PDA

View Full Version : Good places in Auckland to sit Learners

esspro
13th September 2005, 18:48
Hi guys,

Thanks for being so helpful on my last thread. Now one final question for my entry into bikedom... Where is a good place to learn and sit learners in Auckland, preferable East Auckland. I live out Bucklands Beach/Howick way.

I'm looking preferably for a place that does a good 2ish hour lesson (as I've never really driven a bike before) followed by the basic handling skills test. Also combo packages with the theory included would be good as well (because obviously I have to sit that).

Bare in mind I can drive a manual car, have a full car license, and am familiar with the road code.

Cheers

-Spencer

Gremlin
13th September 2005, 19:59
I overfilled your mind didn't I??? :psst:

There is John Wright, under Riding Schools in the phone book, and there are also a couple of guys on this forum who also do the training.

Couple of threads about it with all the details in them somewhere... try the "Search" button :rofl:

Links:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=704&highlight=Wright
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=15428&highlight=Wright

I was enrolled in Passrite (rant on here somewhere) and luckily for me I was able to get out of it. But they do do a package which includes tuition, BHS, and learners scratchie.

You will need to brush up a little for the motorcycle code coz there are a couple of specifics...

R6_kid
13th September 2005, 21:17
i went through passrite. was a good course but i dont know that it was worth the $180 i think i paid. Get someone to give you some tuition on a bike in person (doesnt have to be a school) and you'll be sweet for the test.

When you get it take it real easy until you can do a Ride Right Ride Safe course at Whenuapai, then you will be kicking in no time!

And welcome to the site, i know gremlin is scary but we're not all like him... some of us are worse! :devil2:

esspro
14th September 2005, 13:27
There you go Alan, you can come up the road past Macleans and give me a few pointers in my Culdesac hahaha

Yeah I heard John Wright is the man, just I'm a bit low on funds at the moment so cheaping it with practise on private property and mates lessons seems like the way to go at the moment unfortunately...

But thanks

Gremlin
14th September 2005, 14:09
yep, I'll be happy to help, its just that I'm still learning, so although I can relate to exactly how you are feeling, I don't feel like I could offer the best tuition.

Happy to help, but I would also feel better if you also had some tuition from John Wright. Offering advice its easy to overlook something you take as standard, but forget to mention. Aff-man also lives somewhere around here as well.

Just pm me or chat after class.

edit: oh, also Zapf lives on bleakhouse. Both he and aff-man have more experience than me and ride some veeerry nice machinery. :love:

esspro
14th September 2005, 14:16
Cool man,

Yeah well I'm on Charles Dickens just off Bleakhouse so you can't get much closer than that!

Gremlin
14th September 2005, 14:44
yep, thats pretty damn close, I'm up on Bucklands Beach Rd, just past Eastern Beach Rd.

esspro
14th September 2005, 14:58
well I've lived at 3 The Parade, and 7a The Esplanade in the past couple of years... but now we have purchased up on Charles Dickens so should be there for good.

Leong
14th September 2005, 21:08
Hi Guys, my first post....I'm in Howick and did John Wright's first time in saddle course last Sunday, highly recommended. Never driven a bike before, but been pillion lots. Lots of good tips from John. Apparently the spot John uses, at the Honda Distributors in Manukau is larger than most other riding schools, and we were able to practice changing gears (up to 3rd) where some of the others don't even teach this.

Got my learners license today at the AA on Chapel Road today!! Staff all very efficient and relatively quiet at lunchtime... no probs at all.... Just got to get a bike now!! :2thumbsup

Gremlin
14th September 2005, 21:18
You got up to 3rd?? I only got into 2nd with John Wright :mellow:

Good luck finding a bike, it appears its getting harder and harder to find 250s.

Welcome to the madhouse :Punk:

Cookie
2nd October 2005, 14:25
Hi all,

I am a newbie here and I just passed my Basic Handling Skills test with Lee Rusty (021 NEW RIDER)

He works in Otahuhu for any one interested in doing the test in that area.

I don't know any of the other guys doing this but I found Lee was very good.

I have not been on a bike since the mid-80's and was a lot more shaky than I thought I would be. He was friendly, gave me some great riding tips and did not make me feel stupid while I was becoming familiar with the bike. :niceone:

Great to find this forum - it's a great source of info.

Regards
Stuart (ApplicatioNZ)