PDA

View Full Version : The joys of the Napier-Taupo road

Hitcher
26th January 2004, 11:18
As Saturday was a welcome change weatherwise to what transpired earlier in the week, Mrs Hitcher and I decided to hop on the Marauder and Zrex respectively and go for a wee ride.

Over the 'takas was fun, and we met some of the dudes out exercising their vintage bikes and otherwise having a blast in the sun. Those numbered yellow vests are way cool!

We escaped the main highway at Waipawa and headed coastwards to Patangata, prior to carving the Elsthorpe road northwards. Not another vehicle in sight. We then carved down to Waimarama and back because it was a nice day, prior to blatting up Marine Parade to stay the night in Napier. The twilight run up the Whirinaki coast is now becoming something of a "must do" when in Napier, and Saturday night was no exception.

Sunday, after a leisurely brunch, it was home via Taupo. It must be at least 15 years since I was last up the Napier-Taupo road and I had trouble remembering parts of it, such have been the mods over that time. But what a glorious day, great scenery and a great stretch of motorcycling road. Shame about the caravans and campervans though...

Taupo was in full cry for Auckland Anniversary weekend, so we didn't loiter. The run down the lake to Turangi was breathtaking as Taupo turned on a stunner. Shame about the caravans and campervans though...

We burned off the slower traffic through the switchbacks at the top of the Desert Road (man, the road surface through here needs considerable attention) and had an uncluttered run to Taihape. After a compulsory stop for a coffee and world's best chocolate brownie at The Exchange cafe, we headed south, turning off at Vinegar Hill.

This stretch of road through to Cheltenham has to be some of the best bike riding road anywhere. Great carving corners to start and then great straights with some neat high-speed knee-downers (not yesterday as I had my Draggins on) to finish. Every time I do this road, I want to go back and do it again!

We returned home via Feilding, Awahuri, Opiki and Shannon, keeping off the main roads "just in case".

920km in two days. Brilliant!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

MikeL
26th January 2004, 15:25
A wee ride indeed...
Speaking of which, the only time I've done Napier-Taupo on a bike was last September: it was p*ssing down and I was in a hurry to get home. Hit a patch of diesel (or something) at 130k... interesting experience which I unaccountably survived . Didn't bother to change my pants because I was soaked through already... But I do remember at various times thinking that it would have been a great ride in summer.

LB
26th January 2004, 17:38
Hitcher: we came over Napier-Taupo on Sunday too, but we did it Taupo to Napier. I can't remember the time we left Taupo, but we were in Napier riding along the expressway around 10.30am. I don't remember your bikes, but there were quite a lot of bikes going the other way and I waved to them all and THEY ALL WAVED BACK!!! We may well have seen you two. I had my ears on (of course!) I was on my Monster in the lead, Hamish was just behind me on my blue Beemer.

The Napier half of the N/T road is very worn by trucks, heaps of "flushing" (I understand that's what it's called when all the chip is gone and it's just smooth tar). I wouldn't like to do it in the wet - you're a brave man MikeL!!

We left Wgtn 7am Sat, a bit of drizzle around Levin but soon dried up. To Wanganui, up the Paraparas to Taumarunui, over SH41 (GREAT biking road) to Tokaanu to the Ducati rally. Left Tokaanu around 7.45am Sunday to come home via Taupo/Napier. Stopped at the top of the Takas and met up with Blink and Jeff.

We ended up doing close to 1,000kms over the weekend too - it was a great weekend for riding. :niceone:

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 17:40
Linda - I think you would look good in a Mohawk!!!! I think it is time for an upgrade of your ears - bright red to match the duke

Hitcher
26th January 2004, 17:41
Hitcher: we came over Napier-Taupo on Sunday too, but we did it Taupo to Napier. I can't remember the time we left Taupo, but we were in Napier riding along the expressway around 10.30am. I don't remember your bikes, but there were quite a lot of bikes going the other way and I waved to them all and THEY ALL WAVED BACK!!! We may well have seen you two. I had my ears on (of course!)

We left Wgtn 7am Sat, a bit of drizzle around Levin but soon dried up. To Wanganui, up the Paraparas to Taumarunui, over SH41 (GREAT biking road) to Tokaanu to the Ducati rally. Left Tokaanu around 7.45am Sunday to come home via Taupo/Napier. Stopped at the top of the Takas and met up with Blink and Jeff.

We ended up doing close to 1,000kms over the weekend too - it was a great weekend for riding. :niceone:
I think I would have remembered the ears!! We've yet to do the Taumarunui-Tokaanu road, plus a whole bunch of others in the south Waikato/north King Country. Ahh, there's still a few weeks more of daylight saving...
:2thumbsup

LB
26th January 2004, 17:42
Linda - I think you would look good in a Mohawk!!!! I think it is time for an upgrade of your ears - bright red to match the duke
Ah....thanks wkid_one.....I have thought about it, but I'm very attached to my ears. I'm looking at getting a new helmet soon, so I may branch out and get the mohawk with that. Mark Dunn on the Fireblade has a red one on his new black helmet, and I must say that it does look quite good.

LB
26th January 2004, 17:44
We've yet to do the Taumarunui-Tokaanu road :2thumbsupHighly recommended, you'd love it as you like the same sorts of roads that we do.

I saw a ZXR12 rider arrive at the top of the hill yesterday avo, I ran over to him and said "Hi, are you Hitcher?" He thought I'd lost my marbles!!!

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 17:45
Ah....thanks wkid_one.....I have thought about it, but I'm very attached to my ears. I'm looking at getting a new helmet soon, so I may branch out and get the mohawk with that. Mark Dunn on the Fireblade has a red one on his new black helmet, and I must say that it does look quite good.
Do both.....that would be a sight....

Hitcher
26th January 2004, 17:50
Highly recommended, you'd love it as you like the same sorts of roads that we do.

I saw a ZXR12 rider arrive at the top of the hill yesterday avo, I ran over to him and said "Hi, are you Hitcher?" He thought I'd lost my marbles!!!
There's a bit of a difference between a ZX12 and a ZRX1200R. I've posted a pic in my profile FYI (after it was last freshly washed and boofed).

SPman
26th January 2004, 22:21
...... turning off at Vinegar Hill.
This stretch of road through to Cheltenham has to be some of the best bike riding road anywhere. Great carving corners to start and then great straights with some neat high-speed knee-downers (not yesterday as I had my Draggins on) to finish. Every time I do this road, I want to go back and do it again!

Great bit of road when you're in the mood.

Just when are they going to see to the surface of the Turangi end of the Desert Rd? Its friggin awful!

LB
27th January 2004, 05:06
There's a bit of a difference between a ZX12 and a ZRX1200R. I've posted a pic in my profile FYI (after it was last freshly washed and boofed).
:msn-wink:
Yeah, that's what the bike was (sorry, I sometimes get the models mixed up). But his wasn't as clean as yours, and his didn't have a Kerker.