PDA

View Full Version : Powerlet

BlackSheepLogic
1st November 2014, 16:26
Looking around one of the US Hayabusa forums I came across a post about adding a Powerlet socket to the bike. Not being familiar with Powerless I did a quick search and found that ramsoulotions stocked them in NZ.

The Powerlet (same as the BMW accessory plug) system starts with a basic 15A socket that is installed on the bike. It’s weather resident and the cable comes pre-crimped for attachment to the battery. I purchased the 48” harness which was long enough to snake though the frame up into the a side panel at the front of the bike. The 15A fuse was supplied with the kit.

I had to drill a hole in the panel to mount it but there was really no other convenient place and I did not want a cable getting caught up in the bars. Once the socket has been installed on the bike there is a wide array of accessory cables that can be purchased to power devices on the bike.

Only a small selection of accessory cables are available though ramsoulotions, the rest can be ordered from the US. The cables I needed were stocked by ramsoulotions and I found them very helpful to deal with. I used a 30” Powerlet plug to SAE plug which I then connected to a Luggage Electrix Connector I installed on my tank bag. This provides a weather resistant connection to get a SAE plug inside the tank bag. Inside the tank bag I installed a SAE Y cable with a SAE plug and lighter socket.

Locally I purchased a lighter socket to 2A USB charger which I can use to charge or power small electric devices like my phone or second headset while on the bike.

The Powerlet solution was a reasonable cost effective solution to adding power on a bike and there is a large array of cables/accessories which expand this system. Overall I’m happy with the Powerlet ecosystem I’ve bought into for my bike. It is very convenient and I spent < $150.00 on this project.

Alternatives I considered were car lighter adapters which are not a good solution unless you have weather resident storage compartment which my bike does not have. I did not want a ghetto cables solution on the bike either..

Idubbs
1st November 2014, 17:01
+1. I'm with you. My last 4 bikes I simply fed the 48" battery to SAE lead up to the handle bar and simply zip tied it there. The connector has a weatherproof cap, and runs up the clutch cable sitting just below the handlebar. You wouldn't even know it's there. As BSL says, you can buy accessory leads and connectors to suit all manner of gadget. Just to let you know, Ram Solutions has quite a bit of Powerlet stock that don't appear on their website. Just need to ask..... I've converted the power connectors to my GPS, radar detector to SAE. And have a SAE connector leading into my tank bag which powers my phone via USB.

Oh, one thing I have done is fit a relay to the lead from the battery so power switches off with the ignition. Apart from that it all works well!

mossy1200
1st November 2014, 19:39
I added an accessory plug to the 14.

BlackSheepLogic
2nd November 2014, 13:58
I added an accessory plug to the 14.

On the Busa I added to socket to the front left side panel.