PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new scooter?

MonkeyMagic
20th September 2014, 16:22
Hi all,

Am just looking at buying a scooter for transport for 5km trip to and from work. Household is down to 1 car and will need something rather than walking and waiting for the bus. At this point only able to use car licence so has to be under 50cc - wife will need more convincing to get an actual bike licence.

Anyway found this forum and found the advice has helped a lot as I had no ideas about scooters a week ago.

Due to this have figured the Chinese scooters should be avoided even though they are realtively cheap to buy new. A new Honda Day or similar is out of the budget range I have but I have found Scooterman www.scooterman.net.nz in Parnell doing second hand Japanese scooters for $1350-$1500.

Has anyone dealt with these guys and know if what they sell is decent quality, worth the dollar amount or is it better to just keep checking trademe or somewhere like scootling?

Cheers for any advice,

awa355
20th September 2014, 21:05
Their scooters seem to be tidy. Most Japanese brands are likely made in China, but to the Japanese standards. Anything that carrys Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda names and appears to run ok and look like its been looked after should be as good a bet as anything.

Taiwanese brands, PGO, SYM and TGB are all proven brands.

mossy1200
20th September 2014, 23:43
Hi all,

- wife will need more convincing to get an actual bike licence.

Best you get to work first on wifey then on learners licence.

Daffyd
21st September 2014, 00:17
Taiwanese brands, PGO, SYM and TGB are all proven brands.

As are Kymco who supply the engines for the BMW Maxi Scoots.

awa355
21st September 2014, 00:51
As are Kymco who supply the engines for the BMW Maxi Scoots.

Been reading the write ups for the Kymco 400cc scoot. Fairly impressive. Two year unlimited k warranty. I'd look at one.

MonkeyMagic
21st September 2014, 12:49
Best you get to work first on wifey then on learners licence.

One of a number of fronts in the life of a married man.

buggerit
21st September 2014, 13:35
One of a number of fronts in the life of a married man.
Getting a motorcycle licence will make you a safer scooter rider-just sayin;)

Moi
21st September 2014, 17:08

As this man says...
You seem to have done your research about the 50cc class of scooter, however even if you think you'll not go for a motorcycle licence there are "moped" classes which you'd be very wise to take.

If you do the licence then you can get a bigger scooter later if you want, especially if you intend to commute on it. Remember the limitations of a 50cc scooter.

FJRider
21st September 2014, 17:13
Been reading the write ups for the Kymco 400cc scoot. Fairly impressive. Two year unlimited k warranty. I'd look at one.

Not being just on a car license ...

FJRider
21st September 2014, 17:46

BULLSHIT .... !!!

A whole heap of common sense ... mixed with a dash of life preserving instinct .. WILL.

The many Unlicensed riders already on the road (and survive) ... a bit of laminated plastic wont help there ...

slofox
21st September 2014, 18:09
When it comes to scooters, bigger wheels is better. (Just in case you can't decide which one you want...)

buggerit
21st September 2014, 19:05
BULLSHIT .... !!!

A whole heap of common sense ... mixed with a dash of life preserving instinct .. WILL.

The many Unlicensed riders already on the road (and survive) ... a bit of laminated plastic wont help there ...

Im sure that's exactly what his wife wants to hear, was my message a little to subtle for you?:msn-wink:

FJRider
21st September 2014, 19:31
Im sure that's exactly what his wife wants to hear, was my message a little to subtle for you?:msn-wink:

A scooter for a 10 km daily round trip ... hardly requires a 400cc scoot. A car license should have instilled enough knowledge on traffic rules to suffice.

A wet day at rush hour "may" instill a little (more) common sense. A class 6 license will seldom be of assistance in this regard.

His wife (or any women) will tell him all the advice he needs ...

you're not married I gather ... :innocent:

buggerit
21st September 2014, 19:47
A scooter for a 10 km daily round trip ... hardly requires a 400cc scoot. A car license should have instilled enough knowledge on traffic rules to suffice.

A wet day at rush hour "may" instill a little (more) common sense. A class 6 license will seldom be of assistance in this regard.

His wife (or any women) will tell him all the advice he needs ...

you're not married I gather ... :innocent:

Let me explain for u, the wife has approved a scooter but not a licence for a motorcycle which is obvious he would prefer.
If he gets a scooter and the wife is happy to get a licence for the safety aspect, then when the scooter dies:rolleyes:he is
able to purchase another scooter:msn-wink: more to his liking.
Yes I am married, your not?

