PDA

View Full Version : Cyclists bubble burst

titus
11th September 2005, 11:46
This relates to the AA thread below, it brought to mind last weeks article in the Dom Post relating to rising fuel costs. The only comment in the article relating to motorcycles said that we may expect more injuries and deaths as a result of increased motorcycle ownership. That's a sad sack journo who hasn't done any good research and sets out to promote a tired old tale. On the other hand the journo was relatively enthusiastic about bi-cycling with benefits in terms of health and lifestyle.

All credit to the cycling lobby who have built up a good love affair with politicians and the media. Here in Wellington cycle groups get heaps of encouragement and funding, look at the "don't burst their bubble" campaign. Unfortunately, Wellington remains distinctly unfriendly for cyclists until tunnels are bored through all the hills and all remaining humps and hollows are levelled with a D9.

Worse still I can recall 2 recent cycle fatalities on Wellington SH1 and 2 where the bubble was burst.....with the culprit in both cases being cars as the bubble buster.

I feel safer in leathers, helmet, boots and gloves, than in lycra, shorts, short sleeves, styrene helmet and on skinny tyres with flimsy rubber block cable brakes anyday in Wellington.

myvice
11th September 2005, 19:16
Used to ride (pushbike) everywhere, got sick of being pushed off the road, cut off, and used as a target by cars!
Lost 2 teeth and a lot of skin in a hit and run. Cops where very helpful "Gee, that sux... Next!"
People wonder why I get aggressive on the road?

froggyfrenchman
11th September 2005, 19:18
compleetly agree! frogman