PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical and electrical insurance

R650R
13th November 2014, 19:48
Might be getting a new cage soon. Was wondering about peoples experiences with those mechanical insurance policies for if your engine needs costly repairs etc.
More concerned about the electric side of things as had to fork out big dollars for electric window motor once when none at wreckers.
Mechanic told me once that a lot of them don't cover much.
Very interested in hearing about ones that cover it all, eg airbag faults, engine computer, electric windows, abs computer etc. and any claims experiences.
Thanks.

mossy1200
13th November 2014, 19:53
I had mechanical insurance a very long time ago.

Turned out I was given the wrong list of items included as insured.

When my CVs started clicking I looked them up in my booklet and they were not covered.
Got them replaced then learned that they were included in my policy but the dealership had given me the wrong booklet.
Even though the repairer was on the list accredited to do work when I contacted them their reply was no pre repair approval then repair is not covered under the policy.

20 years later and I still wont buy a policy on a vehicle for repairs.

neels
13th November 2014, 20:03
I don't think I've ever heard of insurance that covers electrical as well as mechanical, the only way they can afford to cover for the mechanical is the obscene prices they charge for the compulsory servicing that has to be done to keep the policy valid.

Way too much of a risk of something very expensive and electrical going wrong, with no way of up front charging for it.

pete376403
13th November 2014, 20:38
Many years ago a friend bought a vauxhall chevette and paid extra for "mechanical insurance" . Being a chevette, it wasn't long before the engine failed big time and it needed basically a complete new short block. Insurance refused to pay out because of a "betterment" clause, ie the new engine would have left the car better than it was when the so-called insurance was purchased.
The failure was not the fault of the owner - the oil was up to correct level, radiator filled, etc., car being used in normal manner.

I have bought quite a few cars since then and have always refused to purchase this insurance when offered because of this. So far I'm ahead.

Gremlin
13th November 2014, 20:55
I wouldn't bother... too many ways for things to go wrong and way too many ways for the company to escape from paying. If you're spending enough, you'd get a new car warranty?

Otherwise, I stay with reliable things and we have an excellent family mechanic that services all our vehicles... right now I'm looking to move from a ute to a van, and while Hiaces are big dollars compared cheaper options... it's the reputation of reliability that I hope will serve me well (plus the mechanic checking anything prior to purchase). After that, it's all luck of the draw...

R650R
13th November 2014, 21:27
I wouldn't bother... too many ways for things to go wrong and way too many ways for the company to escape from paying. If you're spending enough, you'd get a new car warranty?

Otherwise, I stay with reliable things and we have an excellent family mechanic that services all our vehicles... right now I'm looking to move from a ute to a van, and while Hiaces are big dollars compared cheaper options... it's the reputation of reliability that I hope will serve me well (plus the mechanic checking anything prior to purchase). After that, it's all luck of the draw...

No where near new car dollars, but anything half decent these days has airbags, several computers to. If hat airbag light don't go out that's big dollars at wof time etc...

Gremlin
13th November 2014, 21:45
No where near new car dollars, but anything half decent these days has airbags, several computers to. If hat airbag light don't go out that's big dollars at wof time etc...
Price of safety I guess. You're in the same shoes as me. I just do a lot of reading, learning about the models etc. Try and find some owner forums, see what's regularly posted. Aiming for something popular usually means lots of parts at wreckers.

If you have a mechanic, seek their advice in what they recommend, after all, they'd probably be looking after it? For example, in my last search, I wanted a single cab ute, settled on sport utes (car like handling and low load height amongst other things) so it was Ford or Holden. Ford had rust issues due to process of manufacture. My budget was VU/VY utes. The VZ sported a new V6 engine that wasn't quite as reliable as the older model... All this knowledge builds a picture you can make an educated decision from...

Mushu
13th November 2014, 22:31
Easy enough to just pop out the cluster and disconnect the airbag light, I'd be surprised if a wof place would notice that the light doesn't come on with the reds, I've done it before with the ABS in one of my old cars (disconnected it because ABS sucks in early '90s model cars)

Since everybody seems to be on the negative side here, my cousin bought a WRX a few years back and because they are so unreliable the mechanical insurance saved him big time, in around a year he had to have the heads, a short block, 2 clutches, a turbo, at least one CV and a couple of other things replaced. The car spent more time at the workshop than it did in his garage until it was finally stolen from his girlfriends driveway.
The funny part is when he got the payout from insurance he went straight out and got another one. It turned out to have similar reliability issues so he had to buy a second car so he could have reliable transport to work.

Moral: If you buy something reliable and treat it right, you won't need mechanical insurance. If you buy a Subaru insurance is a must.

awayatc
14th November 2014, 10:08
How the fuck is 2 clutches a subaru fault.....?
sounds like the driver was a bit of a fucktard...
blowing heads etc....

Had plenty of subarus....great cars,
just need to know how open bonnet and use common sense....

re insurance...?
google potential vehicle you want to buy....
find out what is wrong with it..
If it has to many issues buy something more mainstream,
more reliable, or pick up on your mechanical skills...

Gremlin
14th November 2014, 12:56
Well mechanics are worth their weight in gold when you don't know one end of a motor from another (or anything in between).

Took a Hiace to our mechanic this morning... rear diff was fucked, entire underbody covered in underseal (so hiding something), issues with alignment, other suspect issues with panels, spotted some rust...