FJRider
21st September 2014, 20:42
Let me explain for u, the wife has approved a scooter but not a licence for a motorcycle which is obvious he would prefer.

What he (or any husband) prefers ... is of little consequence ... Wife approval is required to sustain marital bliss.

If he gets a scooter and the wife is happy to get a licence for the safety aspect, then when the scooter dies:rolleyes:he is
able to purchase another scooter:msn-wink: more to his liking.

Wife being happy should be more to his liking ... and one (small) step at a time to achieve the (his) desired result.

Yes I am married, your not?

I doubt if you are if the above needs explained ... and I'm happily not ... :laugh:

Daffyd
21st September 2014, 20:56
I had a brief look at one a while back and was very impressed. Funny thing is, they are legal on the expressways/tollways here but the KTM 390 Duke is not. There is a lower limit of 400cc. I think I would sooner ride the Duke on the major roads here, although the minor ones can be quite fun, (even on my tiddler!)

Another interesting tidbit... The m/c mag I get here has reports on both the Kymco Maxsym 400 and the BMW C650GT. It gives the top speed of the Kymco as 180 and the BMW as 175.

buggerit
21st September 2014, 20:57
What he (or any husband) prefers ... is of little consequence ... Wife approval is required to sustain marital bliss.

Wife being happy should be more to his liking ... and one (small) step at a time to achieve the (his) desired result.

I doubt if you are if the above needs explained ... and I'm happily not ... :laugh:

:scratch::brick::bye:

awa355
21st September 2014, 21:01
When it comes to scooters, bigger wheels is better. (Just in case you can't decide which one you want...)

:Oi::Oi: whadda you doing here???? You are right tho', after doing 18,000k in the last 17 months on 10" wheels, as the girl once said, " bigger is definately better"

mossy1200
21st September 2014, 21:06

You my friend need to learn the art of marital manipulation in order to have a meaningful and healthy man life.

MonkeyMagic
22nd September 2014, 08:29
Wow so much advice on marriage - this place is a goldmine :msn-wink:

really appreciate all the answers.

In terms of the bike licence - think while there is a logical argument that it would make me safer, its not a road I'll be heading down just yet as I know as soon as kids come into the equation any bike is going on trademe.

Limiting this to the 50cc bracket. The models these guys are putting up for sale seem alright to get second hand? As a comparison there was another website selling brand new Capri LX 2014 for basically the same price http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/scooters/auction-779962302.htm

MonkeyMagic
22nd September 2014, 22:35
Also forgot to mention, this would be my first scooter - hence the asking you guys for advice.

Also for those from Auckland, my commute will include Parnell road which has one fairly steep hill then constant incline, What is the best chance to get up that hill at decent speed, 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Do shops delimit scooters fairly easily?

awa355
23rd September 2014, 01:19
Another thread on here somewhere had comments from the owners of Capri scooters. They seemed to have had a good run out of them.

MonkeyMagic
23rd September 2014, 09:28
Another thread on here somewhere had comments from the owners of Capri scooters. They seemed to have had a good run out of them.

Thanks I'll have a look for that thread - it makes sense to me if its going to go alright then it is better to go new than second hand. Had been put off by some of the comments around the quality of the build for these models though

FJRider
24th September 2014, 18:48
You my friend need to learn the art of marital manipulation in order to have a meaningful and healthy man life.

I have NO requirement for "Learning" the art of Marital manipulation ... and my man life is quite healthy thank you ... ;)

neels
24th September 2014, 18:58
Doesn't need explaining, reading your posts it should be obvious

FJRider
24th September 2014, 19:13
Doesn't need explaining, reading your posts it should be obvious

What does need explaining ... is why manipulation of one's wife/partner is required to achieve a ... "Healthy MAN life" ... :scratch:

Ender EnZed
24th September 2014, 20:05
Wow so much advice on marriage - this place is a goldmine :msn-wink:

You want to buy a scooter?!?! You should probably just ride a dildo on the bus. Faggot.

As a comparison there was another website selling brand new Capri LX 2014 for basically the same price http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/scooters/auction-779962302.htm

As with any new vs. used question, it depends on the specific used vehicle option. The site you linked above
(http://www.scooterman.net.nz/) doesn't seem to do any descriptions of what they actually offer for sale. Given the target market; this doesn't necessarily mean they have nothing to offer. But certainly their website has nothing to offer.

Also forgot to mention, this would be my first scooter - hence the asking you guys for advice.

