PDA

View Full Version : SHE'S GOT NEW WHEELS

old farts
11th September 2005, 11:50
Hi everyone the other half has just got her first bike GZ250 :ride:
The next thing is to teach her, Any one have any tips so that we don't have a domestic :hitcher:

Sniper
11th September 2005, 11:54
DONT point out her mistakes!! (Too often now Im told)

TerminalAddict
11th September 2005, 12:03
pay someone else to teach her ;)

T.I.E
11th September 2005, 12:25
pay someone else to teach her ;)

totally agree don't teach her at all. get someone else to teach her. trust me don't even bother.

FROSTY
11th September 2005, 12:56
I agree with all the above posts. You will find you are teaching her all of your bad habits.
That said if she MUST get started I would be starting with the stuff most people forget about
Starting smoothly and cleanly -start the bike -put it into gear move off as slowly as possible -yep shes gonna wobble and stall heaps but its teaching clutch control and throttle control as wel as low speed balance.
turning at LOW speed -left or right using indicators. -full figure 8's if ya can but also 180 degree turns are important too.
riding in a straight line as slow as possible without putting your feet down.
zigzaging round cones 3.5m apart
stopping using both brakes without skidding--LOW speed ---at the speed she is going to be doing both brakes will be effective
picking the bike up from laying on its side.
indicator /horn positions
Pretty basic stuff-but she'll have a sweat on before half an hour is up.

Really important--her attention span will be short --shes trying to take on a lot of new information so I would only do half an hour at a time

old farts
11th September 2005, 13:36
Thanks all,was thinking she should go on a learn to ride course and then the basic handling course to get her learners, anyone know who runs them in P/ North ? :ride:

old farts
4th October 2005, 21:27
Her new baby

crashe
4th October 2005, 21:33
Very nice bike....

Great another female rider out there on the roads WOHOOOO

Now all you have to do is give her time on the computer and let her sign up on KB.

Storm
5th October 2005, 06:11
Nice bike mate. I'd agree with others, probably best to sort her out with a bit of professional instruction to get her doing it properly from day one

old farts
5th October 2005, 06:47
Nice bike mate. I'd agree with others, probably best to sort her out with a bit of professional instruction to get her doing it properly from day one
Its ok she is book in to do the learn to ride course in wellington this Saturday with Andrew, I'm keeping everything crossed :calm:

Sniper
5th October 2005, 06:47
Nice mate. Im teaching my other half to ride but thats just my grandfathers scottish blood refusing to make me pay for an instructor.

zadok
5th October 2005, 11:01
When I read 'GZ250' in the first post, I didn't think it would be a cruiser (name doesn't sound cruiserish) . I hadn't heard of that model (N.Z only?). It looks like a nice bike for her. :niceone: