PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rattle

darren
27th January 2004, 09:32
I just got a 1989ZXR250A
29000K on the clock.

I have rattles in the engine I took it back to the shop and
they told me they had done the Cam Chain and there was nothing wrong
with the bike and the rattle was normal. The cam chain was stuck and they fixed that to.

Can anyone help could they have stuffed the cam chain job.

When I kick into first gear and out the bike under load the sound goes away.

any thoughts please

Darren

What?
27th January 2004, 09:49
Sounds like clutch rattle to me. Most likely not serious, but worth getting an opinion from someone who is in the vicinity of the bike.

bungbung
27th January 2004, 10:07
I had a 1990 zxr250a with a suspicious sounding rattle when I bought it at 36,000km. The rattle was at idle, didn't matter if clutch was in or out. Didn't seem to matter if you were in gear or not. Mechanics at two different shops said not to worry. When the motor was loaded, the rattle would stop.
I didn't worry about it, and it still rattled when I sold it a year later.

I would take it for a second opinion at a shop you trust.

darren
27th January 2004, 10:41
thanks guys im taking it to another shop today
other than the sound I love the bike.

cheers for the help

Darren

James Deuce
27th January 2004, 10:48
Bear in mind also that the engine on a bike is out there in the breeze with no firewall, bonnet and cabin soundproofing to squelch those "horrible" mechanical sounds. It may well be perfectly normal.

wkid_one
27th January 2004, 11:00
Try sitting on the bike on idle and pull the clutch in and out - see if that changes the noise - if so - you know your problem.

Andrew
27th January 2004, 11:20
I think that the rattle could be due to the cam chain being loose. My bike does the same thing. I had my cam chain tensioner manually adjusted, this cleared up that noise for a thousand k's or so but it has come back again. I will end up having to the bike back into the mechanics each service to have the cam chain manually adjusted again.

georgedubyabush
27th January 2004, 13:29
Cam chain is a likelyhood. Just had mine done at 27000kms. A shop that knows kawas of that vintage will be able to tell you they all do that due to a dodgy cam chain tensioner design. Even new replacement parts are likely to crap out in short order apparantly. Kaitaia Motorcycles fabbed me up a manual external adjuster with a lock nut. $50 incl labour, mechanic didnt even have to crack the motor open. Rattle disappeared. Worth getting it checked at least as you dont want a loose camchain jumping a tooth and a valve getting jiggy with a piston.