Also for those from Auckland, my commute will include Parnell road which has one fairly steep hill then constant incline, What is the best chance to get up that hill at decent speed, 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Do shops delimit scooters fairly easily?

2 smokes are almost universally going to offer more power for any given cc rating. Technically the 50cc moped market is limited by a 2kW output rather than cc, so maybe some 4 strokes go as well/faster. I'd definitely gamble on the 2 stroke 50cc being faster/better on hills though.

Ender EnZed
24th September 2014, 20:12
i'll add to this that while I personally have no experience with Chinese scooters, I'd definitely be looking for a used Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki if I wanted one for $1300-1500.

An importer like you've mentioned could very well be the right option but it'll always be specifc vehicle vs specific vehicle when your options are used.

FJRider
24th September 2014, 20:21

In the " Ride on a car License " bracket of scooters ... I'm pretty sure the 2 strokes rule. (I'm not aware of any 4 stroke mopeds)

Borrow (or test ride) any prospective scooter you might buy ... on YOUR route ...

It may aid manipulation ... if it doesn't cut the mustard ... :laugh:

MonkeyMagic
25th September 2014, 12:50
Cheers will go the 2 stroke - and avoid the dildo..

Have been in contact with the guy since you're right there is not a lot on his website but looks like he just put a couple on trademe

2001 Vino http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=784766702

1997 Vino http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/scooters/auction-784766111.htm

1997 Giorno http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/scooters/auction-784767398.htm

From what I've read around the place the Vino seems like a good bet although the extra few hundred might be the killer as I'll be taking the advice of everyone in terms of getting actual riding gear rather than just relying on a woolly coat

FJRider
25th September 2014, 17:58
I'll be taking the advice of everyone in terms of getting actual riding gear rather than just relying on a woolly coat

A lot of scooter riders I've seen just wear a skirt (with heels) ... seems to work for them ... :cool:

Might ruin YOUR image though ... ;)

danchop
28th September 2014, 12:33
I would be buying this trade me listing on the shore 785587830
2009 Yamaha jog $1450 ono
comes with a helmet
has a givi box(best top boxes made)
looks in great nick by the pics
cant buy these new anymore but in the 50cc market these models would be in the top 5 sort after scoots
you shouldn't have a problem with reliability
you shouldn't have a problem reselling it when your done,for around the same money you buy it for
offer $1300 cash and go from there,you cant go wrong
I sort of know what im talking about,trust me

MonkeyMagic
11th October 2014, 19:06
Ok have been swamped at work so the scooter hunt has been on the back burner.

The original guy Scooterman who did the Vinos has mentioned I'd need to get new licence plates etc which is a cost and annoyance I don't really want for a 10 year old scooter.

In saying that I went to Scootling and they have a 2014 Adly ATC on sale for 2k (having seen what is available my budget has expanded somewhat)

The scooter seems a tad higher than the other models and is almost new. The small test I did it seemed to have a good amount of power up the hill of Bond Street. Are Taiwanese brands in the same realm as the Japanese or in the same category as the Chinese. Is 2k for a near new scooter worth it or do I go for a guy on trademe with a 2008 Honda today which is sitting at $800?

SNF
12th October 2014, 17:05
Adly's are good. I think they use Yamaha parts, or am I getting it confused with another Korean brand. Korean stuff generally is okay, may have the odd quality control issue (Hyosung = Korean - if you get a good one its good; if its a shit one it'll be shit. Luck of the draw?).

Can't lose on a Honda. Japanese reliability - generally easy to get bits for (assuming its not 1980's vintage which its not).

Its up to you really.

MonkeyMagic
12th October 2014, 18:35
Adly's are good. I think they use Yamaha parts, or am I getting it confused with another Korean brand. Korean stuff generally is okay, may have the odd quality control issue (Hyosung = Korean - if you get a good one its good; if its a shit one it'll be shit. Luck of the draw?).

Can't lose on a Honda. Japanese reliability - generally easy to get bits for (assuming its not 1980's vintage which its not).

Its up to you really.

Yeah the guy mentioned the motor is the same as the Jog which is what I've heard is good. Will check out the Honda this week and then judge from there. Do like the bigger wheels and higher ride of the Adly

MonkeyMagic
17th October 2014, 08:40
Ok got outbid on the one I wanted on trademe, have decided against spending 2k (things have come up which have hit the back account).

Big question, 2006 Jog vs 2006 Vino - Much of a muchness with just a difference in style. Should I be worried that the Jog could be difficult to find parts if Yamaha are no longer bringing them in?

They'll be about the same prive once rego etc taken into account