Now I have to wait for some more to appear as that was the remaining one that met my criteria. However, at least I didn't get a timebomb...

R650R
14th November 2014, 17:25
Price of safety I guess. You're in the same shoes as me. I just do a lot of reading, learning about the models etc. Try and find some owner forums, see what's regularly posted. Aiming for something popular usually means lots of parts at wreckers.

I...

Used to be like that when younger but I just don't have the time or interest to delve that deep these days. Sorted today anyway, getting a newer version of hat I already had as short on time to get done.

Been bitten twice in the second hand parts not available but then small price to pay vs th good features.
One time I was having a NZ new (Aussie built) V3000 panel beated. Was nz business car of the year etc... Anyway it needed a new bonnet and had to come ex Japan! Although the diamantes are identical the guy said he'd found out he hard way in the past that idea doesn't always work too.

R650R
14th November 2014, 17:33
Easy enough to just pop out the cluster and disconnect the airbag light, I'd be surprised if a wof place would notice that the light doesn't come on with the reds, I've done it before with the ABS in one of my old cars (disconnected it because ABS sucks in early '90s model cars)

t.

Cheers the claim info was the track I was wanting this thread to take.

But deliberately disabling those warning lights could come back to bite you. If you sell that vehicle or even loan it to mate and they die in a crash and the cops can attribute the airbag non deployment or the brakes locking up.... You will be in a world of trouble sonny. The courts would see it he same as if you painted the brake reservoir to make it look like it had fluid in it....

A truck combination I used to drive had a rather sensitive trailer EBS system that old activate th brakes if cornered a bit hard. I got sick of bitching about the day shift drivers disconnecting the cable all the time...
Anyway after I left that run the driver that took over liked to corner hard, not only disconnected the cable, he left it n the depo.
Then he gets pulled into routine checkpoint and cops notice cable missing. Ordered to park up for about an hour while someone drove up in car with the cable, real smart! Ticket to I think.

Kickaha
14th November 2014, 18:16
Good job you didn't bring it to one of ours then as there's been quite a few failed from that, they're also normally people who've bought them off people that had disabled them and didn't even realise

FJRider
14th November 2014, 18:26
Might be getting a new cage soon. Was wondering about peoples experiences with those mechanical insurance policies for if your engine needs costly repairs etc.

Most vehicle dealers will offer warranties (often at a price) but read the small print before signing / Paying ...

FJRider
14th November 2014, 18:38
Good job you didn't bring it to one of ours then as there's been quite a few failed from that, they're also normally people who've bought them off people that had disabled them and didn't even realise

But ... but ... warning lights always come on for no reason. And those little red lights are annoying ... :yes:

And ... whats the worst that can happen ... ???? :shifty:

oh wait ... :shit:

R650R
15th November 2014, 07:45
Most vehicle dealers will offer warranties (often at a price) but read the small print before signing / Paying ...

You win a commemorative roll of wrinkly duct tape for the most pointless stating the obvious reply post of 2014...

aws
15th November 2014, 08:44
I bought one of those warranties with a Fiat Strada 105TC back in the nineties. Was really glad I did too, as it turned out the valve guides were stuffed. One top end rebuild later and it was running sweet. Never had to claim on the electrical side though.

Just remember the basic premise with insurance though - only take out insurance if you can't afford to cover the loss yourself. Back then I couldn't afford the loss. Nowadays I probably wouldn't bother if I'm not overextending on the vehicle.

R650R
15th November 2014, 09:38
Well I just had a look via the AA as a guide http://www.aa.co.nz/insurance/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/

The kicker is you have to have all your servicing done by recognised mechanic at manufacturer intervals.... that cost straight away is going to blow any savings for someone who does their own oil changes etc...

Interesting here which cars aren't covered and that also water damage is excluded. Which is bad as most leaks are gradual and you might not notice in time and as such wouldn't be covered by ordinary car insurance either as not sudden damage. Had a leak awhile ago that only found as was removing mats to vacumn and close to one of the ecu's. Also it doesn't cover electric windows which was a big bill in past.
http://www.aa.co.nz/site-info/terms-and-conditions/aa-mbi/

Think i'll flag this idea....

Mushu
15th November 2014, 10:33
How the fuck is 2 clutches a subaru fault.....?
sounds like the driver was a bit of a fucktard...
blowing heads etc....

Had plenty of subarus....great cars,
just need to know how open bonnet and use common sense....

re insurance...?
google potential vehicle you want to buy....
find out what is wrong with it..
If it has to many issues buy something more mainstream,
more reliable, or pick up on your mechanical skills...
Most of the problems were actually due to the waste gate which they didn't figure out until the turbo was replaced it was free boosting which caused a lot of the failures, subaru drivelines are not too good at handling extra power and the clutch is a deliberate weak point on them to save the rest from failure.

The heads were the fault of the workshop that did the block, I suspect they didn't clean the old head gaskets off properly. I'm actually not sure if that fell under the insurance or if he got the workshop to pay (he actually worked there in the office and was made redundant shortly after, and the workshop closed a year later).

His new WRX hasn't had any mechanical dramas yet, all the problems there are either electrical or the result of failed sensors.

Mike.Gayner
15th November 2014, 10:37
Like most insurance, it's just a scam. Put money aside each month and self-insure.