PDA

View Full Version : Trikes

Jackrat
26th January 2004, 22:50
For those that have some injury or similar I guess these things are one way of staying with the bike scene.I had a mate who owned one for a while,took it for a ride myself and hated the thing,all the disadvantages of both a car and a bike with none of the advantages of either.
So how about you all,what do you think of em'??? :whistle:

merv
27th January 2004, 06:54
Like you I think they are a waste of time and money would be better spent saving for an open top car if you can't ride any more.

wari
27th January 2004, 07:04
They dont do much for me ... but I know a bloke who uses one coz bikes give him pain.

I'd probably use one if I was in the same position.

Motu
27th January 2004, 08:06
I've only ridden off road trikes - they are bad enough! I rode some dirt track Yamahas with YZ motors and Hooziers on the rear - I know how you gotta ride these things...hang off the side with your right leg on the seat,head under bars and give em heaps,but that's a big jump in faith when you are lifting the inside wheel! a death trap for sure.

At the rod show in Kumeu the other week I saw some trikes made by a crowd in Taupo,like those horrible Goldwing jobs,but a bit more tasteful and done on some different bikes,like a Suzuki Intruder,or whatever the cruiser is called.

Guess if I was in bad enough shape I might ride one - but a side car is more fun for me.

SpankMe
27th January 2004, 08:42
Moved this into "Rave On" because trikes are not bikes. I have no idea what the attraction is for those things or why they think they can turn up to biker events.

georgedubyabush
27th January 2004, 09:04
Anyone seen any shocking homebuilt numbers?
Saw a real rat-trike in Kaitaia a while back. Some small ancient 4 cylinder car motor with small mc forks on front. Looong bars over the top of the engine to a little wooden box at the back filled with junk, and a sort of seat. Mismatching tyres etc... Frame made from bits of trampoline or something.

The guy even had a mishapen hand stitched with twine tunic type thing.

got a WoF though.

riffer
27th January 2004, 10:01
This trike is kinda cool...

http://icscotland.icnetwork.co.uk/classifieds/icmotors/whatsnew/content_objectid=13306083_method=full_siteid=50141 _headline=-New-three-wheeler-launched-by-BMW-name_page.html

if you can handle BMW's...

riffer
27th January 2004, 10:02
There is also the Calleja, which can be ridden rather a lot like a motorcycle. Counter-steering even works on this baby!

http://www.motobykz.co.uk/3wheel/Calleja_3_wheeler.htm

Jackrat
27th January 2004, 11:49
Moved this into "Rave On" because trikes are not bikes. I have no idea what the attraction is for those things or why they think they can turn up to biker events.

I guess if you were to lose the use of your legs and had been a biker all your life a statment like that would be a real kick in the guts. :no:

Draco
30th January 2004, 09:30
I guess if you were to lose the use of your legs and had been a biker all your life a statment like that would be a real kick in the guts. :no:

I guess if your really passionate about 2 wheels i can see how you don't consider 3 wheels as a motorcycle but as you say Jack if i was paralysed or something i'd definately consider a trike. At least you would still be riding in the wind. I have a m8 who has a trike because he suffers from severe migraines and his balance is affected so much of the time it isn't safe for him to ride two wheels, which he longs for. From what i'm told trike riders get picked on as much as bike riders by the cops, so obviously lots of people still put them in the same catagory. Each to their own i say.

Motu
30th January 2004, 11:51
I forgot that I've riden some of those little Jap 3 wheelers where the front part leans and the rear wheels don't - the ones with a cab and a windscreen wiper are way uncool and are embarassing to ride,but the nakids are way cool.

One I rode had had some work done one it,the owner had even made his own leading link front end.Lots of unsprung weight as the engine and drive unit is one piece like a scooter.It was fun to push it really hard in a corner and have the rear chattering and stepping out,lots of traction from 2 wheels that stay flat on the road,it was kinda like the rear was an anchor,no way were you going to lose the rear.

If I could find a 125cc version I'd be in like a robbers dog.

