PDA

View Full Version : Reflective rim stripes

The End
29th September 2014, 20:27
I've seen a few bikes with reflective rim stripes on and always thought it was a nice touch to compliment the paint job and at night help the bike stand out a little better. I bit the bullet and purchased some reflective rim stripes from Deal Extreme - an online website with a massive range of consumer goods and managed to get them shipped to NZ for a total price of $4.00 - View them here (https://dx.com/p/diy-motorcycle-wheel-18-reflective-sticker-red-16-pcs-198863)

Once they arrived (admittedly it did take a few weeks with free shipping) the installation process was pretty straightforward.

I started with cleaning the rims thoroughly with methylated spirits as the rim was quite dirty and wanted a clean surface for the adhesive to stick to.

The rim stripes came in sections, pre-curved to help with sticking them on. Each of the sections fitted together nicely with about 10cm left over after completing each side of the rim.302835

Overall it adds a nice addition to the red Hornet and at night stands out quite nicely.

george formby
29th September 2014, 23:41
I'm not knocking it but completely blinging your rim does not do it for me.
This popped up on another forum & a pic was posted of a bike with a two quarter rimming. Struck me that partially blinging your rim would be just as eye catching & potentially a safety aid but a bit less in your face. Personal choice.
Nice to know a 360o rimming is so cheap and just needs a bit of meths to get your hoop clean first.:wait:

caspernz
30th September 2014, 07:17
Looks good to me bud. I done the yellow fluoro rimtape on my Busa, got a variety of comments, meh I like it so all good.

The reflective nature of these things makes them really stand out at night, as long as you keep washing them of course.

For those really into the safety aspect, I did notice you could get black reflective tape, for that daytime undercover look...:oi-grr:

Erelyes
30th September 2014, 09:58
I'm not knocking it but completely blinging your rim does not do it for me.
This popped up on another forum & a pic was posted of a bike with a two quarter rimming. Struck me that partially blinging your rim would be just as eye catching & potentially a safety aid but a bit less in your face. Personal choice.
Nice to know a 360o rimming is so cheap and just needs a bit of meths to get your hoop clean first.:wait:

Wouldn't recommend meths before rimming, soapy water is a better idea. Meths will give you a headache and we all know, if she gets a headache, you're out of luck.

But yeah, you can start off with a two quarter rim job, then go all the way around if you like how it feels. Uh, I mean, looks.

AllanB
30th September 2014, 18:11
I have fine 3mm white ones on my black Hornet. Tried gold, silver, red settled on white. Easy to apply and remove as the mood thaks you. ;)