PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Scottoiler

Blackbird
24th October 2002, 18:41
Scottoilers are a marvellous product to extend chain life, but installation instructions that come with the kit are a wee bit light on detail. An English guy called Clive Johnson has written an outstanding set of instructions, complete with photos. The installation is on a Blackbird, but the principles apply to any bike.

Have done 20000 k's with my chain so far, with no sign of wear on chain or sprockets.

The URL is as follows

http://www.superblackbird.co.uk/oiler.htm

:bigthumb:

wari
25th October 2002, 00:52
do you clean the chain and is it easy to regulate how much oiling takes place ?

Blackbird
25th October 2002, 06:53
The chain is self-cleaning as the oil (about 20 weight) is constantly being replaced - dirt won't stick to it. The oil flow is adjustable and the recommended setting is 1-2 drops per minute whilst the bike is on idle. I do get a bit of splatter on the bodywork above the chain, but it's quite small and just wipe it off with a rag occasionally. I also get a bit down my centre stand where it gets thrown off the front sprocket, but it's pretty minor. A 50ml fill lasts around 1500 k's

I really wouldn't be without one now.

Geoff :D

wari
25th October 2002, 22:09
:cool: That sound brilliant !!!

I might haveta get one.

Nukles
25th October 2002, 22:24
Go see Keri at Motomail tyres he just recieved a few different kits and he's the man !

wari
25th October 2002, 22:35
Thanks for that !!

Do I mention that you sent me ?

:p

Nukles
25th October 2002, 22:37
oh yes, tell him that Oliver with the Monster S4 sent you and let me know his reaction :bigthumb: he knows me well.

Blackbird
26th October 2002, 08:30
The only thing that didn't work as planned when I first installed it was attaching the plastic tubing guides to the swing arm. The kit includes a bit of sandpaper to slightly roughen the surface, and a tube of superglue. This simply wasn't up to the job and it soon became detached. I've found that Selleys Urethane Bond did the trick. I just cleaned the swing arm with meths and used parcel tape to hold the thing in place for a couple of days until the Selley's had cured - no more problems.:bigthumb:

Hamayar
18th November 2002, 21:28
I ran Scottys for years, great piece of kit.

(got a shaftie now so not needed)

I found the chain wear was reduced so much,
I never neede to adjust the chain tension between
tyre changes...

Stayed that way till over 20,000 miles, Good eh...

The other point to make is, getting the flow rate right.

When it rains a lot, turn it up a bit, and back down for
dry weather riding, if you got it right, the chain stays clean
and well lubed without spitting oil all over the tyre.

If you are getting a mess you set it too high.
Also check that you are getting flow regularly.
"the tube can get an air lock in it if you run it dry"

Have fun guys:cool:

Kiwibiker
14th January 2003, 05:11
Have one on my ZZR and would be without..
Scottoiler also produce a touring kit which means you don’t have to refill for about 3000 miles.. The cylinder fits onto the back of the number plate and makes it a lot easier to refill..

With the Scott I get about 20000 miles out of a chain, and that aint bad on the beast, particularly with the shit they throw on the roads over here

Only problem I have had is getting a regular flow, seems after a while it decides to change the floe pattern, but it is easy enough to fix

:done: