PDA

View Full Version : Leading on

Jackrat
12th September 2005, 21:32
From PF's post.
A question for those that have kids of their own.
Would or will you encourge your kids to ride.
I don't mean support them if they do get into it by themselfs but actualy lead them in that direction.

crashe
12th September 2005, 21:38
My daughter attempted to ride a scooter..
She crashed it and she was only on grass :rofl: :rofl:
But she knows that she is MUCH safer in a car than on a bike.....
So no bikes for her.

But if my granchild wants to, when she is old enough, then yep...
But she will do it legally... step by step.....

Sensei
12th September 2005, 21:41
Both my boy's I'v taken on my Z50 from 16 month's old my 7 year old now rides' its on his own & my 2 year old just loves everything about been on it to
even watches me clean the GSXR till finished . Its in there blood :Punk:

mstriumph
12th September 2005, 21:56
encourage? no ............ it's a calling, not a hobby
From PF's post.
A question for those that have kids of their own.
Would or will you encourge your kids to ride.
I don't mean support them if they do get into it by themselfs but actualy lead them in that direction.

BUBBLE
12th September 2005, 22:03
Its in the blood, my boy started on an electric powered 4 wheeler when he was 2, onto a QR50 by 4, loves it, has big crashes but gets back on every time. He's doing jumps, skids, donuts in the primary school sandpit, trys to pull wheelies (dont know where he got that from). He's just turned 5 and is getting fast, time for a faster bilke.

cowboyz
12th September 2005, 22:07
I was on a farm for 16 years and my boys are 10 and 5. The 5 year old is too young to ride alone but enjoyed being a passenger on the 4x4 but doesn't like the XR at all. I had him on the ninja up the driveway once and it took me ages to convince him to get on it and wouldn't you believe that the chain flicked off about 30 secs into the ride and locked the wheel up. Didn't drop it but came to a screaming halt (from about 7km/hr) and he definitely wont get on it now. My eldest condifently rode the 4x4 on his own but it not real keen on the 2 wheeler at all. Taking him to watch trail rides and watching people pushing their bikes to the limit and stacking them big time didn't put alot of faith in it I think. He is well aware what happens when you are being stupid or pushing bikes past the "safe" level.

I honestly cant see either of them on a road bike but if they do decide to go that way then I will support them.

oldrider
12th September 2005, 22:45
Absolutely. I taught my three kids to ride, even my handicapped son learned to do his best with help. He loved it but had to quit as his cerebral palsy grew worse. Can't even ride pillion now dam it. He is getting a mobility scooter soon. Our kids have taught their kids (2 boys and 2 girls) to ride and have got them going in go-carts as well. I think it is fantastic for their coordinational development. They also learn to manage risk. They all have these fantastic little bikes that are available now and are learning so much technical detail about them. They exhibit better attitudes to safety and are far more responsible with their machines than Grandad ever was. I hate bike knockers, ignorant shits. Cheers John.

Big Dave
12th September 2005, 22:55
Neither of my two showed any interest so I never mentioned it.
As it was with my parents - you want motorcycles (or anything dangerous) - i won't stop you, but buy and do it yourself.

TwoSeven
12th September 2005, 23:01
I suggest going to the cart track/mini-moto track and looking at the 5 year old section. More often than not, you'll just see a helmet with feet attached zooming round. Some of the spills are rather spectacular, but the kids seem to love it.

If I hand younguns, they'd be riding as soon as they could walk.

Motu
12th September 2005, 23:25
I did write a reply in that thread on exactly that point Jack,but I don't see it,so must of deleted before posting - I do more talking to myself than posting beleive it or not.

I was talking to a friend on sat,we have both been riding all our lives,and have daughters - he encourages them to ride,they ride behind his 851 on a AX100.I taught my daughters to ride off road,and bought them bikes to do so,but when they asked to ride a road bike I fudged until they both gave up on me.I feel disapointed in myself,because it was a dream to have them ride with me,with my life time friends....so they know who I am,involve them in my life more.

But I love them too,too,much.....sorry.

My 2 younger boys could be riding too,the bikes are still there,but they show no interest....because I show no interest in teaching them.

Is this sad? Sort of....it has to come from them,not me.The older we get,the more danger we see....

N4CR
12th September 2005, 23:31
That is quite sad motu.

Instead of thinking about the bad things all the time, why not think of the good things... imagine if they were riding with you and enjoying themselves to the max! Wouldn't that far outweigh the minute possibilites of a mishap, especially if you were there to train them up etc?

I'd give 'em a big suprise and go out and give them a big hug and say 'wanna do something special'. Go take one of them for a massive ride out to a waterpark or beach etc where they can have fun and do kids stuff while riding bikes to get there. I'm sure that will get them interested!

Motu
13th September 2005, 07:17
That is quite sad motu.

Instead of thinking about the bad things all the time, why not think of the good things...

Haven't met me have ya?

RiderInBlack
13th September 2005, 07:26
As a Farrier (Horse Shoer), I've seen too many parents trying to live their dreams through their childern. Kids should be encouraged in their choosen hobby, not bully to take up yours (IMHO).

bluninja
13th September 2005, 07:42
My kids have all had short trips (driveway, garden) on the bikes. My daughter at 11 is now taller than my wife so I popped a helmet and gear on and popped her round the block. She tells me that she wants to get a bike when she's old enough. I hope I am strong enough to help realise her dreams, even as I worry about her safety and wellbeing (in all aspects of her life).

I went for a wander to the local Yamaha franchise (15 mins walk from my house) to look at the MT-01. My other daughter went along with me and had fun looking at all the bikes. Her 10 year old criteria for the best bike was the one with the mirrors that were easiest to see herself in!

I won't push them into bikes, I'll let them make their own choices...they've seen me on crutches and hardly able to move for a few months after my only road crash; they've seen me with my arm in plaster from coming off on the track (I even have the screws and pins to show what was needed to put me back together). So they know what can happen.

Currently I ride to get to work and back through the traffic quickly and cheaply. Would I deny my children the opportunity to use a cheap, simple form of transport because of the vulnerability of the rider in an accident?? Hell I might as well stop them going on a bicycle!

Err....what was the question again?

Sniper
13th September 2005, 08:36
As ms-triumph said. Its a calling. Although I always wanted to ride bikes, dad mentioned its in the blood.