PDA

View Full Version : What have I done?

Ghost dog
4th October 2014, 20:51
hi there I am a complete newbie to bikes and have recently purchased my first ride ( 2000 yamaha SR400 ). The problem I have is that somehow I have managed through soldering a indicator wire to cut out all electrics. I have no brake light,headlight ,indicators and lights ( neutral light etc ) on gauge aren't working now. What i was doing was soldering a new contact point onto the indicator wire, the bike was off but the battery was still connected. I have checked the 20 amp battery fuse and it is fine, I replaced it anyway but it made no difference. With the limited knowledge I have of this bike i have read there is only the one fuse, no separate fuses for lights etc. I have taken the seat off to examine the wiring and noticed another smaller fuse 1.5amp that is insulation taped into a cluster of wiring. I have popped the fuse to look for a break but it hasn't got a clear caseing for a visual inspection, im not even sure what this fuse relates to, super cheap did not stock this type of fuse.
So if anybody could shed some light on what this rookie has done to his new bike it would be much appreciated, pretend riding it in the garage isn't much fun.

Cheers

FJRider
4th October 2014, 21:09
Check the fuse box. (all fuses including the main)

bogan
4th October 2014, 21:36
You say you have no lights etc, does this mean the bike still runs? What do you mean by soldering a new contact point onto the indicator? repairing the indicator switch in the bar switch cluster?

Big Dog
4th October 2014, 22:30
If your new to soldering the other end of the wire you soldered may have got hot enough to melt the solder at that end?
I did something similar first time using an iron. Learners often put element against the wire.

Other, possibly more likely option when you were pulling wires into a suitable position you moves something else. Either unplugging the main or breaking the circuit at the battery.

Check all the molex connectors in the vicinity.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

avgas
5th October 2014, 05:52
Back to basics - what did you solder and why did you solder it?

Akzle
6th October 2014, 06:36
www.narva.com.au/products/browse/joinerswire-taps#WIRE%20TAPS

just fyi.

You fucked it tim. But we need more information before we take the piss out of help you

HenryDorsetCase
6th October 2014, 11:37
clearly it is rooted. I will take the carcass off you hands for $300