PDA

View Full Version : Eastland Adventure ride

Cary
12th September 2005, 07:55
XTC and I did a 4 day tour of the east cape area on our XT's.

Based ourselves in Ohope in the Bay Of Plenty.

Day 1 was getting their from Auckland went via Rotorua and the back way through the lakes.

Day 2 did the Motu Rd, Whakarua Rd to Gisbourne (for petrol), Wairoa (for petrol) then up 38 and round Lake Waikaremoana to Murapara and back to Ohope. A dam good ride for adventure bikes and a full days riding. The Motu Rd took us about 1.5hrs alone!

Day 3 we stuck to the seal and went round the cape and back up 2 thru Waioeka Gorge (lived in Whakatane for 18 years and this was the first time I did it) :weird:
Great ride for all.

Day 4 was back to Alk and family direct :woohoo:

1800km in the four days and the XT's did well. Will be doing that again, Motu Rd especially :ride:

PLUG
12th September 2005, 17:28
Just checked out a map of your tours. BIG day 2 alright. Was day 3 a loop around the East Coast from Opotiki-TeAraroa-Gisborne-Opotiki ... another HUGE day if it was.
Interesting repot ... cheers

XTC
12th September 2005, 20:31
Yes they were long days. Very sore bum by the end of it but boy it was fun. Especially that beer at tiniroto... Mmmmm.. Clear blue skies everyday except sunday and that wasn't too bad either. I can definately recommend the motu road, very tight and winding and great scenery. I would not recommend Ruatoria..... but when you need gas and that's the only station for miles what can ya do.
Most we paid for gas was $1.70....

What?
13th September 2005, 06:35
Next time try the Motu road from the other end - the views are awesome looking North, so you will likely have a few more photo stops.

XTC
13th September 2005, 13:29
SH38 around lake waikaremoana was just awesome. Nearer to the murapara end of the road the horses just graze on the side of the road, dozens of them and they don't even bat an eyelid when you go past them within 2-3 metres... Scary. Sheep are the main worry tho as they have no idea where to run so run in front of you 9 times out of 10. One hit a fence at top speed and bounce of picked itself up and looked a bit unsteady... Was hilarious!

Motu
13th September 2005, 13:37
It's over 20 yrs since I did that area,one of my long dreamed plans to do it again.

Cary
13th September 2005, 19:15
Next time try the Motu road from the other end - the views are awesome looking North, so you will likely have a few more photo stops.

That is on the cards for sure :woohoo: