PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 11th Sept - Wellsford Ride

placidfemme
12th September 2005, 07:56
Date: Sunday 11th Sept 05

Destination: Wellsford (178km+/-)

Bikers Confirmed: 20 odd (52 on actual ride)

Well the day started off good. The plan for the day was to take Sam on a slow/medium group for her first group ride… well slow went out the window… as did medium lol Had a lot of bikers saying “If this is a slow/medium ride then I’m not going on any fast rides” lol

Started off meeting Bugjuice, Gr81 and a few others at Cyclespot in Takapuna, then had a quick blat up Upper Harbour Dr to the gas station there to wait for someone who didn’t show up (or just a miscommunication…) had fun watching Bugjuice and gentleman on the GSX1000R pulling wheelies with the cager in the lane next to them looking pretty shocked lol

Arrived at Shell Westgate and was totally surprised to see the amount of bikes already there and still about 15+ minutes for more to arrive…

Again another fantastic turn-out… Sports bikes, Cruisers, a Goldwing, Moto Guzzi, dirt bikes, young, old, men and women

I must admit my organization skills in regards to the ride were rather crap and I constantly had people asking me what the plan was, where and when and so forth lol.

The ride up to Kaukopakopa was choice… good weather and just a slight amount of drizzle. Only had one breakdown (not sure what caused it but apparently some smoke was involved). After our brief stop at Kaukopakopa we continued on to Wellsford via Old North Road. Managed to get my bike up to 170kph without shitting myself… and didn’t have any “close” calls at all this ride. I managed to keep up with a few of the bigger bikes… spent a lot of time following the guy on the yellow bike (has an X in the number plate lol… I know I’m shocking).

Got to Wellsford where even more bikes from up North had been waiting… Finally got to meet a few more KBer’s that don’t come down to Auckland much… also got to meet John and give him shit about my alarm (lol) and tried my best not to drool on his bike *sigh*

After about a 25 min stop at Wellsford gas station, a few dropped off to do some off roading, a few split to head up North for the “fast ride” and the rest of us cruised down SH1 to Puhoi pub and chilled out there for some time. Then all split our own ways back to Auckland.

Thanks to everyone for showing up. Thanks to everyone for putting up with my not so great organization skills lol and again thanks to Bugjuice and Crashe for helping out with directions, leading, following and general support. You guys rock!

I’ve only been on two KB rides, and both times I’ve enjoyed the company of everyone I’d meet, and learnt some good lines following the more experienced riders and got to push myself a little bit further.

So yeah all in all a great ride.

Can’t wait for the next one!

(pictures have been posted in the original thread)

The Stranger
12th September 2005, 08:50
Thank you PF it was a very enjoyable day.

We both commented that we thought you did well with the organisation particularly given the size of the group.

placidfemme
12th September 2005, 09:08
Thank you PF it was a very enjoyable day.

We both commented that we thought you did well with the organisation particularly given the size of the group.

Sweet thank you :)

I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves :) I wasn't expecting so many people, and felt rather shy walking up to all the little groups to tell them the plans lol

Smorg
12th September 2005, 09:18
haha thats my "yellow" bike 85XTK :headbang: *hate damp roads*
Thanks for organising a great ride................my first KB'er, was great to put some faces to screen names :woohoo:

bugjuice
12th September 2005, 09:19
I thought it wasn't too bad actually. When it gets to that sort of size, but it's a route that most know, it almost organizes itself.. For your first big ride that you arranged, well done :clap: :ride: :Punk:

zadok
12th September 2005, 09:25
Wish I could have been there. Sounds great.

TLDV8
12th September 2005, 09:43

I thought it might have been me at first.... but PF didn't say see was deaf now :rofl: I didn't think the TL was that loud :dodge: ... A great day out :2thumbsup

placidfemme
12th September 2005, 09:54
Thanks for organising a great ride................my first KB'er, was great to put some faces to screen names :woohoo:

lol I'm bad with bikes... so mostly they just get described as "yellow" "Green" and "blue" lol

I enjoyed following you, a nice fast (for me that is) pace, but not pushing it too hard :)

Also had someone on a R6 (red, white and black I think) behind me for a while... but he/she didn't overtake me on the straights so I thought I might be holding them back... so I pulled over and let two bikes past me...

*has an awesome day!!*

Smorg
12th September 2005, 13:20
thats cool not alot of people can figure out what it is due to the fact it has no decals and a non original paintjob....................

Smorg
12th September 2005, 13:22
ooops forgot the rest of my post......................i could see your yellow spikes coming up 16 and then we were in the same group heading down SH1 to puhoi

placidfemme
12th September 2005, 13:49
ooops forgot the rest of my post......................i could see your yellow spikes coming up 16 and then we were in the same group heading down SH1 to puhoi

Yeah I like my yellow mohawk... kinda annoying when the wind grabs it and if you try to turn your head... but it gets me noticed that little bit more (by cagers that is) and people can tell me out almost right away :)

burnzup
12th September 2005, 14:36
Hey Placid Femme. Great day. My first ride with KBers. Really enjoyed it. And thanks to Crashe and SPMan for pointers. I know. I know. I'm practising my cornering.
burnzup

placidfemme
13th September 2005, 07:33
Hey Placid Femme. Great day. My first ride with KBers. Really enjoyed it. And thanks to Crashe and SPMan for pointers. I know. I know. I'm practising my cornering.
burnzup

Glad you enjoyed your first ride :) You did really well and can't wait to ride with you all again :)

R6_kid
13th September 2005, 14:41
was an awesome day bar a little bit of annoying drizzle (messed my visor up something chronic with all the bugs on it)

Keen for coro in 2 weeks placid?

placidfemme
13th September 2005, 15:16
was an awesome day bar a little bit of annoying drizzle (messed my visor up something chronic with all the bugs on it)

Keen for coro in 2 weeks placid?

I dunno... thats an all day ride right?

*goes to check the threads for details*

I would be keen... just Sam won't come on her 150 and she'll sulk if I go alone *can't win* lol

I'll let you know closer to the date :)

burnzup
14th September 2005, 15:45
Thanks PF. Will ride with you again in a few weeks. That was such fun. Say Hi to Sam for me.
Cheers
burnzup

placidfemme
14th September 2005, 18:14
Thanks PF. Will ride with you again in a few weeks. That was such fun. Say Hi to Sam for me.
Cheers
burnzup

Sweet :) Sam says hellow back