Firefight
30th January 2004, 12:22
We get a few out @ Woodhill now and again, everytime I sign one up, I look out the accident report forms (OSH Bullshit requirment) and keep them handy, :doctor:

firefight :crazy:

bitemeontheass
11th June 2004, 17:07
i lost a leg and want to build a trike not one of those shit looking things either something with a bit of style

FROSTY
11th June 2004, 17:13
I must say when Baby baby bikie came along i concidered a trike, Not a horrible VW thing but like wing or venture based. That way i still had the wind in my face but could carry both kids.
Ive been lucky --(In some cases unlucky)enough to ride a few trikes --Some are total disasters and scare the shite outa me. one or two went pretty darn well actually.
The other alternative I wondered about was a leaner sidecar unit. leans like a bike but has the chair out the side

Skyryder
11th June 2004, 17:22
If you are a commited biker and that is the only lifestyle you know well I can understand in th4e event of an injury that prevents riding a bike. Trikes are accepted in the biker faternity, rightly or wrongly they are here and here to stay. Got a mate who sold his bike so as to build one. Cost a fortune. If I ever bin and can not ride I'll just make the assumption that someone is trying to tell me something and stay home.

Skyryder

RiderInBlack
11th June 2004, 17:53
Thought Trikes didn't corner to well until I had one chasing me on a Poker Run. Needless to say I was a bit impressed, so I made time to chat with him. He reaconed that his trike could out corner most bikes and only run 16PSI in the font tyre:gob:

The last Laugh was had by the Trikers as BOP CC's last Poker Run as their were the only ones getting in and out of the paddock (it had rain, and it was muddy as hell) without difficulties:finger:

Would love to try swing-men for a side-car (if my balls ever get big enough:msn-wink: ).

I still have a lot of time for anyone who has time to join in with the commoradary of a ride regardless of their wheel number. Have enjoyed the company of the custom car dudes when there has been combined rallies:Punk:

Holy Roller
11th June 2004, 21:50
Like you I think they are a waste of time and money would be better spent saving for an open top car if you can't ride any more.
If you cant ride on two then you can be free on three

marty
11th June 2004, 22:21
i had a look out of interest at a trike that was for sale in taupo the other week. it was done by a 'reputable' trike converter (they wanted $35k for this one - a valkyre). i was shocked at the amateur modification done to the fork headset lower casting. it had been cut, a piece added, and re-welded, to put more rake on the front forks. it looked shabby, to say the least. i don't know how it got a cert. i certainly wouldn't ride a bike with a mod like that. i would have thought for a $15 - $20k mod job, they could at least get a new headset milled up. it only runs a light jappa rear diff (maybe off a 1800 lancer 4x4 or similar) off the shaft drive, some flashish paint, a flat piece of perspex which doubles for a windscreen and air brake......

it could have been done a lot nicer.

Jackrat
11th June 2004, 22:52
A guy out here in Waiuku is making Subaru based trikes.He has his shop nextdoor to my brothers fishing tackle shop.When I went an had a look some of the local rednecks were dribbling on about how cool they looked.
Neither they nor he were very impressed when I said they were as ugly as a bucket of ass holes and about as gracefull as a whale on a beach.
Well they bloody are,the drivers seat is about four foot of the ground an they probably wheigh more than the car. :no: :killingme

FROSTY
12th June 2004, 02:36
Heres one converted from a yamahe venture -

Kickaha
12th June 2004, 09:52
For some reason people don't seem to class them as trikes,perhaps because you sit in them and drive them more like a car,but the three wheeled Morgans and Guzzi engine Trikings would be something I would be keen to own.

http://www.triking-cyclecars.co.uk/

scumdog
12th June 2004, 10:04
If you are a commited biker and that is the only lifestyle you know well I can understand in th4e event of an injury that prevents riding a bike. Trikes are accepted in the biker faternity, rightly or wrongly they are here and here to stay. Got a mate who sold his bike so as to build one. Cost a fortune. If I ever bin and can not ride I'll just make the assumption that someone is trying to tell me something and stay home.

Skyryder

But if you lost a leg through some other action and couldn't ride what would someone be trying to tell you then???? :wacko: - and would you then go for a trike :msn-wink: