PDA

View Full Version : Buying first bike ramble.

erik
26th January 2004, 18:15
I've managed to save up almost enough to buy a bike, I'm hoping to spend 2 to 3 grand. I bought a trade and exchange last thursday, and had a look through it, there were very few naked 250cc sporty bikes. There were a few GN250's and a 1985 CB250. But I think I want something with more power. Then there was a Yamaha FZX Zeal 250. So me and my brother went a looked at the Zeal first, then had a look at a '89 gsxr. But after looking at the gsxr, I've been thinking that I really want a naked bike.
So there is the Zeal. It's a 1994, but it looked like it has been through a few scrapes. Like there were scratches on top of the brake fluid reservoir and the mirrors looked like they were after market or from another bike. So I guess it was upside down at some point.
I tried reading the Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide (http://www.clarity.net/%7Eadam/buying-bike.html) but there is a lot of stuff to remember, and I'm not at all confident that I'd be able to tell a lemon from a good bike. So I figure I'll see if I can get a motorcycle mechanic to take a look at whatever bike I'm considering buying.
But heck, it's been ages since I got my learners (slightly over a month!!! ;) ) and even longer since I've been saving up, and now that I've more or less got enough money to get a bike, it's sooo hard to wait. I know you're not supposed to buy the first bike you see, but I think if the bike shops were open on sunday/monday and I'd been able to get the bike evaluated, I would have bought the Zeal already.
But since they weren't open, and since I've calmed down a bit, I think I'll try to wait till thursday in case there are any other bikes that might be better than the Zeal. And if there aren't, hopefully the guy won't have sold the Zeal, and hopefully I'll be able to get it checked out, and it'll be ok.

I haven't been for a ride in over a week, because I've been feeling guilty about riding my brother's zzr250 more than he does, and also because I really want to ride my own bike.

XRNR
26th January 2004, 18:37
Don't forget to save at least $1000 for saftey gear if you haven't got it already.

erik
26th January 2004, 18:44
Don't forget to save at least $1000 for saftey gear if you haven't got it already.

No worries, the safey gear was the first stuff I bought. I figured since I would need it, why wait, I might as well get it as soon as I had enough cash :).

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 20:21
Check the leading edges of the fork staunchion - this will tell you if the bike has been in a good off - as these are unlikely to be replaced given the expense.

Also bear in mind - that because of the 250cc rule in NZ - you are buying in an inflated price market (but also selling in one later)

The trick is to find someone who hasn't fallen off too many times learning to ride the bike. A faired bike can hide some of this damage.....

Many people say naked bikes are better than faired bikes for a learner - but it is horses for courses. Whilst you don't end up with fairing damage - you can end up with other damage that is no less expensive.....but as a general rule - they are a bit easier on the wallet in the event of a crash

Jump on www.micapeak.com - this will give you a good idea of the common problems of certain bikes. Also - ask a bike mechanic BEFORE you go looking which bikes they commonly have issues with.

ANd bear in mind the golden shopping rule - you get what you pay for

franco
26th January 2004, 20:59
I owned about three 250's during my biking career: Honda CB250RS, Suzuki GSX250F Across and the Suzuki GSF250V Bandit.

Similar to the Zeal, the 1995-2001 Bandit models are very nice looking naked bikes, and for a 250cc go pretty well too, with a motor which is practically bullet proof. It's the reason why I'm a naked bike fan because it - it was retro but sporty (with very sport bike performance) at the same time. There are two motors available - the V which is the standard inline 4cyl, and the SV which has something similar to VTEC (cams change to different profile over a certain RPM, broadening the power delivery curve). And of course mine was the best colour - silver.

I've well and truly outgrown it, but it kept me very happy for long long time. I've talked the missus into getting her lic now, so she's going to end up using it.

erik
31st January 2004, 19:44
I bought the Zeal :)
After checking the T&E on thursday and not seeing anything else that I wanted that was in my price range, I phoned the seller up and he still had the bike. He was ok with it being checked by a mechanic, so this morning it was given a pre-purchase inspection at Red Baron. It's got a few things that need replacing, or will need replacing soon. The steering head bearings click when you hold the front brake and push the handle bars backwards and forwards. The front wheel bearings are starting to fail. The rear brake pads need replacing. The grips kind of need replacing too, because the rubber throttle grip slides on the plastic tube bit so sometimes when you're riding the throttle will slip closed by itself a bit. And the mechanic said the chain and sprockets are 80% worn out, but I don't know how long it'll be before they need replacing.
I've had a look at the bike myself after the mechanic told me what was wrong, and I can hear the click in the steering head bearings, but I couldn't tell that there was anything wrong with the front wheel bearings. I guess I'll have another go later to see if I can tell if anything is wrong.
So far I've only ridden the bike once, just around the block by the seller's house last weekend when I first looked at it. I got my brother to ride it home, and to take it to and from Red Baron for the check, because he's got his restricted licence and I'm not used to riding in traffic or in the rain (it rained heaps today for anyone reading this that isn't in Auckland). It was bloody good I got him to ride it too, because on the way home on the motorway from Onehunga to Hillsborough road, my brother was going up the hill and the engine stopped as he changed down from 6th into 5th. But he was onto it enough to press the starter switch and the engine started again before he came to a stop.
Anyway, the bike is now safely in the garage next to my brother's bike and all my siblings' bicycles.
I woke up way too early this morning, I'm tired out of my brains, so I'm going to try to get to bed as soon as I can tonight so that I'm awake enough to go for a ride tomorrow morning.

Happy riding.

wari
31st January 2004, 20:05
Good onya erik ... a boat woulda been quite useful today out west ...

Jay widda 150
16th September 2004, 15:05
look at a zxr250 and just listen for cam noises. and let me know of any really cheap bikes goin. cheers

magnum
19th September 2004, 12:59
hi,go 2 stroke and kick ass,tzr,rgv :2thumbsup

Magua
19th September 2004, 16:20
look at a zxr250 and just listen for cam noises. and let me know of any really cheap bikes goin. cheers
Stop digging up threads!

inlinefour
28th January 2005, 00:01
Welcome and enjoy :banana:

Warren
28th January 2005, 01:10
Dug up thread from over a year ago. Can the mods rebury threads like this?