PDA

View Full Version : small fuel saving

WINJA
10th September 2005, 22:52
MY PARTNERS CAR SAYS 96 ONLY AND IT DEFINATLY PINGS ON 91 . I GO TO BP
AND USE THAT 98 OCTANE PUT ABOUT 1/3 IN THEN TOP THE REST UP WITH 91 , IT DEFINATELY DOES NOT PING WITH JUST 1/3 98 . DONT KNOW IF ITLL WORK FOR ALL CARS OR BIKES AND THE SAVING IS SMALL , THE BONUS IS WHEN YOU GO TO PAY , THEY MAY FORGET TO CHARGE YOU FOR BOTH LOTS

Virago
10th September 2005, 23:00
Shit, that's a good idea, I'm going to try that.

I've got a Mazda 626 wagon (only 5 years old) and it pinks like crazy on 91, so I've been using 96 or 98. $100 now to fill with 98!!!!!!

I'll try a blend next time I fill.

James Deuce
10th September 2005, 23:06
Been doing that with the FIAT for years. :) Well at least since 98 came in.

Motu
10th September 2005, 23:07
I noticed that when 98 first came out - I'd had to use an octane booster in my XC Coon,but didn't need it with 98....and even when you had to fill up with crappy 96 somewhere it still ran like it was on 98,it didn't need much 98 in the tank to make the difference.

oscar the cat
10th September 2005, 23:27
just a heads up people

during my 8 years with the petrolum industry ( and before you start complaning about the prices been out of it for a few years now ) i have seen this sort of thing before ( when leaded petrol was withdrawn ) the petrol companys can not legally sell you a mix of either 91, 96,98 or diesel , something to do with one of th many "acts" they have to follow
they cant stop you filling with one ,driving around the block and topping up with the other ,

if you do decided to do it in one hit please dont ask the forecourt person to do it for you ( do they still have forecourt workers ? ) or be offended if asked not to do it by the cashiers , these guys dont make the rules yet are expected to inforce them .

and for the wages they get paid they dont deserve the aggro

just my 2 cents worth

WINJA
10th September 2005, 23:38
just a heads up people

during my 8 years with the petrolum industry ( and before you start complaning about the prices been out of it for a few years now ) i have seen this sort of thing before ( when leaded petrol was withdrawn ) the petrol companys can not legally sell you a mix of either 91, 96,98 or diesel , something to do with one of th many "acts" they have to follow
they cant stop you filling with one ,driving around the block and topping up with the other ,

if you do decided to do it in one hit please dont ask the forecourt person to do it for you ( do they still have forecourt workers ? ) or be offended if asked not to do it by the cashiers , these guys dont make the rules yet are expected to inforce them .

and for the wages they get paid they dont deserve the aggro

just my 2 cents worth
A SPOTTY FACED OIK HAS NO CHANCE OF STOPPING ME MIXING FUELS , BY THE TIME ITS DONE ITS TO LATE, I HAVE SEEN FUCK ALL FORCOURT SERVICE FOR AGES.
MY LOCAL GASSY CHANGED HIS DIESEL PUMP TO PETROL AND BACK AGAIN TO DIESEL , HE SAID THEY JUST RAN THE DIESEL OUT AND FILLED IT WITH 91 , SO THEREFORE HED BE MIXING FUELS HIMSELF THEN SELLING IT

oscar the cat
11th September 2005, 01:11
i hope not for his sake , i would love to see some of the damage caused some of the engines

Sniper
11th September 2005, 12:08
i hope not for his sake , i would love to see some of the damage caused some of the engines

Surprisingly enough, I would bet there would be less damage than if you just left the engine to pink! Besides my other half works as a "Petroleum transfer attendant" and she knows nought about these rules you claim the must follow. Besides, no-one fills my car or my bike but me! Especially after I had one snot nose arse bandit slop 96 all over my tank, seat and fairings while he was trying to fill up my bike. The arse jockey didnt even apologise or attempt to clean it up, so please excuse me if I am rude or obnoxious to you but don't tell me how to fill up my car or bike. Im the one paying the money.

Thanks for the info WINJA!

T.I.E
11th September 2005, 12:21
yep had the same here only let one idiot fill up my bike after spiling petrol over my bike. and that was the last time those idiots will ever do that again.
i fill up my own tanks. bikes cars trucks containers.
espically when i almost caught them filling up my diesel with 91. oh i tell ya it was close.
i should have shut up to see what would have happened.
what do they do when they screw it up?

Sniper
11th September 2005, 12:48
yep had the same here only let one idiot fill up my bike after spiling petrol over my bike. and that was the last time those idiots will ever do that again.
i fill up my own tanks. bikes cars trucks containers.
espically when i almost caught them filling up my diesel with 91. oh i tell ya it was close.
i should have shut up to see what would have happened.
what do they do when they screw it up?

Proberbly would have had to drain the whole tank and complain to you that you should have said something.

sunhuntin
11th September 2005, 15:25
i work at pak n save fuel here in wangas...basically its self serve i just instruct on how to use the pumps. had a number of people put in 96 instead of 91 or vice versa. we have cover over the deisel, so to use it you gotta lift that first. i fill my bike there now since thats the only pump i know how to use, lol. what would happen if i used 96 instead of 91? would it better for the engine or worse?

so far ive only seen one customer mix his gas....91 and 96. roughly $10 of each. i asked if he was meant to do that [english was his second language, so had to double check]

myvice
11th September 2005, 17:05
Could get a drum of Toluene (sp?) to mix with ya gas, depending on the mix you can get about 100-110 octane out of 98 I'm told!
Warning; Toluene is used to make P so you may get some funny looks, and I don’t know what the ratios are for mixing with pump or race gas so if you toast your motor don’t cry to me.

HDTboy
11th September 2005, 17:11
If you mix 20% of 91 into racegas it goes super-high octane (130+) for about half an hour, or so I've heard