspension on my then CB1300, out come the pen and paper and away he went drawing graphs on how that shit works, he was about to take his Gixxer thou to Eastern Creek that Easter. Your name came up as did Dave Hiscock. Dave and Neville (RIP) are cousins to my father. It's good to immerse yourself in stuff like that every now and then.

jellywrestler
10th September 2014, 18:58
No Steve Roberts built bikes in the book, sorry. Would like to feature them in book number two, if there is one.

Bet you'll find Steve Roberts did work on most of the other bikes in the book so he'll be covered somewhere along the lines anyway

Shaun Harris
10th September 2014, 20:35
Bet you'll find Steve Roberts did work on most of the other bikes in the book so he'll be covered somewhere along the lines anyway

Steve's bikes were bloody brilliant

TT Kiwis
15th September 2014, 18:44
Wow, thanks for the kind words guys.

I must say the response to the project so far has been amazing. So far everyone I have contacted about the film has been only too keen to help. All seem to agree that it's a pretty cool thing to focus on the NZers who have done (and continue to do) the TT.

Being an 'independent' film, there are no doubt going to be some stumbling blocks. I expect to be very broke for the next however long whilst I work on it. But I am very fortunate to have a cool group of people around me who are supportive (even to the point of egging me on!) so it's a great position to be in - a nice problem to have.

I have only joined the forum today as I was going to do that thing that everyone hates for my first post - and ask for some help on a few things - mainly contact details for people. So it was nice to see this thread. Now I have an excuse to post something else first!

Thanks again for your support guys, much appreciated.

Cliff